These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Female avatars in DUST 514?

First post
Author
Apollo Gabriel
Mercatoris
#41 - 2011-12-22 01:45:15 UTC



you mean it took 2 yrs to render using the current WIS?
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#42 - 2011-12-22 01:53:05 UTC
Looking through all the comments and not even one regarding how a Female Dustie will potentially have an advantage due to their smaller avatar profile on the battlefield. Advantages however small will be used in any competitive environment.

Hell, I'd roll a one legged midget if I thought it would give me an edge in Dust514.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#43 - 2011-12-22 01:58:05 UTC
Systematic Oppression wrote:
For those of you who think women can't be soldiers and particularly ground combat soldiers, I'd like to direct you to this historical example. Miss Pavlichenko She was one of the most successful snipers in history and by extension one of history's greatest soldiers.



She took down 36 other snipers. Not bad.


Too bad she did it for a crap cause, but then the snipers she took out were also doing what they were doing for a crap cause too.


Real life is kind of like 0.0.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Fahad AlAmir
Sundholm Aerospace
#44 - 2011-12-22 02:02:16 UTC
Azahni Vah'nos wrote:
Looking through all the comments and not even one regarding how a Female Dustie will potentially have an advantage due to their smaller avatar profile on the battlefield. Advantages however small will be used in any competitive environment.

Hell, I'd roll a one legged midget if I thought it would give me an edge in Dust514.

Not really. Halo: Reach lets you choose to use a male or female spartan, and the vast majority of people use the male model.

With the amount of gear soldiers will be wearing in Dust, they won't even need to change the hitboxes; it'll be a cosmetic change if anything.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2011-12-22 02:35:01 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Professor Alphane wrote:
Systematic Oppression wrote:
For those of you who think women can't be soldiers and particularly ground combat soldiers, I'd like to direct you to this historical example. Miss Pavlichenko She was one of the most successful snipers in history and by extension one of history's greatest soldiers.


Yes snipers are known to be a lttile 'limp wristed' all that playing with there 'scope' most likely. Hardley reinforces your idea females make good front line troops. They just aren't physically strong enough to carry the immense weight of equipment and perform to the physical abilties a man can achieve..

Sorry to break the bad news to you..

I'm sure it will not divert your path of 'feminism' failing to appreciate and aknowledge the beauty and varaiance between the sexes.

just thought i'd point out, israel's army consists of 100 percent of their of-age populationm but only males are allowed to be frontline, they reserve women to be artiller, supplies, aircraft pilotsm, and snipers, jobs where physical strength isnt as impotant.
this allows them to maximize their militarie's efficiency.

also, historically women are generally used in stealth/assassination and sniping roles. due to their thinner bodies and smaller frame alloowing them toget into places a larger, bulkier man would not.


so, there arer places on the battlefield where hostorically women have proved more capable then men, or in certain situatiuons its more viable to put women in those situations.
Laila Kumaki
Nex quod Principatus
#46 - 2011-12-22 02:44:58 UTC
Combat armor comes in one model: human. There is no form-fitting sexy version designed to accent a woman's figure (and I think you'd find that female soldiers don't have the kind of figure that games tend to put forward as being what a woman looks like).

I'd be all for a gender option that doesn't change a damn thing in the game, if only to give the finger to ridiculous gender caricatures in games.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#47 - 2011-12-22 02:52:00 UTC
Laila Kumaki wrote:
Combat armor comes in one model: human. There is no form-fitting sexy version designed to accent a woman's figure (and I think you'd find that female soldiers don't have the kind of figure that games tend to put forward as being what a woman looks like).

I'd be all for a gender option that doesn't change a damn thing in the game, if only to give the finger to ridiculous gender caricatures in games.


This would likely be the case.

In powered battle armor the difference in mere human physical strength would probably be negligible at best.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Velarra
#48 - 2011-12-22 02:56:43 UTC
Science fiction.
Space.
Planets.

Samus Aran ?
Othar en'gilliath
Hosse en'gilliath
#49 - 2011-12-22 04:02:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Othar en'gilliath
Seems all the talk that females cant fight is silly


In the EVE uni ....We can make bodies like rabbits ...they can make a female bodies that powerful :P

At lest make the *shape* and *feel* of the body to suit there said persons mental gender personality, just so the user gets the right "feeling" and says

*This body fits nice* and not wtf this body feels weird!

Just game lore ideas .....apparently in the stories they tried to convince the women to not take part in the protect cause all they use is Default bob bodies but that didn't stop them

and it won not be long till the demand a EQUAL body model for themselves :)

i would do the same thing!


I for one dont like games that FORCE me to play a preferred gender.

some games i want to play a guy some other games a girl , it all depends how i want to role-play my character.

adds to immersion


Velarra wrote:
Science fiction.
Space.
Planets.

Samus Aran ?


^ yes but screw the WII version! i just watched the movie instead .....samus character is sooo lacking .....it upsets me
Captain Alcatraz
Did he say Jump
Dock Workers
#50 - 2011-12-22 05:48:46 UTC
Othar en'gilliath wrote:
Yeah i know blah

But i've been reading every bit of info and all am seeing is 200 pound ITS !

So CCP Will there be female characters for dust?


Females do war?
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#51 - 2011-12-22 05:55:07 UTC
Systematic Oppression wrote:
It's great to see all the homophobes, misogynists and bigoted evospsych assholes come right out of the woodwork in these here forums. Snipers being "limp wristed"? Do you actually read the garbage you spew before you post or are you just a bad troll that thinks misogyny is funny. Yeah, in our natural un-augmented states, women have less overall muscle mass. Given that in most combat cases people aren't massacring each other with melee weapons now or in the eve universe I scarcely see the relevance.


I'm not going to say women cant fight but physical strength has everything to do with modern combat, most women would struggle to carry the huge weight of all the crap a soldier has to carry for hour after hour in all sorts of conditions, many men couldn't cope either.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#52 - 2011-12-22 06:02:38 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Systematic Oppression wrote:
It's great to see all the homophobes, misogynists and bigoted evospsych assholes come right out of the woodwork in these here forums. Snipers being "limp wristed"? Do you actually read the garbage you spew before you post or are you just a bad troll that thinks misogyny is funny. Yeah, in our natural un-augmented states, women have less overall muscle mass. Given that in most combat cases people aren't massacring each other with melee weapons now or in the eve universe I scarcely see the relevance.


I'm not going to say women cant fight but physical strength has everything to do with modern combat, most women would struggle to carry the huge weight of all the crap a soldier has to carry for hour after hour in all sorts of conditions, many men couldn't cope either.


Queue the powered battle armor... again...

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#53 - 2011-12-22 06:11:23 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Systematic Oppression wrote:
It's great to see all the homophobes, misogynists and bigoted evospsych assholes come right out of the woodwork in these here forums. Snipers being "limp wristed"? Do you actually read the garbage you spew before you post or are you just a bad troll that thinks misogyny is funny. Yeah, in our natural un-augmented states, women have less overall muscle mass. Given that in most combat cases people aren't massacring each other with melee weapons now or in the eve universe I scarcely see the relevance.


I'm not going to say women cant fight but physical strength has everything to do with modern combat, most women would struggle to carry the huge weight of all the crap a soldier has to carry for hour after hour in all sorts of conditions, many men couldn't cope either.


Queue the powered battle armor... again...

^^this, and as i tried posting earlier except the damn code error thing.

i said some stuff about the israeli army's troop management a friend told me about.
basically all fropnt line soldiers are men, because women generally have a harder time carrying heavy loads long distances, though ALL their support roles, pilots, artillery, everything is done by the women in the military in order to free as much space on the fornt lines as possible for the male soldiers.


BUT ON A DIFFERENT NOTE, women CAN be in combat, but generally its not in the same operational since as men, throughout history women have served with distinction as marksmen and assassins because of their generally smaller and lighter frame allowing them to maneuver into positions on the battlefield a man could never fit in or reach.
and as far as pilots, a woman generally does better because of their smaller frame allowing them more room to maneuver in the cockpit.

Even considering close range melee combat, men are NOT always at an advantage assuming both parties are properly trained in combat, in direct strength v strngth a man WILL win, but a woman is generally more flexible and able to maneuver around their opponent more, and their smaller limbs allowing more directed and focused attacks into vital centers on a larger opponenets body, so long as the woman is trained in the appropriate form of combat, they can be quite lethal. (this last part i know from personal experience as 7 out of the 10 top students at a martial arts school i hang around are girls, 4 of thema re my friends, and i would be scared SHITLESS to fight them, even if i had a knife.)
Logan LaMort
Screaming Hayabusa
#54 - 2011-12-22 06:21:34 UTC
Apollo Gabriel wrote:



you mean it took 2 yrs to render using the current WIS?


That's Unreal 3 tech, from 2009.

Anyway it doesn't make sense to use generic clone bodies with no gender. First of all the genetic manipulation involved seems rather pointless... and if you screw it up you make abnormal clone bodies.

Second of all, if you're going into combat, being in a body that feels completely unnatural surely would have detrimental effects to your performance.

Generic female/male bodies on tap, yeah that makes sense and seems like a good compromise. Hell, maybe the fiction on cloning is about to get a major update from when it was established eight years a go, and now we can produce low quality, yet fairly accurate clones on the go. Maybe we have custom clones on certain drop ships and it's just a case of logistics, who knows.

At the end of the day though, once you don that combat armour you won't be able to tell which gender is underneath there, not that different gender characters has ever been a huge deal in EVE.

At least in the social environment of Dust we will have different genders, because after all that's when you see your character in third person without combat armour, kinda like WIS.
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#55 - 2011-12-22 08:19:57 UTC
Don't know if powered armour really works as an explanation for me, a suit that allowed you too lift an extra 500 lbs would still be better operated by someone basically stronger.

Don't know why we are argueing the point though this is 'science fiction' we are talking about which mix of the two is prferable to you is an entirely subjective thing.

My suggestion would be clones are grown neutered, and the extra potential cell growth saved in not having to produce reproductive organs is channeled into skeletal and muscular growth. Accounting for a levelling in the playing field.

I've no objections to seeing female avatars I just believe it's a slightly diffrent ballgame IRL.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Logan LaMort
Screaming Hayabusa
#56 - 2011-12-22 09:05:23 UTC
Professor Alphane wrote:
Don't know if powered armour really works as an explanation for me, a suit that allowed you too lift an extra 500 lbs would still be better operated by someone basically stronger.


I disagree, the whole point of a powered exoskeleton is to give you that strength, it basically makes everything you pick up light as a feather. What you really need is endurance, to be able to keep on moving over and over again.

It's definitely not science fiction.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2011-12-22 09:13:46 UTC
Logan LaMort wrote:
Professor Alphane wrote:
Don't know if powered armour really works as an explanation for me, a suit that allowed you too lift an extra 500 lbs would still be better operated by someone basically stronger.


I disagree, the whole point of a powered exoskeleton is to give you that strength, it basically makes everything you pick up light as a feather. What you really need is endurance, to be able to keep on moving over and over again.

It's definitely not science fiction.


Exoskeletons don't even need any strength or endurance at all, there are versions that enable paraplegics to walk upright.

Link


Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#58 - 2011-12-22 10:38:15 UTC
Logan LaMort wrote:
Professor Alphane wrote:
Don't know if powered armour really works as an explanation for me, a suit that allowed you too lift an extra 500 lbs would still be better operated by someone basically stronger.


I disagree, the whole point of a powered exoskeleton is to give you that strength, it basically makes everything you pick up light as a feather. What you really need is endurance, to be able to keep on moving over and over again.

It's definitely not science fiction.


I'd disagree, to my mind the exoskelton is what allows allows you to carry the 1000lbs armour plating , and the 250lb rifle, doesn't nesacarily mean it's going to feel 'light as a feather' cos if it did they'd likely bolt more bits on to maximise it's potential.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Systematic Oppression
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2011-12-22 19:34:08 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Systematic Oppression wrote:
For those of you who think women can't be soldiers and particularly ground combat soldiers, I'd like to direct you to this historical example. Miss Pavlichenko She was one of the most successful snipers in history and by extension one of history's greatest soldiers.



She took down 36 other snipers. Not bad.


Too bad she did it for a crap cause, but then the snipers she took out were also doing what they were doing for a crap cause too.


Real life is kind of like 0.0.



If you consider the early Soviet Union a "crap cause" I don't really know what to tell you. People (read: Idiots) like to say it's because of the US that we're not all speaking German right now. The truth of the matter is that if anyone saved us from the Germans it was the Soviets. ( Although, to be honest, it was really a team effort and deciding on MVP really waters down the significance of all party's contributions.)
Fidelium Mortis
Minor Major Miners LLC
#60 - 2011-12-22 20:41:14 UTC
Captain Alcatraz wrote:
Othar en'gilliath wrote:
Yeah i know blah

But i've been reading every bit of info and all am seeing is 200 pound ITS !

So CCP Will there be female characters for dust?


Females do war?


It's called PMS. Open acts of hostility every 4-5 weeks.

With all the cloning being done in the EVE universe, it's a wonder that everyone isn't a genederless meat popsicle.

ICRS - Intergalactic Certified Rocket Surgeon