These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

EVE spaceships are damn slow!

First post
Author
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#21 - 2015-02-18 21:14:29 UTC
We are not playing a space game. We are playing Internet Submarines with a space-themed backdrop, and this is fine.
Artenso Vestindal
Institute of Tax Optimalization
#22 - 2015-02-18 21:53:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Artenso Vestindal
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
In real space real combat would be next to impossible.

There are only a few earth based systems that can shoot a rocket travelling at high speeds.

Hence I think the future will be lasers and "spall". Machines will "predict" where the target is going and rely on pattern bursts and "metalstorm" guns (multiple projectiles per cartridge).

Presently a guided air to air missile is supersonic, some I think fly at Mach 7 or more. But unless the target is coming or going it's not going to hit and even if faster than a target, there stands to be a good chance of running out of fuel before reaching it (assuming the target is tallied from "the usual distance" which is tens of miles).

If this were a true space sim game there would hardly be any PVP.

Lets look on it realistically...
Lasers? Maaaaybe... But i think beam dispersion would be too big for lasers to be used in space for military purpose.You would most likely be limited to few thousands of kilometres. What is an effective range of nowadays military lasers? 10km, maybe less?. Also energy needed for sufficient laser beam is just TOO DAMN HIGH!
Guns? Maybe, I dont know what do normal guns use to burn its explosive propulsion for bullet. If this part of fuel would be provided in ammunition, i dont see much problems... Well, exept muzzle velocity would make its realistic rangehorrible... And its kinetic energy too...
Rockets? Great idea! Liquid fuel, some small maneuvering thursters,... Would work great, but i am affraid it would take just too much space... All that fuel for main propulsion, for maneuvering, warhead, liquid oxygen (or whatever) for warhead, probably nuclear warhead? or something like HEAT? Possibly thungsten or something, pure kinetic energy might be good enought... Problems? Too expensive, resources consuming, large...
Railguns? Yeah, EM guns would do wonder in space. They dont need any atmosphere, fuel,... just electromagnet. In way of energy consumption they take much less than lasers...

Possibilities of space combat?
1) Finding ship. Just try to find 100m object at 10000000km distance...
2) effective range. Not effective range of weapon, which is infinite (if you dont fire lasers, if you do, you are in kilometres...) but effective range to at least small possibility to hit. So lets say maximum of 30 light seconds distance, so something like 9000000km. Thats limit for missiles (you want to guid them to their target, right? Then you are limited by speed of light - how fast do you get information about target movement and give it to rocket to alter its path. It delay is too big, you will miss... 30s from target to you, 30s back, 1 minute delay could be quite accurate for spaceship battle)
For railguns, currently tested ones have muzzle velocity around 2500m/s (thats quite good, compared to something around 1000 for conventional firearms). Lets say you might by some devevlopment get to... 50km/s... It would be extremely hard to hit somethign with so slow. Not impossible, but hard... So railguns might be few thousands of kilometres range. Simmilar to laser, maybe lasers wont be so bad after all with its physically limited range simmilar to range limitation of railgun for accuracy reasons. And lasers would be extremely accurate on this distances... This also show that standart minmatar-like weapon systems is by far inferior to everything else. Sorry, slaves, no place for you in spacecombat :D

I would say missiles would be only real option for space battles, otherwise it would be too hard to even get in range to fight. Congratulations to Caldari state Big smile

Edit:
Primary This Rifter wrote:

Not really, you just can't have dogfights or drones.
Combat will look more like what we do in battleships at long range than anything else.

Ah drones! :D Lets just agree on what Primary said in both dogfights and drones Smile
Dogfights? No. Inertia, fuel burned in dogfights,...
In fact, drones possible? Why not? With drones its a bit hadred to justify why not, but lets say it would need normal size weaponry to be useful, huge ammounts of fuel to get into position, pobably just a bit less fuel capacity than main ship. They would have to be undocked and moved into position long before fight will even begin, they would take much more space than rockets when they are on ship moving elsewhere, their operation range would be limited simmilar way as what i describe for rockets and their weaponry would have same limitation as main weapons would have. And if anything goes wrong, without crew it would be much harder to do maintenance and repair jobs on them. Verdict, they gives no real advantage and many disadvantages (imagine how many rockets would fit into place for just a few drones...)
hollywood118921
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2015-02-18 22:11:02 UTC
It could happen if there were thrusters at key parts in the ship to turn you
Serene Repose
#24 - 2015-02-18 22:48:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Serene Repose
Well. Did you see the engine on that thing? Sure, it dropped off. But, if you want to talk speed, you have to talk the engine. It was a pre-catalytic converter modified Twin-V Harley. I think they kept the plush dice mirror hangers. Side note: They were runnin' with a Craig 8-Track playin' The Stone's Sticky Fingers...in QUAD!

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#25 - 2015-02-18 23:10:37 UTC
eve isn't a spaceship combat simulator

eve is a submarine combat simulator
Memphis Baas
#26 - 2015-02-18 23:47:10 UTC
We already have the sufficient brightness for background nebulas, so all we would need is just minor details here and there, and the "sky" can easily be made to look like a fishtank.
Mori Dey
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2015-02-19 01:29:30 UTC
Speed is measured relative to another object. Your car drives 60 mph faster than the rotation of the earth. In reality it moves much faster. The earth rotates around the sun, the sun around the central black hole of the milky way and the galaxy moves away from where the big bang originated.

We have very fast cars.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2015-02-19 02:20:53 UTC
Eve may appear to be a submarine simulator.

It is really a "Rubber Duck in a bathtub simulator".

This can be demonstrated by examining the collision model and also the way your ship bobs up and down when parked near a celestial.
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#29 - 2015-02-19 02:29:50 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Edgar Erata wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Edgar Erata wrote:
According to the 2002 Guinness World Records, Apollo 10 set the record for the highest speed attained by a manned vehicle at 39,897 km/h (11.08 km/s or 24,791 mph) during the return from the Moon on May 26, 1969 Attention

Did Apollo 10 have a warp drive that I didn't know about, because I have an Atron that'll zip across 20AU in a couple of seconds.

Lol I was talking about ships in normal flight Big smile

You're comparing video game mechanics to real physics. This is your error, because for the sake of gameplay, we have to keep things simple.

There was an Xplane game about a decade back I remember playing that gave you a few hypothetical spacefighters and I remember putting them to the test with some friends. No engagement ever took place because whenever an intercept was attempted, the inertia was always too great for practical turning into the engagement. Not just that, but as we passed our intercept targets, they only appeared for a brief fraction of a second before disappearing from view behind us because they were just moving too damn fast relative to us.

Ever since then, I've always wondered what a space combat game with real orbital physics might be like. You could, theoretically, engage ships in a high enough orbit with a proper intercept trajectory but if your targets were to see you coming, they could shift their orbit to avoid the intercept. Likewise, you could shift yours as well to set up a new intercept. But what might happen once you made engagement range? Well, if the orbit is too low, maneuvering of any kind might simply be out of the question, because you'd risk deorbiting and if your objective is to stay in space, you've got a problem. In that case, it might just be a straight-up shootout with whatever's coming to intercept you.

With a high enough orbit though, some low-speed maneuvering might actually be possible, and you could well see some close-up space battle action, but the speeds of engagement relative to one another would have to be low, while your orbital speed could remain quite high. Each ship maneuvering around other ships, though, would be shifting its own orbit in the process to some degree or another, but that's the thing - EVE, like most other space games, doesn't bother with gravity, while reality does, and that complicates how real space combat might go down.

Play space engineers. The speed may be extremely limited but it's still a pain in the ass at attempting to speed towards and follow a NPC ship whilst being shot at. It goes something like this.

I'M GETTING CLOSER!! I'M GETTING CLOSER!! **** I CAN'T TURN AROUND FAST ENOUGH!!! Well now he's all the way over there..

Hitting things manually is just as difficult, and bringing your ship in close and adjusting your speed to his is a really great way to get shot up by it's automatic turrets if you don't end up smacking right into him anyways, which is also hard to do because usualy I just flew on by (while being shot at).

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

permion
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2015-02-19 03:38:56 UTC
I thought warp drive coils/whatever were always online. Which means you're always interacting with "extra matter". So if you completely shut down your warp drive you'd be able to kick Apollo 11's rear end.

Your crew would probably mutiny immediately after shutting down your standby warp drive.

Pretty sure your ships life expectancy would be a matter of days as well. Since you're litterally a sitting duck with a known trajectory, even if you did change course it's not like you can hide in space. Seriously what could be more delicious than a ship that can't run away.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#31 - 2015-02-19 04:02:02 UTC
Edgar Erata wrote:
According to the 2002 Guinness World Records, Apollo 10 set the record for the highest speed attained by a manned vehicle at 39,897 km/h (11.08 km/s or 24,791 mph) during the return from the Moon on May 26, 1969 Attention
Don't know if it has been said yet, about to sleep.
You need to compare EVE ships against submarines, that is the correct, closest type of physics.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#32 - 2015-02-19 04:04:49 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:

You need to compare EVE ships against submarines, that is the correct, closest type of physics.

Submarines in space gravy.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#33 - 2015-02-19 04:15:22 UTC
I am so... not going to pvp you at 40k m/s.

Besides warp, i think any kind of close quarters spaceship combat would have to take place at similar relative velocities (all ships could be traveling at like 100k m/s but due to relative motion, they would seem slow.

Defeats the point of attacking each other if two ships were to collide at tens of thousands of meter per second. (Unless you were miner bumping)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln

Xadiran
Moira.
#34 - 2015-02-19 06:04:39 UTC
The reason for it is: Gameplay

The in-game fluff-oriented reason is that warp drives / inertial dampeners cause a sort of drag, limiting a ships sub-warp speeds.

That being said, EVE warp speeds are ridiculous even compared to other science fiction. Interceptors flying around 10 AU/s? Literally seconds from our sun to the edge of our solar system.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#35 - 2015-02-19 09:16:37 UTC
While I can't be bothered doing the exact maths, the speed of light is slightly over 2au/sec
So nearly every ship in EVE has an FTL drive.
CerN Frostwolf
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2015-02-19 10:14:03 UTC  |  Edited by: CerN Frostwolf
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
While I can't be bothered doing the exact maths, the speed of light is slightly over 2au/sec

Speed of light is nowhere even close to 2 AU/s. The sun is 1 AU from the earth, and light takes 7-8 minutes to reach us from the sun.

Speed of light is 7.21 AU/h, or 0.12 AU/s

EDIT: 0.002 AU/s and 0.12AU/min
SuperSpyScoutGirl
MV Corporation
#37 - 2015-02-19 10:23:09 UTC  |  Edited by: SuperSpyScoutGirl
CerN Frostwolf wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Speed of light is nowhere even close to 2 AU/s. The sun is 1 AU from the earth, and light takes 7-8 minutes to reach us from the sun.

149,597,870.7 km = 1AU
or
1AU = 149,597,870,700 m

Speed of light in a vacuum = 299 792 458 m / s

Speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s / 149,597,870,700 m/AU

= ~0.002 AU/s

Ships most certainly have a FTL drive.
CerN Frostwolf
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2015-02-19 10:28:55 UTC
SuperSpyScoutGirl wrote:
CerN Frostwolf wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

149,597,870.7 km = 1AU
or
1AU = 149,597,870,700 m

Speed of light in a vacuum = 299 792 458 m / s

Speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s / 149,597,870,700 m/AU

= ~0.002 AU/s

Ships most certainly have a FTL drive.

I stand corrected. It is 0.12 AU/minute and 0.002AU/s
Khaylinn Akhunshar
Popular People's Front of Judea
#39 - 2015-02-19 10:31:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Khaylinn Akhunshar
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

I'd recommend watching this video Riding light if you want to get a feel for the speed of light.

It's not a movie for the impatient though Smile
Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#40 - 2015-02-19 10:35:58 UTC
a shame they don't count virtual transportation, cuz there was a time when you could fit and activate multiple MWDs on any individual ship...

imagine a dramiel with 4 MWDs... Shocked
Previous page123Next page