These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Game mechanic for abandoned hisec POSs

Author
Kuga
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2015-03-07 17:53:11 UTC
I think the offline POS issue needs attention from CCP. They are a nuisance, take up server space and offer no gameplay value.

I would suggest that POS towers offline for more than 14 days should 'float off'.
Orlacc
#22 - 2015-03-07 18:32:00 UTC
Like housing in UO.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#23 - 2015-03-07 20:09:21 UTC
... something-something, 30 day timer... something-something... grrr, CCP will get around to it "Someday" (TM).

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Kestrix
Nascent Omega
#24 - 2015-03-07 20:15:56 UTC
Three options as I see it.

1) Talk to the owners and negotiate for the tower to be removed

2) Hire mercenary's to war dec the offending corp and force the owners to pull it down or face losing it.

3) War dec the offending corp yourself and force the owners to pull it down or face losing it.

(Options 2 and 3 can be combined if you feel you lack the expertise or numbers to do it yourself.)
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#25 - 2015-03-07 20:42:16 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Yarda Black wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Xpaulusx wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
I know this has been asked before, but with recent updates and prior locked threads I'll ask again...

Is there any game mechanic yet that combats the litter of abandoned POS's in hisec that is stopping others?

There already is one, its called a War Dec.

That isn't a solution by itself.

True. The solution is shooting the thing into a thousand pieces

In high-sec that requires a wardec.

Which is where you yourself have chosen to play EVE in the first place isn't it?

Not necessarily. There are many EvE activities that don't require PvP.

Anyway, case closed.. There is no new mechanic.

Name one and someone here will disprove it.
Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#26 - 2015-03-08 00:22:22 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Xpaulusx wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
I know this has been asked before, but with recent updates and prior locked threads I'll ask again...

Is there any game mechanic yet that combats the litter of abandoned POS's in hisec that is stopping others?

Yes it is. In fact, it's the best kind of solution - a player mediated one. You know. Kind of makes sense in a multi-player game with a player driven economy. Stop being so lazy/helpless.

No it's not a solution in itself. Simply wardecing a corp does not remove a POS, you will have to take steps after that.
Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#27 - 2015-03-08 00:23:43 UTC
HeXxploiT wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Xpaulusx wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

It is a solution. One person in a battleship can take a small tower down in a couple hours, a medium in about 6 and a large over the course of a day. A small group of people in much less time. We are a two man corp who has downed a handful of towers without any problem. I fail to understand how people can't deal with this.

Again.. wardecing does not magically spawn a group of battleships to attack a POS.. so it's NOT a solution by itself.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#28 - 2015-03-08 00:29:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Again.. wardecing does not magically spawn a group of battleships to attack a POS.. so it's NOT a solution by itself.

But relying on mechanics to remove a POS, when other tools are available, is lazy play.

If you want a POS removed, options are available to you already that involve interaction with and against other players. That's a good thing.

CCP doesn't need to create a mechanic. Wardec the Corp and arrange for the tower to be removed. You'll create gameplay both for you and for others.
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#29 - 2015-03-08 01:29:17 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

But relying on mechanics to remove a POS, when other tools are available, is lazy play.

If you want a POS removed, options are available to you already that involve interaction with and against other players. That's a good thing.

CCP doesn't need to create a mechanic. Wardec the Corp and arrange for the tower to be removed. You'll create gameplay both for you and for others.

Sometimes it is not enough to have an answer to your dilemma, A "but" is always thrown in for good measure.

Seems to me this is a case of either "I want, but do not want to put effort into it" syndrome. or "I want, but do not want to be shot at back" cowardice.
Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#30 - 2015-03-08 01:37:07 UTC
malcovas Henderson wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

Sometimes it is not enough to have an answer to your dilemma, A "but" is always thrown in for good measure.

Seems to me this is a case of either "I want, but do not want to put effort into it" syndrome. or "I want, but do not want to be shot at back" cowardice.

Or it could just be a simple question. No need to overthink Mr Psychologist.
Cancel Align NOW
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2015-03-08 04:11:03 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

Your response helped validate his opinion.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#32 - 2015-03-08 04:19:12 UTC
Cancel Align NOW wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

i'll go for the OP being both. Big smile

Just Add Water

Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#33 - 2015-03-08 04:20:24 UTC
Cancel Align NOW wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

How exactly?
A mechanic that naturally expires unused POS is far more simple than wardecing a corp and putting together the fleet to fight the POS and fleet.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#34 - 2015-03-08 04:24:09 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

How exactly?
A mechanic that naturally expires unused POS is far more simple than wardecing a corp and putting together the fleet to fight the POS and fleet.

so why and how a huge pile of metal like a POS would unanchor itself and disappear? clearly somebody should do it.

Just Add Water

Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#35 - 2015-03-08 04:28:26 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

How exactly?

so why and how a huge pile of metal like a POS would unanchor itself and disappear? clearly somebody should do it.

There is loads of convincing ways it can be done that make sense and are viable. Google, some of the suggestions are quite good.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#36 - 2015-03-08 04:32:47 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

How exactly?

There is loads of convincing ways it can be done that make sense and are viable. Google, some of the suggestions are quite good.

stop right there, nobody is googlin anything.

if you want that space, you take it, if you can't then you don't deserve it. nobody is going to do it for you. Straight

Just Add Water

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#37 - 2015-03-08 04:37:18 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

I believe that is precisely the point everyone is making.

It is not supposed to be "easy."***
If you want to put up a structure anywhere in EVE you are going to have to have some kind of firepower (or know someone with access to firepower) at your disposal.

If you don't have something that basic, then any structure you have will not last long (against someone who may attack it).

Think of this as a preemptive "barrier to entry" with regards to dealing with structures in EVE.

*** Also... simple semantics here... simple =/= easy
Wardeccing a corporation and getting enough firepower to tear it down is simple (stupid simple, in fact)... but it isn't easy.
What you are asking for is something easy.
Aribeth Thiesant
Fluffy Inquisition
#38 - 2015-03-08 04:40:06 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

How exactly?

stop right there, nobody is googlin anything.

if you want that space, you take it, if you can't then you don't deserve it. nobody is going to do it for you. Straight

Dont ask questions about a POS unanchoring itself if you're not prepared to look yourself.

Also, stop banging on about wardecing a POS, it's been mentioned already a dozen times!
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#39 - 2015-03-08 04:51:31 UTC
Aribeth Thiesant wrote:

Dont ask questions about a POS unanchoring itself if you're not prepared to look yourself.

Also, stop banging on about wardecing a POS, it's been mentioned already a dozen times!

are you serious? rhetorical question dude...

Just Add Water

Sapheni
Black Moon Mining
Huzzah Federation
#40 - 2015-03-08 10:34:52 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
It is not supposed to be "easy."

So explain why CCP makes it easy for the POS owner to reserve a space at their moon of choice? One person can deploy a POS; use it for a bit; offline it to save fuel and leave it in place so no-one else can use the moon. If war-decced then the owner has plenty of time to refuel, rearm and stront before it can be attacked.

Meanwhile, the player who would like that moon has to spend isk on a war decc, then assemble a sufficiently large fleet to knock down the shields/guns, then wait out the reinforcement timer and then destroy it, giving plenty of time for the POS owner to find some people interested in free hi-sec PvP.

This could be a major investment and risk for a small hi-sec industrial corp. They either take that risk or they don't. If they don't then the owner can wait out the war dec and then offline the POS again.

The owner has it far too easy.
Previous page123Next page