These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Scylla] Ishtars

First post First post
Author
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#221 - 2015-03-04 14:23:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Freelancer117
Nice to see a scalpel and not a hammer. Cool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Rothar Luke
Did he say Jump
Deepwater Hooligans
#222 - 2015-03-04 15:42:13 UTC
I don't think this will change the use of the Ishtar in fleets enough.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#223 - 2015-03-04 17:29:38 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Aplysia Vejun wrote:

+ever seen a BS with such low dmg? - Yes, they have the same or more as most BS doctrines.
+ depends on the sentries used. Lower dmg with the BS- range ones - same damage
+ as most ships for their weapon system - Their tracking and application is much better
+ they arent - Depends
+ not enough cargo bay on your favorite ship? - We do run out of ammo on long ops
+ same as missiles - missiles can be firewalled
+ slowest base speed of all HAC - fast enough to avoid bombing runs and mitigate incoming damage.
+ badest one of all HAC. Enough though - They dont have to make room for weapons, so they do have the most fitting room.
+ its their primary weapon - its also overpowered on such a hull.
+ sometimes good sometimes bad - always good

You forgot can fit an oversized prop mod ON TOP of a completely normal fit WITHOUT fitting mods.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#224 - 2015-03-05 09:47:27 UTC
Xequecal wrote:
How to fix Ishtars: Give them a natural counter. Right now they out range literally anything that isn't shooting directly into their T2 resists, which is the major problem.

Ishtars are naturally weak to lasers but there is no medium laser platform that has the range to hit them and the laser battleships aren't viable due to Tachyons taking too much fitting.

Give the zealot a second optimal bonus instead of the cap bonus or even the damage bonus, and you've got a great counter. Rails can get double optimal bonuses, why not lasers?

Just buffing battleships fittings in general would also achieve that. Make arti boats and apocs be able to fit the large gusn more easily while still fielding a tank and suddenly ishtars take heavy losses on the fight.

But still.. the ishtar outclassed ALL other hacs and it needed a serious nerf.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

GREYBOBSASS
Doomheim
#225 - 2015-03-05 12:14:27 UTC
current state of ishtars is pretty much summed upo in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdx8tWhvY
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#226 - 2015-03-05 15:25:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Would it be terrible if the Ishtar and the Eos swapped bonuses?

I mean, look at the two. The Eos would be great (but not OP due to lack of mids) and the Ishtar would receive the nerf it deserves.

Ishtar:

Gallente cruiser skill bonus per level:

10% bonus to drone hitpoint and damage
7.5% bonus to hybrid turret tracking speed

HAC skill bonus per level:

7.5% bonus to Heavy drone tracking
7.5% bonus to Heavy drone max velocity

Eos:

Gallente Battlecruiser skill bonus per level:

7.5% bonus to armour repairer amount

Command ship skill bonus per level:

7.5% bonus to Drone optimal range and Tracking
5km bonus to drone control range

Would this be terrible or would it not simply fix the Ishtar problem but give all the PvE'rs and others the Ishtar capability in a heavier, slower package that favours armour over speed?

The VNI can also stay as is as it's not as bonkers as the Ishtar and this would also differentiate it fully from the Ishtar instead of just being a crappy, baby Ishtar
Aplysia Vejun
Children of Agasul
#227 - 2015-03-05 17:08:51 UTC
This would certainly solve the Big-Fleet-PVP problem.
It would make it crap in pve too though (heavy drones get killed too fast / really bad tank for the now exclusive melee ishtar)
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#228 - 2015-03-06 09:55:21 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:

I mean, look at the two. The Eos would be great (but not OP due to lack of mids) and the Ishtar would receive the nerf it deserves.

Ishtar:

Eos:

Would this be terrible or would it not simply fix the Ishtar problem but give all the PvE'rs and others the Ishtar capability in a heavier, slower package that favours armour over speed?

The VNI can also stay as is as it's not as bonkers as the Ishtar and this would also differentiate it fully from the Ishtar instead of just being a crappy, baby Ishtar

This seems rather reasonable. As someone in...either this thread or another thread I have lost track because there's been so many of these over the years...anyway as someone said once, the EOS could potentially replace Ishtars for the spamming of sentry drones. But Battlecruisers, and especially command battlecruisers which require charisma, take a lot longer to train. So people are less likely to train for them en masse. Will some? Absolutely. But the EOS has a lot less mobility, making the use of it a lot more balanced than an Ishtar.

However, this still doesn't solve a fundamental problem:

Sentry drones still don't belong in the game. They have all of the advantages of drones, with almost none of the drawbacks. Their innate nature unbalances power dynamics within classes. As I've said previously, that an ishtar can put out a flight of kinetic drones, or EM drones, negates the entirety of two other sniper HACs.

Sentry drones have pure damage selection, long range, no ammo, no cap, (mostly) immune from EWAR (you'd have to ewar all 5 at once to actually have the same effect as EWAR-ing a single turret ship), aggression independent of being able to lock, instant damage application, up to 50 can be assigned to a single trigger ship...they're better than turrets or missiles in dang near every way. Their drawbacks are highly limited and mostly mitigated through good piloting and fleet tactics.

Everything that balances drones, missiles, and turrets goes out the window with sentries. They will, by their very nature, NEVER be balanced in this game. They can't be because they provide most or all of the best parts of both turrets and missiles at the same time.

As a person who, yes, has invested in Ishtars and sentries, both in isk and in training, I don't have a doubt in my mind that this game would be better off without sentries. I want them gone. Even if, and especially because, it'll hurt my PvE and PvP abilities, which with sentries, are far too one-sided. Everything is just so easy with sentries.

For clarity, I should say yes, I'm aware sentries and ishtars are fully beatable. I've never said they were invincible. Just that they offer far too many advantages without the sorts of drawbacks that keep other weapon systems balanced.
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#229 - 2015-03-06 13:22:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Harvey James
Rise you still haven't confirmed whether this 5% sentry dps/HP is applied too all sub battleships or not?

e.g. the VNI could out dps the ishtar if you don't

p.s. sentries still need an all round nerf.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#230 - 2015-03-06 13:27:47 UTC
Khan Wrenth wrote:
Everything that balances drones, missiles, and turrets goes out the window with sentries. They will, by their very nature, NEVER be balanced in this game. They can't be because they provide most or all of the best parts of both turrets and missiles at the same time.

Actually, non application bonused sentries are about right. Certainly balancable.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#231 - 2015-03-06 16:05:52 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Actually, non application bonused sentries are about right. Certainly balancable.

Hmm, an interesting idea. To take it a step further (I don't think this is quite where you wanted to go with this, but bear with me), what about exempting sentry drones from all bonuses, module and hull alike? (skill bonuses still apply) There are weapon systems in this game that are never granted bonuses, because "they are perfect where they are, they are not in need of bonused hulls or modules to make them work right", i.e. smartbombs.

If we remove all module and hull bonuses, we end up with sentry drones that have some real compromises. Currently, a basic fit Ishtar out DPS's anything an Eagle fit can do (this is before the Railgun nerf, go figure) at any meaningful range, and where the Eagle out-ranges an Ishtar, it becomes little more than a tickle. Hence, sentries making other HACs obsolete. BUT! Given the immense advantages sentry drones have, if we remove any hull or module bonuses from effecting them, they become much easier to balance as units, and then their DPS and tracking come down to a level where you can make serious considerations if you want to field Eagles or Ishtars.

As units that have serious EWAR, range, cap, damage selectability, and ammo advantages over guns, it would only make sense that they would have less DPS and application. We would have to then do *slight* buffs to the base stats (in range and tracking) of some of the sentries because some of them don't have the range or tracking to be usable just on their stats alone. And the other sentry drones might need some nerfs to help flatten out the curve a bit. But it could work...dare I say it could work really well, in fact.
Skir Skor
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#232 - 2015-03-08 04:57:06 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:

This change is being made to encourage diversity in ship choice across EVE.

At the moment BC/BS are in a pretty bad spot, which is a real shame. Nobody is going to change from an Ishtar to a Mym/Domi with this pass, I can't see how you expect more diversity when the only change is a reduction to sentry drone dps.
Lone Hitman
The Praxis Initiative
Gentlemen's Agreement
#233 - 2015-03-08 06:56:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Lone Hitman
How about if there were multiple sizes of Sentry Drones (like there are for combat drones) and their base damage and tracking is adjusted to a level consistent with their size. Then Ishtars should only get bonuses for the medium ones... and it might be able to stay at +10% damage per HAC level as long as the medium sentries' base DPS is considerably worse than heavy combat drones.
Asa Shahni
Inevitable Outcome
E.C.H.O
#234 - 2015-03-08 11:58:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Asa Shahni
1- remove 5% tracking bonus to sentry and replace it by 5% damage bonus so it become 5% to optimal and damage
2- change the 10% damage bonus so it only affect heavy, light and medium drones
3- remove a mid and add a low (let's be honest you guys cling to that 5mid bull **** and avoid talking about it even if its one of the most OP thing on this ship)
4- remove control range bonus and add 4% armor bonus

Problem solved you have a normal hac with the role it should have since the first change not that stupid kiting 5 mid monster you gave us for no damn reason.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#235 - 2015-03-08 23:03:28 UTC
- sentry bonus, as it was proposed many times before

as of now it's stupiditly way to solid combination but i personally think that it's really high-end of gallente military scince and CreDrone technoligies. Which is simply means Gal's are the kings of the hill. Too bad such an amazing piece of combat art has to be inhume.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

TerminalSamurai Sunji
Perkone
Caldari State
#236 - 2015-03-10 17:04:03 UTC  |  Edited by: TerminalSamurai Sunji
I'm sure this has been stated, didn't take the time to read the whole thread. One of the most blatant things that I see in respect to the Ishtar compared to the other HACs is the fact that the Ishtar has way too many bonuses. Forget about the fittings for a minute.

Compare the Ishtar to the Deimos:
Ishtar:
Gallente Cruiser bonuses (per skill level):
10% bonus to Drone hitpoints and damage
7.5% bonus to Heavy Drone max velocity *and* tracking speed

Heavy Assault Cruisers bonuses (per skill level):
5000m bonus to Drone operation range
5% bonus to Sentry Drone optimal range *and* tracking speed

Deimos:
Gallente Cruiser bonuses (per skill level):
7.5% bonus to Armor Repairer amount

5% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret damage
10% bonus to Medium Hybrid Turret falloff

Muninn
Minmatar Cruiser bonuses (per skill level):
5% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret rate of fire
5% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret damage

10% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret optimal range
7.5% bonus to Medium Projectile Turret tracking speed

Looking at HAC's on a whole, most have 4 bonuses (Not counting the role bonus), others have 3 (such as the Deimos), the Ishtar has a blatant 5, which could be argued higher in some cases.

When you directly compare the Ishtar hull to all other HAC hulls (Without looking at bonuses) On paper it is a sub par ship. The only logical thing to point to are the hull bonuses. Given the bonuses of the hull currently, there is little reason to fit more than 2 omni tracking, and I can't say I've seen any reason to fit a drone link augmenter, which is the reason why it's so open for utility/survivability fits.

One should not be able to maximize dps from a hull without sacrificing other aspects of it.
Adriana Nolen
Sama Guild
#237 - 2015-03-10 20:45:09 UTC
Rise, instead of this, just remove sentry bonus completely from Ishtar. Bump up light/med/heavy dmg to 12.5 per level.
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#238 - 2015-03-11 19:17:38 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:

Ishtar:

Eos:

A very sexy suggestion.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Aplysia Vejun
Children of Agasul
#239 - 2015-03-11 22:22:28 UTC
Not really, no. It would make another brawler of the ishtar. One with a bad hull for it ( compared with the deimos). Slow, not enough CPU and power to even fill all slots. AND it kills its role as a drone only ship.
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#240 - 2015-03-11 23:18:03 UTC
Aplysia Vejun wrote:
Not really, no. It would make another brawler of the ishtar. One with a bad hull for it ( compared with the deimos). Slow, not enough CPU and power to even fill all slots. AND it kills its role as a drone only ship.

ishtar as a brawler is just a bad idea, the gila would trump it every time comfortably.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using