These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Tournaments in EVE

Author
Andy Maque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-02-17 23:49:18 UTC
Everybody knows that eve torunaments is the only place for fair PvP where winning goes to more skillfull teams.

I'd like CCP to make some tournament tools for players. So players can make their own tournaments.
Let it be a system in empire with station. Let torunament admin make deadspace location that cannot be scanned. Only admin can give roles for participants to warp there. something like that i think. Also there must be some observer tools for broadcasting that tournaments.
Why CCP doesn't do that. Players will make new content by themselvs. Why CCP holding everything in their hands..
Such ability will make eve much more popular. capsuleers are ready to donate isks for such tournaments. Also observer tool must include ability to see modules of each pilot. How much it burned, on wich ship modules activated and so on. People will make a show on that. Why dont you (CCP) working on that?

Also there must be a tournament grid tool on eve website for that. Please think about that.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#2 - 2015-02-18 00:06:51 UTC
first this is eve every fight is a fair fight you just need to remember the fight starts well before everyone is even in the same system

second you can already set up and broadcast tournaments in eve many people do it withing corp/alliance
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2015-02-18 00:18:08 UTC
Andy Maque wrote:
Everybody knows that eve torunaments is the only place for fair PvP where winning goes to more skillfull teams.

Define "fair."
Define "skillful."

The Alliance Tournament is anything but "fair" in the traditional sense. And winning it has nothing to do with being "more skillful."

Matches are won or lost based on who brought a setup that can counter another setup (which can be learned through spying, bribery, or subterfuge).
Setups that can't counter each other tend to be "turtle" matches where the only way to win is through sheer luck and/or by outlasting the "other side."

Basically... it is a metagame where your ability to outthink and prepare for an opponent (before you even undock) decides whether you win or lose.
scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#4 - 2015-02-18 00:21:02 UTC
I get what you're saying with the OP, not the worst of ideas to be posted in F&I by a long shot.
With that being said, tournaments happen all the time, just like Lugh said, although they are not limited to corp/alliance all the time. If you're concerned with outside parties interfering, why not start a tournament services corp and sell your tournament setup services? Provide enough muscle to discourage casual interference (CODE might take offense for you not buying a tourny license or some BS and decide to send their mighty wave of brave suicide ships your way) and things like that. This is Eve, you're supposed to make stuff happen on your own instead of asking CCP to do it for you. Within reason of course. Take a look at how the trade hubs came to be, way back when if you need some motivation. Or Red Frog.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#5 - 2015-02-18 01:39:01 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

Define "fair."
Define "skillful."

The Alliance Tournament is anything but "fair" in the traditional sense. And winning it has nothing to do with being "more skillful."

Matches are won or lost based on who brought a setup that can counter another setup (which can be learned through spying, bribery, or subterfuge).
Setups that can't counter each other tend to be "turtle" matches where the only way to win is through sheer luck and/or by outlasting the "other side."

Basically... it is a metagame where your ability to outthink and prepare for an opponent (before you even undock) decides whether you win or lose.

This guy gets it.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#6 - 2015-02-18 03:30:13 UTC
Andy Maque wrote:

I'd like CCP to make some tournament tools for players. So players can make their own tournaments.
Let it be a system in empire with station. Let torunament admin make deadspace location that cannot be scanned. Only admin can give roles for participants to warp there. something like that i think. Also there must be some observer tools for broadcasting that tournaments.
Why CCP doesn't do that. Players will make new content by themselvs. Why CCP holding everything in their hands..
Such ability will make eve much more popular. capsuleers are ready to donate isks for such tournaments. Also observer tool must include ability to see modules of each pilot. How much it burned, on wich ship modules activated and so on. People will make a show on that. Why dont you (CCP) working on that?

Also there must be a tournament grid tool on eve website for that. Please think about that.

In case you missed it in this years tourney....the stuff ccp has for it is not exactly max uptime production grade software. the dev, now at riot games by they way as I recall, who wrote it had to be called in on the weekend at least once. I recall gargant's quite funny statement this was the longest time it has taken to remove TEST from space as a matter of fact (as test was stuck in the arena after match and they were having issues getting them out).

Long story short...they aren't having devs come in to support untold amount of tourneys on 3 major time zones (oceanic, euro, US). Oceanic a wide one....as it basically is used to sum up everything from asia across the pacific till you hit cali. I happen to be asia tz....we only get ccp extended service in the form of DT since oceanic is the least disruptive time frame to reboot servers.

Rest of this.....I have been in corps that ran their own in corp tourneys. Is it as smooth and polished as CCP's? No. Workable? Very.

And well fair already covered. The meta the fun part. Like the meta of the spyzor. or the out of bounder. Were they just having a bad moment? Or did they bet against their team and seeing them might win (losing the bet they played) have them tank the play?
Juan Mileghere
The Corporate Raiders
#7 - 2015-02-18 04:27:32 UTC
This is silly if you want to do that do it like the rest of us and do it with the tools you have available. Also welcome to EVE, there's warfare, not warfair, skill is in any combat situation but some factors will reduce the need for it. Good pilots's are just as much a force multiplier like Links, Logis and EWAR.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#8 - 2015-02-18 05:18:25 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Andy Maque wrote:

Define "fair."
Define "skillful."

You forgot just straight up being an awoxer and either suicide your own ship or Turing your guns on your own team
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#9 - 2015-02-18 09:13:25 UTC
-everyone starts with a pod, a small amount of pre trained skills and the same small handful of isk. That's where the 'fair fight', and in fact all forms of competition in this game, started.

-tournaments can and do happen.

-But here is some reading.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

suicide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2015-02-18 13:55:06 UTC
A healthy and active "Tournament Scene" requires CCP to give us some tools. And I would support any move in that direction where players or GMs or even SISI caretakers get given tools that allow tournaments like the SCL to take place. They don't need to be perfect or extensive. They can even be command line admin tools.

At this point my expectations are really non-existent and would be happy for any move in that direction.

Hey you need it for next AT anyway. The scramblers weren't even showing in the last AT.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#11 - 2015-02-18 14:05:46 UTC
you already have all the tools you need
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-02-19 12:32:38 UTC
Andy Maque wrote:

How about no. The sandbox part of the game is not that ccp makes everything for you. It´s about you make the things yourself.

Andy Maque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-02-21 14:45:39 UTC
i'm not asking that for myself, but for EVE. CCP should be first who interested in it.
I'm streamming PVP roams on twitch for last 3 years. Many people started play EVE through my videos and it's one of most effective ways to bring new people into the game. But the problem is that searching for PVP can take quit long time. That part of gameplay scares away half people.

Whene EVE was created there was no such a fenomenon as streaming. But things are changing in game industry with time and I'm not sure it's correct to say like it's EVE and everything should stay as it is coz we got used to it.
If there were some tools for making a competition and people could make a video content by themselves, then it could bring eve on a new level. People like to watch others compete in games, and after that want to try it. It's a reality of game industry nowadays.

I'm not telling what exact tools it should be. It's not my job to think about it. I'm only telling my ideas.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#14 - 2015-02-21 15:59:42 UTC
Is the Syndicate Combat League no longer a thing? They used to run tournaments on SiSi, which is the only place where 'fair fights" belong.
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#15 - 2015-02-21 16:58:32 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

This sounds like ALL of eve pvp, actually.

And people wonder why I think roaming gangs are a joke.
Andy Maque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2015-02-22 00:53:01 UTC
Tabyll Altol wrote:

How about no. The sandbox part of the game is not that ccp makes everything for you. It´s about you make the things yourself.

suppose you are the on of those who never heared about nano era... hehe
1year old character telling me about sendbox. nice!
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2015-02-22 13:33:26 UTC
Andy Maque wrote:
Tabyll Altol wrote:

that was a case of one tool being so beyond more powerful than any others that in order to actually HAVE a viable sandbox, its viability had to be rbought in line with other options.

you children and your "waa waa its not a sandbox if they nerf what I like!" attitude is ridiculous, its CCP's job to make sure the tools work CORRECTLY, the sandbox comes from what you DO with those tools once they are
Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#18 - 2015-02-22 16:06:45 UTC
Andy Maque wrote:

They had something like this and called it dojos but it wasnt implemented because too many people cried that it wouldn't allow them to do something they wouldnt even know to do anyway. So now we are stuck with less content because its important to give people the potential to do something they will never actually have any opportunity to do anyways.
suicide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#19 - 2015-02-22 19:05:51 UTC  |  Edited by: suicide
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Is the Syndicate Combat League no longer a thing? They used to run tournaments on SiSi, which is the only place where 'fair fights" belong.

As someone who has been waiting eagerly for the next SCL for probably more than a year I think that it is not going to happen.

If you are running a good natured in-house honorfest tournament yes you have the tools.

If you want to run an actual COMPETITIVE high-caliber tournament you MUST have an actual environment which enforces the rules automatically and fairly.

It would seem that a lot of people are not involved in competitive tournament stuff so I will state the obvious problems. There are others also.

Start and Stop - This is something that can quickly lead to disagreements. Fights can easily come down to a few seconds and due to client lag and human error it can lead to ugly arguments.

Pre-locking - This cannot be enforced. A logistics locking up their team before a match or beginning locks before the timer starts can give you so much advantage it is not even funny. This needs to be enforced by the arena because there is really no way for player judges to enforce it. This leads to people saying rightly or wrongly that they were locked and bickering and stuff.

Implants - Snake sets and pirate implants can quickly get setups to "god mode". No way to enforce the use of those without some sort of arena tools.

Fitting - Passing the entire fleet through a filter to ensure there is no illegal modules is almost a necessity to keep things going. Yes you can individually scan each ship, add up points manually, and stuff like that but there is a lot of human error and it is slow as heck.

Borders - Yes you can put someone at 0 and watch for border violations. But they are not exactly at 0 and their 125km doesn't necessarily match the pilots view on the situation.

Tie-Breaks - Reverse ti-di and stuff need tools.

Streaming - Having the effects shown on stream is very helpful. Yes the health bars and stuff can be sorta faked.

But the biggest reason is that it REALLY SUCKS to not have these things.

There are a lot of people who love tournaments but there is no "scene" to support that. They get all excited and then it withers and dies due to no tournaments, and no ways to effectively run a match.
Andy Maque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2015-02-23 16:13:25 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Andy Maque wrote:
Tabyll Altol wrote:

that was a case of one tool being so beyond more powerful than any others that in order to actually HAVE a viable sandbox, its viability had to be rbought in line with other options.

you children and your "waa waa its not a sandbox if they nerf what I like!" attitude is ridiculous, its CCP's job to make sure the tools work CORRECTLY, the sandbox comes from what you DO with those tools once they are

You think that i'm complaining about that nerf coz i liked to fly vagabond with polycarbons, but actually i never used to fly vagabonds, nano ishtars or any nano ship that time. i was flying armored batlleships and had no problems with killing that nano. and i don't care about ballance in any period. i will always find a way to hit target i want. So u didn't understan what i wanted to say. That nano nerf was caused by endless weeps of people that didn't want to think how they can use tools they had. They just wanted tools to be changed. And CCP did it.
The result is that we see no solo PVPers today. Ammount of solo that EVE has now in null-sec is ridiculously low in comparison with nanoera and only this fact make me sad.

I don't want to go deep into this question. All i wanted to say is that CCP made changes that changed whole game, just to satisfy the complaint.

I'm not complaining. I'm asking to create new tools. That in my opinion will make this game more varied and will help in ship balancing.
12Next page