These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Clicking stuff in space

Author
Serpent
Stygian Council
#1 - 2015-02-26 02:45:14 UTC
Just a small fix, but one that would make d-scanning belts, etc. much easier:

Currently, when you click an asteroid belt (or other celestial), its description appears. When there is a celestial directly to the right of it, that description covers the celestial making it un-clickable. This forces me to d-scan space from right to left so that I'm not covering my next target.

Image of my plight is here:
http://gyazo.com/0033d560b4d4b490982ad9acbb696043

As you can see in the image, the text covers the belt behind it. It would be nice if we could "click through" the text.

Excuse me if this has been brought up before, or if I'm missing some essential piece that would enable me to fix it.
Iain Cariaba
#2 - 2015-02-26 17:58:44 UTC
One word: Overview.
Charlie Jacobson
#3 - 2015-02-26 20:01:06 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:

The OP brings up a very valid point. It's not practical to switch to an overview that shows stuff like asteroid belts when d-scanning because it adds extra junk to the d-scan results as well. It would be better if interacting with brackets in space wasn't such an uphill battle against the awkward UI.
Altirius Saldiaro
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-02-26 20:44:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Altirius Saldiaro
I wish the distance was listed farther to the left. Its annoying when theres a long discription but the distance is so far to the right that it gets covered by my overview.

I shouldn't have to have so many windows open. In space brackets need a lot of work.
Iain Cariaba
#5 - 2015-02-26 21:14:48 UTC
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

The OP brings up a very valid point. It's not practical to switch to an overview that shows stuff like asteroid belts when d-scanning because it adds extra junk to the d-scan results as well. It would be better if interacting with brackets in space wasn't such an uphill battle against the awkward UI.

There's a check box combined with a drop down menu in the d-scan window that allows you to pick which overview setting you use to scan with. When you use this option, the chosen tab in the overview window is irrelevant, d-scan will always use whichever setting you tell it to.
Charlie Jacobson
#6 - 2015-02-27 01:27:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Charlie Jacobson
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

There's a check box combined with a drop down menu in the d-scan window that allows you to pick which overview setting you use to scan with. When you use this option, the chosen tab in the overview window is irrelevant, d-scan will always use whichever setting you tell it to.

I was not aware of this drop down menu. Regardless, it is still tedious to have to switch overviews to use d-scan. If someone shows up on your actual grid while you're switching to a cluttered overview you can easily get caught.

This is also all beside the point. Clicking stuff in space should be made less clunky.
scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#7 - 2015-02-27 01:33:28 UTC
Same thing happens with pos mods, that is that a description overlays it's neighbors and makes things clunky. After watching the first bit of o7, I'm hoping they're fixing this.
Murkar Omaristos
The Alabaster Albatross
Unreasonable Bastards
#8 - 2015-02-27 01:48:05 UTC
+1, this has always bothered me What?
Iain Cariaba
#9 - 2015-02-27 08:30:45 UTC
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

I was not aware of this drop down menu. Regardless, it is still tedious to have to switch overviews to use d-scan. If someone shows up on your actual grid while you're switching to a cluttered overview you can easily get caught.

This is also all beside the point. Clicking stuff in space should be made less clunky.

Really? So I'll go out on a limb and guess that you also don't know how to use the tactical overlay with a zoomed out view to see things warping in on you without having to glare at your overview. Seriously, the tools are already there to provide you all the information you need, usually in multiple formats. Try learning to use the already provided tools.
Charlie Jacobson
#10 - 2015-02-27 08:59:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Charlie Jacobson
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

Really? So I'll go out on a limb and guess that you also don't know how to use the tactical overlay with a zoomed out view to see things warping in on you without having to glare at your overview. Seriously, the tools are already there to provide you all the information you need, usually in multiple formats. Try learning to use the already provided tools.

I'm not opposed to learning to use the existing tools better. I still think the UI for clicking stuff in space needs some improvement. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive. The image in the original post demonstrates the issue perfectly. A quality of life improvement would be to make it possible to click through the text.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#11 - 2015-02-27 09:08:01 UTC
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
I'm not opposed to learning to use the existing tools better. I still think the UI for clicking stuff in space needs some improvement. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Indeed.

I'll never understand the logic (or lack there of) behind players that think something existing in one format precludes there being any reason to add other formats or fix problems with already implemented alternatives.

If there was a bug tomorrow where you could no longer warp to objects you've right clicked in space, these people would argue it shouldn't be fixed because you can warp to it through your overview anyways.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Iain Cariaba
#12 - 2015-02-27 16:24:23 UTC
McChicken Combo HalfMayo wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
I'm not opposed to learning to use the existing tools better. I still think the UI for clicking stuff in space needs some improvement. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Indeed.

I'll never understand the logic (or lack there of) behind players that think something existing in one format precludes there being any reason to add other formats or fix problems with already implemented alternatives.

If there was a bug tomorrow where you could no longer warp to objects you've right clicked in space, these people would argue it shouldn't be fixed because you can warp to it through your overview anyways.

Just as I never understand the logic (or lack there of) behind players who are either unable or unwilling to learn how to use the existing system and constantly bleat for new ways to do the same stuff they can already do, trying to justify their bleating under the guise of "quality of life improvements."

Also, your example here is flawed. What you use for an example is the breaking of an already existing tool, not the addition of a new method because the current methods are too hard for you to use.
Serpent
Stygian Council
#13 - 2015-03-01 02:21:12 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:

Just as I never understand the logic (or lack there of) behind players who are either unable or unwilling to learn how to use the existing system and constantly bleat for new ways to do the same stuff they can already do, trying to justify their bleating under the guise of "quality of life improvements."

I'm not looking for a new way to do things. The method in which I do it already exists. It only becomes troublesome or impossible when words and tooltips aren't click-through.

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#14 - 2015-03-01 06:27:11 UTC
Actually lain, in wh space it's a sort of big deal. When you drop probes, scan and bm stuff - it's displayed on the solor system map. In cluttered systems you do a lot of zooming in and zooming out to work around stuff propogating on the map that you don't want there.

You say there are simple things to do to make it go away. I've been scanning for several years and you know what - I don't want to have to keep doing simple things to swap between this and that as I perform a variety of different activities in the wh I scan out and travel through. It sux.

At this point all the overview gymnastics, zooming in and out and all the other work arounds I employ are pretty much automatic. Would I be willing to learn to not do a lot of silly things? Heck yeah.

I get that it's not a big deal to a guy doing FW, but to a wh gal the auto populate thing sux.

+1 from a gal who lives on dscan, scanning and the solar system map view.