These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bishops condemn marrying heretics to convert them

Author
Lunarisse Aspenstar
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#41 - 2015-02-09 17:23:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Lunarisse Aspenstar
I would respectfully suggest that, if the nuptials are undertaken in a pious and spiritually informed manner with an Orthodox spiritual guide and clergyperson, there are many ways to bring about the Reclamation.

"We need to save them, all of them, from themselves. We need to reclaim their fates and envelop them in ours. And we need to love them, no matter how much it hurts..... All these wayward children." - Her Holy Majesty Empress Jamyl
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#42 - 2015-02-09 18:14:08 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Luna Hanaya wrote:
I don't know, I would be afraid to marry a heretic.

Love, can be much stronger than fear, it also seems much less controllable.

It all makes me wonder if I am a heretic, infidel, or upstanding privateer doing the will of the Empress..

... or just a sellout with no ideals whatsoever?
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#43 - 2015-02-09 19:16:56 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Luna Hanaya wrote:

It all makes me wonder if I am a heretic, infidel, or upstanding privateer doing the will of the Empress..

Now, now Samira already cleared up for me my lack of faith makes me an apostate. I did at least at a certain point try and be faithful, I mean I said the right stuff for a bit I just didn't believe it. Also I certainly have ideals, had I not there would have been no reason to surround myself with the people I do, or think the things I do. Something tells me if I had no ideals I would pretend to be faithful like I did as a child and maybe my parents would talk to me again.

In any case, I suspect it wouldn't do me much good to look at the faithful as potential romantic partners; and that is too bad I really feel we aren't that dissimilar.
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#44 - 2015-02-09 20:11:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Ashlar Vellum
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Luna Hanaya wrote:

Now, now Samira already cleared up for me my lack of faith makes me an apostate. I did at least at a certain point try and be faithful, I mean I said the right stuff for a bit I just didn't believe it. Also I certainly have ideals, had I not there would have been no reason to surround myself with the people I do, or think the things I do. Something tells me if I had no ideals I would pretend to be faithful like I did as a child and maybe my parents would talk to me again.

In any case, I suspect it wouldn't do me much good to look at the faithful as potential romantic partners; and that is too bad I really feel we aren't that dissimilar.

So you had a crisis of faith, chose to abandon everything and everyone who cared about you and run. That just makes you weak of spirit and mind, also extremely selfish.

btw what are those ideals you are talking about, are they centered around ISK?
Albizu Zateki
Doomheim
#45 - 2015-02-09 21:51:02 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:

Mr. Zateki,

Firstly, I am not a Holder. Please do not insult proper Holders by calling me Lady.

Secondly, there's a great difference between spreading His Word to the non-believers, and allowing the word of the non-believers to be spread to us.

Amarr is the empire of God, and our chief export is the Faith. The only things we can afford to import from the other empires are redeemed souls and certain physical goods. Foreign culture on the other hand is something that should never be allowed into Amarr, lest we risk the ruin of the only bastion of God in this universe.

Thirdly, I do not see what you find wrong in the original post. While Gutter Press articles are usually shoddy, this one is quite appropriate. The faithful should not be marrying heretics. Heretics are criminals under Amarr law and deserve only repudiation. And any such sacrilegious union more often leads to the ruin of the faithful rather than the redemption of the heretic, as observed in the many capsuleer examples over the years.

I understand you may take offense to this, seeing as you seem to claim loyalty to the Blood Raider Covenant rather than Amarr according to your choice of dress, and thus would be the heretic to whom the faithful should be avoiding marriage.

Miss Kernher,

Apologies for the misused honorific. Do you prefer Miss or would your military rank suit you better?

You are correct in that we must be ever wary of the influences of non-believers. I am confused though how you can say this and yet support a source like Gutter Press. It seems to me that they are exactly the type of influence that all Amarr should avoid. Do they carry more weight here than the Council?

Again, in a perfect universe, we would only import from the other races, that which we would find pure and appropriate. Again too, God has not given us such a Universe. The reality of the universe we do live in, exposes us to a great amount of foreign ideas and ideals. What is better? Do we allow them to continue corrupt our people, or do we adapt the better portion, the most Amarr portions (in line with Scripture and approved by the Council, of course)?

Is there room in our faith for such growth? Do we and the Council have the ability to re-define what we label as "heretic?"

I do not know.

I do not take offense to your words. You can't help being what you are. But as it would be improper for me to address you as "Lady" it is probably just as inappropriate for you to make an assumption on the faith of any True Amarr. For the record, I am currently employed by Hedion University. My standings within the Empire are above reproach. My current line of research is on the history of the Sani Sabik offshoot of our faith and how it progressed from then to what the "cult" currently is. I suppose I could explain to you the significance of the jacket. But I won't. I will tell you that I have found many differences between the Sani Sabik and Omir Sarikusa's Blood Raiders. I don't suppose this is common knowledge for someone of your standing and profession. Still, perhaps you should ask your Holder before blithely throwing around accusations in a public forum.

"The Wrath of God is Immense. His Justice is Swift and Decisive. His Tolerance is Limited.
Be Careful. Pure Thought is the Instigator of Sin.
Be Watchful. Free Thought is the Begetter of Disorder.
Be Respectful. Uniform Thought is the Way of Life.
The Mercy of our Emperor is Limitless. His Rule is Benign and Righteous. His Love is Perpetual."
- The Scriptures, Book I, The Code of Demeanor

"Bloody Omir's coming back. Monsters from the endless black. Wading through a crimson flood, Omir's come to drink your blood."

Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#46 - 2015-02-09 22:13:49 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
...Ms Mithra, I don't mean to be rude, but...

If you don't mean to be rude, you don't have to start like that. Just don't be.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
I didn't put much detail into it.

Indeed you put little detail into it. Instead of giving any details whatsoever, you simply claimed that "In the long run, albeit likely the very long run, that is going to start to create problems for the Amarrian system and the pressure peoples families are able to exert on willful individuals who don't want to follow the rules."

What is the basis for that claim? You can neither demonstrate that Amarrians indeed find the idea of getting married in the Federation interesting, nor can you show that it is a trend at all, other than saying 'it will happen because it can'. Thell you what, that is the same as claiming that the federates will all turn to the Amarrian faith and adopt the marriage customs of it, because they can. You make big claims for what little substance you provide.

The point here is, for the rather big claim you make, you put by far too little details into your post. Yes.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
I'm aware that it is difficult to immigrate between countries (Though I will comment that the Federation has a well-known mostly-open immigration policy, and that your statement is the first I have heard of the Empire actually restricting the movement of commoners. Could you supply me with a source on that, to feed my academic curiosity?) for both financial and cultural reasons, and that there are a vast range of circumstances that could make it extremely difficult in a case-by-case basis. I'm also aware that the whole affair would likely lead to a lot of social ostracization from ones former peers, and that they certainly wouldn't be going back to the Empire unless their families were of a very tolerant breed. I apologize for not expressing this clearly.

Well, over here in the Empire we have passports. I was under the impression that is also true for the Federation? How does the federation handle travel of their citizens to one of the other three nations? Don't tell me that in the Federation - which kind'a likes bureaucracy, too - you don't need to get a passport first? And that you don't need to make application for the travel documents? Also, last time I checked, there was a need to acquire a visa to enter the Federation from the Empire and vice versa, the relations aren't exactly cheery, after all. And if you are petitioning for asylum, you need to get into the Federation first, somehow. It's not so much 'restricting' the movement of commoners, but simple border control - something that happens, I assume, in all civilized nations.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
However, I will remind you that I was talking about something taking place over the course of hundreds upon hundreds of years. The people doing as I described right now are probably not the most "well-educated" conformist, rational thinkers in the regard that you seem to be talking about, but rather are likely young, lovestruck and full of resentment to a culture that is not, in the most base of terms, giving them what they want. You're right that they are likely extremely anomalous, but I never suggested they were the end, but rather the beginning. It does not matter that what they are doing is not easy, or even sensible. What matters is that it is possible. People can walk entirely away from the Amarrian marital system and not become outlaws.

Again, cultural change is something that happens extremely slowly - Imagine water sputtering through a crack in a dam. These people are not the surging water blasting through the dams walls and leaving it as a shattered ruin; They are the tiny drops leaking through the system one by one, ever so slowly giving way to more drops at an increasing speed and enlarging the crack. They are people who are going against tradition ever so slightly one at a time, subverting it's legitimacy at a grassroots level, until one day it will have changed just a little bit without anyone even noticing.

How do you think Gallentia went from a conservative feudal society to a hyper-liberal democracy? It certainly wasn't because they all decided one day that all their conventions were a waste of time on the spur of the moment. No tradition is invincible. Tolerated anamolies (assuming they don't stop being tolerated, as miss Kernher is suggesting) tend to give way to normalization, which gives way, in time, to change. That's more or less sociological fact.

Well, that sounds mostly like you read it from a schoolbook for managing a Holdership: Generational Slavery 101. Safe for the part on Gallentia. I'm Amarr, we think in big time frames. If any culture has working experience with engineering social change, it's Amarr. Generational slavery, after all, is about that.

But let us see what you have to say. First, again, just because something is possible, it doesn't follow that it does happen, nor even that it is likely happening - as you imply. Of all the arguments you could have possibly made for there being a drive towards marriages in the Federation, you - for example - choose to make one of the weakest, instead of the strongest possible one.
Again: You didn't even give numbers for the 'people doing as you described'. You didn't even make the attempt to show that it's not only possible, but likely.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#47 - 2015-02-09 22:14:35 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
I don't think the Amarrian marital tradition is doomed, or anything so dramatic. But I do think it's suffered the first dozen of it's thousand cuts.

Again you ignore a lot of factors. Maybe there are those people you speak of (actually, the chance is rather big, given the number of people in the Empire): But what is the probability that this number is anything like 'the first dozen of of it's thousand cuts'? Rather slim. It's more like the first three of a billion. And the thing with cuts is: They heal. So, does the leakage really make an impact? Cultural institutions are resistant to change, the entire avalanche system you envision only gets to roll, if the threshold that can be sustained is superceded. And last: The trickle back, the people that take up the Amarrian marital tradition. I mean, that is basic reaction kinetics: First you need to put in enough energy to get the reaction going and then you need to have the forward reaction to be proceeding at a higher rate than the reverse reaction, with which you probably have to deal.

Your idea that you can take the history of the Federation - or your interpretation of that history - and how it changed and simply apply that to the Empire is not only wrong, but shows your lack of attention to detail - which seems to be a recurring theme. If you look into Amarrian history then you will find that Amarr culture and society are quite different from the Gallentean and that they are especially different from the feudal Gallentia of history in dealing with influences from the outside as well as internal change. Amarr resisted successfully the very real pressure the contact with the Udorians put it under. A pressure that was much bigger, actually, then the one the Federation puts the Empire under nowadys. So, save for your argument to the possibility, there are no reasons to assume the change you predict will happen. To the contrary: Everything we know about the Empire shows that it might very well be possible, but highly unlikely.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
The rest of your post is, if I may speak bluntly, coloured by imperiocentricism to the point that I am not really sure how to respond without a lecture. (I could remark on quite a lot about your assertion that marriage has been "reduced to a husk" in the Federation, to the say the least.) Regardless, I will speak my personal opinion, which is that family centric arranged marriages, for all their virtues, tend to foster tribalism and nepotism to unpleasant degrees. Not to mention putting people in some very unhappy positions.

As to my assertion that "marriage has been 'reduced to a husk' in the Federation", I'd like to make you aware that I qualified that first by saying 'over large swathes of Federation culture' and also added the caveat that "The Federation is quite diverse and there are members of the Federation in and for which, family and marriage hasn't lost their social meaning." Also, it's not like 'triablism and nepotism' don't happen in the Federation either. I'm sure if we look at any influential person in the Federation, we have a high probability that they ended up where they are because their parents were able to pay for the best education and because they knew the right people, were married to the right people, et cetera. After all, people in the Federation are free to do it that way, and those that do end up more successful, usually. So, denying the realities of human nature doesn't solve the problems you point out: Rather it makes them worse by blinding a lot of people for the realities. In the Empire there are written and unwritten rules to assure that problems that might result from marriages are alleviated: In the Federation where there is the assumption that people 'marry out of love' there also is the idea that there is no need to manage any problems that may result from marriages (because those arise only if people have other reasons for marriage, no?) and to the dissolution of the support network which the extended family offered.

That said, I'm quite centered on the Empire in questions of whether foreign practices will likely spread to the Empire. I think it's a question best answered from that perspective. By contrast, your approach of trying to answer that question by looking at the Federation to make seems to be the wrong perspective to take. If I were to answer questions of the Federation, I surely would try to get into the shoes of the federation, to answer those questions with an perspective of the Federation's past and cultural peculiarities. That is why I'd beg to differ: I might take an imperiocentric stance on this, but that's not imperiocentrism. You seem much closer to an "-ism" with your projection of federal history on the Empire. So, maybe you start with lecturing yourself? Or is only imperiocentrim bad and foederocentrism is a good thing?
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#48 - 2015-02-09 22:20:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Albizu Zateki wrote:
Miss Kernher,

Apologies for the misused honorific. Do you prefer Miss or would your military rank suit you better?

You may use whichever you prefer.

Quote:
You are correct in that we must be ever wary of the influences of non-believers. I am confused though how you can say this and yet support a source like Gutter Press. It seems to me that they are exactly the type of influence that all Amarr should avoid. Do they carry more weight here than the Council?

I did not say I support Gutter Press. I said I saw nothing wrong with this article. "Bishops condemn marrying heretics to convert them", and astronomers confirm that stars are hot. My personal opinion regarding Gutter Press (which is usually quite negative) is irrelevant if they state something that is common knowledge.

Quote:
Again, in a perfect universe, we would only import from the other races, that which we would find pure and appropriate. Again too, God has not given us such a Universe. The reality of the universe we do live in, exposes us to a great amount of foreign ideas and ideals. What is better? Do we allow them to continue corrupt our people, or do we adapt the better portion, the most Amarr portions (in line with Scripture and approved by the Council, of course)?

Is there room in our faith for such growth? Do we and the Council have the ability to re-define what we label as "heretic?"

The universe is not perfect. But it is the Destiny of Faith to make it perfect. We do not accomplish that by allowing foreign influences to taint our culture. We can and should engage in dialogue with the rest of the cluster, this I don't deny, but we must do so sensibly, with proper restrictions in place to limit what comes in and goes out. We once had this kind of arrangement, but it's been diminished greatly in the last few decades.

As for the definition of heretic: any member of the faith that abandons orthodox teachings and embraces practices and beliefs declared crimes against God. This can and does get re-defined, at the behest of the Privy and Theology Councils. Most recently in the case of the Khanid Kingdom.

Quote:
I do not take offense to your words. You can't help being what you are. But as it would be improper for me to address you as "Lady" it is probably just as inappropriate for you to make an assumption on the faith of any True Amarr. For the record, I am currently employed by Hedion University. My standings within the Empire are above reproach. My current line of research is on the history of the Sani Sabik offshoot of our faith and how it progressed from then to what the "cult" currently is. I suppose I could explain to you the significance of the jacket. But I won't. I will tell you that I have found many differences between the Sani Sabik and Omir Sarikusa's Blood Raiders. I don't suppose this is common knowledge for someone of your standing and profession.

I apologize if I have assumed incorrectly.

As for the differences, that is common knowledge. It is also common knowledge that the distinction matters none as both are heretics and criminals under Amarrian law. Whether Sabik or Blood Raider, neither deserve clemency.

Quote:
Still, perhaps you should ask your Holder before blithely throwing around accusations in a public forum.

And perhaps you should not publically bear the symbols of Amarr's enemies if you do not wish to be associated with them.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#49 - 2015-02-09 23:12:42 UTC
As to the "love and marriage" issue, I think one should be aware that 'love' is used to mean a couple of things, which, though they might have certain things in common, can be quite different.

Usually, I feel, that those people who just want to get quickly married, no matter what, are still under that impression when one meets someone new. They are exciting, there are still the butterflies in one's tummy, it is romantic - or maybe even more exact: erotic - love. This passionate love which we feel as something like an outside force is sensual desire and longing. Oftentimes, it is not easy to distiguish from lust - if that distinction is still made at all. All this is not to say that erotic love is a bad thing, but it is indeed the kind of love that can move us to the noble as well as atrocious acts, unless it is tempered by wisdom. That wisdom allows us to listen to erotic love and use it as a guide to discover the beauty in the things we are so affected with. But I'd claim that erotic love alone isn't sufficient to build a lasting relationship on, much less, in my opinion, a marriage: Especially if we lack the wisdom to temper this form of love with.

But there are other forms of love. A faithful's love for God is usually not of the erotic type - or at least not of that type alone, as one can be in erotic love with God in so far as one can be enarmoured with His beauty, which, though isn't perceptible by the senses. Rather than the physical kind of affection, the faithful aims to feel a pure, non-physical attraction to God, because there is the awareness that God is the Good. And as we aim for the Good because it is the Good, there are no external conditions to this: in that sense the love of God, which a faithful aims for, is unconditional. Ideally, this extends to ones spouse, as the married are united in God, the one true and only Uniter and Unity, through the divine spark within them. And that actually extends to all humankind - remember the first sign: God become man.

Of course, this is quite the high aim, and there is yet another form of love. (And arguably even further ones, which I skip for the sake of briefness, as they don't play much role for the matter at hand.) A dispassionate virtuous love, which aims for the mutual good is the kind of love that properly belongs to the marriage. And true mutual benefit lies in being good for one another. This 'being good' is not to be understood as conferring material benefits, but by being a good influence on one anothers character, ones ethical makeup, or by enabling us in some other way to live righteous lives. And if I say 'dispassionate' then that's not because this love isn't deeply felt, but because it is not revolving around a feeling, but around the mutual good.

So, pragmatically, the most important type of love is the one that aims at the mutual good and it, rather than erotic love, is the one that should be the foundation of marriage. It is the type of love that makes up the glue of society: From the family, to friends, in business contracts up to the entirety of the society it is - in differing intensity - what makes us stick together and form a community, rather than a [i]mere[i] society that sticks together only for utility. But that kind of love doesn't rush anyone into a marriage. Rather, it knows that it is enduring and that it has time and as the lovers aim at the mutual good, it is willing to make time to pursue this common good. As such it is what makes a marriage work as an enduring partnership to master life, together.

Still, there is the aspect to marriage in Amarr, that it is a unification in God. Thus, I think it is clear that heretics - who can't really be unified in God with whomever - can't really enter a marriage by Amarrian law. Yet, they shouldn't be just written off. Nor should faithful that found a heretic that is capable of love that aims at the common good flee to foreign marriage ceremonies. If the love between the two is truely one of mutul benefit aiming at the common good, then the heretic will naturally come to see the error of his ways, repent and then - if God wills - join into marriage reclaimed as a faithful.
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#50 - 2015-02-09 23:21:06 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
As for the definition of heretic: any member of the faith that abandons orthodox teachings and embraces practices and beliefs declared crimes against God. This can and does get re-defined, at the behest of the Privy and Theology Councils. Most recently in the case of the Khanid Kingdom.

Actually, a heretic doesn't need to abandon orthodoxy. For example someone born and raised as a Bloodraider would be a heretic, without having abandoned orthodoxy, for the fact that they never were part of orthodoxy. Basically, a heretic is everyone who belongs to a cult that descends from the Amarrian church, but which deviated from the core dogmas and doctrines so far that it falls outside of heterodoxy, because it not only takes different positions on debatable points, but espouses manifest falsehoods.

Heathens are usually differentiated from that in that their cult never was part of the church to begin with.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#51 - 2015-02-09 23:27:48 UTC
Well, even if they themselves weren't, the beliefs they follow are.

What you say is essentially what I meant, and I apologize if I was unclear in my own writing.
Kale Silence
Doomheim
#52 - 2015-02-10 00:10:39 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Well, that sounds um, better maybe than heretic, I guess. I really hadn't been called that one, so I don't really know if it is bad or not.

Samira Kernher wrote:
It's worse. At least a heretic still believes in God, even if they reject His true Word, and at least an infidel is justified in their faithlessness by the ignorance of their upbringing.

An apostate, however, is guilty of the original sin. An apostate has known God, and chosen to reject Him.

"The gates of paradise will open for you one time only; woe to the soul who dares to knock twice."
-Missions 5:14

I have a question. I'm a heathfidel and I don't really give a **** about gods or whatever outside of Matari culture. Even then not so much.

Anyway, this comment confuses me. It sounds like you just said that a heretic is not as bad as an apostate, which goes against literally everything I've ever heard or seen with the amarr empire.

Now, I could just be an ignorant heathfidel or whatever bull**** you think of me as, but from what I can tell about the Amarr religion, that kinda sounds like you messed up in your wording.

See, isn't the word "heretic" meaning "one who rejects the true faith" pure and simple? Regardless of what they do after?

It seems to me the only difference between a heretic and an apostate is that one finds a new religion after?

Because if that's not the case, then why the **** would the Amarr empire be so damn hateful against the so called "heretics"? You never hear anything on the galnet about how the Amarr are hunting down the dreaded apostates, but you can bet your ass that "heretics" seem to make you golden types froth at the mouth and band together to hunt them down like a cancer.

If Apostates are worse, you'd think we'd hear more about them. It just sounds like they fall into the same category with a slightly different twist.

Another thing that confuses me was the "at least" you had in there.

Samira Kernher wrote:
At least a heretic still believes in God, even if they reject His true Word.

Honestly, if they still believe in God, and that's worthy of an "at least", who are you to say your version is better? You just made it sound like they are on a slightly lower level than the Amarr religion.

Which, if I understand correctly, saying something like that would **** off the Theology council a bit, I would think.

Seriously, inconsistency much?

EDIT: After seeing this comment I edited mine Roll

Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:

Actually, a heretic doesn't need to abandon orthodoxy. For example someone born and raised as a Bloodraider would be a heretic, without having abandoned orthodoxy, for the fact that they never were part of orthodoxy. Basically, a heretic is everyone who belongs to a cult that descends from the Amarrian church, but which deviated from the core dogmas and doctrines so far that it falls outside of heterodoxy, because it not only takes different positions on debatable points, but espouses manifest falsehoods.

Heathens are usually differentiated from that in that their cult never was part of the church to begin with.

Seems to me that the categories go heretic/apostate, heathen/infidel.

Just different words to encompass slight differences. Just like Brutor and sebbie are different, but they both fall under the same category of "Minmatar". Or, to bring it back, "Heathen". Cool
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#53 - 2015-02-10 00:34:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Kale Silence wrote:
See, isn't the word "heretic" meaning "one who rejects the true faith" pure and simple? Regardless of what they do after?

No. You should look at a dictionary.

A heretic is, as defined by a dictionary, "a professed believer who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church or rejects doctrines prescribed by that church."

Heresy is an offshoot of the religion that is declared non-canonical by the orthodoxy. It is still part of that religion, if a criminal part.

Apostasy, meanwhile, is rejecting the entire religion outright. An apostate is someone who, "forsakes his religion, cause, party, etc."

Quote:
Because if that's not the case, then why the **** would the Amarr empire be so damn hateful against the so called "heretics"? You never hear anything on the galnet about how the Amarr are hunting down the dreaded apostates, but you can bet your ass that "heretics" seem to make you golden types froth at the mouth and band together to hunt them down like a cancer.

Because the common person doesn't understand the linguistic difference in the words and uses the word heretic arbitrarily even when it is not the appropriate term to use.

Blood Raiders and Sani Sabik are heretics. Equilibrium of Mankind are heretics. The Reformed church in the Federation are heretics. The Khanid church used to be defined as heretics though are today regarded as heterodox. The key unifying element of all of these is that they are criminal offshoots of the Amarrian religion. They still believe in a form of God, but they have twisted it into something false. Heresy can be of varying degrees of severity, and result in varying kinds of punishment: from simple repudiation and penance, to exile, to execution, and finally to striking from the Book of Records. It is also true that a large amount of Amarrian crimes heard about on public media are cases of heresy, because every citizen of Amarr is a member of the faith and so any crime or belief they commit that is at variance with doctrine could be charged as heresy. Heresy is thus a very common accusation against other Amarr.

Matari spiritualists are heathens, or infidels, or simly faithless or nonbelievers. As are Caldari Wayists, and Intaki. As is any foreigner really, regardless of whether they follow a religion or not. The unifying element here is that they do not practice the Amarr religion in any form. Any religion they follow, if they follow one at all, has never had anything to do with Amarr.

An apostate is someone who was brought up in or chose to accept the Amarr religion, but then later chooses to reject it wholesale. It is the crime of the original ancestors of every non-Amarr race, when they turned from God and forever tainted their descendants. It is the sin that the Reclaiming was begun to correct. A former Amarr who chooses to become an atheist is an apostate. A former Amarr who chooses to embrace the Caldari Way or Matari spiritualism is an apostate. It is the rejection by a former believer of not only the teachings of God, but of God Himself. Accepting God but rejecting the teachings is heresy, rejecting God Himself is apostasy. How can there be any greater crime than that? As said in Scripture:

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin."
- Missions 13:21

If I were to become a blood raider, I would be a heretic. If I rejected Amarr religion entirely and took up Matari spiritualism, I would be an apostate. In that case I could also be considered a heathen, due to practicing a non-Amarr religion, but the bigger crime would be the apostasy because I would have known God but chosen not to follow Him.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#54 - 2015-02-10 02:22:02 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

So you had a crisis of faith, chose to abandon everything and everyone who cared about you and run. That just makes you weak of spirit and mind, also extremely selfish.

btw what are those ideals you are talking about, are they centered around ISK?

If my former friends from the Mandate, or even my parents really cared, they would embrace who I am without worries about my faith or loyalties. Perhaps the people who are weak of mind and spirit are the ones who cannot accept, that faith doesn't come naturally to everyone, that doubt is natural.....If a culture of uniformity is desired, there are better ways of going about that, ways I would gladly support.

My ideals, those are a matter of public record and the controversy they create means they don't bear repeating here. This post has already strayed away from the exclusionary culture of the Amarr Empire, which is what I thought was the topic of discussion. My good work, helping the Empire, is also a matter of public record.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#55 - 2015-02-10 03:46:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Miss Mithra,

It may seem odd to you, but I am not obigated to elaborate to the furthest possible extreme when I am only stating an opinion in brief on a public forum, especially in a thread that is not exactly meant as a platform for intense debate. I would dare say doing so on every single occasion would likely quickly become rather exhausting and be detrimental to my health, in fact. I did not set out to start an in depth discussion on this matter.

In any case, I could go on at you about social theory regarding cultural diffusion in the face of globalization and how it's essentially a proven truth that in an supernational environment with low transport costs which, at least in space, our society absolutely is, people will trend towards picking and choosing their customs over time regardless of background culture (which yes, obviously does go both ways - I wasn't fetishizing federal culture (and probably shouldn't have used it as an example) there as you seem to have painted me doing, and I quite accept aspects of amarrian marital culture will be picked up in other parts of the cluster, as well - but I think the phenomena will inherently cause more compromization to strict and regulated systems versus unregulated ones simply because there's nothing to compromise in the latter case) and how that trend transcends individual circumstance, which forms the basis of this opinion, but I don't really think you want to hear about it. I found the tone of your post rather aggressive and condescending, so I'm going to back away from this dialogue.

I will thank you for clarifying your comment about immigration, however. Obviously I'm aware of the existance of passports, but I had drawn the wrong understanding from the remark originally.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#56 - 2015-02-10 08:46:31 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:
If my former friends from the Mandate, or even my parents really cared, they would embrace who I am without worries about my faith or loyalties.

This just proves what Mr. Vellum said. This kind of belief is very selfish. This idea that you should be allowed to do whatever you want and if people get upset or hurt by what you did, it's their fault rather than yours.

If you had cared for your friends and family, you would have done everything you could to make them proud. But it's obvious that you're not after people who truly care about you, what you are really after is people who tell you what you want to hear.

A drug may make you feel good, but it doesn't mean it's healthy for you.

Someone who truly cares doesn't accept your flaws, they demand that you overcome them so that they can see you become a better person.
Albizu Zateki
Doomheim
#57 - 2015-02-10 12:07:10 UTC
Kale Silence wrote:

The traditional Amarr response to other faiths goes something like this:

Heathen/Atheist: Convert. If necessary, enslave and/or kill.

Infidel: Enslave and convert or kill.

Heretic: Kill.

Apostate: Kill.

"Bloody Omir's coming back. Monsters from the endless black. Wading through a crimson flood, Omir's come to drink your blood."

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#58 - 2015-02-10 12:45:43 UTC
As a Heathen/Infidel myself (at least from the Amarrian perspective - In my eyes, it's the lot of you following the bizzare religion!) I was under the impression there was no real difference between the two terms.
Albizu Zateki
Doomheim
#59 - 2015-02-10 15:07:32 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
As a Heathen/Infidel myself (at least from the Amarrian perspective - In my eyes, it's the lot of you following the bizzare religion!) I was under the impression there was no real difference between the two terms.

A heathen is someone of another faith, but not a widely held one; or someone who only practices it nominally. Such as a person who is only mindful of their faith on holy days, during weddings, funerals, times of extreme stress or trauma. Lip-service practitioners.

An infidel is an atheist or someone of another faith who is devout in their belief.

U'tah Arareb
Doomheim
#60 - 2015-02-10 15:50:17 UTC
Albizu Zateki wrote:
Kale Silence wrote:

The traditional Amarr response to other faiths goes something like this:

Heathen/Atheist: Convert. If necessary, enslave and/or kill.

Infidel: Enslave and convert or kill.

Heretic: Kill.

You say these like they are bad.

Convert. If necessary, enslave and/or kill. :

It is Gods wish that all should come to the true faith, and be joyful in it...

You seem to mistake our "slavery" for that of the ancients... with whips and chains... we discourage such abuse.. our slaves are well cared for like children as we guide them. I am not a Holder but I'm sure many would be more than happy to show you what great love they have for their charges.

Killing is not ideal and something we actually avoid unless no other option exists.

Heretic: Kill:

Actually it is preferable that they recant and come back... some time in a purification pit might be needed. That's not always possible sadly.

See above.