These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bishops condemn marrying heretics to convert them

Author
Utari Onzo
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#21 - 2015-02-08 19:15:29 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:

Speaking as a Caldari and an infidel, whether or not you enjoy the terms, Samira is correct in using them. Moreover in neither of the cultures that your parents came from is marriage considered to be simply a matter involving only the two people involved. I can't say what the requirements are in Amarr, but my own marriage required a genetic investigation by the Hall of Records and permission from my Corporation.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think your father did the thing right. He found the woman that he felt he was meant to be with and he did whatever it took to be with her for the rest of his life - even if what it took was surrendering his faith and his culture. Civire are practical enough to put family before faith, a throwback to times when we had to put family before everything if we wanted that family to survive the winter.

I find his solution to be eminently Caldari - make the call and live with the consequences.

I appreciate your more tactful approach to the subject of my father. Yes, my parents faced difficulties in their choice to marry, but in the end they succeeded. I jsut feel no State or governing body should have control over affairs of this matter. I'm not saying people should jump in to marriage, but I am saying people who love each other that much, and in the case of my father willing to possibly sacrifice his own identity and heritage for his chosen family, should be free to do as they wont. That includes marrying.

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#22 - 2015-02-08 19:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
If you feel I was not being tactful, I apologize. I was not intending for the word to be an insult to your father, just a term to distinguish regular faithless from heretics, as foreigners frequently confuse the two. I apologize if you took offense to it, it was intended for clarification, not insult.
Luna Hanaya
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2015-02-08 19:27:23 UTC
I don't know, I would be afraid to marry a heretic.

((

If you are a roleplayer, please join official CCP channels ingame for roleplayers and support roleplaying community:

Intergalactic Summit - IC router

Out of Character - channel for discussion of roleplay, live events and lore

))

Albizu Zateki
Doomheim
#24 - 2015-02-08 19:28:22 UTC
Of course the Gutter Press is the leading authority in all things Amarr and Sani Sabik.

They are right in there there are some bishops out there that would condem the use of the wheel if they could, but the Empire isn't totally run by that sort.

"Bloody Omir's coming back. Monsters from the endless black. Wading through a crimson flood, Omir's come to drink your blood."

Utari Onzo
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#25 - 2015-02-08 20:03:12 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
If you feel I was not being tactful, I apologize. I was not intending for the word to be an insult to you father, just a term to distinguish regular faithless from heretics, as foreigners frequently confuse the two. I apologize if you took offense to it, it was intended for clarification, not insult.

In that case I accept your apology Ms Kernher. I know you're a good capsuleer and adherant of the Faith, and hope not to have a falling out over a matter of doctrine.

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#26 - 2015-02-08 21:09:24 UTC  |  Edited by: ValentinaDLM
Luna Hanaya wrote:
I don't know, I would be afraid to marry a heretic.

Love, can be much stronger than fear, it also seems much less controllable.

It all makes me wonder if I am a heretic, infidel, or upstanding privateer doing the will of the Empress..
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#27 - 2015-02-09 07:47:31 UTC
Nauplius wrote:
I, Nauplius, Prophet of God and leader of the sect of Naupliusism, do hereby seek a wife and concubines for the purpose of insuring the perpetuation of the Faith by means of producing faithful progeny...

Good luck with that Naups. Please let us all know the place, time and date of the nuptials when you find that "special" lady, ok? Roll

I'm quite proud to be seen as a heathen or infidel in the jaundiced eyes of imperials. Better to laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, rule in hell than serve in heaven and all that.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#28 - 2015-02-09 08:02:55 UTC
You think marrying heretics is bad, you should see what they allow in the Federation.

Marrying a heretic is amateur hour.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#29 - 2015-02-09 10:23:15 UTC
While we use the word "marriage" to describe all personal unions, it's important to keep in mind that the reality is that it is applied to wide range of customs that evolved independently of eachother in completely different cultural environments. It seems rather close minded to declare that certain sorts are not legitimate simply based on the fact that they don't conform to the traditional notions of one culture in paticular.

As a cosmopolitan society, we have a right to pick our poisons. People who reject this notion are going to find themselves increasingly at the mercy of the growing international metaculture that will probably have eaten all the others in a thousand years from now.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#30 - 2015-02-09 10:35:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
The unions being discussed in the original post, and throughout this thread, has been Amarrian ones, Ms. Ikiryo. And in Amarr, no you can't just "pick your poison". Your marriage won't be regarded as valid under the eyes of the law, if you could even find a cleric willing to perform the rites, if it doesn't adhere to certain traditional norms: such as the couple being members of the faith and in good standing with the law and, generally, their families.

So, in Amarr, certain unions are, in fact, not legitimate. If foreigners don't care for our culture, fine, but you cannot say we do not have the right to determine what is and is not legitimate in regards to unions within our own borders.

ValentinaDLM wrote:
It all makes me wonder if I am a heretic, infidel, or upstanding privateer doing the will of the Empress..

The correct term for you would be apostate.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#31 - 2015-02-09 10:55:15 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
The unions being discussed in the original post, and throughout this thread, has been Amarrian ones, Ms. Ikiryo. And in Amarr, no you can't just "pick your poison". Your marriage won't be regarded as valid under the eyes of the law, if you could even find a cleric willing to perform the rites, if it doesn't adhere to certain traditional norms: such as the couple being members of the faith and in good standing with the law and, generally, their families.

So, in Amarr, certain unions are, in fact, not legitimate. If foreigners don't care for our culture, fine, but you cannot say we do not have the right to determine what is and is not legitimate in regards to unions within our own borders.

I wasn't really addressing that sentiment, miss Kernher, so much as the general dismissive attitude people seemed to be having regarding marriages that don't fall into convention, regardless of the culture involved. I was just trying to remark in brief that there isn't really a convention to speak of.

I do think the liberalization of marriage as a concept in a cross-cultural sense is inevitable, however. While the Empire can certainly enforce whatever it likes within it's borders, historically speaking, once there is a way to escape a rule in society, that rule tends to begin to break down - At present, any Amarrian commoner (or even Holder for that matter) who finds themselves unable to form a union with a person they want to in the Empire can quite easily go the Federation/Syndicate and flush thousands of years of tradition instantly down the toilet without a care, if they so choose. In the long run, albeit likely the very long run, that is going to start to create problems for the Amarrian system and the pressure peoples families are able to exert on willful individuals who don't want to follow the rules.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#32 - 2015-02-09 11:07:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Which is why we need to do more to restrict cross-cultural borders, rather than continuing this trend towards opening them. His Holiness the late Emperor Heideran VII, may he be at peace with God in Heaven, put Amarr in a good place with the rest of the cluster, but there is a limit to how open we should be.
Albizu Zateki
Doomheim
#33 - 2015-02-09 12:29:07 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
Which is why we need to do more to restrict cross-cultural borders, rather than continuing this trend towards opening them. His Holiness the late Emperor Heideran VII, may he be at peace with God in Heaven, put Amarr in a good place with the rest of the cluster, but there is a limit to how open we should be.

My dear Lady Kemher,

While that is a very nice sentiment, I fear it is only a dream.

We are a space-faring people. We are bordered by several cultures that are vastly different than ours. We are currently at war with two of them. Our nominal ally, the Caldari are so different that if it weren't for the other two, we would probably be at war with them.

Our economy is even more enmeshed with other cultures than our military.

We have a long tradition of space-faring. Indeed, we were the first. Is it not God's will that we reach out across the stars to spread His word?

So what are we to do? Are we to close all borders to the Empire? Are we to capitulate to the vile enemies of God? Are we to plunge ourselves into a new dark age by cutting all trade? I say, no. The Jove thought they could, and look at them now.

If the Universe teaches us anything, it that one must adapt or die. We all would love to live in a galaxy where holder and slave, merchant and artisan, lived in peace and harmony under the grace of God. God has not seen fit to give us this kind of galaxy.

Indeed, quite the opposite.

The original post is decadent filth from our enemies, but it does point to a path of adaptation we might want to explore. Consider the following:

"All things were created by the Divine, and so the glory of our faith is inherent to us all;
When thine heart shines with the Light, thou shalt know no hardship;
When thine actions are in Light's name, thou art immortal.’"
- The Scriptures, Book of Trials 2:1

"Bloody Omir's coming back. Monsters from the endless black. Wading through a crimson flood, Omir's come to drink your blood."

Nicoletta Mithra
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#34 - 2015-02-09 12:45:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicoletta Mithra
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:
While the Empire can certainly enforce whatever it likes within it's borders, historically speaking, once there is a way to escape a rule in society, that rule tends to begin to break down - At present, any Amarrian commoner (or even Holder for that matter) who finds themselves unable to form a union with a person they want to in the Empire can quite easily go the Federation/Syndicate and flush thousands of years of tradition instantly down the toilet without a care, if they so choose. In the long run, albeit likely the very long run, that is going to start to create problems for the Amarrian system and the pressure peoples families are able to exert on willful individuals who don't want to follow the rules.

You honestly do think that?

First, it's not a sunday walk from the Empire to the Federation. There are forms to be filled for a commoner to be allowed to leave the Empire, then there are the forms to be filled to enter the Federation in turn... Put shortly, no, it's not at all easy to go from the Empire to the Federation.

Second, do you really think it's that easy to 'flush down thousands of years of tradition'? I mean, what are those that do to do? Go back to the Empire? Do you really think that within the Empire that marriage, they have entered into in the Federation, would be seen as binding by law? What would it change for one taking such action? He would win very little (getting a piece of paperwork telling that the marriage got entered into, if he gets such at all) and loose a lot: Support of family, friends, et cetera pp. So... No, one never can "flush thousands of years of tradition instantly down the toilet" without a care: Else those thousands of years go back up again and that's going to get ugly.

Third, for the two reasons above, but not only for those, there won't be much of a problem for the 'Amarrian system'. Amarr are usually well educated and they see through the sham that 'marriage' has become in the federation, where total arbitrariness practically lead to the dissolution of marriage as an institution, a recognized union and legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them: If a marriage can be entered into on a whim and similarly left behind on the same, all rights and obligations it could establish are naught. In that case you can simply choose to live with someone, without a need for marriage at all.

Suffice to say, marriage isn't as romantically glorified in the Empire as it is in the Federation. Marriage - in the Empire at least - has a societal function, one that forms lasting bounds over and through generations and one that shapes the destinies of generations to come. Over large swathes of Federation culture, this function is absent from marriage and thus marriage is a dead institution, reduced to an empty shell - and that is why Amarr, attentive to this a-functional state of marriage (and by extension family) which is espoused in the Federation, won't make a run for the Federation. Humans are social beings. Marriage is a core institution in that regard. To think that one should be able to isolate marriage from the social function it serves and deform it to an institution of wish-fulfillment is at it's core egotistical and anti-social. In the long run, such behavior will lead to the destabilization of a society.

Ofcourse one has to add a caveat: The Federation is quite diverse and there are members of the Federation in and for which, family and marriage hasn't lost their social meaning. Statistics give a good hint at the benefits of that. Usually, people living in functional marriages and healthy families (and a true family goes beyond the nucleus of parents-children) are better off than those that don't, for the reason that they recieve better familial support alone, if nothing else.
Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#35 - 2015-02-09 14:18:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
...Ms Mithra, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you might be sort of overanalyzing my remark. I didn't put much detail into it.

I'm aware that it is difficult to immigrate between countries (Though I will comment that the Federation has a well-known mostly-open immigration policy, and that your statement is the first I have heard of the Empire actually restricting the movement of commoners. Could you supply me with a source on that, to feed my academic curiosity?) for both financial and cultural reasons, and that there are a vast range of circumstances that could make it extremely difficult in a case-by-case basis. I'm also aware that the whole affair would likely lead to a lot of social ostracization from ones former peers, and that they certainly wouldn't be going back to the Empire unless their families were of a very tolerant breed. I apologize for not expressing this clearly.

However, I will remind you that I was talking about something taking place over the course of hundreds upon hundreds of years. The people doing as I described right now are probably not the most "well-educated" conformist, rational thinkers in the regard that you seem to be talking about, but rather are likely young, lovestruck and full of resentment to a culture that is not, in the most base of terms, giving them what they want. You're right that they are likely extremely anomalous, but I never suggested they were the end, but rather the beginning. It does not matter that what they are doing is not easy, or even sensible. What matters is that it is possible. People can walk entirely away from the Amarrian marital system and not become outlaws.

Again, cultural change is something that happens extremely slowly - Imagine water sputtering through a crack in a dam. These people are not the surging water blasting through the dams walls and leaving it as a shattered ruin; They are the tiny drops leaking through the system one by one, ever so slowly giving way to more drops at an increasing speed and enlarging the crack. They are people who are going against tradition ever so slightly one at a time, subverting it's legitimacy at a grassroots level, until one day it will have changed just a little bit without anyone even noticing.

How do you think Gallentia went from a conservative feudal society to a hyper-liberal democracy? It certainly wasn't because they all decided one day that all their conventions were a waste of time on the spur of the moment. No tradition is invincible. Tolerated anamolies (assuming they don't stop being tolerated, as miss Kernher is suggesting) tend to give way to normalization, which gives way, in time, to change. That's more or less sociological fact.

I don't think the Amarrian marital tradition is doomed, or anything so dramatic. But I do think it's suffered the first dozen of it's thousand cuts.

The rest of your post is, if I may speak bluntly, coloured by imperiocentricism to the point that I am not really sure how to respond without a lecture. (I could remark on quite a lot about your assertion that marriage has been "reduced to a husk" in the Federation, to the say the least.) Regardless, I will speak my personal opinion, which is that family centric arranged marriages, for all their virtues, tend to foster tribalism and nepotism to unpleasant degrees. Not to mention putting people in some very unhappy positions.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#36 - 2015-02-09 15:20:13 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:

ValentinaDLM wrote:

The correct term for you would be apostate.

Well, that sounds um, better maybe than heretic, I guess. I really hadn't been called that one, so I don't really know if it is bad or not.

So If I were for example to marry you Samira, would it change my status as an "apostate" or would it not be recognized by the religious authorities inside the empire? A rhetorical question, not a proposal for clarity's sake; I am not quite desperate enough to be making unsolicited proposals for marriage.

Sometimes, I am glad to be a capsuleer, since I don't really have to worry too much about all these social rules I seem to be breaking all of the time. I am generally under the impression I am doing the right thing, but I get the feeling that other people generally think I am up to no good for some reason.
U'tah Arareb
Doomheim
#37 - 2015-02-09 15:31:11 UTC
Non- Amarrians may not understand, for our culture Religion and Law are the same thing, so while a Gallente may be 'free' to marry a Quill-rat such would not be legal in Amarr. I agree with these bishops, although it should be noted that any policy must pass the Theology Council before becoming Holy Law.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#38 - 2015-02-09 15:37:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Albizu Zateki wrote:
My dear Lady Kemher,

While that is a very nice sentiment, I fear it is only a dream.

We are a space-faring people. We are bordered by several cultures that are vastly different than ours. We are currently at war with two of them. Our nominal ally, the Caldari are so different that if it weren't for the other two, we would probably be at war with them.

Our economy is even more enmeshed with other cultures than our military.

We have a long tradition of space-faring. Indeed, we were the first. Is it not God's will that we reach out across the stars to spread His word?

So what are we to do? Are we to close all borders to the Empire? Are we to capitulate to the vile enemies of God? Are we to plunge ourselves into a new dark age by cutting all trade? I say, no. The Jove thought they could, and look at them now.

If the Universe teaches us anything, it that one must adapt or die. We all would love to live in a galaxy where holder and slave, merchant and artisan, lived in peace and harmony under the grace of God. God has not seen fit to give us this kind of galaxy.

Indeed, quite the opposite.

The original post is decadent filth from our enemies, but it does point to a path of adaptation we might want to explore. Consider the following:

"All things were created by the Divine, and so the glory of our faith is inherent to us all;
When thine heart shines with the Light, thou shalt know no hardship;
When thine actions are in Light's name, thou art immortal.’"
- The Scriptures, Book of Trials 2:1

Mr. Zateki,

Firstly, I am not a Holder. Please do not insult proper Holders by calling me Lady.

Secondly, there's a great difference between spreading His Word to the non-believers, and allowing the word of the non-believers to be spread to us.

Amarr is the empire of God, and our chief export is the Faith. The only things we can afford to import from the other empires are redeemed souls and certain physical goods. Foreign culture on the other hand is something that should never be allowed into Amarr, lest we risk the ruin of the only bastion of God in this universe.

Thirdly, I do not see what you find wrong in the original post. While Gutter Press articles are usually shoddy, this one is quite appropriate. The faithful should not be marrying heretics. Heretics are criminals under Amarr law and deserve only repudiation. And any such sacrilegious union more often leads to the ruin of the faithful rather than the redemption of the heretic, as observed in the many capsuleer examples over the years.

I understand you may take offense to this, seeing as you seem to claim loyalty to the Blood Raider Covenant rather than Amarr according to your choice of dress, and thus would be the heretic to whom the faithful should be avoiding marriage.

ValentinaDLM wrote:
Well, that sounds um, better maybe than heretic, I guess. I really hadn't been called that one, so I don't really know if it is bad or not.

It's worse. At least a heretic still believes in God, even if they reject His true Word, and at least an infidel is justified in their faithlessness by the ignorance of their upbringing.

An apostate, however, is guilty of the original sin. An apostate has known God, and chosen to reject Him.

"The gates of paradise will open for you one time only; woe to the soul who dares to knock twice."
-Missions 5:14

Quote:
So If I were for example to marry you Samira, would it change my status as an "apostate" or would it not be recognized by the religious authorities inside the empire? A rhetorical question, not a proposal for clarity's sake; I am not quite desperate enough to be making unsolicited proposals for marriage.

Sometimes, I am glad to be a capsuleer, since I don't really have to worry too much about all these social rules I seem to be breaking all of the time. I am generally under the impression I am doing the right thing, but I get the feeling that other people generally think I am up to no good for some reason.

It wouldn't change it. Your status is based off of your faith. You chose to reject God, and that choice makes you an apostate. If you want to change that status, then you should abandon your current loyalties, submit yourself to the MIO, and get on your hands and knees before an altar and pray for forgiveness.

As for doing the right thing, you stopped that when you chose to abandon Amarr to follow Sansha's Nation.
Jennifer Starfall
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#39 - 2015-02-09 16:35:25 UTC
I think this is touching on a rather delicate and sensitive subject requiring careful handling.

As Valentina astutely noted, when it comes to love, people rarely act rationally. Anyone who has been in love knows this. Love can move us to the most noble and most atrocious acts.

While the romantic ideal is for a marriage to be about love, the reality is that there are many reasons for marriage: political, familial obligation, as well as love. Love is not always a consideration and may be left as something to develop later.

I believe what Ms. Mithra and Ms. Kernher are talking about here is the legal institution of marriage as it exists in the Amarr Empire, which is manifestation of the law of God. To dismiss that out-of-hand would be disrespectful of an entire culture and nullify the possibility of rational debate and discourse on the subject.

I think the question that comes to mind when one, as an outsider to the Empire and their Faith, is confronted with this viewpoint on marriage is the one that has been expressed: What about love? Doesn't love have a place within the tenants of marriage in the Empire?

To this, as an outsider looking in, I would say absolutely yes. I know personally, for a fact that Amarrians are quite capable of love. Beyond just the evidence of the deep abiding love they have for God, I have personally felt love, of one kind or another, extended to me, a heathen, by Amarrians of great Faith.

I think in the case of a devout Amarrian and a heathen being love, you have to look at the depth of that love and what it implies. If the Amarrian truly loves the heathen, they will want to share the joy that their love of God brings them and attempt to bring them into the light that their love of God brings. By the same token, the heathen who loves the Amarrian will know how important their lover's love of God is to them. The heathen may be so moved as to try to come to love God and obtain God's light for themselves, if only because of the love they have for their Amarrian love.

By the same token, the Amarrian may feel that their faith is a barrier between them and their lover, a barrier they feel that they must tear down. This would be a shocking choice to another faithful of God, but as I said, love makes us capable of great nobility and great atrocity by equal turns.

There's no one answer here. There's no simple solution. Each solution is as unique as each relationship, a sum transcendent of its parts.

So while we can say the law says what is written, we cannot ignore that we are touching upon human hearts, the most delicate and volatile of instruments. So, let us tread softly and be mindful of where we step, lest we trample the flowers that grow here.

Jennifer Starfall

Fifth Seyllin Conference

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#40 - 2015-02-09 16:56:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
Your reply is very apt, Ms. Starfall. Thank you.

The core issue is this:

God supercedes love. This is why differences in faith are an extremely threatening prospect for marriage. Faithful members in the relationship will be loyal to their faith before their marriage. If the couple's faiths are not in harmony, then there will be great disharmony in the relationship.

This is why it is best to make sure spiritual beliefs are in alignment before taking any vows. This will ensure that the couple are not competing against each other, or against their differing beliefs. Their faith will instead be something they both share, a source of strength and bonding rather than friction.

As for love, Amarr do feel love. But we also believe in tempering love, and any other emotion, with wisdom and prudence. Marriage is a longterm commitment. Love is frequently not. A marriage built solely on love is likely to collapse the moment the feelings burn out. A marriage built on faith, family, and children is more likely to thrive, because the couple has something greater than themselves at stake, and because those shared commitments will create or fortify the feelings they have for one other.

I honestly do not understand this mindset I see of posters thinking that Amarr doesn't care about the couple, or that it's some evil power and control play by the church. We care very deeply about marriage and about family. That's why we say the things we do about it.