These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Russian law on personal data

First post First post
Author
Captain Semper
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-03-10 12:42:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Semper
Hello CCP,
i have a question.
31.12.2014 a law on PD was passed and starts work at 1 september 2015. In a short this law means that all companies, sites and etc must keep russian personal data at servers that locates in Russia.
Credit card number is a pd so i wont be able to pay with card.
Even more - email is a pd so eveonline.com will be blocked with my provider if you (CCP) will not keep pd in Russia.

So what will you do with that? Do you have servers in motherland? :/

Link for more info about this law
http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/russia/2014/12/141217_russia_personal_data
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#2 - 2015-03-10 12:47:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Dude that sucks, they have 3 offices and from what I hear a server in London, I haven't heard anything about Russia.
I imagine they will find a way around this because there is entire alliances and groups of Russian players that would be forced out of the game if steps aren't taken.

*Snip* Please refrain from discussing real life politics. ISD Ezwal.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#3 - 2015-03-10 12:53:12 UTC  |  Edited by: embrel
Captain Semper wrote:
Hello CCP,
i have a question.
31.12.2014 a law on PD was passed and starts work at 1 september 2015. In a short this law means that all companies, sites and etc must keep russian personal data at servers that locates in Russia.
Even more - email is a pd so eveonline.com will be blocked with my provider if you (CCP) will not keep pd in Russia.

wut?

I'd assume, no CCP along most other foreign sites will not save PD in Russa. Further I'd assume you're CC will work nonetheless. Otherwise it will not work anywhere abroad anyway.

Regarding your mail... I'd assume your provider won't block as otherwise quite a lot will be blocked soon.

EDIT: First time I got a ISD-snip, yay!

here a link to an english site regarding this law: http://www.squirepattonboggs.com/~/media/files/insights/publications/2014/08/personal-data-of-russian-citizens-required-to-be__/files/14492--ipt-personal-data-of-russian-citizens--ne__/fileattachment/14492--ipt-personal-data-of-russian-citizens--ne__.pdf
Captain Semper
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2015-03-10 13:01:54 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
embrel wrote:
Captain Semper wrote:
Hello CCP,
i have a question.

wut?

I'd assume, no CCP along most other foreign sites will not save PD in Russa. Further I'd assume you're CC will work nonetheless. Otherwise it will not work anywhere abroad anyway.

Regarding your mail... I'd assume your provider won't block as otherwise quite a lot will be blocked soon.

You know, games is a less problem. Flights tickets. There is international booking system and they 100% wont have servers in Russia atleast few years. So after 01.09.15 we rather cant book tickets :/
The law is bullshit. Leave politic in this topic plz.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#5 - 2015-03-10 13:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
I have taken the liberty of pointing out this thread and the question in it to CCP.

Keep in mind that if and/or when an answer will be given I can not say.

Edit: Please refrain from discussing RL politics in this thread.
The question asked is valid and the reason it is asked is a factual one. There is no need to discuss the how and why that law came into place, as this is absolutely not the place to discuss such matters.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Captain Semper
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2015-03-10 13:08:01 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
I have taken the liberty of pointing out this thread and the question in it to CCP.

Keep in mind that if and/or when an answer will be given I can not say.

Well, thx
Phoenix Jones
The Markoni Dragons
#7 - 2015-03-10 13:08:34 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal

Yaay!!!!

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#8 - 2015-03-10 13:21:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Agondray
ISD always ruining forums to where you cant have a real discussion with out it being in the game.
Im sure the Russians quite know of their system, while they are a proud nation, even the US has its down sides.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Lucretia DeWinter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-03-10 13:24:54 UTC
One method is simply to rent server space in the host country. Australia is looking at this same legislation which will also affect CCP.

It is relatively simple to set up in-country Infrastructure As A Service along with policies and technologies to prevent accidental or deliberate transfer of data outwith national borders for locations where these types of laws do/will apply.

Secure remote connections into that environment aren't affected, so access to the information isn't restricted, only it's movement and storage.

It's just an additional cost of doing international business - whether that has any effect on companies choosing to cease their business in those countries or increased costs for the end customer remains to be seen.

In theory, a smaller company like CCP should be able to implement localised personal data systems for payment processing and account management without too many problems. My only concern would be whether subscriptions/PLEX in rubles would increase to cover the additional costs.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#10 - 2015-03-10 13:31:40 UTC
Great. Let's nationalize the world wide web. This is so backwards and retrograde, I need a superlative for stupidest.
Anthar Thebess
#11 - 2015-03-10 13:39:45 UTC
Many EU counties have the same regulations, and transferring personal informations outside borders is prohibited.
This includes your address , age , etc.

No one cares about it simply.
Each forum you register on usually brakes few rules.

All people that play WOT or whatever offspring usually give their personal information to people that are braking those laws.
You could say nothing new.
In case of Russian people this might quickly ... escalate , as decisions taken by Russian government are ... not dictated by "normal logic".

Still it is good that someone from Russian community cared to inform CCP about those law changes , as usually most companies notice this after something bad happens to their services.
Hilti Enaka
Assisted Homicide
#12 - 2015-03-10 13:45:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Hilti Enaka
Captain Semper wrote:
Hello CCP,
i have a question.

I think Safe Harbour bridges some of this? Problems occur if embargo's appear ie The States putting restrictions on trading with Russia, in this case if the server you had all your personal data on was in the States you can forget being able to retrieve it if you are a Russian. I myself need to mindful of server locations as to not disrupt service should Putin decide to throw toys out of pram and go to war with Ukraine for instance.

PS: a lot of this is currently appearing and in my opinion it is just to protect personal data from being saved on a server that would not be accessible due to embargo's. Just tell your government to come have a cup of tea with our David he'll understood Important Internet Spaceship Game and set it as one of his parties policy's. *Tongue in cheek* :)
Phoenix Jones
The Markoni Dragons
#13 - 2015-03-10 13:47:16 UTC
All I am saying is that they are more aft to enforcing this than other countries are.

It's of valid concern.

Yaay!!!!

stoicfaux
#14 - 2015-03-10 13:49:36 UTC
EVE PvP: Putin versus Players?

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night!

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2015-03-10 13:55:29 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Great. Let's nationalize the world wide web. This is so backwards and retrograde, I need a superlative for stupidest.

This falls under the heading of what my father calls Premeditated Stupidity.

That's when you do something so dumb, you had to have thought it through first.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Hilti Enaka
Assisted Homicide
#16 - 2015-03-10 13:57:43 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

I think Putin will need shield, armor and hull reps if that happens......

Set Desto Washington.
stoicfaux
#17 - 2015-03-10 14:02:36 UTC
Hilti Enaka wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:

I think Putin will need shield, armor and hull reps if that happens......

Set Desto Washington.

Or we could send the CSM over to Russia to straighten things out?

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

CCP Falcon
#18 - 2015-03-10 15:14:14 UTC
I'll offer a reply here, and will re-open this thread.

Please be aware that any discussion of real world politics from here going forward will result in the removal of people's ability to forum post.

There's not a huge amount that we can say regarding what's going on internally surrounding discussion of this change in the law for citizens of the Russian Federation.

What we can say, is we've been aware of this legislation since it was announced publicly, and our legal team are in contact with legal representatives in Russia, who are working with us to ensure that the transition is smooth, and that we're compliant with all the new legislation that's going to be put in place.

Right now, there's not really a great deal more detail that I can go into, but once we have more information, you guys will be the first to know.

Regardless, our community comes first and we'll make sure that we're compliant so that players living in the Russian Federation can continue to enjoy EVE Online in the years to come.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Black Drake
#19 - 2015-03-10 15:19:56 UTC
Good ol' CCP Big smile
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#20 - 2015-03-10 15:22:01 UTC
Factions. Factions everywhere.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

123Next pageLast page