These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

"Lapatus" Titan's : Brainstorming expanded lore on these?

First post
Author
Solanus Aurae
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-01-27 00:03:03 UTC
I've been playing EvE for years and never realized that the early Titan chronicle isn't actually referring to the Titans we know of in game currently. I'm rather surprised there is so little lore on these. I'd love to know more regarding their size and dimensions; geeking out on this stuff is great fun.

I understand these were initially called "Empire Titans" in which only a few of each empire actually owns given the immense resources required to construct them. Thus, what from what I've dug up, though I'm unsure if actually cannon, current Titans are classified as "Prometheon" Titans; smaller and less resource intensive to build while having most of the benefit of their larger predecessors, such as Jump Bridging/Dooms Days and acting as fleet flagships, albeit with significantly reduced defence and firepower.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Titans_(Chronicle)

I initially figured this Chronicle was depicting the "early" Jove based Titan, but apparently, this is actually the Caldari "Omnya" Class. Very little is known about it.

There was also an event pre-Titan introduction in game that had players aiding in the recapture (attempted) of the Gallente "Lapatus" Titan which was stolen by the Serpentis.

I figure these ships could possible be nearly 50+ KM long, but I could either be going overboard, given current Titans have an average length of 16KM.

My OCD on not know this pointless information is keeping me awake at night! (alright.. not really. But still!)

I'd be super happy if CCP could drop by and give some hastily-made "facts" about these beasts, if only to help me sleep at night!

<3

Eojek
Starlight Moly
#2 - 2015-01-27 03:30:57 UTC
Considering the wealth and upcoming features, a Titan as this chronicle describes would not be uncalled for. A two year long project for a player power-block is not too far fetched. Each component would take as long as a T1 titan itself, and there are several thousand to complete. It could remotely jump without the need of a stargate or cyano and requires 3 people to pilot.
Solanus Aurae
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2015-01-27 04:43:31 UTC
That's definitely an interesting concept for in game use, though I was refering to just lore based info. :)

This would probably just give CCP more headaches as far as capital balance and power projection if actually implemented in any form in game, imho.
VTyx Soul
Station Window Lickers
#4 - 2015-01-27 09:13:14 UTC  |  Edited by: VTyx Soul
Few people realise this, most are shocked when I mention the two types of titans and the history behind them. In recent lore however both caldari and gallente forces deployed the Titans during operations a few years ago.

http://aurora-arcology.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-empire-titans-bigger-is-better.html
CCP Falcon
#5 - 2015-02-02 16:42:11 UTC
Fun fact:

During Operation Highlander, the Federation Navy had its entire capital group of Soltueur-class titans on standby as a last resort to provide fire support to the fleet that challenged CN Shiigeru in orbit of Caldari Prime.

Thankfully they weren't called into service, as the results would have been catastrophic for Caldari Prime.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#6 - 2015-02-02 16:54:02 UTC
I just hope that you guys let the Arts Team do some Concept Art for them... I would love to see what the Amarr Emperor-Class TItans would look like if it was ever modelled :P

"For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found." - Father Grigori, Ravens 3:57

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#7 - 2015-02-03 10:08:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
CCP Falcon wrote:
Fun fact:

During Operation Highlander, the Federation Navy had its entire capital group of Soltueur-class titans on standby as a last resort to provide fire support to the fleet that challenged CN Shiigeru in orbit of Caldari Prime.

Thankfully they weren't called into service, as the results would have been catastrophic for Caldari Prime.

I'm SO going to include this in the article!

Looks like the Federation was planning to go all out on the CN Shiigeru's removal, while the State wasn't prepared for such all-out assault on their Titan.
Makes the Caldari stand on Caldari Prime all the more impressive tho!

Edit: The article I wrote about the Iapetan Titans (linked above by VTyx Soul) is a result of all the data/lore I could dig up, some of it very ancient & conflicting.

Some of the conflicts:

Looks of the Amarr Titans: The Khanid chronicle image, while unclear shows a different looking Imud Hubrau than the models that were temporary in the game. I explained it away as the difference between the older & newer versions of the Iapetan Titans. (not unreasonable for the largest & oldest nation of the 4 main factions)

Regarding the Emperor ship, some mention it as the first of the Imud Hubrau titans, other claim it's a class of it's own. Whatever the truth may be, it's probably a unique ship, if not by class, then by design & technology incorporated as it's supposed to be flown by the Emperor/Empress herself, so it better be the top of what the Amarr Empire has to offer on offensive & defensive capacities.

Minmatar Republic & Iapetan Titans: unclear if they have any (reason it's so ambiguous in the article) some sources mention they built a few, others say they knew right from the start it was too resource-intensive. Thukkers do have them, it's part of their mobile lifestyle, colossal moving cities in space! (in this light, it's likely that any Minmatar Republic built Iapetan titan looks different, if they have any, as their Iapetan tech was shared by Gallente)
Also, I suspect, if the Minmatar Iapetan Titan ever makes it into the game (again!) it'll be renamed, as it's name is identical to the Caldari promethean Titan

The Omnya, there exists practically no info about it, except it exists & Caldari have a few of m. The only mention of their capacities anywhere is a hard to find reference that they're equipped with short-range but extremely destructive weaponry, a very un-Caldari approach.

The Iapetan Titan sizes: not much can be found on it, save speculation, ranging from station sized to things that dwarf stations.. As long as CCP doesn't include the models in the game, I say, keep it like that, giving them room should they ever go for it.
Last note, the various Iapetan Titans used to have models in the game (the Omnya Titan being unfinished, hence I didn't use an ingame image of it, horribad texturing)
2 of the Titans also have been used ingame. The Minmatar one in a closing of Beta event, where people could interact with it (Shoot it! Yay!). And of course the Soltueur one, used in an large ingame event where Serpentis stole one and made off with it!

Closing note: the 'I' in Iapetan is a capital i not a lowercase l (L) does cause confusion, I know Blink

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2015-02-03 14:52:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Trii Seo
C'mon, screw kicking the balance of power over with more titans.

...but to break them out in a massive clash of independence vs. empire allegiance - damn one of those bad boys should've around to spice up the live event in Syndicate/Curse.

The ultimate show of force from the empires. The ultimate "*BLEEEP* YOU, CONCORD!" from those who dislike them when they fall. The final word when it comes to making a looter/salvager's pants full.

And, before the inevitable is said: "You can't take an Empire Titan on, it has like a hundred million hitpoints! It has 99,9% native resists across the board! It hull tanks like a man! It can overheat indefinitely, and can sequence-fire the doomsday without a cooldown! It's blap fit like the titans of old, and its capacitor is blessed by the gods to never run out!" I shall reply to that:

Challenge.
Accepted.

No seriously, if the art team actually did redesign them and models do exist - those things should definitely hit the field at some point. I guess we shall do our finest to make the angry CONCORD guy angrier, and empires angry along with them. Challenge, once more, accepted.

To start it all, let's start a glorious revolution. Viva la revolution!

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#9 - 2015-02-03 15:48:40 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:
The ultimate "*BLEEEP* YOU, CONCORD!"
Screaming "Fornicate The Constabulatory" from the ruins of your ship as concord pimp slaps you down would cause me (and probably CCP) much enjoyment ;)

"For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found." - Father Grigori, Ravens 3:57

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2015-02-03 18:23:44 UTC
Arline Kley wrote:
Trii Seo wrote:
The ultimate "*BLEEEP* YOU, CONCORD!"
Screaming "Fornicate The Constabulatory" from the ruins of your ship as concord pimp slaps you down would cause me (and probably CCP) much enjoyment ;)

Na, you do that when the other side explodes and you just want to drive home how thunderous your asskicking was.

If you lose, you keep it quiet or run off laughing due to how hilarious the entire thing was.

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#11 - 2015-02-03 22:38:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
Fun note, these titans were in the game before the release of the capsuleer titans. However, oddities between the chronicles of the titans of old & the capacities of the Capsuleer titans made CCP realize they couldn't be one & the same, hence : huge Iapetan Titans for the empires & smaller Promethean Titans for capsuleers & empires.

Not sure if we'll ever see these ingame. Then again, CCP is about to dump some huge structure into New Eden, the Jove observation (?) stations, so who knows?

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2015-02-04 00:57:52 UTC
We shall formulate a plan to convince CCP to include them. Then, we can steal one and make it a flagship for our glorious revolution.

Those who have proven and certified iron liver and high charisma stat (+5s helpful!) please kindly x up.

Viva la revolution!

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2015-02-04 13:43:17 UTC
Arline Kley wrote:
I just hope that you guys let the Arts Team do some Concept Art for them... I would love to see what the Amarr Emperor-Class TItans would look like if it was ever modelled :P

hoenstly, CCP needs to get the lore and art teams locked into a room together, get them REALLY DRUNK, and then pay them to just write/illustrate lore for a month or two

see what kind of over the top, whacky, 40k-esque lore additions we get out of that

yes the results WILL be stupid

but you gotta admit youd read whatever they made, if only for lulz
Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#14 - 2015-02-05 08:32:47 UTC
Considering that these ships are rare, I think some element of "fantasy" would be appropriate...

"Hey did you hear about the Imud Hubrau? It can strip a mans soul from him if he has heretical thoughts!"

Soren Tyrhanos
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#15 - 2015-02-09 03:03:57 UTC
Arline Kley wrote:
Considering that these ships are rare, I think some element of "fantasy" would be appropriate...

"Hey did you hear about the Imud Hubrau? It can strip a mans soul from him if he has heretical thoughts!"

So powerful it cleanses the entire cluster merely by uncloaking.
Quattras Peione
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2015-02-11 02:32:33 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:
We shall formulate a plan to convince CCP to include them. Then, we can steal one and make it a flagship for our glorious revolution.

Those who have proven and certified iron liver and high charisma stat (+5s helpful!) please kindly x up.

Viva la revolution!

X

Also, +1

Dr. Quattras Alvar Peione

No, I'm not that kind of doctor.

CCP Falcon
#17 - 2015-02-14 19:52:25 UTC
Jandice Ymladris wrote:

Looks like the Federation was planning to go all out on the CN Shiigeru's removal, while the State wasn't prepared for such all-out assault on their Titan.

This is one of the things that made me *sigh* at the reaction of Caldari loyalist roleplayers to what happened in Luminaire when some started complaining that CCP hates the Caldari.

For Caldari forces to have even held on that long was a colossal statement about how powerful the Caldari Navy is, when the Federation threw endless firepower at them and it took several days, even after the loss of CN Shiigeru, to overpower Caldari forces.

Especially when you consider the Federation was scared enough to put so many vessels on standby as a second wave if the fight didn't go their way.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#18 - 2015-02-14 21:08:09 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Jandice Ymladris wrote:

This is one of the things that made me *sigh* at the reaction of Caldari loyalist roleplayers to what happened in Luminaire when some started complaining that CCP hates the Caldari.

For Caldari forces to have even held on that long was a colossal statement about how powerful the Caldari Navy is, when the Federation threw endless firepower at them and it took several days, even after the loss of CN Shiigeru, to overpower Caldari forces.

Especially when you consider the Federation was scared enough to put so many vessels on standby as a second wave if the fight didn't go their way.

To be fair, and speaking as someone who fought as a Caldari loyalist at Highlander, I would say that a lot of frustration came from the fact that the Caldari Prime event was sold to us as a battle in which players would decide the outcome. This wasn't the case (except for a rather limited interpretation of "outcome"): it became pretty clear in the days following that Federation was always intended to win the battle, and the battle played out accordingly. Which, if that's the way the story had to play out (and I think it probably was), then so be it—but I personally found the advertised role of the players to be a little disingenuous, and I think that's a fair criticism.
Alexander McKeon
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-02-15 17:41:17 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Well, considering the terrible taste in tank mods which NPC supercaps have displayed in the past, combined with the lack of an appropriate slowmera/Wyvern fleet to support it, it does seem as though the Caldari Navy was setup to fail. P
Naava Edios
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#20 - 2015-02-25 13:36:45 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Jandice Ymladris wrote:

*Sigh* I was at work during said event like I am for 90% of every event, And I just ignore most of those people Falcon :) It's been working great for me.
12Next page