These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[HOLY COW] Sleepers, Jovians, and the 'Other'

First post First post
Author
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#701 - 2015-02-09 17:51:01 UTC
Nami Kumamato wrote:
So the Drifter faction finally has a description :

"Emerging from the ruins of the Sleeper civilization spread throughout Anoikis - otherwise known as "W-space"- the Drifters represent a tremendous challenge and perhaps a dire threat to the empires and capsuleers alike.
Seemingly the inheritors of a legacy left behind by some of the most ancient Jove, the Drifters are unafraid to wield tremendous power in response to any who get in their way. In this regard, the Drifters are a very different conundrum than the relatively benign presence that was the Jove Empire."

Also their member corp - Vigilant Tyrannos (which seems to be their militant wing ) :

"CONCORD intelligence reports indicate that Drifter military formations are operating under a single command structure represented by an enclave level organization with the designation "Vigilant Tyrannos". Despite monitoring the movements of ships broadcasting the identifier of this organization, no further information as to the motivation or goals of this force has been gleaned."

So they are the the remnants of the Sleepers?...hmm...
Also their home station is in M-MD3B , deep within the Great Wildlands, Thukker Tribe territory...

A faction desc. an IDENT tag and a HQ.

This is going to be interesting.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#702 - 2015-02-09 17:58:39 UTC
Wonder if there's anything particularly interesting in that system right now....
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#703 - 2015-02-09 18:18:13 UTC
So if how I'm reading that is right.. these aren't actually sleepers, but rather another Jove Faction that's re-emerged, perhaps to work with the sleepers.. Sounds fun..

Now that they have a station, give them agents, and an LP store, and Drifter BS + Weapon BPC's :D
Sansh Leko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#704 - 2015-02-09 19:14:06 UTC
Please no, we have enough rats to shoot at at the moment just for the sake of LP and Blueprints/Modules.

I want to believe CCP will not go there with this one.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#705 - 2015-02-09 19:16:49 UTC
Sansh Leko wrote:
Please no, we have enough rats to shoot at at the moment just for the sake of LP and Blueprints/Modules.

You just watch as the Drifters engage Sansha incursions and pop Motherships left and right.
Herzog Wolfhammer
#706 - 2015-02-09 20:48:22 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Sansh Leko wrote:

You just watch as the Drifters engage Sansha incursions and pop Motherships left and right.

I think the point is more around "oh look, more grind min/maxer content".

It's still a little disappointing that there are no live events to "herald" this new content which in the scope of things is actually quite epic. This is being introduced in a rather hum drum way. Imagine for example we moved the Superbowl to December 25th and on the 23rd an alien race comes to earth and it's not even covered much on the news.
And then... the alien race's biggest import is simply more aliens and all we get is another "press number for language" recording on the phone when calling services and maybe a new restaurant style for the trendies to spend their trust fund money at.

In other words, a buzz kill.

On the other hand, the Sansha live events left too much expectation. All of that player involvement built around the live events fell over in a heap the day the incursions became "just more content to grind for ISK on". So may CCP is not playing it up because they know the RP/Lore crowd is going to discover that the whiskey was watered down again.
(I don't think it's their fault: a video game has limitations on what it can deliver no matter what you do).

If this is simply "more content", by bittervet gland tells me that yeah, more grind, more min-maxers complaining that they "did it all" 2 weeks later and are bored, more watching Drifter BSs in the hands of players as they..... do combat sites in highsec (exactly what you will see Guristas ships doing) because they are flying a gank magnet and outside of highsec, entire gate camps full of them for the insta blap (as usual).

At least the storyline and lore is good. As for what goes on in the game all boiling down to "muh ISK/stats" and aspergian min-maxing. then meh. I'm hoping there is a new novel like a followup to Templar One more so than what this new content means to me. The book I'll enjoy more.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Allant Doran
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#707 - 2015-02-09 22:12:36 UTC
For me, the min/maxing thing has NEVER been something I've taken much part in. I've always done what I wanted in EVE for the fun of it and nothing more.

I will still go and see these battleships and I will still want to have a crack at them myself, for fun's sake. I'm hoping that the next few expansions in the coming months continue THIS as their path to new content and stories, though, as the EVE lore is amazing.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#708 - 2015-02-09 22:40:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Soldarius
Sansh Leko wrote:

m8, Thukker LP store sucks ass. Worst in game. Th only thing worth getting there are Mid-Grade Nomad implants, and you can get those from hisec LP stores anyway.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/M-MD3B

Hi. The 99 Percent lives in N-DQ. Senex Legio lives in M-M. Hashashin Cartel lives in E02. All GWL stations are owned by either Thukker Mix or Trust Partners, members of the Thukker Tribe. So unless GWL is about to change hands, I don't think you will be finding any Jove agents there.

Doesn't mean CCP can't add them somehow.

btw, the nulsec level 4 security agents are both in N-DQ.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#709 - 2015-02-09 23:05:33 UTC
It just occurred to me that the number of drifter spawns might coincide with the number of ships that shot at the first drifter. So basically, however many ships are shooting at drifters will be blap'd. I'm in class right now but I'm going to test this again tonight. I think the answer to this superweapon is drones, and letting one take the heat off the player's ship. I think this is a new nuance to the AI, due to the one-shot nature of the superweapon. Unless the AI is changed to account for the boom.
Sansh Leko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#710 - 2015-02-09 23:42:37 UTC
Yea, you guys are right.

I jumped directly on "new faction, 2 weeks of pew pew and stuff then everything back to normal".

Like Allant Doran said, I also hope for more Lore/Storyline through next months from this.

And Herzog Wolfhammer summed up perfectly what probably most of us dont want to happen.

Anyway from the begining with new Star, now Unidentified Structures,Wormholes and Seekers/Drifters this cant end

with a meh content Smile There has to be more to this, something very good because EVE lore is epic.

Someone asked if there is anything interesting in that system where they have the headquarters on SISI.

I went there as soon as I saw it mentioned on forums, no Unidentified Structures/Wormholes or anything unusuall yet.
Herzog Wolfhammer
#711 - 2015-02-10 00:02:14 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
It just occurred to me that the number of drifter spawns might coincide with the number of ships that shot at the first drifter. So basically, however many ships are shooting at drifters will be blap'd. I'm in class right now but I'm going to test this again tonight. I think the answer to this superweapon is drones, and letting one take the heat off the player's ship. I think this is a new nuance to the AI, due to the one-shot nature of the superweapon. Unless the AI is changed to account for the boom.

If I recall right, from a player named Arcdragon from years ago (2009 - 2010) sleeper sites in WH space would spawn "per the threat" meaning if you land on a site with a dread you'll get way more than if you showed up in a cruiser or BC. Of course the class of WH also meant something in this equation.

I don't know if that mechanic ever changed or if that was entirely true, nor the "math" of it at this point. But it would be good for the AI if reinforcements were based on threat level. It would certainly prevent farming them.

I wonder how many the goons can spawn if they had a whole fleet pick a fight?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Allant Doran
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#712 - 2015-02-10 00:09:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Allant Doran
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:

If I recall right, from a player named Arcdragon from years ago (2009 - 2010) sleeper sites in WH space would spawn "per the threat" meaning if you land on a site with a dread you'll get way more than if you showed up in a cruiser or BC. Of course the class of WH also meant something in this equation.

I don't know if that mechanic ever changed or if that was entirely true, nor the "math" of it at this point. But it would be good for the AI if reinforcements were based on threat level. It would certainly prevent farming them.

I wonder how many the goons can spawn if they had a whole fleet pick a fight?

My experience with Wormholes is that you can escalate WH sites. They will have x - number sleepers, which you can defeat to win the site after a couple waves.

However, bringing in Capitals, up to 4 caps in our case, generates additional large spawns. The site is only compelte after we have our fleet + 2 Carriers and 2 Dreads on field.

The same might be the case for Drifters.

EDIT: The fact that Drifters have a HQ in K-space also makes me wonder if these Drifters really are the ''Little Brother'' returning home. After all, they've set up a home here, and we sure as hell aren't welcoming them.
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#713 - 2015-02-10 01:07:30 UTC
Quote:
27. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued to the off-topic poster.

I have removed a couple off-topic posts.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#714 - 2015-02-10 01:20:18 UTC
I'll confirm that's more or less how capital escalations work, but man is that old news.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you could also keep the Drifter jammed until it dies, never allowing it to fire. Or, keep it damped down to arm's reach.

The only problem with using EWAR is the fact that Drifters seem to break all locks at the end of its blue shield layer. Depending on its scan res, you might be able to land EWAR before it gets a lock on anyone. If it orbits at 17km, that's what, three, maybe four Recon damps.
Lachesiss
Perkone
Caldari State
#715 - 2015-02-10 07:09:33 UTC
Can anyone advise if hey have seen a drifter BS in Tierjev?. I sat there pounding all the sleepers but one didn't pop up Cry. Guess they don't like Vindicators.

On the third day after your birth myself and my sister's will come to you and decide your fate.

Jove Eden
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#716 - 2015-02-10 08:09:40 UTC
Can anyone recommend a good video capture tool which maybe better than Frapps or is that the only one?. I thinking of using twitch to capture the start to finish of a fight on sisi.

Couple of other things if anyone can help aswell.

With regards to the Drifters and sleepers chasing people around will they also do this through acceleration gates?. I would like to know if these things did chase people around we could actually drag them into a Sansha spawn.

With the drifter breaking locks was this only 1 ewar or more at the time of the lock break?.

Esnaelc Sin'led
Lonesome Capsuleer
#717 - 2015-02-10 08:34:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Esnaelc Sin'led
Jove Eden wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video capture tool which maybe better than Frapps or is that the only one?. I thinking of using twitch to capture the start to finish of a fight on sisi.

Couple of other things if anyone can help aswell.

With regards to the Drifters and sleepers chasing people around will they also do this through acceleration gates?. I would like to know if these things did chase people around we could actually drag them into a Sansha spawn.

With the drifter breaking locks was this only 1 ewar or more at the time of the lock break?.

If you got nVidia gfx card, use ShadowPlay. Really good capturing with mp4 encoding.
I think ATI got the same kind of capturing software, but may be still in 'beta' mode, not sure.
Nami Kumamato
Perkone
Caldari State
#718 - 2015-02-10 09:21:44 UTC
I hope they start taking SOV and then there's a general call to arms in order to stop the spreading influence of the Drifters :D
That would shake Null and SOV warfare a bit :D

Fornicate The Constabulary !

Nami Kumamato
Perkone
Caldari State
#719 - 2015-02-10 09:43:03 UTC
Drifter description :
"By all appearances and indications the Drifters are members of the Jove race, albeit far removed and with a strangely altered physiology. The high degree of cybernetic modification that the Drifters exhibit seems to go hand in hand with an implacable single-mindedness and utter ruthlessness while pursuing their mysterious goals. Whatever their ends may be, the technology at their command unquestionably rivals and perhaps even surpasses that which other Jove have been seen to use."

We' re f*&&ed....

Fornicate The Constabulary !

VTyx Soul
Station Window Lickers
#720 - 2015-02-10 10:13:54 UTC
Nami Kumamato wrote:
Drifter description :
"By all appearances and indications the Drifters are members of the Jove race, albeit far removed and with a strangely altered physiology. The high degree of cybernetic modification that the Drifters exhibit seems to go hand in hand with an implacable single-mindedness and utter ruthlessness while pursuing their mysterious goals. Whatever their ends may be, the technology at their command unquestionably rivals and perhaps even surpasses that which other Jove have been seen to use."

We' re f*&&ed....

Perhaps they are controlled by the other?