These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

video file [no subject]

Author
Ollie Rundle
#81 - 2015-02-17 09:17:16 UTC
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Ollie Rundle wrote:
Presuming you are Aria Jenneth, which is something of a leap of faith still at this point, how much of what you were do you want to know?

Is there much that she didn't splash all over the IGS, herself?

Quite a bit is the most likely answer. Where she's been and what she's been doing since her sudden disappearance about two years ago and your sudden reappearance now being a more specific but hardly all inclusive one.
Aria Jenneth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#82 - 2015-02-17 13:46:54 UTC
Ollie Rundle wrote:
Quite a bit is the most likely answer. Where she's been and what she's been doing since her sudden disappearance about two years ago and your sudden reappearance now being a more specific but hardly all inclusive one.

My ... reappearance? You're saying she's behind this, um, me?

. . . .

Can you maybe please not say anything right here that'll get me shot? Infomorphs aren't allowed to leave active copies of ourselves around. It's not just bad manners.

I don't want to lose my accreditation as a human being.

... even if it is kinda provisional.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#83 - 2015-02-17 14:23:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
So. Ah....

Ollie's worrying hints aside, I've been working through the skill profile.

Science: Aria was a dabbler, here. The record's jagged, highs and lows all mixed in together like teeth on an old key.

Amarr Encryption, two.

Caldari Encryption, one.

Electromagnetic Physics, one.

Gallente Encryption, one.

Graviton Physics, four.

High Energy Physics, one.

And on and on. They all match.

The records ... what I can get ... show my archive was last updated 114.6.29. It's about the time Aria vanished.

There are reasons to doubt this method. The archive's corrupt; how did my skillset survive?

For those of you who worry I'm an impostor, I don't know if this is even evidence. It's me doing the testing, after all.

For me, though, it's time I faced facts.

I'm her. I'm Aria.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#84 - 2015-02-17 14:54:18 UTC
A lot of people are making a number of assumptions here that they shouldn't. I understand that when you see someone in peril, the tempting and morally correct thing to do is to jump right in and try to help. But please keep in mind that, without a firm understanding of the person or the situation in question, you can often do harm even with the best of intentions. This isn't to say "mind your own business", but... Well, be conscious of the implications of your words in the greater sense, and when in doubt, err on the side of caution, when dealing with a stranger.

To the OP: Please get in contact with me. I have some information you will probably find helpful. I would speak to you right now at length, but the cluster is inconsiderately falling apart by the minute.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#85 - 2015-02-17 15:23:56 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
... the cluster is inconsiderately falling apart by the minute.

Oh, gods. I just saw the news.

Um. Please don't worry about me?

I should be okay as long as nobody in command decides I'm redundant.

... and there's not much anyone will be able to do to save me if that happens. So. Ah.

Cluster-wide military threat. Bigger problem.
Lyn Farel
Khimi Harar
#86 - 2015-02-17 20:49:32 UTC
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:
That Infomorph Psychology thing, by the way? The real name of that skill is Voluntary Suicide.

That ... doesn't seem right.

One body sleeps. The ... infomorph ... passes.

The channeling's gentle. No data loss. No neuron-scorching flash scan.

The next body wakes. It ... goes about its day. It has breakfast, attends a meeting, laughs with friends over drinks.

The next day, it ... sleeps in turn. The first awakes, with all those memories.

Where is death?

It is not right.

There is no death for the identity, only for the body. Continuity of data stream and thought is conserved, like with any hardscan process.

Conventional thinking based on human perception of space time continuum can not cope with the scope of multiple identities and discontinuity of thought.

Telling that someone ceases to be that someone after a hardscan, or even a delayed cloning, is nonsensical. Technically you stop being you at the next second no matter what you do.
Ollie Rundle
#87 - 2015-02-17 22:10:08 UTC
Have to agree with you there, Lyn. Generally speaking, a successful suicide doesn't come back.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#88 - 2015-02-17 23:27:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Ollie Rundle wrote:
Have to agree with you there, Lyn. Generally speaking, a successful suicide doesn't come back.

You don't. A copy with your memories does (or without, in this new Jenneth's case).

But as usual, capsuleers will cling to the delusion that they're immortal, and thus more special than the rest of humanity. So, forget I said anything, as it just falls on deaf ears and is drowned out by dreamers.

And Ms. Jenneth, most jump clones performed today do involve neuron-scorching flash scans. So there is certainly 'a death'.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#89 - 2015-02-17 23:34:54 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
And Ms. Jenneth, most jump clones performed today do involve neuron-scorching flash scans. So there is certainly 'a death'.

That ... doesn't sound right.

An emergency cloning is a violent event.

A clone jump is not. That's ... the point of it.

A jump clone permits clone retention ... all implants retained, however expensive and fragile.

Medical bay to medical bay ... no actual cloning bay even required.

No deadly hair net. No capsuleer's thorn-crown. No neurotoxins to ensure death.

Did this ... change? There seems no reason why it should.
Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#90 - 2015-02-17 23:48:41 UTC
Lyn Farel wrote:
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:
That Infomorph Psychology thing, by the way? The real name of that skill is Voluntary Suicide.

That ... doesn't seem right.

One body sleeps. The ... infomorph ... passes.

The channeling's gentle. No data loss. No neuron-scorching flash scan.

The next body wakes. It ... goes about its day. It has breakfast, attends a meeting, laughs with friends over drinks.

The next day, it ... sleeps in turn. The first awakes, with all those memories.

Where is death?

It is not right.

There is no death for the identity, only for the body. Continuity of data stream and thought is conserved, like with any hardscan process.

Conventional thinking based on human perception of space time continuum can not cope with the scope of multiple identities and discontinuity of thought.

Telling that someone ceases to be that someone after a hardscan, or even a delayed cloning, is nonsensical. Technically you stop being you at the next second no matter what you do.

This is important.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#91 - 2015-02-18 00:31:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
Saede Riordan wrote:
Lyn Farel wrote:

This is important.

I think this is ... backward. Reversed, I mean.

A mind isn't a set pattern that ends because it changes. It isn't even software, loaded up from memory and then stashed away again.

A mind is an electrochemical dance among neurons. It reaches, touching there, there, there-- turning, sweeping, fetching, holding, leaping. It is always in motion, whether it is moving or being moved. Change defines its presence. If a mind stops ...

... maybe that's death. The living mind never truly stops, even in sleep. Even emptied in meditation, it still hears the wind whistle-- even if it lets the sound go. That clear stillness is a part of the dance, itself.

Does a mind in transition stop while the library it dances around in is boxed up and shipped to a new address?

Does it get ... packed? Still dancing?

... I guess we'd have to ask an expert.

Hm. Even if it does stop, that's only really profound if that's when the soul packs its bags and moves to Heaven.
James Syagrius
Reclamation
#92 - 2015-02-18 00:54:56 UTC
We do not know each other, but for what it’s worth you have my condolences on your recent trama.

You’re asking some interesting and important questions.

How did this happen to me?

Why did this happen to me?

Was it an accident?

Was it intentional?

If intentional who, or God forbid, did I do this to myself.

All important questions but in my estimation, pointless.

What really matters young lady is the now.

Who you were is unimportant, who you become depends upon your choices.

Make good ones.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#93 - 2015-02-18 03:18:31 UTC
Ah. So.

It looks like Samira is ... right ... as a rule, anyway ... about jump cloning, after all.

I ... or apparently even Aria, the former one, I mean ... had no idea it worked that way. Brains zapped. Implants surgically removed.

She would have loved the ghoulish details. One more step towards being a creature out of a storybook.

To me, it just seems ... wasteful.

That's our lives, though, isn't it? Great power. Great utility. Great privilege. Great waste.

... not just real vegetables in our diets, but meat. In space. Feeding doomed bodies.

It shouldn't be surprising.

Just another pile of meat.

... The transfer itself still doesn't seem all that profound, unless, again, there's really such a thing as a soul, and we each get one per biological life.

If we only get one, that first cloning is really profound; the others, not so much.

Or maybe we're lucky, or unlucky, and it comes along.

If Aria's-- my, that is-- people are right, though ... the soul is just who you are.

So. Um. Good choices? Okay.

... If you've got a sure way to spot those ... maybe you can share?
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#94 - 2015-02-18 04:01:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Miss Kernher,

I understand your reasons, both scientific and spiritual, for having little belief in the cloning system and a continuation of a persons self. However, please do not present them as absolute fact in this very sensitive and difficult situation where your words might affect others who are vulnerable. The topic is a subject of academic debate with a number of factors involved, and not an ironclad, no-grey-area reality as you are presenting it. Please remember this reality while you are making your assertions.
Vendrin
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#95 - 2015-02-18 06:38:49 UTC
Well I guess there's something to be said for starting fresh. I mean, all those capsuleers who can't cut it and just get stuck in a clone loop to enjoy the physical experiences all over again. Maybe you just decided to do the same with psychological.

Welcome back Aria. Don't limit yourself to humanity, we may be less then them, but we're something more too. And just because you're not human, doesn't mean you have to be a monster.

It's just easier that way.

Fly safe old friend.
Ollie Rundle
#96 - 2015-02-18 11:01:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Ollie Rundle
Samira Kernher wrote:
But as usual, capsuleers will cling to the delusion that they're immortal, and thus more special than the rest of humanity. So, forget I said anything, as it just falls on deaf ears and is drowned out by dreamers.

Funny. I don't recall saying or implying I was immortal or that I was any more or less special than humanity.

For the record, I'm neither immortal or human. I might well appear to be one or the other or even both depending on the perspective of the observer.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#97 - 2015-02-18 14:36:41 UTC
Vendrin wrote:
Welcome back Aria. Don't limit yourself to humanity, we may be less then them, but we're something more too. And just because you're not human, doesn't mean you have to be a monster.

It's just easier that way.

Ollie Rundle wrote:
For the record, I'm neither immortal or human.

Oooooh dear.

Aria? Are you out there? Can you see this happening?

Are you getting a kick out of this?

Your own "reset," your maybe kinda-sorta second chance, your fledgling pod-pilot self who is not even carrying your childhood baggage, has your associates and students suggesting to her that she's not human before she's even flown a ship.

What was that about "please ignore this if it doesn't apply to you; it could cause you damage?" Where's that principle now, huh?

Three cheers for unintended consequences!

... Gentlemen, thank you for the warm wishes. I think I'm going to go fill my very human, virgin ears with plaster until l've at least flown my first hundred hours.

... Ten, anyway.
Vendrin
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#98 - 2015-02-19 02:27:32 UTC
If you think you're still human, you haven't been paying attention to your own recent existence. You woke up after being dead. You may not be a monster like the rest of us, but at the very least you're a post-human.

But cling to what illusions you will if they comfort you, we all need our creature comforts, the beautiful thing about the vastness of space is that it doesn't really matter if we agree or not.
Xadiran
Moira.
#99 - 2015-02-19 06:25:24 UTC
I wouldn't listen too much to these arguments about immortality versus humanity, Aria.

Human, I think you've already figured out, is a state of mind. It's what kind of person you are.

I have no idea who you were before, or what kind of things you did, but if this truly is a sort of fresh start for you then I wish you well. Second chances are rare; I know that as well as anyone. Make the most of it.

Stay human, Aria. I can tell you that if you don't, you may come to regret it yourself.

Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#100 - 2015-02-19 20:49:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
Yesterday was a strange day.

It started with finally getting clearance to undock. I guess I'm not going to be shot.

That Merlin looked so huge, looming over my balcony in the station: metric tons of tritanium; blaster arrays powerful enough to slice another ship into chunks of debris; engine arrays I could have walked into. Launching ... the kick of the thrusters, the stronger push of afterburners-- it was exhilarating.

It sort of stayed ... impressive ... until I warped near the beacon at one of the "Unknown Structures."

I'm not sure my sense of scale's recovered yet.

We measured it at 196 km, antenna tip to bottom of hull, give or take a kilometer. It would ... take me a good few minutes to walk my own margin for error.

The Buzzard I switched over to to experiment with probing ... didn't seem so big anymore. Though I still feel pretty small.

The probing led to a, well, I guess "illegal" might not be the word.... A Federal Navy detention center, in Caldari space. I only saw the guard at the deadspace entry, but it was an intimidating force: Elite Navy frigates, mixed with cruisers, but the main force was a squadron of Gallente battleships, each ... I don't know how many times the size of my little cloaked frigate.

I felt very glad not to be seen.

While I was taking it all in, another pilot warped in, in an Ishtar. Chaos erupted. I thought ... I know, capsuleer, but still, he was so outnumbered, I thought ... they'd kill him for sure, but he fought his way through to the gate. The gate slung him away into the deeper reaches, and I sort of thought, how heroic, running a gauntlet like that to ... well, to rescue the prisoners, or shut the place down.

He came back a few minutes later, though, and everything just started exploding. I thought it was amazing at first, but then a companion ... reminded me what I was looking at: ships full of people bursting apart into vacuum, crews in the tens, hundreds, or thousands, dying every minute. And ... I realized, this isn't a battle. It's a massacre. He was just ... killing everyone.

I ... guess I must have sounded horrified, so my companion suggested we go save some lives. We ... headed out to the Caldari border with Amarr space, looking for stranded human cargo. Twenty minutes or so, and we didn't ... actually find anyone.

I'm told that this sort of mercy mission is looked down on, that it's not ... considered respectable work. And, cruel as it sounds, I can kind of see the point. We could have, at most, expected-- what, a few dozen? A couple hundred?

It seems as though we'd have had to get ... very lucky to save, in an hour, one percent of the numbers that Ishtar killed in five minutes. If we were trying to make a measurable difference, we failed, and we probably were always going to.

What's more, I got frustrated, and I started following the lines of reasoning so clearly laid out in my head. The discussion sort of ranged all over, but I didn't realize until near the end of it that I didn't care nearly as much about what I'd been saying as it sounded like I did.

I'd been ... following a script, assembling pieces of knowledge Aria had sort of pre-arranged for her own use.

Some of ... old Aria ... is beginning to make more sense now. At the same time, I don't want to just trust these ... "facts" that I remember.

They represent the world according to Aria.

Old Aria did believe in looking for the truth, but she was so partisan I have no way to distinguish between facts and "facts."

One thing is clear: if I want to be sure to become my own person, I need to be careful about debate. Old Aria loved debate, and most of the intact parts I have from her mind are intellectual knowledge-- debating material.

I can maybe trust its accuracy, but I can't ... trust its completeness. So, sifting what is true from what she believed is going to be sort of a process. But if I just trust her to have been right about things, I will end up thinking like her.

So ... I guess learning that is a start.

Time to start examining what I think I know.