These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mining Frigates, where to from here ?

First post
Author
Nevil Oscillator
#1 - 2015-02-08 01:59:49 UTC
I love this section:

Mining frigates are fairly straight forward, lasers, quick cycle, upgrade slot and a couple of drones but the barges are a bit more complex and difficult to know which one to choose and train for.

What are the pros and cons of the different barges and are they worth upgrading to ?
Qn'qura Zalas Zula
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-02-08 02:57:52 UTC
I'm not much of a miner as I found it rather mind numbing, but the barges.
depends really on what you're wanting.

Covetor , tiny ore hold, paper tank, best yield : this is really a fleet miner.

Retriever, huge ore hold, modest tank, middling yield : more of a solo Highsec miner, they go bang to ganks nicely still though.

Procurer, middling ore hold, potentially monsterous tank, modest yield : this ship is resistant to all but the most determined ganks, still dies easilly in less secure space.

If you're determined to go mad on mining then picking a barge that suits your needs would be worth it.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Nevil Oscillator
#3 - 2015-02-08 03:33:21 UTC
Qn'qura Zalas Zula wrote:

If you're determined to go mad on mining then picking a barge that suits your needs would be worth it.

Yeah this is the one I went for and a Myrmidon just attacked me and got concorded without really causing me any damage at all.
I just have a strip miner on it, is that the best it can do or can you put T2 and mining crystals on it ?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-02-08 04:19:54 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
Qn'qura Zalas Zula wrote:

Yeah this is the one I went for and a Myrmidon just attacked me and got concorded without really causing me any damage at all.
I just have a strip miner on it, is that the best it can do or can you put T2 and mining crystals on it ?

You can put a t2 strip miner and put a mining crystal in it as well

Also you can put mining laser upgrades in low slots.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#5 - 2015-02-08 04:33:05 UTC
Consider training up some guns for your venture and going in a different direction than mining. If you do insist on mining, be sure to prioritise a tank over yield and pay attention to your surroundings.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Nevil Oscillator
#6 - 2015-02-08 05:21:14 UTC
admiral root wrote:
Consider training up some guns for your venture and going in a different direction than mining. If you do insist on mining, be sure to prioritise a tank over yield and pay attention to your surroundings.

Dunno, I think it is pretty safe to be mining in high sec. If you skimp on the tank you probably get killed by rats more than you get ganked. Maybe that is because I haven't been to the more competitive areas where it is worth losing a destroyer to kill a frigate.
Cherri Minoa
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-02-08 10:29:53 UTC
Hi-sec ganking is a very real threat. Personally I always use tanked Procurers for both hi-sec and null - the Skiff is even more rugged but at around 5 times the price I don't think the cost / benefit balance favours it. Take a look at some of the fits here:

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Procurer

It's a choice you'll have to make for yourself as you gain experience. If you decide to go for vessels with higher yield, just remember to take replacement cost into account because you will lose them more easily.

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

Godfrey Silvarna
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#8 - 2015-02-08 11:09:20 UTC
An additional option here is to stick with the Venture and Prospect, but to switch the Ming Lasers to Gas Harvesters. The gas found in wormholes and the drug manufacturing regions of Lowsec and Nullsec can at its best bring you hundreds of millions of ISK for each full Ore Hold.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2015-02-08 11:33:49 UTC
Hook...

Line...

Sinker...

5 people took the bait.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Nevil Oscillator
#10 - 2015-02-08 11:36:16 UTC
Cherri Minoa wrote:
Take a look at some of the fits here:

It's a choice you'll have to make for yourself as you gain experience. If you decide to go for vessels with higher yield, just remember to take replacement cost into account because you will lose them more easily.

Interesting, they have a lot of active shield and mods that increase sig radius no shield boost.

Godfrey Silvarna wrote:
An additional option here is to stick with the Venture and Prospect, but to switch the Ming Lasers to Gas Harvesters. The gas found in wormholes and the drug manufacturing regions of Lowsec and Nullsec can at its best bring you hundreds of millions of ISK for each full Ore Hold.

Yeah this I can do but I spent a whole day looking for Wormholes and not one of them went to wormhole space.

Nevil Oscillator
#11 - 2015-02-08 11:39:27 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Hook...

Line...

Sinker...

5 people took the bait.

The forums resident pirate thread heckler, shouts troll at everything, wardecs you if you disagree with her but is really quite good at getting threads locked by the moderators.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-02-08 11:42:59 UTC
LOL Nevil.

I thought (hoped) you were forum banned.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Nevil Oscillator
#13 - 2015-02-08 11:50:25 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
LOL Nevil.

I thought (hoped) you were forum banned.

There is hope for pirate scumbags
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-02-08 12:48:52 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
Cherri Minoa wrote:
Take a look at some of the fits here:

Interesting, they have a lot of active shield and mods that increase sig radius no shield boost.

Godfrey Silvarna wrote:

Yeah this I can do but I spent a whole day looking for Wormholes and not one of them went to wormhole space.

Are you really that clueless or do you really NOT want to learn stuff, or are you not able.

You had your answers.
You again, fail to take the good advice and question those who give you good advice.
You again, keep claiming they are wrong and you are right.
So, why are you here then?

In before the inenivable lock.
Cause fail trolls are still troll, and will never be good trolls.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2015-02-08 13:06:35 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

Of course they do. Shield boosts are useless in a gank. Buffer is what counts. Hence active shield resists, shield extenders (which increase sig as a side effect) and no shield boosts.
Nevil Oscillator
#16 - 2015-02-08 13:24:23 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

Of course they do. Shield boosts are useless in a gank. Buffer is what counts. Hence active shield resists, shield extenders (which increase sig as a side effect) and no shield boosts.

Yep it is interesting because you don't need to worry about large weapons.
Nevil Oscillator
#17 - 2015-02-08 13:25:10 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

You again, keep claiming they are wrong and you are right.

False , so you can go now
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2015-02-08 13:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Nevil Oscillator wrote:

Yep it is interesting because you don't need to worry about large weapons.

What does that have to with anything?

Larger sig radius makes you easier to hit with large weapons. So it is a worry.

In any event, the procurer is an excellent ship to tank with buffer if you want to mine and not worry about being ganked. To gank that a tanked procurer will cost a lot more than what it is worth. The skiff as well.

Take note though that those ship have been ganked before belonging to people that makes themselves a nuisance.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Nevil Oscillator
#19 - 2015-02-08 13:43:05 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:

That is answering your own question but does it make them easier to hit or just increase the damage if you hit them ?
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2015-02-08 13:47:01 UTC
Nevil Oscillator wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:

That is answering your own question but does it make them easier to hit or just increase the damage if you hit them ?

2 sides of the same coin. You know full well that in EVE being easier to hit means you can apply damage better.

Also you are starting to go into that region of idiocy that got all your other threads locked.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

12Next page