These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

DRONE UI revamp (mock-up image)

Author
Burhtun
Burhtun Shipyards
#41 - 2015-02-03 22:33:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Burhtun
IHaveTenFingers wrote:

* Based on the current layout of the in-flight UI, we'd probably need another hotkey group to actually allow this since some of the larger drone boats will simply be out of space. Fortunately, there's plenty of room to the left of the UI - even on the lowest resolution, - where you could throw passive modules or stuff that you really don't need hotkeyed.

That is an interesting idea... They could call them Auxillary Slots or something.

IHaveTenFingers wrote:

* This looks a little complicated and might go against CCP's trend of streamlining things. I rather like what you've done, since it's all very clean and compact. Having to learn a little added complexity will almost certainly be worth it in the long run, and I hope others would agree.

It is complicated I agree. Some of the complexity is coming from my continued desire to have it all function without the use of the drone list window, if the pilot prefers. Otherwise it could be pretty simple - Enable drone modules to gain F1-F5 use, and use standard drone list to launch/recall drones.

Serendipity Lost wrote:

Using "I want to make my sentry ishtar more efficient" is probably a bad way to start. There are like a zillion nerf the ishtar threads all over the internet. (my wife found a NERF ISHTAR thread in her body painting forum - it's that bad)

The general concensus is the ishtar doesn't need to be better in any way.

I don't think individual control of sentries via modules would buff the Ishtar's PvP application at all. In PvP you generally want to focus fire. This proposal is more beneficial to PvE where you have to deal with hordes of paper thin rats. It brings the Ishtar up to par with missile and gun boats when it comes to the health of your hands.

Serendipity Lost wrote:

That being said, the function should have a use/don't use toggle.

It does, the enable/disable drone modules in the drone list options, in the latest version of the mockup.

Raven644 wrote:

The avarage damage for damaged drones is a good solution and if you go with mouse over it (with a adjustable time delay) can displays them solo or something.

It is actually the most damaged drone that is displayed. I think that would be most beneficial. But a pop-up of some sort showing the health of all of them would work well. Currently I was wanting to have the radial menu display itself when you mouse-over though. Perhaps that could change to a click-and-hold like all other radial menus in game. I just don't particularly like clicking and holding. Maybe click-and-hold could give you an overview of all drones in the stack. And when you mouse over one of them you get a radial menu to issue individual commands to it.

Of course the simplest solution to see the health of all drones if you are not using the drone list window is to just unstack the drones for a second. Then recall the badly damaged ones and restack.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2015-02-03 22:41:48 UTC
+1 just for the mockup. But good plans overall, very nice.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Stefan Silviu
EVE-RO
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2015-02-03 22:57:46 UTC
nice
+1
Siloxis
Seniorenresidenz
#44 - 2015-02-03 22:58:25 UTC
I would kill for such a drone ui.

defenetly +1 from me for this idea!
Sha'Kor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2015-02-05 08:30:32 UTC
+1

Very interesting idea and the mockup... Niiice

CCP you seeing this? Big smile
Claud Tiberius
#46 - 2015-02-05 12:53:03 UTC
Excellent idea. Why didn't someone think of this earlier? Big smile

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Aeril Malkyre
Knights of the Ouroboros
#47 - 2015-02-05 16:34:27 UTC
47th'd. This is amazingly well done, +1. Let's get this in game.
Burhtun
Burhtun Shipyards
#48 - 2015-02-05 22:16:47 UTC
Edited the latest version of the mockup. Simplified some stuff, and added in some new suggestions and ideas. Pretty happy with it now. I can see why CCP has not yet tried to give us this sort of control over drones, they are a bit more complex than guns and missiles. I think this would work well though. At the very least I hope we can have F1-F5 control over drones, one day, somehow.
Erika Mizune
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#49 - 2015-02-06 03:25:34 UTC
Damn, very nice images there, and yes I agree, this would be useful!

+1 from me here, I would love to see this.

Former DJ & Manager of Eve Radio | Blog | Sounds of New Eden | Twitch | Twitter

Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#50 - 2015-02-06 08:56:48 UTC
+1 from me as well.
Alphax45
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2015-02-06 18:40:34 UTC
CCPlease!
titan Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2015-02-06 21:01:49 UTC
Could we get a red border around the icon when the drones are engaging?
Nywen
The Reynard Project
#53 - 2015-02-06 21:45:16 UTC
Would also love to see this, and not just because I was trying to suggest something similar three years ago...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=904970#post904970
Burhtun
Burhtun Shipyards
#54 - 2015-02-06 22:17:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Burhtun
Nywen wrote:
Would also love to see this, and not just because I was trying to suggest something similar three years ago...
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=904970#post904970

Cool. I've wanted this for a while too. I still have an earlier attempt at the mockup, back when the Gila had different bonuses, a different model, and we couldn't drag drones out of the drone list. :P

titan Maricadie wrote:
Could we get a red border around the icon when the drones are engaging?

Yeah, there would need to be at least 3 animated overlays to let you know what the drones are doing - idle/orbiting, returning, or attacking. I forgot to mention that in the most recent version of the mockup.

I was thinking something like... a fast red border moving around the module clockwise when attacking. A slow cyan or yellow border moving around clockwise when idle/orbiting. And the existing gray counterclockwise reload timer when returning.

Edit: Went ahead and updated the mockup with some basic status overlays showing what the drone is doing. Could probably be better but... meh, it gets the point across.
Dyllan Ma'tar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2015-02-07 06:31:33 UTC
I'd be good if I could just launch them with a hotkey.
Arla Sarain
#56 - 2015-02-07 09:16:01 UTC
That is amazing. A bit dodgy but it would definitely be worth pursuing for CCP.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#57 - 2015-02-07 09:22:10 UTC
Just one thing how does that scale as you get more drones and how do you choose which drones to use ?

Because carrier can have as much as 15 fighters and 100's of drones in it's bay.

Other then that I love the idea.
Mr Ketoclysm
Perkone
Caldari State
#58 - 2015-02-07 10:15:39 UTC
This is super cool, but more than that we need hot key to launch drone group. It is really annoying even with this UI concept to always find the right drone group right click/drag to space and hit F. You can leave drone UI out if I could hit F1 (or whatever key I have set default for drone group) and launch my drones. If this could be added to this mockup it would be super dope.
Jon Dekker
Dekker Corporation
#59 - 2015-02-07 10:42:33 UTC
These are some great ideas. The fewer the spreadsheets, the better!
Sohl Ni-Zha
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2015-02-07 19:36:29 UTC
Excellent one!

delivering. drugs.  IG channel: Narcotics

Previous page123