These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#521 - 2015-02-11 09:53:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Isn't it great how any argument between feminists and non-feminists always seems to devolve into the feminists insulting their opposition's appearance, lifestyle, and supposed lack of promiscuity?

That says pretty much everything you need to know about them.

I hope for your sake that you are trolling, and indeed for the sake of any women you may get to know when you are old enough to go out and meet women you are not related to by blood.

Hi, here's your daily reminder that you can be for equal rights without being a feminist.
There are a lot of reasonable feminists, sure. But there are also an awful lot of extremists, and those are the ones whose voices get heard. It's the reason we have male college students getting expelled over unsubstantiated **** accusations, for one.

Most arguments with feminists, both online and offline, generally tend to be dominated by their use of emotional arguments, misleading statistics, and logical fallacies. These people don't even believe that sexism towards men can even exist, and they tell men to check their male privilege while completely ignoring the many privileges women have that men don't.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#522 - 2015-02-11 10:01:07 UTC
oh man this got ugly,
not quite ugly enough to warrant a lock but still pretty ugly.

Isn't it great how any argument between feminists and non-feminists always seems to devolve into the feminists insulting their opposition's appearance, lifestyle, and supposed lack of promiscuity?

derp,
no ,
discussions with belligerent morons end like that .
sweeping generalisations are bad mkaaaay

my partner is a feminist and we have never argued once over the subject and we argue over -everything-

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#523 - 2015-02-11 10:03:23 UTC
You're right, I shouldn't have used the world "always". "Often" would have been appropriate, though.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#524 - 2015-02-11 10:03:35 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

Seriously though, if you can't handle a Jesus joke, you really need to revisit your sense of humour. You, of all people, were the last on these forums I expected to blow this out of proportion with a stroppy, salty accusation of racism.

Then I can only assume that you haven't gone through his post history.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sera Kor-Azor
Amarrian Mission of the Sacred Word
#525 - 2015-02-11 10:12:50 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:

I hope for your sake that you are trolling, and indeed for the sake of any women you may get to know when you are old enough to go out and meet women you are not related to by blood.

Hi, here's your daily reminder that you can be for equal rights without being a feminist.
There are a lot of reasonable feminists, sure. But there are also an awful lot of extremists, and those are the ones whose voices get heard. It's the reason we have male college students getting expelled over unsubstantiated **** accusations, for one.

Most arguments with feminists, both online and offline, generally tend to be dominated by their use of emotional arguments, misleading statistics, and logical fallacies. These people don't even believe that sexism towards men can even exist, and they tell men to check their male privilege while completely ignoring the many privileges women have that men don't.

Just for fun, substitute the word 'Feminist' for 'Christian' or 'Republican' and see if the argument still works.

"A manu dei e tet rimon" - I am the devoted hand of the divine God.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#526 - 2015-02-11 10:35:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo

(EDIT: I'm adding this clarification to the start of this post since people are getting upset: Men suffer from both passive and active discrimination and I do not intend to downplay that. My explanation of the semantic definition of the word "sexism" is based on wider social implications and is not to suggest I think men are immune from discrimination.)

You literally don't know anything about feminism, atleast not in any academic sense non-tumblr sense, despite claiming you're some sort of jaded expert.

Sexism against men can't exist, because "sexism" is a term for a greater social phenomenon that is pervasive through society in almost every culture in the world - That is, men holding the majority of power in social, political, and economic terms. While there are privileges women have that men do not (which itself is a problem, albeit a less dangerous one, since not many men are getting sexually assaulted or being paid less) most of those privileges are associated with the assumption of their inherent vulnerability and/or incompetence in comparison to men, rather then the sex being assumed to have many inherent virtues. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Men can certainly be subject to prejudice and bias on an individual level as a result of their gender, or suffer indirectly as a result of sexism, which are both bad things and they shouldn't be treated that way. But sexist as a lebel can't be applied to women because the term was coined to describe the institutionalized oppression that women face in a subtle, but omnipresent fashion specifically. To do so would diminish what it describes. It's certainly not because being crappy to men because they are men is cool and justified in the eyes of the rational feminist community, as you're making it out to be.

You're acting as if feminism is some crusade against men. It's not - It's a social movement against the concept of the Patriarchy, the greater social impetus that thrusts unfair expectations towards both genders and hurts people on both sides of the fence. However, it is necessary to acknowledge that the "hurt", while far from completely one sided, is very much skewed in one direction.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#527 - 2015-02-11 10:41:15 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Sexism against men can't exist

Not going to lie, I stopped reading right here. Go ahead and break out the Miriam Webster before you go off on another bigoted tangent like that.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sera Kor-Azor
Amarrian Mission of the Sacred Word
#528 - 2015-02-11 10:41:33 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

You literally don't know anything about feminism, atleast not in any academic sense non-tumblr sense, despite claiming you're some sort of jaded expert.

Sexism against men can't exist, because "sexism" is a term for a greater social phenomenon that is pervasive through society in almost every culture in the world - That is, men holding the majority of power in social, political, and economic terms. While there are privileges women have that men do not (which itself is a problem, albeit a less dangerous one, since not many men are getting sexually assaulted or being paid less) most of those privileges are associated with the assumption of their inherent vulnerability and/or incompetence in comparison to men, rather then the sex being assumed to have many inherent virtues. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Men can certainly be subject to prejudice and bias on an individual level as a result of their gender, or suffer indirectly as a result of sexism, which are both bad things and they shouldn't be treated that way. But sexist as a lebel can't be applied to women because the term was coined to describe the institutionalized oppression that women face in a subtle, but omnipresent fashion specifically. To do so would diminish what it describes. It's certainly not because being crappy to men because they are men is cool and justified, as you're making it out to be.

You're acting as if feminism is some crusade against men. It's not - It's a social movement against the concept of the Patriarchy, the greater social impetus that thrusts unfair expectations towards both genders and hurts people on both sides of the fence. However, it is necessary to acknowledge that the "hurt", while not completely one sided, is very much skewed in one direction.

I would argue instead that it is a philosophical perspective. Marx-ism, Nhil-ism, Constructiv-ism, Femin-ism.

Otherwise I am in agreement with you. Semantics.

"A manu dei e tet rimon" - I am the devoted hand of the divine God.

Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#529 - 2015-02-11 10:42:56 UTC

So i'm a feminist because i 'm for equal rights? What does it mean equal rights in your opinion? By law i presume.

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#530 - 2015-02-11 10:45:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Not going to lie, I stopped reading right here. Go ahead and break out the Miriam Webster before you go off on another bigoted tangent like that.

If you didn't read my post, how can you call it a bigoted tangent?

I'd suggest you take another look at it, and if you still don't agree, research the origins and original usage of the term.

By the way, Merriam Webster literally agrees with me, so.

Merriam Webster wrote:
Sexism: unfair treatment of people because of their sex; especially : unfair treatment of women

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#531 - 2015-02-11 10:54:58 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

I'd suggest you take another look at it, and if you still don't agree, research the origins and original usage of the term.

I did take another look at it, since that's only fair.

And my conclusion is that you are an anti-masculine bigot.

Oh, and that you suck at selective quoting. Your own source literally contradicts you.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#532 - 2015-02-11 10:56:24 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

On what basis?
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#533 - 2015-02-11 10:59:34 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

On what basis?

This.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#534 - 2015-02-11 11:00:12 UTC
I wanted to go off on a rant about how feminism is the worst thing to have happened to men and families in the 90's. Feminism is politics. Why am I reading about that drivel on this forum? Lock please!
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#535 - 2015-02-11 11:02:03 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

bullshit
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#536 - 2015-02-11 11:03:36 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
I wanted to go off on a rant about how feminism is the worst thing to have happened to men and families in the 90's. Feminism is politics. Why am I reading about that drivel on this forum? Lock please!

Because what better way to endorse equality than by demonstrating a philosophy dedicated to the eradication of an entire gender identity?

I'm honestly guessing, because I'll never be capable of, nor willing to actually understand evil like they ascribe to.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#537 - 2015-02-11 11:06:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

On what basis?

This.

So you don't want to answer me. Great. I'll assume you're trolling.

For the record, I made a specific point of saying that I fully appreciate that men can, and often are, victims of social injustice on the basis of their men-ness, from both women and other men. And that that is profoundly not cool.

Also, on the off chance you don't know what the "Patriarchy" is as a social concept and think that I'm saying that masculinity is bad or harmful to society and needs to be removed, then I'll just make it clear: That's not what it means.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

bullshit

I'll repeat that I in no way said that men can't suffer from prejudice - The example you linked there is obviously awful. It's just not called "sexism", in the conventional sense of the term, in the same sense that racism isn't called racism when it's targetted at non-minorities even though it's still harmful and a bad thing to do - Because it's not describing a grand scale social phenomenon, but rather a specific instance of crappiness.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#538 - 2015-02-11 11:07:05 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

On what basis?

Discrimination based on sex is sexism. That's the only definition that matters. That discrimination can occur against both genders. If discrimination can occur based on someone being a man, then sexism against men exists. Since discrimination against men does occur, then sexism against men does exist. To deny it is ignorant and in itself another form of discrimination against men. You have to be extremely naive and/or wilfully ignorant to assert that sexism against men doesn't exist.

Gender biases exist all around, and they're always based on one thing and one thing only: expectations. Here's the thing, nobody, and I mean nobody, is required to conform to anybody else's expectations of them short of their social obligations to one another.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#539 - 2015-02-11 11:09:11 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

So you don't want to answer me.

I did answer you. I called you a bigot based on the post I linked, which is full of self contradictions, biased reasoning and faulty conclusions, all to serve solely to advance your narrative.

Quote:

I'll repeat that I in no way said that men can't suffer from prejudice. It's just not called "sexism", in the conventional sense of the term

Yes, it is. By the very definition you linked. You are not entitled to redefine the entire English language to suit your vile agenda. Unless that is you're admitting that feminism does not view males as people.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#540 - 2015-02-11 11:12:47 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

bullshit

I'll repeat that I in no way said that men can't suffer from prejudice - The example you linked there is obviously awful. It's just not called "sexism", in the conventional sense of the term, in the same sense that racism isn't called racism when it's targetted at non-minorities even though it's still harmful and a bad thing to do - Because it's not describing a grand scale social phenomenon, but rather a specific instance of crappiness.

its sexism .

if you cant tell that then get the **** off your soap box and go back to whatever echo chamber you came from