These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#461 - 2015-02-10 22:54:02 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Tons of women play EVE. Unfortunately it's not very many. <-Stolen from an Engineering joke.

Your trolling in this thread has been top class Rain. This one though. That's just asking for castration.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#462 - 2015-02-10 22:55:37 UTC
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#463 - 2015-02-11 00:10:35 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
Primary This Rifter wrote:
It's not women that aren't wanted. It's shrill harpies who come into a community and demand that it changes to be more inclusive of them that aren't wanted.

Actually someone remarked in comms once "You are not like other girl gamers I've come across who all seem to be wierdos, you're like a guy." I think he meant it as a compliment and I couldn't really reply other than a strangled howl. You seem to be saying girls should pretend not to be girls in EvE in order to be accepted - which is faintly hilarious given the size of your chest.

I'm not suggesting that at all. I know women who play EVE and I have no problem with them, because they don't make everything about them. When people join a group and start spouting identity politics, that's a problem.
Primary This Rifter
#464 - 2015-02-11 00:14:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Here's the thing you don't people don't seem to understand. If you don't like how a group is, leave. Find another one. Repeat. Men have to do it too. I did.
And I'd argue that you should start speaking on comms sooner rather than later, so you can judge people's reactions before you get too invested in staying.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#465 - 2015-02-11 00:14:18 UTC
I like to RP lesbian sex girl characters played by dudes, but I'm too embarrassed to do it with irl girl players.
Primary This Rifter
#466 - 2015-02-11 00:21:12 UTC
"You made an attractive female character, and that's ironic and hilarious for some reason."
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#467 - 2015-02-11 00:28:24 UTC
So a bunch of immature douche bags wonder why less women than men play a game designed for immature douche bags.

Does it really need to be asked? Are people really that dumb?

Mr Epeen Cool
Lupe Meza
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#468 - 2015-02-11 00:38:18 UTC
The secret to finding a progressive corp is comprised of people whose temperaments are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Y6LtILYiY

not so much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOWJ4rKb_g

You can find pretty much an accepting culture in EVE man, woman, white, green... whatever. You may not be in the "best" corp or worshiped by other nerds. But you don't have to come home and spend your free time with asshats either. You have to decide where your priorities lie.
Marsha Mallow
#469 - 2015-02-11 00:40:20 UTC
I'm not suggesting that at all. I know women who play EVE and I have no problem with them, because they don't make everything about them. When people join a group and start spouting identity politics, that's a problem.

Yes, I too have [insert minority] friends here, and I'm always nice to them. Until they start answering back, saying what they want and offending me with their complete disregard for my insecurities.

Here's the thing you don't people don't seem to understand. If you don't like how a group is, leave. Find another one. Repeat. Men have to do it too. I did.
And I'd argue that you should start speaking on comms sooner rather than later, so you can judge people's reactions before you get too invested in staying.

No, I'd rather stay and mock you. Maybe shoot your ships, nick your stuff. Call you names.

I've been playing for 7 years btw, not 5 minutes. People don't hassle me all that often anymore, although the first few years were unbelievably annoying. If anything it seemed a bit masochistic to work through it, but character building. Actually the last year has been amongst one of the most entertaining whilst I was largely inactive ingame and decided to start openly posting on the forums as a bird (it's like coming out of the closet). Some of the mailspam/convos which tie into that are are amongst the most pathetic I've ever seen. And I read Kugu for a year before subbing, which should indicate something.

It's not pleasant to see other people being hassled by imbeciles, and I'm a bit reluctant to tell them to leave given I'd prefer they didn't. If that makes me a shrill, strident, whingy harpy. GOOD. At least I have a sense of humour. And actual funbags.

Rain6637 wrote:
I like to RP lesbian sex girl characters played by dudes, but I'm too embarrassed to do it with irl girl players.

It'd be easy.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#470 - 2015-02-11 00:44:17 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

Tons of women play EVE. Unfortunately it's not very many. <-Stolen from an Engineering joke.

Haven't heard that one in a while, and it's just as funny as the first time I heard it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Jallukola
#471 - 2015-02-11 00:46:50 UTC
Lupe Meza wrote:
a progressive corp

Why would anyone want to associate oneself with the lowest common denominator?

All posts and mails screencapped and time stamped, including out of EVE, you will not reverse on me.

Might come in handy!

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#472 - 2015-02-11 00:53:33 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Notice the typical pattern of the serial liar.

When confronted, escalate to an extreme degree, and hope that it's so extreme that no one will call bullshit on the story. Bonus points if the excalation improves the liar's claim to victimhood.

You mean like your claim about getting doxxed?

Yeah I guess that was pretty extreme...

Oh, that's not even anything all that bad. Hell, I've gotten worse just for wearing an Army uniform in some places.

That said, if you wanted an example of an escalation style lie, that isn't the best. That particular tale of mine is relatively simple, and while it might engender sympathy, is told to explain my present point of view towards carebears, not merely to throw out a "me too!" story in a thread about digital minority groups.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Primary This Rifter
#473 - 2015-02-11 00:55:11 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
Yes, I too have [insert minority] friends here, and I'm always nice to them. Until they start answering back, saying what they want and offending me with their complete disregard for my insecurities.

Way to completely twist around what I said.
My point was that you can't join a group and demand they change for you. One, it doesn't work. Two, it calls even more attention to yourself. And three, it's arrogant to presume that you can demand that a standing group change for your benefit, as a newcomer.

Marsha Mallow wrote:
No, I'd rather stay and mock you. Maybe shoot your ships, nick your stuff. Call you names.

That works too.

Marsha Mallow wrote:
It's not pleasant to see other people being hassled by imbeciles, and I'm a bit reluctant to tell them to leave given I'd prefer they didn't. If that makes me a shrill, strident, whingy harpy. GOOD. At least I have a sense of humour. And actual funbags.

No, what makes you a shrill, whingy harpy is demanding that other people change their behavior instead of finding people who are ultimately going to be a better fit for you anyway.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#474 - 2015-02-11 00:58:36 UTC

No, what makes you a shrill, whingy harpy is demanding that other people change their behavior instead of finding people who are ultimately going to be a better fit for you anyway.

I'm going to save that quote and post it every time you do one of your shrill whiny posts demanding that other players cater to your personal vision of the game.

I sense I'll be using it a lot.

Mr Epeen Cool
Lupe Meza
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#475 - 2015-02-11 01:00:30 UTC
Jallukola wrote:
Lupe Meza wrote:
a progressive corp

Why would anyone want to associate oneself with the lowest common denominator?

It seems like you equate progressive with the lowest common denominator and I don't see the correlation, so don't understand the question.
Primary This Rifter
#476 - 2015-02-11 01:00:44 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I sense I'll be using it a lot.

Not without bastardizing the original meaning, as is your M.O.
Marsha Mallow
#477 - 2015-02-11 01:05:10 UTC
Way to completely twist around what I said.

Welcome to teh internet.

My point was that you can't join a group and demand they change for you. One, it doesn't work. Two, it calls even more attention to yourself. And three, it's arrogant to presume that you can demand that a standing group change for your benefit, as a newcomer.

I'm not a newcomer. As already stated. I'm not asking you to change, I quite like you being deranged. Makes me feel at home. Doesn't mean I can't remark that you're an imbecile, and enjoy watching you flail around.

You seem to think being a harpy is a bad thing. It's quite liberating. Especially when it generates this level of outrage.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Primary This Rifter
#478 - 2015-02-11 01:08:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
Ah yes, now she's claiming she was just trolling all this time. Chess with a pigeon.
Serene Repose
#479 - 2015-02-11 01:46:04 UTC
"You made an attractive female character, and that's ironic and hilarious for some reason."
O.O

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Sera Kor-Azor
Amarrian Mission of the Sacred Word
#480 - 2015-02-11 02:05:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Sera Kor-Azor
Firstly, how would you know whether a player was a female or not?

Secondly, why should it matter?

Thirdly, I remember the first day I joined Factional warfare. The word R-A-P-E was used quite frequently to describe defeat of one player by another. As a member of HER majesty's HOLY and righteous 'good guy' boy scout Militia, I took 'in character' offense to this. Predictably, I was laughed at.

So maybe, a female player has better things to do than listen to a bunch of teenaged boys blow up each other's pixel spaceships while listening to the word 'R-A-P-E' being tossed around in such a casual and dismissive manner.

Sexual assault, aka R-A-P-E, is never a comical thing. It is a hate crime perpetrated by low-life predators who use force against women (and sometimes men) who are in a vulnerable position. It should never be used to imply defeat or conquest. Even when used as a metaphor, the implications are meant to be a tragic and unjust use of force to cause great trauma and sorrow.

I did meet one woman who quit not only EVE, but online video games in general specifically for this reason, namely the casual misogyny. You get enough of it in the workplace as well as the streets, you don't need to pay $20 a month to hear it in your own home as well.

"A manu dei e tet rimon" - I am the devoted hand of the divine God.