These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Skils You Refuse to Train to V

Author
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#1 - 2015-03-11 16:57:25 UTC
Maybe you have more important stuff to train. Maybe you don't think that last bonus is worth it. Or you don't train skills to V unless they unlock something you need. What are the skills you categorically refuse to train to level V?

For me:
Cloaking: Not spending weeks to save one second every now and then.
Hacking: The loot isn't good enough for the gain
Torpedo specialization: That 2% damage with one weapon type isn't worth it
Tactical shield whatever it's called: Come on.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2015-03-11 21:27:34 UTC
For me the following things can be left at IV basically forever:

Armor Layering
Armor Resistance Phaseing
Advanced Drone Avionics
-(Racial)- Drone Specialization
Drone Durability
Cloaking
T2 Large/Medium/Small -(Weapon Turret)- Specialization
T2 -(Missile Type)- Specialization
Jump Fuel Conservation
Planetology
Advanced Planetology
Survey
-(Damage Type)- Shield Compensation
Tatical Shield Manipulation
Marauders
Advanced Target Managment
Alexi Stokov
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-03-11 22:01:35 UTC
Jury rigging
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#4 - 2015-03-12 00:44:07 UTC
In addition to some of the above ...

Astrometric Acquisition, Pinpointing -- I did it on one character and wouldn't do it again

Hacking (this is worth training to 5 if you do the new sleeper cache sites)

Advanced Target Mgt except for maybe Logi

Science Invention skills (Electromagnetic Physics, etc.) Almost a year of training for <2% improved chance of success

Chance Ravinne
#5 - 2015-03-12 03:01:39 UTC
Shiloh Templeton wrote:

Astrometric Acquisition, Pinpointing -- I did it on one character and wouldn't do it again

Science Invention skills (Electromagnetic Physics, etc.) Almost a year of training for <2% improved chance of success

I did some quick math, and in order for Astrometrics Acquisition to pay for itself... that is, for it to save you the amount of time in scanning that you spent training it, you would have to do somewhere around 500,000 probe scans.

I guess if you include the bonus of equipping the T2 scan array, maybe 200,000. Still...

I know it's not the only factor, but goddamn that is a good argument never to train it.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#6 - 2015-03-12 04:31:52 UTC
Antillie Sa'Kan wrote:
For me the following things can be left at IV basically forever:

Armor Layering
Armor Resistance Phaseing
Advanced Drone Avionics
-(Racial)- Drone Specialization
Drone Durability
Cloaking
T2 Large/Medium/Small -(Weapon Turret)- Specialization
T2 -(Missile Type)- Specialization
Jump Fuel Conservation
Planetology
Advanced Planetology
Survey
-(Damage Type)- Shield Compensation
Marauders
Advanced Target Managment

Huh. Never is a long time. The only ones from the list I don't have (or don't have in my queue) are T2 turret/missile specs, planetology skills, and Advanced Target Management.

But that's at 172mil on the character.

Furthermore:

Shiloh Templeton wrote:

Have these as well, though invention skills are on another character and are still grinding. Because why not....

Things I honestly can't see taking to 5?

- Capital Remote Hull Repair Systems
- Any corp management skill
- Target Breaker Amplification
- Planetology skills
- Advanced ship construction skills (but just wait; I'll probably end up doing it anyway at some point)
- Mining Connections
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-03-12 07:14:22 UTC
Advanced Large Ship Construction. 26 days for a 1% reduction in duration of jobs requiring the skill (T2 battleships and JFs)
Advanced Industrial Construction. 10 days for 1% job duration reduction

The small and mediums are needed at 5 for T3 construction, destroyer and cruiser respectively, but currently there's little point in taking the others to 5.
Daimus Daranius
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#8 - 2015-03-12 11:29:31 UTC
Ignoring all the skills already mentioned by other posters:
-Capital Remote Hull Repair Systems (Capital Remote Armor Repair Systems V is still handy for a dedicated Triage pilot)
-All the primary EWAR skills (Target Painting, Weapon Disruption), extra -5% cap use makes them not worth the train, training the secondary related skill to V that increases the module effectiveness would be way more useful
-Nanite Interfacing/Operation
-Auto-Targeting/Defense Missiles
-Infomorph Synchronizing
-Deep Core Mining
-Fast Talk (or any Social skill really)
-ORE Industrial (just mwd towards the wreck if it's out of range, and now when I think of it, it would be even more handly if you could put a MJD on a Noctis)

Amarr Victor!

Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-03-12 13:18:47 UTC
Daimus Daranius wrote:
-All the primary EWAR skills (Target Painting, Weapon Disruption), extra -5% cap use makes them not worth the train, training the secondary related skill to V that increases the module effectiveness would be way more useful
More useful yeah, but those cap skills still come in handy. I wouldnt group them with the rest of the skills mentioned in here, which really make almost 0 difference
Xayder
modro
Northern Coalition.
#10 - 2015-03-12 15:06:13 UTC
Forum Posting V

never skill for it

I don't always post, But when i post I do it with my main

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2015-03-12 19:20:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Astronautics Engineering Roll

Tactical Shield Manipulation
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-03-12 19:35:54 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

Yes

and chance, surely the seconds you save from decloak delay are almost paramount for what you do?
Jack Hayson
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-03-12 19:55:15 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:

I did some quick math, and in order for Astrometrics Acquisition to pay for itself... that is, for it to save you the amount of time in scanning that you spent training it, you would have to do somewhere around 500,000 probe scans.

That's some really weird logic.
So since acceleration control takes about 2 weeks it would only "pay for itself" after flying for 280 days with prop mod?
Chance Ravinne
#14 - 2015-03-12 19:55:15 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

Yes

and chance, surely the seconds you save from decloak delay are almost paramount for what you do?

Sometimes, but only in non-bomber ships... I fly a bomber 90% of the time. And hey I can just buy a smokescreen cloak instead and use the 20+ days of training time to earn enough ISK to buy dozens of smokescreens!

Hulk Miner
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-03-13 11:02:30 UTC
If it is a module, ship or will be a benefit for things I do when I log on then it warrants training to 5. Obviously if there are skills needed before hand that benefit my ship flying experience then I will load these up first.

None are off my list to train to level 5. I like gold... shiny gold.
Dominique Vasilkovsky
#16 - 2015-03-13 13:13:57 UTC
Any capital skills, actually, I refuse to inject them.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
Space Brutality
#17 - 2015-03-13 17:22:01 UTC
I unfortunately have every skill in the game and all I have are skills to train from lvl 4 to 5 but if I had to take a guess at what skills I wont be training to lvl 5.
it would be every capital ship skill I have at level 4 as 1 im not in low and null and 2 they want to nerf capitals further into the the ground.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Chance Ravinne
#18 - 2015-03-13 19:45:35 UTC
Hey now, those corp management skills matter! You know, assume you are running a corp of 100+ players.

Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#19 - 2015-03-13 19:48:35 UTC

Because it is better to have it at level 4 than at level 5.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

digitalwanderer
DW inc
#20 - 2015-03-13 20:57:25 UTC
Anything that isn't related to ships in some way in order to make them better.....That said, I am already at 211 skill at level 5 on ship related skills and have maybe another 50~60 ahead to max everything out that I want on the ship front.

So I'm nearly at 250 million sp, and have enough to maybe reach 300 million sp and 260~270 skills to lvl 5, at which the ultimate goal is reached, and can fly every ship class, from every race, regardless of it's load out, to their maximum potential.

This ultimate goal will have taken nearly 14 years to achieve and I'm almost at the 12 year mark right now, to become the ultimate ship pilot char.....Value of this achievement?....Priceless.
123Next page