These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why don't more women play Eve Online?

First post
Author
Kenneth Endashi
Kor-Azor Slave Holdings
#1 - 2015-02-09 02:34:34 UTC
I have played Eve for about one year, and observed that fewer women play Eve Online than men.

While I acknowledge variables like gender identity, avatar gender, and the choice to join teamspeak channels, I still feel like women are either missing from the game or underrepresented.

Incidentally - and of no consequence to my question, just an observation - a group I have noticed an abundance of are law enforcement officials, prison guards and truckers.

I always enjoy a diversity of perspectives. It would be ideal to have a group of people from all walks of life on the same teamspeak channel, for instance. But I acknowledge that even in real life, this rarely takes place.

I read a 2008 study that says gaming activates the reward center of the male brain more often than in the female brain, but I still don't believe that totally accounts for the discrepancy. I am wondering if any of you are aware of more complex studies on the subject. I also saw a 2013 "study" that suggests more women play games than men, but it was referring to mobile games like Candy Crush Saga, and did not speak directly to my question.

I believe there must be some social reason - maybe even a problem - to better explain the reason. This could be a good opportunity to hear from the women some of the things that potentially drive you away from Eve Online. I would love to have this discussion.

Thanks. Be well.
Another Posting Alt
Zerious Fricken Biziness
#2 - 2015-02-09 02:40:00 UTC
Half of all the women in my household play EVE. What are you talking about?
Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#3 - 2015-02-09 02:42:41 UTC
Tons of women play EvE. They all have large bosoms and skinny waists and tend to wear sunglasses.
Kenneth Endashi
Kor-Azor Slave Holdings
#4 - 2015-02-09 02:43:37 UTC
That's great! I get that there are anecdotal references to women who play - very large groups of women - but I am talking more generally, why, on the average, do more men play than women?

I think it extends beyond Eve to all videogames in general, even.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#5 - 2015-02-09 02:53:21 UTC
I'm not professionally qualified enough to give an objective view on why there is only a small percentage of females in the player base. In the end, my opinion would run the potential of being filled with chauvanistic opinion that totally misses the mark.

So the only facts I can actually bring to this discussion is that I know several female players in the game, but they are well and truly a minority.

Two of them are my two favorite forum posters. I don't think I've ever read a post from either of them that I disagreed with.

The game is much richer in my view for the presence of those players and it would be great if more were attracted to it.
Zeko Rena
ENCOM Industries
#6 - 2015-02-09 02:54:21 UTC
#singlereadytomingle
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2015-02-09 03:06:17 UTC
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-02-09 03:10:22 UTC
DISCLAIMER - the following comments are not based in any way whatsoever on any sort of statistical analysis or genuine attempt at data collection.

A combination of factors:

- It seems likely there are slightly less women into spaceships and guns then men
- It is also possible women are less PvP inclined then men and this game has a hardcore PvP rep
- amongst the 4 or 5 female gamers I know personally the lack of WIS seems a bigger issue than it is for male players. Even the hardcore PvP sci-fan who has her own clan in another game was not keen once she realised you could not interact in character with other players
Anton Menges Saddat
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-02-09 03:27:19 UTC
My CEO is female. Multiple FCs in my alliance are female.
Memphis Baas
#10 - 2015-02-09 03:28:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Why don't YOU play Candy Crush or other smartphone app games?

Not interested? It's the same answer to your question.

By the last given statistics (from a few years ago), 5% of the players are female. WoW and SWTOR have 30% and are more themepark and cooperative games.

Not sure what kinds of answers you expect in this thread; by definition you'll get answers from the 5% who do play, and from the 95% males who play, so if your question is "why don't women play" perhaps you should ask them in the Candy Crush forums or on Facebook or whatever, because you're not reaching your intended audience with your question on these forums.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2015-02-09 03:36:42 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Why don't YOU play Candy Crush or other smartphone app games?

I play Candy Crush. I make it hardcore by refusing to proceed till I get 3 stars.

I have been stuck on level 138 for months but refuse to give in ...
Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#12 - 2015-02-09 03:49:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Elenahina
Part of it may the fact that a girl in teamspeak is generally enough to reduce corps of grown men to teenagers in a **** measuring contest. I imagine it's amusing at first, but I expect the novelty wears off after a while.

It may also be that fewer women find the game appealing for whatever reason.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#13 - 2015-02-09 03:49:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Here is why you are not aware of more women playing the game:

Quote:
***** go make me a sandwich!

Quote:
Why did the woman cross the road? That's not the point, what the heck was she doing out of the kitchen?

Quote:
penis penis penis penis penis

Quote:
**** or GTFO!

(paraphrased from actual in-game interactions)

Now you might not be one of the classical "12 yo stuck in a 40 yo body" types who come up with this kind of witty repartee, but from the woman's perspective it only takes one voice on channel to take up air time with offensive language to ruin that channel for them. One rotten apple to spoil the barrel, one might say. Which is not to say that the one rotten apple actually ruins the other apples, but it stinks up the barrel so nobody wants to buy it, thus what the rotten apple spoils is the buyer's perception of the entire barrel.

So the reason you don't realise that there are more women playing the game is because apart from the few who are quite capable of shutting down the potty-mouthed brats, they have learned that identifying as a woman leads to unpleasant interactions with someone in the audience.

The statistics about 4% of players being women come from whether the subscriber ticked the "male" or "female" box in a form. I would not be surprised that many women ticked the "male" box in order to fend off unwanted attention, especially from advertisers to whom contact details are often sold to.

Don't worry, there are lots of women playing EVE. They just find their gaming life is a whole lot less complicated when they don't tell everyone the irrelevant details such as A/S/L.
Memphis Baas
#14 - 2015-02-09 03:56:43 UTC
Barrens Chat was way worse than what you see in local, even in Jita, so I imagine that women had to put up with the same stuff in WoW as in this game. If the 12 yo brats are the same playerbase in both games, then 30% vs. 5% must be from the difference in gameplay between the two games.
ashley Eoner
#15 - 2015-02-09 04:12:43 UTC
Every woman I know that plays this game makes it a point to not let it known they are a girl. Things go much smoother that way for them.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#16 - 2015-02-09 04:51:17 UTC
Everybody's mothers play Eve AND wear combat boots too.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2015-02-09 04:54:35 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Part of it may the fact that a girl in teamspeak is generally enough to reduce corps of grown men to teenagers in a **** measuring contest. I imagine it's amusing at first, but I expect the novelty wears off after a while.

We stamped out that bullshit a few years ago.
Ned Thomas
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-02-09 04:55:43 UTC
I've asked my wife if she wanted to give Eve a try. I explained that there was a very in depth player run industry, a single shard universe that everyone exists on, and that there is no real safety anywhere in the game.

She told me that she already has an actual human being well trained to respond to her every whim and why should any video game seem more interesting than that?

I'm not sure who she's talking about.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-02-09 07:03:54 UTC
Why don't more men play the Sims, a game with a predominantly female audience?

Why don't more sci-fi fans play lord of the rings?

Why don't more fantasy fans play Forza Motorsport?

There are, for the record, a lot of women playing EVE online. Just because it has a predominantly male audience doesn't mean women don't get to play if they're interested, it just means it's a game that men are going to tend to be more interested in than women.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#20 - 2015-02-09 07:19:44 UTC
MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls
123Next pageLast page