These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#541 - 2015-02-11 11:16:23 UTC
And just when I thought this thread couldn't get worse, I was proven wrong. Bravo!
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#542 - 2015-02-11 11:17:54 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:
And just when I thought this thread couldn't get worse, I was proven wrong. Bravo!

If you're going to sock puppet, at least do it with an out of alliance alt... Good Lord, is this amateur hour?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#543 - 2015-02-11 11:21:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Yes, it is. By the very definition you linked. You are not entitled to redefine the entire English language to suit your vile agenda. Unless that is you're admitting that feminism does not view males as people.

I'm not redefining the English language. Sexism - As in, the term - Was created to define prejudice against women. It's only very recently that men have started adopting it to apply it to themselves.

And I don't know how many times I can repeat that I understand and sympathize with lots of men who are also victims of discrimination. Everyone is a victim of the societies oppression and bias, men very much included.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
its sexism .

if you cant tell that then get the **** off your soap box and go back to whatever echo chamber you came from

You guys are getting really mad over this one little thing I didn't even intend to focus the post on. I shouldn't have added that part at all.

If you want to call prejudice against men "sexism", I'm not going to tell you you're a terrible person or anything like that - Go nuts. It's a quibble. The fact that I personally wouldn't describe it with that term doesn't mean that I'm saying that prejudice doesn't exist or isn't an issue. It is an issue. It's bad. I think it is an equally important problem if not one of the same level of magnitude in terms of society.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#544 - 2015-02-11 11:24:54 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

If you're going to sock puppet, at least do it with an out of alliance alt... Good Lord, is this amateur hour?

:getout:
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#545 - 2015-02-11 11:24:55 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

I'm not redefining the English language.

You literally are. You've also admitted that you don't consider men to be people, or actions against them to be morally wrong. Which is disgusting enough in and of itself, nevermind the rest of what you're saying.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#546 - 2015-02-11 11:27:26 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Yes, it is. By the very definition you linked. You are not entitled to redefine the entire English language to suit your vile agenda. Unless that is you're admitting that feminism does not view males as people.

I'm not redefining the English language. Sexism - As in, the term - Was created to define prejudice against women. It's only very recently that men have started adopting it to apply it to themselves.

And I don't know how many times I can repeat that I understand and sympathize with lots of men who are also victims of discrimination. Everyone is a victim of the societies oppression and bias, men very much included.

its sexism .

if you cant tell that then get the **** off your soap box and go back to whatever echo chamber you came from

You guys are getting really mad over this one little thing I didn't even intend to focus the post on. I shouldn't have added that part at all.

If you want to call prejudice against men "sexism", I'm not going to tell you you're a terrible person or anything like that - Go nuts. It's a quibble. The fact that I personally wouldn't describe it with that term doesn't mean that I'm saying that prejudice doesn't exist or isn't an issue. It is an issue. It's bad. I think it is an equally important issue if not one of the same level of magnitude in terms of society.

its the same issue,
you probably shouldn't be talking about it if you don't understand this.

you know, before you offend someone.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#547 - 2015-02-11 11:29:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

the term "sexism" was most likely coined on November 18, 1965, by Pauline M. Leet during the Student-Faculty Forum at Franklin and Marshall College. The term appears in Leet's forum contribution titled "Women and the Undergraduate", in which she defines it by comparing it to racism, saying in part, "When you argue…that since fewer women write good poetry this justifies their total exclusion, you are taking a position analogous to that of the racist — I might call you in this case a "sexist"… Both the racist and the sexist are acting as if all that has happened had never happened, and both of them are making decisions and coming to conclusions about someone’s value by referring to factors which are in both cases irrelevant."

Probably the first time the term "sexism" appeared in print was in Caroline Bird's speech "On Being Born Female", which was published on November 15, 1968, in Vital Speeches of the Day (p. 6). In this speech she said in part, "There is recognition abroad that we are in many ways a sexist country. Sexism is judging people by their sex when sex doesn’t matter. Sexism is intended to rhyme with racism. Both have been used to keep the powers that be in power."

As its etymology indicates, the first use of the word sexism in print is relatively recent—i.e., the 1960s, specifically 1968—and was intended by its user to "rhyme with racism." Linguistically similar to racism, the word is a general abstraction that does not in and of itself connote a great deal of positive or negative meaning without additional context (i.e., "sexism" = noun of action/condition regarding "sex"), and so its definition and semantics are not entirely settled. Nonetheless, the term is commonly used, often negatively as a pejorative (e.g., "sexist"), and is associated with gender-based prejudice, violence, dislike, discrimination, or oppression.

Never, not once, was it created to define prejudice against women specifically at all. At the time it was created though, it was sexism against women that was most obvious, even though sexism against men was occurring all the time. And still does.

I suggest next time you're going to assert claims about etymology, you try to have citations. Like this one.

https://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/feminism-friday-the-origins-of-the-word-sexism/

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#548 - 2015-02-11 11:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Remiel Pollard wrote:
the term "sexism" was most likely coined on November 18, 1965, by Pauline M. Leet during the Student-Faculty Forum at Franklin and Marshall College. The term appears in Leet's forum contribution titled "Women and the Undergraduate", in which she defines it by comparing it to racism, saying in part, "When you argue…that since fewer women write good poetry this justifies their total exclusion, you are taking a position analogous to that of the racist — I might call you in this case a "sexist"… Both the racist and the sexist are acting as if all that has happened had never happened, and both of them are making decisions and coming to conclusions about someone’s value by referring to factors which are in both cases irrelevant."

Probably the first time the term "sexism" appeared in print was in Caroline Bird's speech "On Being Born Female", which was published on November 15, 1968, in Vital Speeches of the Day (p. 6). In this speech she said in part, "There is recognition abroad that we are in many ways a sexist country. Sexism is judging people by their sex when sex doesn’t matter. Sexism is intended to rhyme with racism. Both have been used to keep the powers that be in power."

As its etymology indicates, the first use of the word sexism in print is relatively recent—i.e., the 1960s, specifically 1968—and was intended by its user to "rhyme with racism." Linguistically similar to racism, the word is a general abstraction that does not in and of itself connote a great deal of positive or negative meaning without additional context (i.e., "sexism" = noun of action/condition regarding "sex"), and so its definition and semantics are not entirely settled. Nonetheless, the term is commonly used, often negatively as a pejorative (e.g., "sexist"), and is associated with gender-based prejudice, violence, dislike, discrimination, or oppression.

Never, not once, was it created to define prejudice against women specifically at all. At the time it was created though, it was sexism against women that was most obvious, even though sexism against men was occurring all the time. And still does.

I suggest next time you're going to assert claims about etymology, you try to have citations. Like this one.

https://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/feminism-friday-the-origins-of-the-word-sexism/

Oh, I didn't know that! I apologize for making that claim about the origin then - Most of my sources are more recent. You're right in that regard.

However, I still think that there is considerable history in the word that firmly associates it with women, which is supported from a wider sociological perspective as well. That blog you linked there has a good article on the topic, as a matter of fact.

Again, I accept that it's not clear cut and I wouldn't string someone up for describing bias against men as "sexism".

its the same issue,

I have to disagree with you there. While both genders do experience difficulties on the basis of gender, they usually aren't the same difficulties.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#549 - 2015-02-11 11:38:05 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

its the same issue,

I have to disagree with you there. While both genders do experience difficulties on the basis of gender, they usually aren't the same difficulties.

http://i.imgur.com/Op3i6xb.jpg
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#550 - 2015-02-11 11:42:58 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

However, I still think that there is considerable history in the word that firmly associates it with women, which is supported from a wider sociological perspective as well.

Of course there is, that's because, and I'll reiterate here, sexism against women is more obvious. More proliferant? No, not even close. But definitely more obvious. If you want a real question to ponder, it might be that one: why is sexism against women no less proliferant than that against men, and yet, why is more of a ruckus made about it? That's a proper academic question for proper academic debate and study. Why are the women and children always first on the lifeboats or down the ladder in an apartment fire, and why are the men always expected to fight in times of war? What makes female genital mutilation headline worthy, but millions of circumcisions of baby boys annually barely worth the same airtime? These are real issues. Why less women than men play a videogame is barely worth a kickstarter campaign, yet it still managed to get one thanks to a very clever feminist agenda that's led people to believe that her issues are incredibly important.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#551 - 2015-02-11 11:43:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

its the same issue,

Men, for example, (in most cases) do not experience and cannot relate to the fear of sexual assault, domestic violence, or pay grade bias.

Women, on the other hand, (again, in most cases) do not experience and cannot relate to stuff like bias in the justice system, conscription, being painted as an aggressor in unjustified cases, etc.

Same cause (patriarchy, gender roles), but different issues.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#552 - 2015-02-11 11:43:52 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
You guys are getting really mad over this one little thing

Interesting assumption and word choice
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#553 - 2015-02-11 11:46:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
You literally don't know anything about feminism, atleast not in any academic sense non-tumblr sense, despite claiming you're some sort of jaded expert.

Yes, I hear that a lot. However if we're going to discuss the term, let's not restrict it to ivory tower academics who accomplish nothing but a fantastic circle-jerk.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Sexism against men can't exist, because "sexism" is a term for a greater social phenomenon that is pervasive through society in almost every culture in the world - That is, men holding the majority of power in social, political, and economic terms.

So in other words, this isn't about equality of opportunity and rights, this is about a competition for power. I see.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
While there are privileges women have that men do not (which itself is a problem, albeit a less dangerous one, since not many men are getting sexually assaulted or being paid less) most of those privileges are associated with the assumption of their inherent vulnerability and/or incompetence in comparison to men, rather then the sex being assumed to have many inherent virtues. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

There are almost as many men who are sexually assaulted and raped as there are women, and they're roughly as likely to be victims of domestic violence. They're far less likely to be taken seriously, however.
There aren't women being paid less for the same work, at least not in Western countries. The "Wage Gap" argument is a classic example of the misleading statistics I was referring to above: yes, women on average make 78 cents for every $1 men make, but it's not because men make more than women at the same jobs. They simply don't. It's because women are more likely to go into lower-paying professions, work fewer hours, and not advance as far.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Men can certainly be subject to prejudice and bias on an individual level as a result of their gender, or suffer indirectly as a result of sexism, which are both bad things and they shouldn't be treated that way. But sexist as a lebel can't be applied to women because the term was coined to describe the institutionalized oppression that women face in a subtle, but omnipresent fashion specifically. To do so would diminish what it describes. It's certainly not because being crappy to men because they are men is cool and justified in the eyes of the rational feminist community, as you're making it out to be.

No, sexism means prejudice or discrimination based on sex. This is another issue I have with feminism: they tend to define words however they want to to fit their own agenda.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
You're acting as if feminism is some crusade against men. It's not - It's a social movement against the concept of the Patriarchy, the greater social impetus that thrusts unfair expectations towards both genders and hurts people on both sides of the fence. However, it is necessary to acknowledge that the "hurt", while far from completely one sided, is very much skewed in one direction.

The Patriarchy doesn't exist.
You're not demonized as a potential rapist on the basis of your gender. I am.
You're not considered expendable and potentially forced into war on the basis of your gender. I am.
When charged with a crime, I am much more likely to be convicted than you are, on the basis of my gender.
When convicted with a crime, I'm likely to get a much heavier sentence than you are, on the basis of my gender.
Your genital integrity is legally protected. Not only is mine not, but the practice of cutting on infant male genitalia is very common in my county.
For any given location, there are likely several choices for domestic violence shelters catering specifically to your gender. For these same locations, there are likely none for mine.
There are many more examples...
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#554 - 2015-02-11 11:47:16 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

its the same issue,

Men, for example, (in most cases) do not experience and cannot relate to the fear of sexual assault, domestic violence, or pay grade bias.

You have some serious catching up to do.

Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#555 - 2015-02-11 11:49:43 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:
So in other words, this isn't about equality of opportunity and rights, this is about a competition for power. I see.

Everything is about that. It's the way the human brain is wired. Everyone thinks highly of themselves and it causes friction, sparks, fires. Look at the last 4-5 pages of this very thread.
Primary This Rifter
#556 - 2015-02-11 11:50:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

I wonder how much of that fear is due to feminists telling them absurd bullshit like "one in five college women will be raped" and "men make 22 cents more than women for the same work".

If you get told enough that you're being oppressed, you're going to start believing it whether it's actually true or not.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#557 - 2015-02-11 11:54:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Primary This Rifter wrote:

The Patriarchy doesn't exist.
You're not demonized as a potential rapist on the basis of your gender. I am.
You're not considered expendable and potentially forced into war on the basis of your gender. I am.
When charged with a crime, I am much more likely to be convicted than you are, on the basis of my gender.
When convicted with a crime, I'm likely to get a much heavier sentence than you are, on the basis of my gender.
Your genital integrity is legally protected. Not only is mine not, but the practice of cutting on infant male genitalia is very common in my county.
There are many more examples...

You're taking the Patriarchy to mean "Evil male conspiracy". That's not what it means. The Patriarchy is responsible for all those problems.

The Patriarchy is, in terms of feminist theory, the social constructs that create the notions that women are weak, vulnerable, fragile things that need to be protected, rather then assert themselve, while men are strong, independent, violent and powerful. Both genders suffer from these ideas.

I deliberately said, "in most cases." Replace "most" with "the majority". I fully accept men are victims of both sexual assault and physical abuse. However, it is not as common.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#558 - 2015-02-11 11:55:18 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

its the same issue,

Women, on the other hand, (again, in most cases) do not experience and cannot relate to stuff like bias in the justice system, conscription, being painted as an aggressor in unjustified cases, etc.

you're an idiot, what a stupid comment

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Primary This Rifter
#559 - 2015-02-11 12:00:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Their corp webpage is a tumblr blog. This explains everything.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#560 - 2015-02-11 12:01:12 UTC
Lan Wang wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

its the same issue,

you're an idiot, what a stupid comment

What an incredibly well articulated contribution to the discussion.

I'm being sarcastic of course, this is not how you reach victims of misinformation who are actually trying to have a discussion. This is how you turn people into attack mode, and initiate the backfire effect, whereby the person you are addressing actually becomes more sure of what they think they know because of your attack. And as a result, it's people like you that make this conversation so incredibly difficult to have.

But what am I saying? I'm talking to a Kadeshi here, your comment was little more than projection.