These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Deep Core Confusion

Author
Edaine Numenor
Numenor Benevolent Holdings
#1 - 2011-12-22 22:38:25 UTC
Someone please explain to me the advantage to modulated deep core strip miners compared to a regular strip miner. I can't figure it out. The regular strip miner I has a better yield per cycle than the Modulated strip miner II with the level one crystal takes more power grid to install. It is a bit confusing to me as to what the advantage would be.

Liberating slaves wherever, whenever, and however I can.

Drakkar Saarith
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-12-22 22:43:31 UTC
The Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II is a speciality miner for Mercoxite as are all the Deep Core miners.

Regular Strip miners (tech 1 or 2) are unable to mine Mercoxite.

Edaine Numenor
#3 - 2011-12-22 22:49:30 UTC
Drakkar Saarith wrote:
The Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II is a speciality miner for Mercoxite as are all the Deep Core miners.

Regular Strip miners (tech 1 or 2) are unable to mine Mercoxite.

Why do they make crystals for all the ordinary ores, kernite, pyroxeres, etc?

Bob Tendo
the oNe Academy
#4 - 2011-12-22 22:56:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Bob Tendo
Both of the modulated strips (Tech 2) can be loaded with mining crystals which boost the base mining amount with a multiplier as long as you target the type of rock that matches the crystal type (if you mine the wrong type you get the base yield). Tech 2 crystals have a better multiplier but need higher skills to load. The Deep Core version can load the mexocrit xtal but has lower yield so don’t use that one unless you need it.
Edaine Numenor
#5 - 2011-12-22 23:44:28 UTC
Bob Tendo wrote:
Both of the modulated strips (Tech 2) can be loaded with mining crystals which boost the base mining amount with a multiplier as long as you target the type of rock that matches the crystal type (if you mine the wrong type you get the base yield). Tech 2 crystals have a better multiplier but need higher skills to load. The Deep Core version can load the mexocrit xtal but has lower yield so don’t use that one unless you need it.

I think I understand that part. Here is what I don't understand. I did a side by side comparison between a strip miner I on Kernite and a modulated strip miner II with a kernite I crystal. The regular strip miner beat the modulated strip miner by a lot 800+ vs 600+ per cycle. Yet the the modulated miner requires more skill to use. It doesn't seem that there is a purpose for using the modulated deep core miners for anything other than Mercoxit.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#6 - 2011-12-23 01:02:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
TLDR;
* Modulated Deep Core Miner II is best at all (but worse than a strip), but requires a lot of skill to use, so by the time you can use them you are usually already using strips.
* Modulated Strip Miner II is the best at all except use Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II fitted to a Skiff for Mercoxit.

Miner I: 40 m3

Miner II: 60 m3

Modulated Deep Core Miner II with no or wrong crystal: 120 m3
Modulated Deep Core Miner II with T1 crystal: 120 m3 * 1.625 = 195 m3
Modulated Deep Core Miner II with T2 crystal: 120 m3 * 1.75 = 210 m3
Modulated Deep Core Miner II with T1 Mercoxit crystal: 120 m3 * 1.25 = 150 m3
Modulated Deep Core Miner II with T2 Mercoxit crystal: 120 m3 * 1.375 = 165 m3

Strip Miner I: 540 m3

Modulated Strip Miner II with no or wrong crystal: 360 m3
Modulated Strip Miner II with T1 Crystal: 360 m3 * 1.625 = 585 m3
Modulated Strip Miner II with T2 Crystal: 360 m3 * 1.75= 630 m3

Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II with no or wrong crystal: 250m3
Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II with T1 crystal: 250m3 * 1.625 = 406.25 m3
Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II with T2 crystal: 250m3 * 1.75 = 437.50
Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II with T1 Mercoxit crystal and a Skiff: 250m3 * 1.25 * (1 + Exhumers 5 * 0.6) = 1250 m3
Modulated Deep Core Strip Miner II with T2 Mercoxit crystal and a Skiff: 250m3 * 1.375 * (1 + Exhumers 5 * 0.6) = 1375 m3
Ancy Denaries
Frontier Venture
#7 - 2011-12-23 12:15:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Ancy Denaries
Edaine Numenor wrote:
I think I understand that part. Here is what I don't understand. I did a side by side comparison between a strip miner I on Kernite and a modulated strip miner II with a kernite I crystal. The regular strip miner beat the modulated strip miner by a lot 800+ vs 600+ per cycle. Yet the the modulated miner requires more skill to use. It doesn't seem that there is a purpose for using the modulated deep core miners for anything other than Mercoxit.

You made the mistake of thinking T1 strips can be loaded with crystals. They can't.

Also, do not mix up the Deep Core miners with the regular ones. The Deep Cores are ONLY for Mercoxit, NOTHING else. The Modulated Strip Miner (T2 strip) is for ordinary ores with crystals. (Approx 16,7% increase in yield over T1). T1's can't use crystals at all. They're dumbfire.

"Shoot at anything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later."

"Do not be too positive. The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train." - Franz Kafka