These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unidentified Structures Uncloaked, Sightings of "Drifters"

Author
Eran Mintor
Metropolis Commercial Consortium
#101 - 2015-02-19 09:52:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Eran Mintor
I strongly suggest people not act foolhardy and use their immortality as a crutch to fight these Drifters.

From all indications the Drifters are also immortal and are not going to be easily beaten by a similar force. Even if you kill one, they seem to come back with the same force.

Their combat ability and technology seems to far exceed ours. We're fortunate they haven't actually attacked and instead are remaining mostly dormant--though this could just be because their main goal is securing the wormhole connections. While I believe that wide aggression may invoke a war we are not prepared to fight, we need to quickly ascertain their goals and how to possibly combat not only the Drifters, but the wormholes themselves. These wormholes are their logistical supply line and if we can cut that then we may actually have a chance should things get worse.

From a military standpoint it seems the Seekers were the Scouts, the Drifters were the Vanguard, and who knows what's next? We need to secure these wormholes, certainly.

From a humanitarian standpoint I caution people to label these Drifters as enemies. We could live with them. The only problem at this moment is we have no communication with them yet. The only communication we've really given en masse is one of hostility, thanks to our previous and now current actions.

My suggestion is this:

Do what they (Circadian Seekers) have done and send out scouts, picking out every small detail you can to establish their strengths and weaknesses, and most importantly their behaviors and possible motives. People with intent to push them away are acting too early. Try to open up to them and learn as much as you can. Send them mails, contract them gifts, tell them jokes; do whatever you can that is the opposite of being openly aggressive. Perhaps they will react with a touch of humor and open up and see us as a similar species, perhaps they won't respond at all.. but we can learn much from the actions and questions we ask now. If we want to continue trying to represent baseliners then we need to get back in touch with our humanity.

As capsuleers, the supposed protectors of the entire human race, many of us are verging on the point of trans-humanism. We still act as ambassadors to our race, especially to groups such as the Sleepers who mainly only see and deal with capsuleers, but we seem to have such differing opinions about life and sacrifice than those of the real world.

You can go out and try to murder them or you can go and try to establish diplomatic ties. It ultimately, and sadly, is the capsuleers choice how these Drifters see our society. With that said, I don't have much faith in the way capsuleers react to this "threat" but I do hope we get the chance to show people we're not just scared murderers and fanatics.

-Eran

Edit: It should be noted that the Drifter pilots aren't found on the regular SCC database. Trade and communication are not possible at this time, thanks to CONCORD.

Not sure how to feel about that...
Naava Edios
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#102 - 2015-02-19 09:55:51 UTC
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but, If things start to escalate with the Drifters and with these unidentified wormholes that are appearing. May I suggest a fail safe is set in place in the event of an invasion from these wormholes such as a large bomb to be detonated on the wormhole, such as what was used against one of Sansha Kuvakei's Wormholes during Project Hydrogen Bomb I think it was called.

Such measure could be used after other more contemporary options have been considered

Edios.

Eran Mintor
#103 - 2015-02-19 10:05:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Eran Mintor
Naava Edios wrote:
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but, If things start to escalate with the Drifters and with these unidentified wormholes that are appearing. May I suggest a fail safe is set in place in the event of an invasion from these wormholes such as a large bomb to be detonated on the wormhole, such as what was used against one of Sansha Kuvakei's Wormholes during Project Hydrogen Bomb I think it was called.

Such measure could be used after other more contemporary options have been considered

Edios.

It certainly isn't a bad idea, however that requires dozens of hydrogen-bombs/freighters for each wormhole and we have to assume that these entities were already able to insert structures larger than several titans before these wormholes even appeared to us. We tried to battle the previous Sansha wormholes with such methods as ECM and hydrogen bombs and it worked to some degree, but ultimately the Incursions still continue largely unhindered. The science of wormholes still has a lot left to be learned.

What causes wormholes and what can we do to stop them from happening? Basically what we need is a mobile cynosural field inhibitor, but for wormholes, and we need to find out how to make that happen as soon as possible.

-Eran
Naava Edios
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#104 - 2015-02-19 10:38:07 UTC
Eran Mintor wrote:
Naava Edios wrote:

Edios.

It certainly isn't a bad idea, however that requires dozens of hydrogen-bombs/freighters for each wormhole and we have to assume that these entities were already able to insert structures larger than several titans before these wormholes even appeared to us. We tried to battle the previous Sansha wormholes with such methods as ECM and hydrogen bombs and it worked to some degree, but ultimately the Incursions still continue largely unhindered. The science of wormholes still has a lot left to be learned.

What causes wormholes and what can we do to stop them from happening? Basically what we need is a mobile cynosural field inhibitor, but for wormholes, and we need to find out how to make that happen as soon as possible.

-Eran

As I stated, It was just a suggestion. Would it work or do anything I do not know. But if the Science is unclear to you then it is well over my head. I am only here to offer the suggestion for an explosive solution. From what little I can find on Project Hydrogen it didn't stop it but it did help.

Could these wormholes all go to the same place, and if so. Just a single bomb could help if the situation turns dire. I’m not here to talk the scientific nature of these events. Just military response if or when we need it.

Edios.
Eran Mintor
#105 - 2015-02-19 10:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Eran Mintor
I apologize if my response turned you away from offering further suggestions. It wasn't a bad idea, and one that has worked to some degree before. Perhaps the physics behind the bombs have something to be further investigated.

I will say that I am personally not a big fan of bombing wormholes. It may work for the short-term but I don't see it solving the actual problem. Even if we assume all the wormholes lead to a centralized location, I am not going to advocate genocide on Sleeper, Drifter, or Sansha people. I just can't.

-Eran
Naava Edios
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#106 - 2015-02-19 10:58:59 UTC
Eran Mintor wrote:
I am not going to advocate genocide on Sleeper, Drifter, or Sansha people. I just can't.

-Eran

It's up to you to find a Scientific solution, It's up to me to find a Military solution that prevents the genocide you speak of happening to our people.

Edios.
Eran Mintor
#107 - 2015-02-19 11:03:15 UTC
Fair enough. In that case, I wish you the best.

All I ask is that capsuleers don't rush into a war against these entities.

-Eran
Naava Edios
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#108 - 2015-02-19 11:04:17 UTC
Just preparing for when they do.

Edios.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2015-02-19 11:42:56 UTC
Just a thought but how do we know that the cloaking on those structures actually failed? There are rumours that the seekers and/or Drifters aren't just scanning but also transmitting information to us. It could be that they have tweaked our implants somehow to actually register the structures instead.
Malissa Hehir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2015-02-19 17:59:18 UTC
Has anyone noticed a significant rise in rents since these objects appeared? As if those in power where trying to force us away from the areas?
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#111 - 2015-02-19 18:57:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Che Biko
I get the idea that these structures are not totally similar in size and shape as now that they are uncloaked. This makes me think that the structures may have been recently build contructions (while cloaked) that have only been recently completed.
Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#112 - 2015-02-19 20:21:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaret Victorian
We managed to acquire two samples of what appears to be C-Seekers comms (clarification needed). It is rather faint, you will need to adjust your volume to max.

Sample One. C - Seeker Clicking Sample 1
Sample Two. C - Seeker Clicking Sample 2

If anyone could confirm that Sleeper Drones in Anoikis have a different soundscape - that would be great.

Drifter Battleships appear to be silent.

Addendum №1
Camera drone shots - evidence of C-Seekers and Drifters Working together. They appear to be warping between the unID Structure and stargates in the given system (Eystur in my case).
Threll Lornax
The Sleepless Vanguard
#113 - 2015-02-20 13:52:12 UTC
I recently had a thought I need to voice. Not entirely sure I've thought it through, but here it goes.
When we were first contacted by "Hilen Tukoss", he requested certain Jovian body parts to be delivered to the AJ Site One in the Eram system. Shortly thereafter these Drifters appear. Is it in any way possible that these body parts are used as a gentetic template to clone the drifters? I'm aware that I'm only connecting to points of data in a much larger web, but it at least falls within the boundaries of what is possible, at least to my limited scientific knowledge.
How far off the target am I?
Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#114 - 2015-02-20 14:03:55 UTC
Threll Lornax wrote:
I recently had a thought I need to voice. Not entirely sure I've thought it through, but here it goes.
When we were first contacted by "Hilen Tukoss", he requested certain Jovian body parts to be delivered to the AJ Site One in the Eram system. Shortly thereafter these Drifters appear. Is it in any way possible that these body parts are used as a gentetic template to clone the drifters? I'm aware that I'm only connecting to points of data in a much larger web, but it at least falls within the boundaries of what is possible, at least to my limited scientific knowledge.

You know - not so far. A couple of days ago several pilots encountered a ravaged Sleeper Bioinformatics Complex in one of the newly discovered shattered worlds. This discovery was covered in this report.

Mind you, bioinformatics, as an interdisciplinary field of science, combine computer science, statistics, mathematics, and engineering to study and process biological data and genetic data. It may be a strange coincidence, but I don't think so.
Threll Lornax
The Sleepless Vanguard
#115 - 2015-02-20 14:29:39 UTC
Jaret Victorian wrote:
Threll Lornax wrote:

You know - not so far. A couple of days ago several pilots encountered a ravaged Sleeper Bioinformatics Complex in one of the newly discovered shattered worlds. This discovery was covered in this report.

Mind you, bioinformatics, as an interdisciplinary field of science, combine computer science, statistics, mathematics, and engineering to study and process biological data and genetic data. It may be a strange coincidence, but I don't think so.

Oh yes, I've seen that particular type of complex. The system in Anoikis I currently live in connected to one of the recently discovered shattered systems a few weeks ago. The epicenter looked fairly straightforward to me, nothing unusual except for a "Talocan Embarkement Destroyer" which gave no clues at all to it's purpose except for the usual speculation Aura puts together whenever you encounter unknown objects.
Having read the report you refer to, I have nothing to add except that, judging from the planet in the background, it may very well be the exact same system.

Even if we assume that this cloning is what happened, the question of who did it, and why, remains shrouded in mystery. As far as we can tell, the Sleeper drones posess no will to expand or engage neither capsuleers nor empire forces un less directly threatened. We could blame the Jove, but why? Any hypothesis regarding the Jove can only remain a hypothesis until we have an opportunity to actually interact with them. The drifters are the closest thing we have and they may not even be representative of the Jove who may or may not be living in the New Eden cluster. I find it difficult to relate to recent events with the sparse information at hand, which only makes me more determined to try and unravel this enigma.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2015-02-20 14:49:31 UTC
We've seen ravaged sites and caches averywhere, clearly not the sleepers destroying their own sites. We also know that for every sleeper ther eshould be a physical body. Perhaps they are under attack and their bodies destroyed...this would raise the need to clone new bodies to protect those minds still in the virtuality.
Threll Lornax
The Sleepless Vanguard
#117 - 2015-02-20 15:00:07 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
We've seen ravaged sites and caches averywhere, clearly not the sleepers destroying their own sites. We also know that for every sleeper ther eshould be a physical body. Perhaps they are under attack and their bodies destroyed...this would raise the need to clone new bodies to protect those minds still in the virtuality.

Do we really know that there has to be a body though? Nobody has been able to actually enter a sleeper enclave and have a look, as far as I know.
Naturally they don't destroy their own sites. The only possible culprits at this stage are either the Drifters or Sansha forces since they are the only ones who are known to have a direct link to Anoikis. The connection betweenj the Drifters and Circadians play into this too though. I've yet to come across a report of Circadians and Drifters engaging each other, but there are plenty of reports where they seem to assist each other in their scanning endeavours. Wether these two are a faction of the Sleepers in Anoikis or an example of Jove pirating Sleeper tech for their own purposes remains to be seen. Drifters do appear have the capability to cause the destruction seen in Anoikis. Which side of the conflictg they have been on is also unknown.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#118 - 2015-02-20 15:13:12 UTC
I'm also wondering how much of an actual body these Drifters really need. For all we know that could just be a skin covering on the head to honour the previous owners of those faces.
Threll Lornax
The Sleepless Vanguard
#119 - 2015-02-20 15:26:21 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
I'm also wondering how much of an actual body these Drifters really need. For all we know that could just be a skin covering on the head to honour the previous owners of those faces.

To Answer that you'd have to recover a body, dead or alive. Not very likely. I advise you to, if you make assumptions, make sure you consider every possibility in a greater context. Who would the "previous owner" even be? If the Sleepers are indeed themselves sleeping inside some structure, I've yet to see proof.
Luther Renvolint
Order of Interests
#120 - 2015-02-25 13:46:04 UTC
I have returned from an extensive research mission covering the whole of Minmatar sovereign space. It is my firm opinion that the 'structures' are not structures at all. They are huge warships which have been deployed strategically before being slowly powered up. It is my firm belief that the circadian seekers are some kind of resource collection drone controlled by the structure, seeking out appropriate fuel sources, gathering and returning them to the ships.

Furthermore, judging from the capabilities of the drifter battleships, these huge warships are likely capable of massive destruction the likes of which noone has seen from any technology. The additional deployment of numerous artificially sustained wormholes by the sleepers seems to indicate that there is an intricate and far reaching wormhole system allowing for quick deployment of forces.

From my research, I would suggest that these stuctures are almost undoubtedly of Jovian origin. It logically connects that the Jove have hijacked or developed a system for travelling through space by artificial wormhole after their gate system was destroyed. Their motivation is hard to determine. They may be here to reconnect diplomatic ties with the other empires, or to conquer them indiscriminately.

One thing is abundantly clear: as capsuleers, we must make a united decision as to what we should do. Prepare for war, make a concerted pre-emptive strike against all structures, or hold on to the hope that they are here peacefully.

The time has come to cast aside our differences such that we, humanity's wayward brothers and sisters, may once again return home. - Vuld Haupt, The Paths of Our Ancestors