These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fix for Ishtars online

Author
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#181 - 2015-02-06 18:04:24 UTC
Syn Shi wrote:
Nolak Ataru wrote:
Today I Learned: Advocating for sensible change instead of constant whining to mommy = angry.

If you take sentries from sub-BS ships like Ishtars and Vexors, you'd better be willing to give them a buff to their other types of drones, and you'd better believe that they will swap instantly to those types. Gilas + Hammerheads already do 800+ DPS and can push 100k EHP, imagine if that becomes more mainstream.

If the Ishtar is OP and needs a nerf I fully expect the Worm and Gila to get the same treatment.

Agreed, we'll prevent both of these ships from using sentries because they are not BS. (It's good to have another voice on my side)
Luna Arindale
Caldari Independent Navy Reserve
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#182 - 2015-02-06 18:22:19 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Syn Shi wrote:
Nolak Ataru wrote:
Today I Learned: Advocating for sensible change instead of constant whining to mommy = angry.

If you take sentries from sub-BS ships like Ishtars and Vexors, you'd better be willing to give them a buff to their other types of drones, and you'd better believe that they will swap instantly to those types. Gilas + Hammerheads already do 800+ DPS and can push 100k EHP, imagine if that becomes more mainstream.

If the Ishtar is OP and needs a nerf I fully expect the Worm and Gila to get the same treatment.

Agreed, we'll prevent both of these ships from using sentries because they are not BS. (It's good to have another voice on my side)

i can't tell if you both understand that there are more OP pirate ships in this game and that the Gila and the worm both can lose 50% of its dps just by killing one drone. I mean, there exists a pirate faction with 30k scram range... Not to mention your using them wrong if you use sentries in them lol...
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#183 - 2015-02-06 18:28:03 UTC
Nolak Ataru wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

Nope they don't. There are quite a few battleships that strongly disagree with a sentry nerf. They wouldn't even mind a drone control range increase.

Carrier blobs and massed domi fleets would not agree with you. At the very least the sentries need to go from sub battlrships, the ishtar itself requires no nerfs as it is the sentries that break it.

I wonder what you'd have to say if CCP were to move to nerf large Railguns, or the Megathron hull.....

Difference being that rails and the mega are not overpowered.

Josef Djugashvilis
#184 - 2015-02-06 18:54:49 UTC
It ain't broke so there is no need to fix it.

This is not a signature.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#185 - 2015-02-06 19:00:40 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
-1 for a bare sketch of an idea, -1 for not searching to find the other 999 Ishtar threads, -1 for the "make them totally useless" suggestion.

And -10 for laziness.

Actually I think Ishtars would still be overpowered with that change, but yes it would screw up all of the other cruiser drone boats: Vexor, VNI, Arbitrator, Thorax, Omen, Sacrilege.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#186 - 2015-02-06 19:35:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
-1 for a bare sketch of an idea, -1 for not searching to find the other 999 Ishtar threads, -1 for the "make them totally useless" suggestion.

And -10 for laziness.

Actually I think Ishtars would still be overpowered with that change, but yes it would screw up all of the other cruiser drone boats: Vexor, VNI, Arbitrator, Thorax, Omen, Sacrilege.

Because the drone operation range bonus, and the sentry bonuses are just SO useful when using lights->heavies. And the lights and mediums don't even get the velocity and tracking bonus of the heavies.

I don't know about you, but I can count on the fingers of a quadruple amputee the number of times I have been scared of a heavy drone using Ishtar at 50+ KM.

And on the fingers of my one handed, three fingered high school shop teacher the number of times I have been scared of a close range brawling Ishtar.

Edit: given that the VNI's velocity and tracking bonuses apply to smalls and mediums as well as heavies, it would be in a far better position after sentry removal than the Ishtar.
Nolak Ataru
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#187 - 2015-02-06 20:48:20 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

(Holy **** a response!)
Define "overpowered" please. I only skimmed the article on the "day of 1000 megathrons", but from what I've heard, the Baltec fleet is the new sub-cap meta for engagements.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#188 - 2015-02-06 20:53:27 UTC
Nolak Ataru wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

(Holy **** a response!)
Define "overpowered" please. I only skimmed the article on the "day of 1000 megathrons", but from what I've heard, the Baltec fleet is the new sub-cap meta for engagements.

Your info is a tad out of date, we retired them some time ago. Ishtars do most of the leg work, domi fleet are the hammer and boot fleet is godmode. All of them use sentries because they are hilariously overpowered.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#189 - 2015-02-06 22:15:33 UTC
I still missing the point, where is the problem?

Ishtar goes wrong or
Sentries go wrong or
Sentries on Ishtar go wrong or
Nothing is wrong with Ishtar and Sentries and all what we are doing is discussing an awsome ship (pocket size domi) which does it job just perfectly well.
And people go lazy and prefer shitposting vs. findva solid countetweapon against lil ishtars...

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#190 - 2015-02-07 00:22:23 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nolak Ataru wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

(Holy **** a response!)

Your info is a tad out of date, we retired them some time ago. Ishtars do most of the leg work, domi fleet are the hammer and boot fleet is godmode. All of them use sentries because they are hilariously overpowered.

This man speaks the truth!
Nolak Ataru
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#191 - 2015-02-07 01:10:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nolak Ataru wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

(Holy **** a response!)

Are sentries used simply because they're considered overpowered, or is there a "ease of use" to them that makes them good choices? From the article, ease of use trumps power quite often for larger engagements.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#192 - 2015-02-07 02:39:25 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
So, when you've successfully nerfed Ishtars into oblivion, are you going to then beg for nerfs to whatever takes its place as the OP hull of choice? And when that hull goes the way of the drake, are you going to protest the next FOTM hull? When does it stop?
I would really like an honest answer to these questions from OP.
When ships are actually balanced?
EVE doesn't have a lot of incomparable mechanics.

It would take effort but they can make tools that "fit" ships and weigh up the max damage, tanks and such they can do; then tweak them relative to the others.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#193 - 2015-02-07 02:41:32 UTC
CCP has done the ballsy thing with recons lately, where all ships were brought up to the level of the falcon. Perhaps they'll do something similar with HACs to become as popular as the Ishtar. Or so I can dream.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#194 - 2015-02-07 02:47:33 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
CCP has done the ballsy thing with recons lately, where all ships were brought up to the level of the falcon. Perhaps they'll do something similar with HACs to become as popular as the Ishtar. Or so I can dream.
... and so the power continues to creep up on frigates, destroyers and cruisers and down on others?

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#195 - 2015-02-07 03:56:09 UTC
it's just a game balance strategy. Through testing, if you find one item outperforms all others, the strategy is to nerf the OP thing by a bit, and bring everything else up to meet it.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#196 - 2015-02-07 04:28:32 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Rattlesnakes could have a rebuff to sentries to complement the sentry nerf, to preserve its role as a sentry boat.

As for Fozzie and current game design, it's time he works for Riot, I think.

And btw, lowsec PVP and drones... you mean to tell me you use sentries for your ships, and not fighters?

To deal with these in order so as not to confuse.

So they buff the snake to compensate what happens to the Domi twins?
Answer, either they are left in a nearly useless state or CCP has to take another swing at a rebalance all of which opens up multiple chances for the next OP ship to step up and take over from the Ishtar.
And all of this rebalance crap still would not address the simple fact that your changes would cripple or even destroy the Ishtar for many of the PvE roles it is used for. I wonder how you justify that when there are less drastic measures that could be tried first?

Fozzie is as Fozzie does and there is nothing that we can do about that. Beside laying all of this on Fozzie is short sighted and no doubt ignores the reality of the situation. Unless you think that everyone at CCP is so stupid and gullible that they will blindly follow where ever Fozzie leads no matter how bad it is. Personally I am sure that Fozzie and his ideas are reasonably well looked after and I think it is safe to say that if a majority of the folks at CCP thought one of his ideas was bad for the game we would not see it on TQ.

I was not aware that sub-cap ships were allowed to equip fighters simply because they are in low sec, wondering when this change happened and why it was not in the patch notes. Or was I having a Rip Van Winkle moment and slept through that part of class? No it must be a senior moment and I simply forgot that I read all about it, yeah that must be it.Big smile

With the moment of personal levity aside this comment does go a long ways to explain why you are having so many problems with the Ishtar and sentries. I mention low sec and fights and your mind immediately goes to carriers and why are these idiots not using fighters. This indicates a rather "stuck in a rut:" pattern on how to address problems and since the Ishtar / sentry is a very unique combination it takes an equally unique solution. These types of unique solutions do not often occur to those who have their minds stuck in a rut of what they have always done, and even if they do they quite often dismiss them because they do not fit into the pre-defined realm of what has worked in the past..

I said this before in a post, to handle the Ishtar think LONG range, or up close and personal.
We use cruise missile, artillery and even the Rattlesnake with fits that can hit from 100k to 150k out and go after the drones, works like a champ. Or we use hard tanked fast attack and get in so close and so fast that the sentries cannot track and hit.
In a particularity interesting twist we even use ships like the Tristan and Ishkur and use drones to kill drones it is all rather hysterical. Set yourself free, let your imagination run wild and I bet you will easily find a unique solution that works for the unique problem they call the Ishtar.

Looking back all of this noise about the Ishtar is quite like the arguments we heard about nerfs needed to the Domi when it came out of the balance pass. My how history seem to repeat itself.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#197 - 2015-02-07 04:56:55 UTC
Nolak Ataru wrote:

Are sentries used simply because they're considered overpowered, or is there a "ease of use" to them that makes them good choices? From the article, ease of use trumps power quite often for larger engagements.

Rails are easier to use as you simply click and they fire plus they move with your ship, sentries need to be deployed and kept in range. We use them because they can blap everything from frigates to capitals with battleship level firepower all while abusing the sig and speed of a HAC. Sentries are simply overpowered, hence why we are abusing them so much.
Syn Shi
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#198 - 2015-02-07 06:21:45 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nolak Ataru wrote:

Rails are easier to use as you simply click and they fire plus they move with your ship, sentries need to be deployed and kept in range. We use them because they can blap everything from frigates to capitals with battleship level firepower all while abusing the sig and speed of a HAC. Sentries are simply overpowered, hence why we are abusing them so much.

Pick any ship and blob the hell out of anyone and that ship would look OP as well.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#199 - 2015-02-07 06:46:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Quote:
Fozzie is as Fozzie does and there is nothing that we can do about that. Beside laying all of this on Fozzie is short sighted and no doubt ignores the reality of the situation. Unless you think that everyone at CCP is so stupid and gullible that they will blindly follow where ever Fozzie leads no matter how bad it is. Personally I am sure that Fozzie and his ideas are reasonably well looked after and I think it is safe to say that if a majority of the folks at CCP thought one of his ideas was bad for the game we would not see it on TQ.

I suspect Fozzie's ideas and their validation is based on broad statistics. To put it simply, they're out of touch. Even if that's not true, changes are slow.

Quote:
I was not aware that sub-cap ships were allowed to equip fighters simply because they are in low sec, wondering when this change happened and why it was not in the patch notes. Or was I having a Rip Van Winkle moment and slept through that part of class? No it must be a senior moment and I simply forgot that I read all about it, yeah that must be it.

Subcaps get fighters delegated from carriers. Fighter delegation and carrier support is endemic to lowsec PVP.

Quote:
Hey Rain, I've never gone out with sentry Ishtars in Null. Can you tell me how easy they are to use?

You can manually triple box them while running a covops scout and keep up with the fleet just fine.

You don't know how good the Ishtar has it until you find yourself on a non-Ishtar fleet that grinds to a halt because everyone is running out of ammo.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#200 - 2015-02-07 08:39:23 UTC
Syn Shi wrote:

Pick any ship and blob the hell out of anyone and that ship would look OP as well.

Wrong. Maelstroms, megathrons, apocs, tempest fleet issues, rattlesnakes, zealots, harpies, hawks, interceptors, celestisesseses and dreads to name but a few are popular or have been popular choices but were never considered overpowered.

Tengus are overpowered. Drakes and tracking titans were overpowered. The sentry ishtar is overpowered because the damn thing gets used everywhere from ratting in dek to small gang roaming in low sec to fleet doctrines in sov lag parties.