These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

risk =dead in eve

First post
Author
Andrew Russell
Backyard Mining Co.
Strange Alliance
#1 - 2015-02-14 08:35:41 UTC
This thread is not to be read by gankers because I really dont care what they have to say. The risk of mining in a hulk outweighs the reward expenontially. With maximum yield in 0.5 space using orca and 3 hulks i bring in roughly 120mil phr. That means to make enough to cover the full cost of a hulk thats fitted and insured i have to mine for 2 1/2hrs. When i only get to mine for 20 mins and all three hulks get ganked then im completely screwed out of all my profits for the next 7 1/2hrs. full coverage insurance only pays out 60mil. that covers the modules and crystals. and before you say "well you should have seen it coming". No you cant. unless you have every ganker in game as a contact you wont see it coming. If it was so easy to see it coming then nobody would get ganked.
i have talked to so many new players that have joined eve via trial accounts and subscribed the next day that have quit playing 2 weeks in because they get ganked in highsec. i dont see how eve gets any new players at all. the main reason they quit is because they get ganked or they find it boring. I have flown around ratting belts in HS out of boredom and get yelled at by noobs because i scared the shat out of them. what kind of gameplay is that? who would want to play a game where you are constantly jumping out of your chair because a ship warped in, or your trying your hardest to make some isk and get ganked then lose every bit of profit you just made. CCP tries to limit the chances of getting ganked in HS but i dont see any difference. 2 yrs ago i almost never saw gankers in HS. then i didnt play for an eight month period and then when i get back i see a ganker in every system at least twice a day. If they did anything, they helped promote ganking.
Ask a ganker why they do it and its always "look at my killboard. how many other players do you see with 42bil" so basically its just a stat padding technique in between roams or fleet fights. I can easily see being ganked in lowsec or beyond as legitimate game play, but in highsec its just ridiculous. how do you expect small corps and noobs to get anywhere with these "jerks" ruining their chances. I never thought that CCP would have to ban ganking in highsec but it has gotten that bad. it is negatively affecting the game, to the point where drastic measures are required. I dont mean ban ganking in 0.8 or higher, because the new guys like to get into the .5 belts as well.
If CCP is willing to give up new players to not disappoint or lose some of the veteran players then i will be thoroughly disgusted. The last thing i want to see is this game come to an end, equal to that would be the transformation like world of warcraft. but second to that would be a stagnant subscription base each year. I have thought about this for so long, but the only thing i can see that would fix this problem is banning gankers from highsec. Or maybe just giving all mining ships the same tank as skiffs. All i know is that something has to be done to stop the ganking. It is out of control. And again nobody wants to play a game where your constantly on edge looking over you shoulder. wondering if the last person that just entered local is a ganker. video games are not suppose to make normal people paranoid, delusional freaks. they are suppose to be fun and a way to relax and have fun. I fully understand CCP's intentions on making this a player controlled enviroment but thats like removing law enforcement from the streets. concord is useless, they help after the fact and if people want to stat pad then to bad. they can go join brave and get in on their 500 killmail a day fleets. Highsec should be safer for the "carebears" aka noobs. Just remember that new subscriptions means new targets. The more that join the more there will be. And yes you will have to wait for them to move ouf of highsec but if you weren't chasing new players off for the last year there would already be plenty out there. I'm not trying to ruin any ones fun but gankers are and thats what im trying to put a stop to. the alternative to ganking miners would be wardecing all miner corps to prevent them from mining and that would become an issue but we could overcome that issue and hopefully at a quicker pace. so go ahead and post all your thoughts as to how this idea would ruin eve forever and how its just idiotic in general. have fun, fly safe o7
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-02-14 08:45:31 UTC
tl;dr
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#3 - 2015-02-14 08:47:27 UTC
afkalt wrote:
tl;dr

"Waah, other players are allowed to shoot me".

I went ahead and reported the OP for his ranting, his posting the exceedingly redundant topic of "delete PvP", and for his shockingly bad taste in paragraph structure.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#4 - 2015-02-14 08:59:47 UTC
Okay partly, Yes this is eve deal with it.

Partly a hulk only paying 60m in insurance (if thats platinum anyways) thats silly. The thing is, I also live mainly in highsec and mainly do pve stuff. So i can sort of see what he's on about here... Mining is something thats hard to deal with out a clear "counter" to ganking... Those ships arent what you'd call pvp viable (battlehulk is a thing i know)

I just wonder what the end goal of all this miner ganking is, i mean sure its fun for the gankers (if thats your cuppa tea) but it cannot be good for the economy...
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#5 - 2015-02-14 09:09:41 UTC
FireFrenzy wrote:

I just wonder what the end goal of all this miner ganking is, i mean sure its fun for the gankers (if thats your cuppa tea) but it cannot be good for the economy...

It's actually excellent for the economy. It keeps mineral prices from inflating too much, and stimulates demand for barges, exhumers and freighters.

If gankers didn't exist, those ships would never die in highsec, and the people who make and sell them would have no demand for their products.

Destruction of ships, mods and assets is the cornerstone that this game's economy revolves around.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#6 - 2015-02-14 09:30:43 UTC
Is the OP about China?
They too, have a great wall. Although theirs is made of bricks.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2015-02-14 09:53:56 UTC
You getting ganked is your own fault... Just use the damn d-scan and check population in local? Easy.
For your post as well, what are you? Are you 7 and just learned to write? Put some damn spaces between each section.
Your whining is already bad enough, but now my eyes hurt as well.
Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#8 - 2015-02-14 09:56:12 UTC
Put one of your alts into a rook / falcon. Jam 1 or 2 of the dessies that gank you and you'll survive / lose less ships.

Alternatively, put 1 alt into a t1 logi cruiser. Repair your ships (with a yellow safety trigger) the moment they go criminal trying to gank you. Put that alt say 30km off, orbiting your orca. Should have a similar effect.

And if none of those work for you, sit and watch d-scan like a hawk. The moment you see a destroyer or a bunch of noob ships appear... align and warp your "fleet of alts" to a station.

Don't care to do any of the aobve?

Then Hello Kitty Online is that way ->

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-02-14 09:57:14 UTC
Your wall of text strikes perfectly for 9999 damage.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#10 - 2015-02-14 10:35:41 UTC
Andrew Russell wrote:
This thread is not to be read by gankers

And if we do, you'll...?

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Jawls Rohn
Neon Incorporated
#11 - 2015-02-14 10:55:43 UTC
If you're worried about hulk losses making your mining unprofitable, just use procurers instead

Or even covetors, if you must use a barge meant for yield. Both of these options are much cheaper than a hulk and a procurer is much harder to gank if sensibly fitted.

Problem solved.
Hrothgar Nilsson
#12 - 2015-02-14 10:56:30 UTC
Andrew Russell wrote:
This thread is not to be read by gankers because I really dont care what they have to say. The risk of mining in a hulk

I'll stop you right there. That's your problem. Stop mining in Hulks.

You can get 80% of a Hulk's yield mining with a Skiff, and a Skiff has ~400% the EHP of a Hulk if they're both fitted for max yield.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#13 - 2015-02-14 11:17:32 UTC
I think the real problem here is your assumption that just because you have asteroids to mine that you should but then otoh you are someone paying $45/month to play a videogame while doing one of the least rewarding activities in it.

So I get that you feel ganking is out of control but really mate there's a larger problem at work here and it's called highsec. I'm not going to beat the old drum about it - highsec is too big already and discourages competition.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#14 - 2015-02-14 11:42:02 UTC
tldr

paragraphs dude, im not reading that solid lump o letters
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#15 - 2015-02-14 11:54:06 UTC
Quote:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

Thread locked.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department