These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

SWTOR killing EvE?

First post
Author
xxxak
Perkone
Caldari State
#101 - 2011-12-22 00:07:44 UTC
I have played SWTOR, and it is .... not a threat to EVE.

It is, as others have pointed out, a WoW clone that focuses almost 100% on killing Banthas and nameless and irrelevant PVE characters as your cross ugly swamps.

Worst of all, it really is an ugly game. At max settings on my 30" monitor it just looks like crap. The textures look like something from 2004..

I might even level a character just for sh*ts and gigs, but it's not threat to EVE.

[u]The nerfs to supercaps will cause more super pilots to join the largest alliances who can properly "support" their deployment, further concentrating firepower/wealth in EVE. The end result will be fewer "fun" fights, and will hurt EVE in the long run.[/u]

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#102 - 2011-12-22 00:12:26 UTC
NickyYo wrote:
I don't know about you lot but ALOT of our corp has gone inactive to play SWTOR.
Am i delusional or is this affecting eve population seriously?

Our entire super cap fleet is busy playing Battlefield 3 for the last 3 months, SWTOR can't even compare.
Surge Roth
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#103 - 2011-12-22 01:38:44 UTC
Marduk Nibiru wrote:
Skippermonkey wrote:
Crumplecorn wrote:
More on this story, tomorrow morning.

You going to go sleep as well?

oh man, this game is dying

Being asleep hasn't ever kept anyone from playing EvE, has it?

My que was empty this morning.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#104 - 2011-12-22 01:40:51 UTC
Confirming that TOR
More likely to kill wow than eve

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Apollo Gabriel
Mercatoris
#105 - 2011-12-22 01:43:20 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
We respect your choice to play whatever game makes you happy. We just want you to know that you are always welcome to stay and run a few missions while you wait in the log in queue. <3

Roll

NO offense Guard, but why would you do missions? They're about as dull as it gets.

Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Ottersmacker
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#106 - 2011-12-22 02:00:52 UTC
Judging from some gameplay footage, this "SW TOR" you speak of is just a manifestation of how Azeroth knows no bounds.

i just locked an open door.. strange, yet symbolically compelling.

Doc Severide
Doomheim
#107 - 2011-12-22 02:12:56 UTC
Bah, not going to even bother. While I did like some early Star Wars games like Tie Fighter and X-Wing, SW games are old and tired...even if they are new,,,
Thrawn Nostur
Impulsive Anarchy
#108 - 2011-12-22 02:30:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Thrawn Nostur
Star
Wow
Thoroughly
Over
Rated
ILikeMarkets
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#109 - 2011-12-22 03:36:10 UTC
I am currently playing SWTOR and not logged into EVE, but I have not replaced EVE with SWTOR. That would be like trying to replace MW3 with Aion. They are too different for one to be a threat to another. SWTOR has no space combat worth mentioning (just some rail system that no one in the game likes). The enjoyable part of that game is the actual MMO aspects combined with Mass Effect style story system. But, at the end of the day, I don't get to fly space ships and therefor it stands no chance of taking me from EVE.

SWTOR is now my supplemental MMO to EVE. I play some EVE, I play some SWTOR, and I am happy.

Proof that capital ships are rare in EVE: http://imgur.com/gallery/jJJE1

Arctur Vallfar
Knights Adamant
#110 - 2011-12-22 03:40:16 UTC
EVE Online will likely outlive SW:TOR. Though I don't mean to judge a game I haven't played, this is just an observation of what else is out there. The two games can and will coexist.
Piran Eligius
PwnCo
#111 - 2011-12-22 03:53:01 UTC
I am currently playing TOR. And since it's a story and plot driven game, once I complete the story, I'll shut her back down and resume playing EVE.

PS - I'm keeping up my EVE sub while playing TOR in support of the refocus on space pew pew. /waves at Devs. Yer welcome.
Taiwanistan
#112 - 2011-12-22 03:59:37 UTC
oh god i need to change my panties and go wis and social o7o7m8m8 in swtor
fffffuuuuu ccp

TA on wis: "when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#113 - 2011-12-22 04:01:54 UTC
The only threat to EVE is EVE. SW-TOR might be one of those games that speed up a decline here but the truth be told, alot of people who picked up EVE in the last few years don't belong here. CCP welcome them but the community at large do not and see them as cattle.

If CCP have built a game around 60K login and 450K active then EVE will hurt for a while but I believe EVE out sized its Niche.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#114 - 2011-12-22 04:52:44 UTC
Jowen Datloran wrote:
Ohnoes, a game with enough appeal to keep people interested for a month or two is pulling people away from EVE... for a month or two.

problem with me is there is allways some new game every two months... so i still end up paying for eve but just train... its sad i train out of some compulsion... i need a doctor... :P

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

V'ern
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2011-12-22 05:22:24 UTC
Star Trek Online could have killed Eve. If they stole the space ship combat from Eve and used WOW like gound missions that we could opt out of ever seeing.
Flamespar
WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#116 - 2011-12-22 05:44:05 UTC
EVE broke me. I can no longer stand themepark MMOs.

I need to range freely and do whatever the **** I want.

I <3 EVE
Captain Alcatraz
Did he say Jump
Dock Workers
#117 - 2011-12-22 05:48:12 UTC
Azitek wrote:
You don't quit eve. They can try, but they'll be back.

In other words, one cannot simply walk out of EVE.
Conrad Lionhart
#118 - 2011-12-22 07:00:48 UTC
As stated by others, SW:TOR and Eve are 2 different games so SW:TOR cannot kill Eve Online. It doesn't offer what Eve Online offers to players.

What your corp is experiencing is merely people playing a new game, whether it be Skyrim, Batman, MW3, SW:TOR, etc.
Gantz Tleilax
Divided Unity
The Night Crew Alliance
#119 - 2011-12-22 07:08:26 UTC
Lately with the holidays and work I haven't had more than an hour at a time to play much of anything. I've been playing TOR because it's easy to jump in for 30 minutes do something and leave. Eve really doesn't support casual gameplay much unless you consider PI and updating your market orders fun. ( you might think running missions are quick, but that pve content is soooo old, and I've done it all.)

I love Eve, but it's something I really get the most out of when I can play it for more than a few hours in a sitting.

DeBingJos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2011-12-22 07:24:27 UTC
I think it has more to do with the holidays than with another game...Roll

Ungi maðurinn þekkir reglurnar, en gamli maðurinn þekkir undantekningarnar. The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.