These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#101 - 2015-02-09 17:18:19 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Yeah. AND, I think we're underplaying the notion that corporate endorsement of sociopathic behavior tends to appeal to sociopaths. We're actually invaded by some pretty imbalanced people at this point.

I don't think I have ever met or heard of an EVE player who has been officially diagnosed as a sociopath.

Sociopath is a BIG word. Don't use it lightly.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#102 - 2015-02-09 17:20:02 UTC
Unezka Turigahl wrote:
Kestral Anneto wrote:

Well, Sarkeesian has done more damage than good to gaming as a whole.
Social Justice Warrior's can carry on crying.
Though this is a good hypothetcial, what would CCP do if the SJW started bitching? Would they appease them?

Why would "SJW" types cry about EVE? CCP makes fun of the damsel in distress trope with... The Damsel in Distress mission. The female clothes tend to be sensible. The sexes are represented equally with regards to clothing and character customization. Valkyrie's main NPC is to be a female fighter pilot and a leader of sorts. Voiced by a female actress who played a bad ass fighter pilot character. They got rid of the pleasure hub chick. They added Exotic Dancers, Male. The old artwork with silly scantily clad women is nowhere to be seen anymore. EVE would probably be praised by such people.

Apparently sensible depictions of females doesn't bring in flocks of female gamers all by itself though.

As for Sarkeesian... I don't get it. Maybe I didn't watch the right videos. The couple that I saw had her pointing out the obvious over and over. This causes the internets to explode? Meh.

Eve is really weird in that the developers seem about 10 times more progressive then the players. Just look at CCP Seagull.
Lupe Meza
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#103 - 2015-02-09 17:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Lupe Meza
Celestia Via wrote:
Leannor wrote:
Thorn en Distel wrote:
[quote=Elenahina]
Part of it may be the fact that most women like communities and social interaction. Having an environment where you cannot even trust your own corp mates is a strong disincentive to playing.

This! General assumption of trust and being sensible, and reliable (aka mature) is missing in much of EVE. ...

agreed, as i mentioned above, but community is made up by the individuals. How can we have better community and social interaction without women to help us? You cant expect men to simply change and be better all by themselves, nor can women expect to find a great community laid out for them without taking interest in it and working towards making it better.

I don't know how I feel about this statement. It's almost like we are misanthropes by our very male nature and without women being willing to step into the poo storm to teach us how to stop flinging poo at each other, how will we ever learn? I want to be offended as a male. That somehow I'm being told that I just don't "know any better", I just don't know how to how to be an empathic human being capable of being in a competitive game environment without devolving into the worst version of myself and still have some measure of respect for the person at the other keyboard. In principal anyway. Unfortunately more often than not this is demonstrably true in reality. At least as far as the more vocal and visible elements are concerned. But to be fair I don't think it is fair to make it a male phenomena, it is more of a males that plays EVE thing as the I said earlier, this game just seems to attract that type of player.

I do 100% agree that you can't complain about a community without taking interest in working towards bettering it either as a whole or even just carving out a place in the community. EVE being so player driven, you pretty much HAVE to make things happen, not wait for others to do it for you. It takes work. There are supportive environments for women that play the game, it just just takes more effort to seek them out, and I can sympathize with the caustic environment outside whatever community you're in making it perhaps not worth the effort when you can just play another game.

As much as I enjoy EVE I'm not silly enough to thing that any game is so good that it is a privilege that I'm worthy enough allowed to play it; it has to offer something to me as a player. If all I'm going to get is a lot of BS and grief, yeah why bother? I can totally see that point.
Celestia Via
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#104 - 2015-02-09 17:26:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Celestia Via
Quote:
I don't know how I feel about this statement.

Please try to understand that this statement is not directed towards any individual but towards the social result you get when you group too many males to females in one place.

As single people, most men can be great people, but put them all together in the same place and what do you get? EvE online. :P

unless the male group is under strict honor or discipline code, the army for example, I dont believe you can argue that male-only groups are socially dysfunctional.

"We marched for days and nights, under sun, in the rain. Our minds and bodies ached for rest, but in our hearts there was nothing but the fight."

Kestral Anneto
Reign of Steel
Brave Collective
#105 - 2015-02-09 17:31:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Kestral Anneto
What I don't understand is if women where interested in EvE, they would be playing it, if they aren't, they are obviously not interested, why change a well loved game for people that aren't interested?
On a different note, why is it that women 'have' to be involved in EVERYTHING that men do? Can't men just have something where its NOT pandering to women? Women just come into a community and start demanding things change, how about you adapt? Yes, men are crude, yes we swear, yes we are competative, back-stabbing b@stards to each other and anyone around us in game, don't like it? Go do something else, simple
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#106 - 2015-02-09 17:32:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Kestral Anneto wrote:
What I don't understand is if women where interested in EvE, they would be playing it, if they aren't, they are obviously not interested, why change a well loved game for people that aren't interested?
On a different note, why is it that women 'have' to be involved in EVERYTHING that men do? Can't men just have something where its NOT pandering to women? Women just come into a community and start demanding things change, how about you adapt? Yes, men are crude, yes we swear, yes we are competative, back-stabbing b@stards to each other and anyone around us in game, don't like it? Go do something else, simple

This is basically exactly what I meant.

Also, I don't think being basically polite is pandering to women. I wouldn't really be thrilled by a woman shouting sexual slurs at me, either. More like pandering to people who aren't jerks.
Lupe Meza
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#107 - 2015-02-09 17:33:49 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how I feel about this statement.

Please try to understand that this statement is not directed towards any individual but towards the social result you get when you group too many males to females in one place.

As single people, most men can be great people, but put them all together in the same place and what do you get? EvE online. :P

unless the male group is under strict honor or discipline code, the army for example, I dont believe you can argue that male-only groups are socially dysfunctional.

That be an interesting social experiment actually, put a group together dominated by women with a male minority and see if it turns out egalitarian and fair particularly in respects to that male minority. I wonder if it has already been done actually.

Is abuse of "faux" authority and power of the majority a truly gender issue or a human one. I don't know one way or the other, I'd genuinely be curious what the outcome would be.
Kestral Anneto
Reign of Steel
Brave Collective
#108 - 2015-02-09 17:36:05 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Kestral Anneto wrote:

explain
Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#109 - 2015-02-09 17:36:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Godfrey Silvarna
Celestia Via wrote:

I do not believe even the least bit that this statement is true. It is roughly as sexist as saying that all female-only groups are bound to decline into drama, bitching and bickering.
Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#110 - 2015-02-09 17:38:48 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:

(I even know a few women that use voice synthesisers to sound like men and avoid the "ti.ts or gtfo" type of behaviour.)

very disturbing if true.

this is a very interesting subject, i disagree that "eve should not be changed to include women", an opinion voiced by someone above.
eve should be changed to include women, or should at least try not to exclude them in such a way that the quoted phrase demonstrates. Its sad to think that even the few women that want to play EVE need ways to hide their gender inorder to not drown in the testosterone tsunami that is currently EVE.

I really enjoy EVE as it is, a boys club, but it can be better.
Making the EvEverse female friendly without it losing its competitive edge (the male friendly factor) is a huge challenge for CCP, but one with great rewards if accomplished.
Rewards such as, almost double the current playerbase and a better community, balanced and mature.

To whoever wants to argue about the currect community, i urge them to just take a look at these forums, where its usually 20% constructive posts, the rest being pointless chest beating and length measuring. We can do better.

The game itself isn't what keeps women away. It's the people who keep the women away. You'll have to trust me on this: I'm an expert at keeping women away.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Celestia Via
Ushra'Khan
#111 - 2015-02-09 17:42:01 UTC
Kestral Anneto wrote:

eeeh, yeah.. you like your boys club so much that you actually want to drive any attempts to make it better away?

Aight, all people that are not competitive,back stabbing b@stards will go away, and you will get your scumbucket, see how you like it.

Also, its pure hypocrisy to voice such an opinion here and completely different ones to get you laid, food for thought.

"We marched for days and nights, under sun, in the rain. Our minds and bodies ached for rest, but in our hearts there was nothing but the fight."

Kestral Anneto
Reign of Steel
Brave Collective
#112 - 2015-02-09 17:43:48 UTC
Celestia Via wrote:
Kestral Anneto wrote:

eeeh, yeah.. you like your boys club so much that you actually want to drive any attempts to make it better away?

Aight, all people that are not competitive,back stabbing b@stards will go away, and you will get your scumbucket, see how you like it.

Also, its pure hypocrisy to voice such an opinion here and completely different ones to get you laid, food for thought.

why does more women in game automatically make it better?

and dude, i'm married, i dont get laid Roll
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#113 - 2015-02-09 17:44:55 UTC
Kestral Anneto wrote:

Side note, it's not 'women' coming in demanding things change. Most of the change-freaks here (who come in and want the game changed to fit their worldview rather than modifying their world view to fit the game) are men (and forum posters lol).

But I whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment of your post. Especially the part I bolded. That part sums up the forever war between folks like me and the "EVe would get so many more subs if...someone would just think of the children" people. I've said the same things, Can we not have ONE game that is about freedom, that is about players being who they are and playing how they want instead of the fake honor/political correctness BS of not only the rest of the MMO industry, but the real world too?

Women (and anyone else, including PVE players such as myself) are already welcomed in EVE, IF they are the hearty, ambitious, self starting, knock the door down, "F$%^& your glass ceiling, you work for ME now" ass kicker types rather than the "oh I'm so oppressed by my lack of Y Chomosomage, i'll just sit in this corner and cry till someone helps me" types.

The best female EVE player i ever flew with would announce herself on comms with the declaration that "y'all are all MY bitches now" and she was (is) unstoppable. THAT is a EVE woman (real EVE women make Klingon women look like dainty little flowers), hell THAT is an EVE player of any gender.
Lupe Meza
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2015-02-09 17:45:20 UTC
Godfrey Silvarna wrote:
Celestia Via wrote:

I do not believe even the least bit that this statement is true. It is roughly as sexist as saying that all female-only groups are bound to decline into drama, bitching and bickering.

Well stereotypes that make you look better are great. I mean who doesn't want to be good at math, with a big weiner, be a great dancer, and law abiding. I mean compare that to being stupid and inarticulate, small weiner, no rhythm, and probable criminal and it is a no brainer what bucket I'd want people to cast me in without even knowing me.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#115 - 2015-02-09 17:47:27 UTC
Kestral Anneto wrote:
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Kestral Anneto wrote:

explain

Look at the post I wrote. You're defending the way you act - Or rather, the way that a lot of the Eve community acts - on the basis that that's how Eve has "always been", rather then even trying to justify the behaviour itself directly. You're getting defensive because people are coming in to a place where you're used to saying rude and crappy stuff to people and pointing out that it's pretty rude and crappy by most normal standards.

It's that attitude there that makes the game so completely unattractive to women. The absolute refusal of many Eve players to show basic mature empathy for people around you and adjust the way you act accordingly. Perhaps that doesn't matter to you, but it is what it is.
Celestia Via
Ushra'Khan
#116 - 2015-02-09 17:47:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Celestia Via
Godfrey Silvarna wrote:

I have many examples of large male groups declining into pointless violence and general mayhem. Just look at football fans (at least in countries where 99% of the fans are male) and then tell me I'm wrong.

Or, provide examples of male groups that have achieved enlightment. One solid example will do.

Look, i know you like equality and all that goodstuff, but being blind to some obvious truths in the name of feminism is not a character bonus, its blindness all the same.

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#117 - 2015-02-09 17:48:22 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
To elabroate on what I said a minute ago, most women I know don't want to play Eve because it's become a self-reinforcing bubble of stupid bravado and masculine crudeness. In most MMOs, a lot of immature habits - And argue that it's your right to do it as much as you want, because it ultimately is, but spouting constant sexual threats and sexually rooted slurs is immature in the eyes of society, like it or not - Have been slowly driven away because the population of women was big enough that people got enough negative feedback that they gave up.

Sexually rude comments and actions towards female players is not unique to EVE, and it's not even that bad. Other games have it much worse, and ironically those games have much higher percentages of female players, so that can't be the reason.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
But Eve has been so completely male dominated, and for so long, that instead a that a lot of men playing it have established it as a safe space for that sort of thing in their minds, and so will naturally get defensive when anyone tries to intrude on it. Look at how many people are shouting "If you don't like it, get out!" over and over. The people sick of it have left already, and the ones left don't want to change. It's a classic boys club.

Why should it change? Not every group or game is supposed to be inclusive to everyone. The very concept of this game is predicated upon ruthless competition within a rather social Darwinist model of player interaction. Every indication seems to be that this would have to change in order for the game to cater more towards women, and it shouldn't. If this is not what they want, they're free to choose not to play it.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
Eve (in most cases) is the only MMO left where I get heckled instantly for describing myself as a feminist.

Maybe it's because EVE players are educated enough to know what a toxic movement feminism really is.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
It is the only MMO left where people make jokes or crappy comments when I speak in a voice chat server for the first time. It is the only MMO left where people throw out slurs like crazy and feel confident enough to tell me to shove it when I point out that they're acting like snickering boys at the back of a playground.

It's almost as if people have a group dynamic where they're comfortable letting loose around each other and don't enjoy it when outsiders tell them to change their behavior. Regardless I seriously, seriously doubt that either of these two points are true.
If you are in a group that does that and you're not comfortable with it, leave. Find another group that doesn't. They exist, I promise.
Celestia Via
Ushra'Khan
#118 - 2015-02-09 17:51:55 UTC
Kestral Anneto wrote:

why does more women in game automatically make it better?

and dude, i'm married, i dont get laid Roll

hehehe aight, i tottaly understand the need to escape our wives and be part of a men-only activity, but cmon,
you cant claim women dont make our lives better in general.. if that was true, why are you married in the first place?

Kestral Anneto
Reign of Steel
Brave Collective
#119 - 2015-02-09 17:52:04 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Look at the post I wrote. You're defending the way you act - Or rather, the way that a lot of the Eve community acts - on the basis that that's how Eve has "always been", rather then even trying to justify the behaviour itself directly. You're getting defensive because people are coming in to a place where you're used to saying rude and crappy stuff to people and pointing out that it's pretty rude and crappy by most normal standards.

It's that attitude there that makes the game so completely unattractive to women. The absolute refusal of many Eve players to show basic mature empathy for people around you and adjust the way you act accordingly. Perhaps that doesn't matter to you, but it is what it is.

EvE is EvE, it shouldn't change because there is no other game like it.
I shouldn't have to defend it, if you can't handle things being said to you, because it offends your sensibilities, then your free to go to another game.
We aren't here to be empathetic, we're here to play EvE, if you want empathy, go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#120 - 2015-02-09 17:53:49 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
. The absolute refusal of many Eve players to show basic mature empathy for people around you and adjust the way you act accordingly.

It is for the new person to adjust to the existing environment, not the other way around. The expectation that people will adjust to YOU just because you exist isn't a female thing, lots of males do that too (as evidenced by these very forums lol). It's wrong no matter who is doing it.

In other words, it's not our job to be welcoming, its the new member's job to make a place for themselves here. whether they are male or female is irrelevant.