These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123
 

Mining - Are there really pirates out there ?

First post
Author
Nevil Oscillator
#41 - 2015-02-09 17:07:20 UTC
Sinigr Shadowsong wrote:
Miners, listen to OP. Don't tank your ships, buy the best yield modules available. And put your favorite mining systems into your Bio, just in case.


lol that's good enough
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#42 - 2015-02-09 17:17:39 UTC
I dont think theres such a thing as a high-sec pirate. Gankers and wardeccers are all I hear about when h-sec is involved.

Maybe you could argue that extorting 10 mill from a player for a "mining-permit" is piracy, but it just doesn't feel the same.

To get back on topic; there are those that gank miningbarges. If you want the chance of that happening successfully to decrease you either bribe known groups (permits) and hope you bribed the right ones or tank your barge. Or both.

I should probably end with a obligatory get out of high-sec remark, but I don't care enough about players I will most likely never meet.
Celestia Via
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#43 - 2015-02-09 17:35:26 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:


The maths is fine so long as you don't ignore relevant factors such as the chances of someone dying does change with age.



just because you say so?
because chance distribution theory says different. Are you ready to disprove it with solid mathematical proof??

If not, please refrain from saying things just because "they make sense to you" when someone has already pointed out that its wrong, it promotes mathematical illiteracy.

thanks.

"We marched for days and nights, under sun, in the rain. Our minds and bodies ached for rest, but in our hearts there was nothing but the fight."

Paranoid Loyd
#44 - 2015-02-09 17:39:43 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
Nevil Oscillator wrote:


The maths is fine so long as you don't ignore relevant factors such as the chances of someone dying does change with age.



just because you say so?
because chance distribution theory says different. Are you ready to disprove it with solid mathematical proof??

If not, please refrain from saying things just because "they make sense to you" when someone has already pointed out that its wrong, it promotes mathematical illiteracy.

thanks.

Hook, line and sinker.

Don't feed the troll folks.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Pok Nibin
Doomheim
#45 - 2015-02-09 18:18:32 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
first of all, the chance was never 0.2, this is out of total people online. We would need the average of people mining in highsec.

If we assume this to be.. 1/10th? of all people online, chances climb to 2%. Even thats not correct, since its vague, (2% per what?)
Mining is an ongoing process in time, and therefore a Poisson distribution needs to be used to determine proper chance of being ganked (per day/hour/minute) while mining in highsec.

And yes, the Poisson dist. does have the "amnesia" property, meaning that, for example, not being ganked for the past year, or just having been ganked does not alter the chance to be ganked again in any way.

edit: to clarify on amnesia : If the Poisson distribution of chance says for example, that you have a 5% chance to be ganked each hour, its just that. Spending additional hours does not add to the chance. Another example is human lifespan, if each person has for eg. a 1% chance to die at any given time, someone who is already 110 years old still has the same chance (1%) to die at any given time.
It might seem logical for an old person to have increased chance, but its incorrect. Math is fun, eh? Lol

No. We would not require the total people mining. It's "ganking" period. Cherry picking not required.

The right to free speech doesn't automatically carry with it the right to be taken seriously.

Nevil Oscillator
#46 - 2015-02-09 18:36:56 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:



just because you say so?
because chance distribution theory says different. Are you ready to disprove it with solid mathematical proof??

If not, please refrain from saying things just because "they make sense to you" when someone has already pointed out that its wrong, it promotes mathematical illiteracy.

thanks.



The frailness of the elderly is not my say so
Celestia Via
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#47 - 2015-02-09 18:46:13 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

The frailness of the elderly is not my say so


The frailess of the elderly is not a mathematic variable. If you make it one, how is it compared to the frailness of infants or middle aged people?

the sentence "Old people have more chances to die" only seems logical to you because you havent thought it through.

If you try your best and see cannot see how wrong it is, perhaps logic is not your strong point, you are an intuitive type who is better suited for literature or poetry. i dunno.

"We marched for days and nights, under sun, in the rain. Our minds and bodies ached for rest, but in our hearts there was nothing but the fight."

Nevil Oscillator
#48 - 2015-02-09 18:51:10 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

The frailness of the elderly is not my say so


The frailess of the elderly is not a mathematic variable. If you make it one, how is it compared to the frailness of infants or middle aged people?

the sentence "Old people have more chances to die" only seems logical to you because you havent thought it through.

If you try your best and see cannot see how wrong it is, perhaps logic is not your strong point, you are an intuitive type who is better suited for literature or poetry. i dunno.



It can be statistically quantified, as can the fatality level of all age groups but statistically everyone who is 100 now will be dead in 50 years time. Not so for younger people.
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2015-02-09 19:18:13 UTC
The threat of gankers possibly coming for me was the only thing that kept mining somewhat interesting.


Miiners should really be thanking gankers.
Hippinse
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2015-02-09 19:18:27 UTC
For the purposes of selling permits, recruiting, etc., gankers will tell everyone that they're lurking behind every asteroid and it's just a short matter of time until they join the tally of destroyed ships.

For the purposes of advocating for adjustments to the game (ore distribution in nullsec, nerfs/buffs to gankers, nerfs/buffs to mining barges, etc) gankers will happily tell the world that getting ganked is the unlikeliest thing that could ever happen to someone.

The message depends on what is being sold. (Speaking of which, what are you selling, OP?)

My anecdotal observations: I mine exclusively in missions because while I was never ganked, I grew tired of people "innocently" warping to my belt and testing my reactions. It's not that what they're doing isn't valid gameplay, but the feigned innocence/ignorance just grew to be insulting. I didn't mind them confirming I wasn't a bot. I minded when they knew that I wasn't a bot and they couldn't come clean or at least come up with a non-insulting lie. (I know exactly why they're slowboating towards me in their venture/destroyer/etc when I'm 40km off the warp-in behind one end of the belt.)

These days I still have people scan me down and warp to me, but they're mostly mission flippers.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#51 - 2015-02-09 20:11:55 UTC
good hustle nevil,
you owe Abrazzar though as hes provided the content here.
you need to give a little to keep them going dude,
its not enough to just ask a question and the sit being deliberately obtuse for four or five pages.

4/10

you get points for moving out of the new bro section.

Nevil Oscillator
#52 - 2015-02-09 21:06:42 UTC
Dalloway Jones wrote:
The threat of gankers possibly coming for me was the only thing that kept mining somewhat interesting.


Miiners should really be thanking gankers.



I understand this sentiment but mining while at war beats it hands down because there are people out there with a reason to attack you and concord will not do anything about it.

It beats the everyone is the enemy mentality of gank paranoia because you have a real enemy.

I go straight to a belt and start chatting with the other miners, yeah they could look up my corp history and see who I am at war with and tell them where I am but so what ?

Bring it on
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#53 - 2015-02-09 21:18:19 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
you get points for moving out ofbeing removed from the new bro section.

FTFY. One can dream.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Nevil Oscillator
#54 - 2015-02-09 21:47:23 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
you get points for moving out ofbeing removed from the new bro section.

FTFY. One can dream.


Questions in Questions

Discussions in Discussions

New Game Ideas in Discussions until you know what it is you think should be done
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#55 - 2015-02-09 22:20:19 UTC
Quote:
5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive, and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

OP is derailing his own thread. This will get a lock.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Previous page123