These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

I'm in! You got me! Is there a 12 step program for EVE addiction?

Author
Cafe Bustelo
Doomheim
#1 - 2015-03-08 13:57:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cafe Bustelo
Just a couple of weeks into trial. First character I scrubbed... then made this one.

I finished all the agents in Gallente's Caille University.

Went ahead and paid for one whole year... and in the process completely got rid of the abomination (WoW) from hard drive! Woohoo!

Big problem right now: What do I want to do!? I had fun doing all agent's training. Exploring (probes, scanning, etc) was the most challenging but got it down purty good. Both military and advance military were challenging enough for a noob, but nothing catastrophic (unless the mission called for a kamikaze run). Mining and manufacturing were fun too... I could set miner to pound large asteroid and watch Netflix, play iPad games, etc while it did its thing! Lol!

Now to find a corp that does not mind a casual noob in their ranks...
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#2 - 2015-03-08 14:23:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregor Parud
Well you can do missions which is effectively the same as WOW dailies, mining is actually more boring than mining nodes in WOW, trading is an option which is pretty much the same as the auction house. Incursions might be an option at some point, it's just like raiding so that will work out fine. Ratting perhaps, no different from grinding NPC really.

PVP wise you can do open world, duelling and battlegrounds. We don't really have arena but I'm sure at some point CCP will make that happen.

Play styles for pvp you can do combat rogues or perhaps warrior with invis pots, most people use Hunters with CC alts and pocket healers so soloing can suck a bit. Also, just about everyone uses group buffs. Beastmaster is pretty OP atm.

The only thing we don't have are Nightelves, although a case could be made for Ralph being exactly that.

grumpycat.jpg
Richard Zimmerman
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-03-08 14:57:56 UTC
I'm in the same boat. Finishing up my tutorials and not sure what I should do next.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#4 - 2015-03-08 15:13:16 UTC
Welcome to Eve, first thing you need to do is forget pretty much everything that WoW taught you about MMO's, some of the activities may be similar (as above) but that's about it.

Unlike WoW expansions aren't normally NPC content, they're more about allowing us to create our own. The majority of the NPC content provided by CCP is fairly static and up until very recently rarely got worked on, the tools provided by CCP on the other hand are always being worked on and allow us to make our own content.

If you're looking for a little extra ISK after finishing the tutorials it's worth doing the Sisters of Eve Epic Arc, the initial agent is Sister Alitura and she's based in the Arnon solar system. It's a chain of about 50 missions that'll send you all over highsec, and while challenging for a newbie is doable, especially if you shout for help in local on the last but one mission.

Cafe Bustelo wrote:
I could set miner to pound large asteroid and watch Netflix, play iPad games, etc while it did its thing!
If you do this, you may find yourself exploding. Pirate

People can, and will take advantage of you not paying attention just to see your ship explode, even in highsec.

Depending on your interests you may find the following corps worth considering, most people would recommend either.

Eve University, literally a school with classes on just about everything Eve related and how to do it. Fingers in many pies, including PvP, industry, nullsec, lowsec, and wormholes. Application can take a while to process, just like any school.

RvB, all PvP, all of the time. 2 corps with an eternal war against one another. Friendly, cheap, very casual, open roams, great community. Application is fast and painless, they don't care if you're a newbie, a spy or a pirate etc. everyone is welcome.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-03-08 16:13:23 UTC
Cafe Bustelo wrote:

Now to find a corp that does not mind a casual noob in their ranks...

This quote could have come from me back in 2009 when I first came to Eve from WoW. As a fellow WoW convert I can tell you that you need to pretty much forget everything WoW taught you. This quote of yours here is the first one that I would like to address. Eve is a true MMO it needs to be played with others. You are fully capable of being a helpful and productive member of any group from day 1. There are no set numbers on anything, there are no 20 man raids there are no 3 v 3 arenas, there are no 40 v 40 battlegrounds. The elietist mentality that exists in an exclusive manner in wow exists in more of an inclusive manner in this game.

So please please please stop thinking that you are worthless in this game until you reach level cap or 640 ilevel or what ever. None of that stuff exists in this game. Also bigger is not better and more expensive is not always better. This game often is about doing more with less. Also this game is all about player created content. Therefore it's mostly a PvP or what I would call a PwP (Player with Player) focused game so the PvE content is mostly there as a means to earn isk. It can be challenging at times but you could not make it as challenging as a game where you can "run back" from the graveyard and try again.

Also this game is alot about exploring. Not just exploration like the profession nor just like running around exploring space. I mean exploring in the sense of checking something out and playing with it to see how it works. I've been playing this game since early 2009 and there are entire aspects of this game that I have never even seen and still other's that I've dabbled in but could not really guide you on.

So where as WoW was more linear and there is an obvious path that you are lead down and websites that can tell you exactly how to do stuff: what is the best spec, what is the best in slot gear, what is the best rotation etc..... none of that exists in Eve and other players can tell you what they have done and what works for them in a given situation but that does not mean it will work for you. You will have to develop your own play style and find your own niche in this game and also find others to do it with.

So good luck and have fun, welcome to eve.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#6 - 2015-03-08 16:41:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Welcome aboard

Step 1) undock

Step 2 ) shoot someone in the face.

Step 3 ) Explode

Step 4) laugh it off <----------this is super important

Step 5) reship

Step 6) reference step 1 until you don't explode immediately

repeat till you have friends....Seriously that's how most of us know each other.

Gregor Parud wrote:

The only thing we don't have are Nightelves, although a case could be made for Ralph being exactly that.

Forgive me but iv never absorbed any wow fluff, should I blush or start the mock outrage now?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2015-03-08 17:12:51 UTC
Welcome to EVE.

And just like that hot, stalker redhead Eve in real life... you will never get away. Ever. We'll break your feelings before that happens! Twisted

In all seriousness though... welcome. Please adhere to the following cardinal guidelines:

- Never fly what you cannot afford to lose

- Don't blindly trust anyone

- Don't wait for skills to finish... fit up as best as possible and go try things (anything).

- Make friends with people, even those who kill you. Especially those who kill you. They know what they are doing. You can learn things from them if you show a good attitude.

- Join communities and learn from them (attitude and mentality will carry more weight than what you can do).
Etaine O Conghaile
#8 - 2015-03-08 17:23:17 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

And just like that hot, stalker redhead Eve in real life... you will never get away. Ever. We'll break your feelings before that happens! Twisted

ShockedStraight

A Thukker, Krusual, Brutor, Sebiestor, Vherokior, Nefantar and a Starkmanir are in a shuttle together.

Who's flying the shuttle?

C.O.N.C.O.R.D.

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-03-08 17:29:04 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Gregor Parud wrote:

Forgive me but iv never absorbed any wow fluff, should I blush or start the mock outrage now?

I'd pay for a photoshopped Ralph with big pointy purple ears. Or maybe take that sock photo of his and plaster two of em on the side of his head.

Back on topic though: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

You won't be able to do all of those things as efficiently as a vet, but you can do pretty much anything in game (on some level) very quickly.

Though "loss is real" in EVE, don't be afraid to be a little reckless, better stories to be head. No guts no glory and all that. Just be smart, and remember it's a game.

Grrr.

Cafe Bustelo
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-03-08 17:54:53 UTC
Yeehaawww! I feel the luv!

Here's my mmo experience (as I am old... as in "kids already graduated college" old!)

1) Ultima Online - OMG it was open season anywhere any time... kinda like EVE and we had a blast!
2) Asheron's Call - Turbine did good with this one.
3) Star Wars Galaxies - Even thou it was bugged from the start, it was the BEST when it came to social interaction! It was the best game I ever played... until SOE (R.I.P. mother f@%^&!s!) f ^ed it all up with the infamous Combat Upgrade. I was in a guild called "Sanctuary" (SANCT tag on our names) and pretty much we all left when CU came around.

4) WoW - We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun... but they had DUMBED that game down that is not even fun anymore. Well... except for "BARRENS CHAT" which can be amusing still!

And between all those I tried... dabble on a few others that did not last long on my list for whatever the reasons... EQ, EQ2, Conan, Earth And Beyond, etc etc....

I spent 10 years flying C-130's with U.S. Air Force so love the turn and burn games using my HOTAS. But in EVE.... I don't miss it!
If I feel the need, I'll fire up WAR THUNDER and go twist and turn, pwn and get pwned!

And to quote Jules Winfiled ... "Check six motha fuka"!

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-03-08 18:42:54 UTC
/me walks by the open door and just waves at the new players.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
#12 - 2015-03-08 19:10:23 UTC
Cafe Bustelo wrote:

Here's my mmo experience (as I am old... as in "kids already graduated college" old!)

1) Ultima Online - OMG it was open season anywhere any time... kinda like EVE and we had a blast!
2) Asheron's Call - Turbine did good with this one.
3) Star Wars Galaxies - Even thou it was bugged from the start, it was the BEST when it came to social interaction! It was the best game I ever played... until SOE (R.I.P. mother f@%^&!s!) f ^ed it all up with the infamous Combat Upgrade. I was in a guild called "Sanctuary" (SANCT tag on our names) and pretty much we all left when CU came around.

4) WoW - We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun... but they had DUMBED that game down that is not even fun anymore. Well... except for "BARRENS CHAT" which can be amusing still!

And between all those I tried... dabble on a few others that did not last long on my list for whatever the reasons... EQ, EQ2, Conan, Earth And Beyond, etc etc....

I spent 10 years flying C-130's with U.S. Air Force so love the turn and burn games using my HOTAS. But in EVE.... I don't miss it!
If I feel the need, I'll fire up WAR THUNDER and go twist and turn, pwn and get pwned!

And to quote Jules Winfiled ... "Check six motha fuka"!

You will fit right in, there's loads of service men and women playing eve, particularly in th
"shooting people in the face" part of PvP.

Thing's from the military that will help you out here are stuff like the grim sense of humor, knowledge that **** just isn't fair, you will be used to interpreting important information from garbled comms , familiarity with the chain of command, dealing with incompetent colleagues, basically everything.

(not in the military myself but a lot of my Corp mates are)

Thing's from other mmo's that will help you...

Yeah, get your arsenal in a player Corp and start making friends.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#13 - 2015-03-08 19:13:27 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Cafe Bustelo wrote:

Good. Use your Ultima Online experiences as a template for how you deal with players in EVE... except you have a lot more leeway in terms of what you can get away with here.

NOTE: the GMs will only care about your activities if you...
- single out a person repeatedly, for no reason, and over a significant course of time.
- are an asshat in the Rookie Systems.
- somehow manage to evade CONCORD (the "final" NPC police... not to be confused with the Faction/Racial Police, which you are more than allowed to evade and/or shoot).
- do Real Money Trading (see: sell ISK for money)
- cause lag (cargo containers ERRYWHAR!!!)
- use single-button-"multi-casting" macros
- use bots

This means that in-game you can legally...
- ransom other players/corporations/alliances
- blackmail players/corporations/alliances
- start a protection racket.
- scam players out of their hard earned ships, equipment, and/or money
- spy on players/corporations/alliances
- steal from corporations/alliances
- assassinate players/corporations/alliances
- suicide gank (see: the act of killing a player in high-security space before CONCORD shows up to kill YOU)
- non-consensually declare war on corporations/alliances
- be contracted (as a mercenary) to non-consensually declare war on corporations/alliances
- trick people into allowing you to engage them
- have friends/allies come and provide remote assistance during a 1v1 duel
- demonize a player/corporation/alliance through propaganda (as long as it stays in the context of the game).

The list goes on. Be creative. Twisted
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-03-08 19:21:56 UTC
Yeah, try and play it like UO, just with more explosions and shiny things to look at :)
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
#15 - 2015-03-08 20:03:37 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Cafe Bustelo wrote:

Good. Use your Ultima Online experiences as a template for how you deal with players in EVE... except you have a lot more leeway in terms of what you can get away with here.

NOTE: the GMs will only care about your activities if you...
- single out a person repeatedly, for no reason, and over a significant course of time.
- are an asshat in the Rookie Systems.
- somehow manage to evade CONCORD (the "final" NPC police... not to be confused with the Faction/Racial Police, which you are more than allowed to evade and/or shoot).
- do Real Money Trading (see: sell ISK for money)
- cause lag (cargo containers ERRYWHAR!!!)
- use single-button-"multi-casting" macros
- use bots

This means that in-game you can legally...
- ransom other players/corporations/alliances
- blackmail players/corporations/alliances
- start a protection racket.
- scam players out of their hard earned ships, equipment, and/or money
- spy on players/corporations/alliances
- steal from corporations/alliances
- assassinate players/corporations/alliances
- suicide gank (see: the act of killing a player in high-security space before CONCORD shows up to kill YOU)
- non-consensually declare war on corporations/alliances
- be contracted (as a mercenary) to non-consensually declare war on corporations/alliances
- trick people into allowing you to engage them
- have friends/allies come and provide remote assistance during a 1v1 duel
- demonize a player/corporation/alliance through propaganda (as long as it stays in the context of the game).

The list goes on. Be creative. Twisted

Additionally, you are not allowed impersonate another player and there are limits to how thoroughly you can humiliate people
( search " bonus room " scam or " Erotica1" for context ).
CCP are deliberately vague about where the line lies as this community will find ways to game the nuances of it if they are Too clear.
overall however it's not quite the den of villainous scum as some would have you believe, just don't trust people with your stuff.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#16 - 2015-03-08 20:49:06 UTC
overall however it's not quite the den of villainous scum as some would have you believe, just don't trust people with your stuff.

Indeed.

EVE actually more like a space-themed "watering hole" of a bar... but with smarter rednecks... and it's "self service"... and everyone has a gun. Shocked
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-03-08 21:10:34 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Indeed.

EVE actually more like a space-themed "watering hole" of a bar... but with smarter rednecks... and it's "self service"... and everyone has a gun. Shocked

Uhm...is that even possible, a smarter redneck.

Well, now that I think of it, if they can spell their own lastname, that already makes them smarter then the general oneP

p.s. Comes from someone who lived among the native rednecks in their natural habitat for 5 months. It would have been one hell of a documentary for NGC.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Cafe Bustelo
Doomheim
#18 - 2015-03-08 21:18:04 UTC
Guess I'll keep the fact that I live and work in Arkansas to myself... Redneck U here! LOL! No, I was born and raised in a completely different parallel universe than this forsaken place! Twisted
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
#19 - 2015-03-08 21:19:54 UTC
Wish I had malicanis description bookmarked
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#20 - 2015-03-08 22:38:52 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Indeed.

Except for the people who refuse to carry one. We just steal their wallets and send them packing though.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

12Next page