These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

EVE spaceships are damn slow!

First post
Author
Edgar Erata
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-02-18 18:58:18 UTC
According to the 2002 Guinness World Records, Apollo 10 set the record for the highest speed attained by a manned vehicle at 39,897 km/h (11.08 km/s or 24,791 mph) during the return from the Moon on May 26, 1969 Attention
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2015-02-18 18:59:35 UTC
I'm pretty sure a Titan warping at 1.5AU/s is pretty fast
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-02-18 18:59:46 UTC
Edgar Erata wrote:
According to the 2002 Guinness World Records, Apollo 10 set the record for the highest speed attained by a manned vehicle at 39,897 km/h (11.08 km/s or 24,791 mph) during the return from the Moon on May 26, 1969 Attention

Did Apollo 10 have a warp drive that I didn't know about, because I have an Atron that'll zip across 20AU in a couple of seconds.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Edgar Erata
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-02-18 19:05:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Edgar Erata
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Edgar Erata wrote:

Did Apollo 10 have a warp drive that I didn't know about, because I have an Atron that'll zip across 20AU in a couple of seconds.

Lol I was talking about ships in normal flight Big smile
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#5 - 2015-02-18 19:05:28 UTC
It might have been going fast, but how about that turning radius? Bet it couldn't pull off a turn at that speed in smaller than a dramiel going at the same speed could.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Nalia White
Tencus
#6 - 2015-02-18 19:05:30 UTC
Edgar Erata wrote:

did they measure that speed in the film studios in area 51? impressive :P

Syndicate - K5-JRD

Home to few, graveyard for many

My biggest achievement

Memphis Baas
#7 - 2015-02-18 19:07:37 UTC
Issue has been brought up in the past; you'd be shooting at a dot on the radar if realistic speeds are implemented, because realistic speeds also require realistic distances, and the ships will just be dots at 10-100-1000 km ranges.

So for the sake of pretty graphics, they've limited the range of guns and speed of ships.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-02-18 19:16:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Edgar Erata wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Edgar Erata wrote:

Lol I was talking about ships in normal flight Big smile

You're comparing video game mechanics to real physics. This is your error, because for the sake of gameplay, we have to keep things simple.

There was an Xplane game about a decade back I remember playing that gave you a few hypothetical spacefighters and I remember putting them to the test with some friends. No engagement ever took place because whenever an intercept was attempted, the inertia was always too great for practical turning into the engagement. Not just that, but as we passed our intercept targets, they only appeared for a brief fraction of a second before disappearing from view behind us because they were just moving too damn fast relative to us.

Ever since then, I've always wondered what a space combat game with real orbital physics might be like. You could, theoretically, engage ships in a high enough orbit with a proper intercept trajectory but if your targets were to see you coming, they could shift their orbit to avoid the intercept. Likewise, you could shift yours as well to set up a new intercept. But what might happen once you made engagement range? Well, if the orbit is too low, maneuvering of any kind might simply be out of the question, because you'd risk deorbiting and if your objective is to stay in space, you've got a problem. In that case, it might just be a straight-up shootout with whatever's coming to intercept you.

With a high enough orbit though, some low-speed maneuvering might actually be possible, and you could well see some close-up space battle action, but the speeds of engagement relative to one another would have to be low, while your orbital speed could remain quite high. Each ship maneuvering around other ships, though, would be shifting its own orbit in the process to some degree or another, but that's the thing - EVE, like most other space games, doesn't bother with gravity, while reality does, and that complicates how real space combat might go down.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-02-18 19:22:02 UTC
Edgar Erata wrote:

You are correct. In fact the large majority of ships in eve would not even reach the escape velocity required to break away from earth which requires 11.2kps.
ggodhsup
relocation LLC.
#10 - 2015-02-18 19:22:29 UTC
Nalia White wrote:
Edgar Erata wrote:

did they measure that speed in the film studios in area 51? impressive :P

greaaaaaat. one of you people.

my linked dram approaches 11k/s

and has absurd agility.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-02-18 19:40:22 UTC
HeXxploiT wrote:
In fact the large majority of ships in eve would not even reach the escape velocity required to break away from earth which requires 11.2kps.

And now you know why the Atmospheric Flight designs for Eve were scrapped.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#12 - 2015-02-18 19:50:20 UTC
Relative to what?

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-02-18 19:51:08 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
HeXxploiT wrote:
In fact the large majority of ships in eve would not even reach the escape velocity required to break away from earth which requires 11.2kps.

And now you know why the Atmospheric Flight designs for Eve were scrapped.

Ship speeds have nothing to do with that, that's a matter of complex code, nothing more. There's no reason that unrealistic ship speeds would hinder atmospheric flight mechanics because reality doesn't factor into video game mechanics, only playability.

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-02-18 20:03:33 UTC
Ship speeds were set to levels that make the game enjoyable and balanced to play. Man. That's really a mindblowing revelation, Edgar.

As for normal speed, eve spaceships go 0 m/s at normal speed, because they are neither normal nor real. If you're referring to the maximum speed of the ship, than warp drive IS its normal speed, as that is how the ship propels itself. You dont say that the normal speed of a lungfish is how fast it can wriggle on land when comparing it to how fast a pig can move, you compare it at it's top sustainable speed. Its normal.

So no, eve space ships are not slow. Even the absolute slowest of ships in Eve completely blows anything real and current out of the water.
Varathius
Enlightened Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2015-02-18 20:15:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Varathius
as an aerospace engineer let me explain you all that .... lol

back on topic, I think it is best not to get too much involved into realism detail here (as hard as this will be for Asperger affected people), but eve ships behave as they would navigate under water and compared to modern day submarines on planet earth all I can say is that they are going dang fast.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2015-02-18 20:25:02 UTC
Edgar Erata wrote:

Casuals.

Voyager 1 is doing 61,000 km/h on by far the best road trip ever.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#17 - 2015-02-18 20:30:37 UTC
Im sure that Eve ships could easily attain such speeds if gravitational slingshots were a thing in Eve. Just orbit your Megathron around a moon for a few days and then burn at the correct time.

Alright gents, were going to kite the enemy next week, start your slingshot trajectories now.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#18 - 2015-02-18 20:39:50 UTC
In real space real combat would be next to impossible.

There are only a few earth based systems that can shoot a rocket travelling at high speeds.

Hence I think the future will be lasers and "spall". Machines will "predict" where the target is going and rely on pattern bursts and "metalstorm" guns (multiple projectiles per cartridge).

Presently a guided air to air missile is supersonic, some I think fly at Mach 7 or more. But unless the target is coming or going it's not going to hit and even if faster than a target, there stands to be a good chance of running out of fuel before reaching it (assuming the target is tallied from "the usual distance" which is tens of miles).

If this were a true space sim game there would hardly be any PVP.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Artenso Vestindal
Institute of Tax Optimalization
#19 - 2015-02-18 20:57:01 UTC
1. EVE Online isnt spaceship simulator but submarine simulator... (friction of vacuum leading to ship slowing after putting AB/MWD offline? Aligning horisontally when no movement? no, were are not in space, we are in water/ether/something other and we aree floating in there...
And why else would you be limited to tens of kilometres in range of weaponry, when real life railguns that are currently ready for military uses have greater effective range in Earths gravitation field and with all variables of atmosphere than large railgun in EVE space?
2. if flying around, ranges,... still seems slow for you, multiply everything (distances, speed,...) by 100 or 1000. No big deal...
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#20 - 2015-02-18 21:05:00 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
In real space real combat would be next to impossible.

Not really, you just can't have dogfights or drones.
Combat will look more like what we do in battleships at long range than anything else.
123Next page