These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Column for Ship Class on Overlay Settings

Author
Pax Vherokior
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2011-12-19 17:52:23 UTC
Is it necessary to make rookies new to the game to memorize every single ship to know what they're able to engage and run away from, CCP? When I am in my little Rifter I know I can fight other little frigates but not big ships that blow me up in one hit.

Yes, the size of the square in the icon column should tell you the general ship size, but it doesn't tell you the class. T2 frigates, T3 BCs, etc. Lots of variation even within the same size.

I can't tell the difference between a Rifter and a Tornado because I am a bad pilot and a bad poster, but it'd be nice to make the game a little friendly in terms of obvious design.
Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2011-12-20 01:02:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Kolonko
Pax Vherokior wrote:
Is it necessary to make rookies new to the game to memorize every single ship to know what they're able to engage and run away from, CCP? When I am in my little Rifter I know I can fight other little frigates but not big ships that blow me up in one hit.

Yes, the size of the square in the icon column should tell you the general ship size, but it doesn't tell you the class. T2 frigates, T3 BCs, etc. Lots of variation even within the same size.

I can't tell the difference between a Rifter and a Tornado because I am a bad pilot and a bad poster, but it'd be nice to make the game a little friendly in terms of obvious design.

Agreed, just add shipclass to overview - for t1 it will be all Frigate, Crusier, etc...
For T2/3 it will be Assault Frigate, Command Ship, Strategic Cruiser, etc...

I see no point going into tiers as OP sugested with BC's (altough tier3 BC's are a class of their own :P)
Pax Vherokior
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-12-20 20:54:14 UTC
It is a little silly that everytime I see an uncommon ship I have to load up the page to see exactly what type it is
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#4 - 2011-12-20 23:56:57 UTC
I'll give it a +1. Mainly because different ships within the same size class can do very different things.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Evei Shard
Shard Industries
#5 - 2011-12-21 01:54:29 UTC
-1 Learn to memorize ship types.

Profit favors the prepared

Pax Vherokior
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2011-12-21 02:08:44 UTC
Yes because forcing new gamers to memorize ship types is fun and a good way to encourage people to subscribe
Misanthra
Alternative Enterprises
#7 - 2011-12-21 04:07:33 UTC
Pax Vherokior wrote:
Yes because forcing new gamers to memorize ship types is fun and a good way to encourage people to subscribe

if they have a pvp interest which this seems to be based on....yes it is. Knowing ship class doesn't mean much. Knowing the ship, its abilites and potential fittings of much more help. that comes with memorization.

OV saying worm is a frigate...and they jump it based on no ther intel or knowledge jsut not really helpful. First they'll wonder why it spitting out warrior II's so much. Then they'll wonder why its gettng better rocket range than they are with thier rifter's laucher.
Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-12-21 09:03:15 UTC
Misanthra wrote:
Pax Vherokior wrote:

if they have a pvp interest which this seems to be based on....yes it is. Knowing ship class doesn't mean much. Knowing the ship, its abilites and potential fittings of much more help. that comes with memorization.

OV saying worm is a frigate...and they jump it based on no ther intel or knowledge jsut not really helpful. First they'll wonder why it spitting out warrior II's so much. Then they'll wonder why its gettng better rocket range than they are with thier rifter's laucher.

It should be up to the player to decide if he want to have ship class displayed or not. And what to do with that information.

And having type displayed helps in process of memorizing ships. Its always easier to memorize something if You can add another label to its name.

As for faction ships You mentioned, there can also be another indicator for race.
Pax Vherokior
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2011-12-25 23:26:10 UTC
Misanthra wrote:
Pax Vherokior wrote:

What's to stop them from saying its a Faction frigate in particular, then? Eve is supposed to be PvP from the start of the game but to say players need to start memorizing wikis before they start any combat is absurd. And you still need ship knowledge for PvE to know what rats you can and cannot kill.