These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Activities effect training time..

First post
Author
Twitch Seilus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-02-01 23:19:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Twitch Seilus
Why not have it so training for a skill is accelerated (slightly) while the player is doing an activity that is relevant to the skill that is currently being trained...

Simple example mining..
If the player is training for a mining skill, he gets a small bump in the attribute that effects training time for that skill. +2 willpower or whatever.. When he is mining or piloting a mining ship..

Not a huge impact like cutting it in half or anything, but a little something to reflect "on the job training"

Makes sense that a person will learn a skill faster by practicing at it vs sitting in a station.

Seems like a sensible idea in my mind.

Probably some skills wouldn't /couldn't be effected this way, but many could.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2015-02-01 23:24:34 UTC
No. Unlike other games everyone is treated equally when it comes to getting SP so that people who cannot play 14 hours a day every day don't get left behind.
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#3 - 2015-02-01 23:25:14 UTC
Currently the skill training system is reasonably fair, equitable and cannot be gamed (as far as I know) while not discriminating against those with less time to play which your proposal I'm afraid to say does appear to.

Not supported.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Twitch Seilus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-02-01 23:36:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Twitch Seilus
Well that's why I didn't suggest a huge bonus to it, just very minor. I was thinking more about sensibility than "fairness"

It makes sense that practicing a skill would a accelerate its being mastered.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2015-02-01 23:46:07 UTC
Two alts in highsec start a duel and orbit one another firing lasers that don't do enough to break thier cap stable active tanks.

They do this from downtime to downtime, while the player is totally AFK. They, of course, receive boosts to a range of skills.

This is bad.
Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-02-01 23:48:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmer Jones
Twitch Seilus wrote:
Well that's why I didn't suggest a huge bonus to it, just very minor. I was thinking more about sensibility than "fairness"

Not if you are practicing bad habits, that negative skill reinforcement there. I counter that it should take longer if you are doing the activity because you have not mastered it yet. So because you don't have that fine touch yet with your exhumer, your skill being less than 5, you're training bad habits, and your skill multiplier goes up. Imagine how long it would take to get titan 5 if you pre-emptively bought a titan and sat in it.

bad thought experiment aside, no -1. Level playing field and all that

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

Twitch Seilus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-02-01 23:53:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Twitch Seilus
Zimmer Jones wrote:
Twitch Seilus wrote:

Not if you are practicing bad habits, that negative skill reinforcement there. I counter that it should take longer if you are doing the activity because you have not mastered it yet. So because you don't have that fine touch yet with your exhumer, your skill being less than 5, you're training bad habits, and your skill multiplier goes up. Imagine how long it would take to get titan 5 if you pre-emptively bought a titan and sat in it.

bad thought experiment aside, no -1. Level playing field and all that

Success is built of lessons from mistakes..

You ever take wood shop?
Teacher knew what he was doing yea?

How many fingers did he have?Lol

Your over thinking it, its practice..

You are training combat skills
Would you learn combat faster by doing combat as well as training for it, or by only training

Like doing lab day in school, except in space, with guns..

Your training to use large hybrid turrets
so you are running missions and using medium hybrid turrets.. its smaller brother.. by doing this your education on the larger is improved (read sped up) by your practice and familiarity with the smaller..

I have a cruising sailboat, its my 5th sailboat, my fist was a 14' hobie wave, I learned to sail on that.. the bigger cruiser is a different animal, but its still a sailboat and all of the things about sailing I learned on the small boat apply to one degree or another to the larger boat.

EDIT: Keep in my the effect, im talking a SMALL difference, just enough to make it slightly worth it, but not enough to be exploitable in any meaningful way..

Like the silly example of 2 guys fighting all day to exploit the feature, their effort might save them 2 days off of a 20 day training time.. not hardly enough to go out of your way to try and exploit.

And so what if someone wants to go sit in their mining barge AFK all day to.... wait people already do that.

I cant help but detect a bit of "I had to wait x amount of time so everyone else should too"
I can understand that, people spend LOTS of time waiting on skills, so its naturally annoying when someone tries to "shortcut" the agonizing process they had to go though. to "earn" (by doing literally nothing) the skills they have.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-02-02 00:16:52 UTC
Twitch, this idea is sunk further than the Titanic.

If there's a few things that can be generalized as nearly the entire EVE playerbase agreeing on, it's the following.

1: No buying SP.
2: No SP bonuses to people who log on as compared to not being online.
3: No PLEX for remaps.
4: No allowing desubbed chars to purchase SP for their lost time.
5: No FTP accounts that gain SP.
6 No reduced cost subscriptions where you can only train skills and not undock.

If it involves SP, and accumulating it faster other than ingame implants + waiting, it's just going to die in a fire of people going "no"

I have seen idea quite similar to yours posted at least a dozen times before, and the answer in each and every case was a massive, undiluted "No, hell no, **** that with a rake!"
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#9 - 2015-02-02 00:23:49 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Danika Princip wrote:
Two alts in highsec start a duel and orbit one another firing lasers that don't do enough to break thier cap stable active tanks.

They do this from downtime to downtime, while the player is totally AFK. They, of course, receive boosts to a range of skills.

This is bad.

^^ This.

If the stories I was told by some older vets are true... the system you are proposing OP was once a part of the game in its infancy. It was quickly removed.

Plus... such bonuses encourage "grinding" behavior for all the wrong reasons. Instead of doing what you want to do (towards the goal you want to achieve)... you do something that merely advances your skills.
At the same time... this system does no reward those players who perform tasks that require no "in-game" skills (i.e. diplomacy with other players, managing the hanger, accounting, scouting, spying, propaganda, etc).

As for the excuse of "people don't have to do it, it is not mandatory and the bonus is so small"...

Bear in mind that you are playing a game where people...
- will pay hundreds of millions (even billions) of ISK for that extra 2% in the form of implants...
- combat can be won or lost by mere percentages...
- people will spend years earning the trust of others for the possible opportunity of stealing everything his/her peers own...
- market/industrial moguls spend hours upon hours tinkering their spreadsheets and database pulls to see where they can make 1+% profit margins from billion or trillion ISK speculative investments.
- people will PvE, mine, haul, and/or build for days on end just to make a few extra million more than everyone else... for no other reason than "just cause."

If a system that offers tangible (and permanent) rewards is introduced... it stops being optional.

Quote:
I can understand that, people spend LOTS of time waiting on skills, so its naturally annoying when someone tries to "shortcut" the agonizing process they had to go though. to "earn" (by doing literally nothing) the skills they have.

I apologize for sounding so harsh... but people who "wait on their skills" before doing something are idiots.

The point of the skill system as it is, is to...
- force you to "be creative" to compensate for your lacking abilities (because even at "max skills" you will still suck if you lack the capacity to problem solve)
- encourage you to team up with other players who already have those skills trained. You offer your willingness to do the "dirty work" and cut the other player in, the other person offers to be your crutch. Thus, player interaction has begun.

There are no "shortcuts" through EVE's skill system except through other players. Which is the whole intent of the game.
Twitch Seilus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-02-02 00:44:54 UTC
Good arguments

I think I tend to agree, it would cause more issues than its novel benefit would make up for.

Ok, my mind is changed, I feel enlightened..
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#11 - 2015-02-02 02:10:46 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
No. Unlike other games everyone is treated equally when it comes to getting SP so that people who cannot play 14 hours a day every day don't get left behind.

Well more to the point the game is pvp centric and having your players progress based on activity levels would cause the larger or more active groups to quickly gain an unstoppable advantage due to reaching milestones much earlier than opponents.

So the focus of the game would switch from highly paranoid and elitist organisations who do place value in capital pilots to a degree to this degenerative wow-guild where "membership" is a very nebulous term and it doesn't really matter who you have in your group so long as they're a NEET and play all day every day.

Tangentially everyone with bots would be able to farm high sp characters and devalue that resource as well.

The issue of getting people to play more has much more to do with the activities available than it does to do the players. I could write up a 5-post long treatise on why this is the case but just like how I haven't logged in for 2 weeks and have a 411day long training queue I really don't see any pressing need to do so as the limitations of my personal progress is entirely that. A player who doesn't log in causes very little change while someone grinding sp through L4s would do much more and for all the wrong reasons.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#12 - 2015-02-02 05:23:46 UTC
Twitch Seilus wrote:
Good arguments

I think I tend to agree, it would cause more issues than its novel benefit would make up for.

Ok, my mind is changed, I feel enlightened..

I am glad that these folks were able to educate you and I am glad that you see why the idea was not so good.

But I do want to go back to part of your OP and that is a boost to your skills "because" you actually play the game.
The abilities of a character in this game are part based on the in game skills training and in part the training of the player because they are actually playing the game. Given an in game character with equal in game skills someone that plays the game will be able to do more with that character than a player who is not very active in the game. So in a very real way the thing you wanted to do with your OP is already happening.
ISD Atomic Dove
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#13 - 2015-02-02 06:01:48 UTC
Big smile This is why I love you guys.

Although this is a highly debated topic and controversial there is a great deal of maturity here.

I applaud you for a well thought out and civil discussion.

Nonetheless I will lock this thread to keep the warm fuzzy feeling even in a reposted thread.

Quote:

17. Redundant and re-posted threads will be locked.

As a courtesy to other forum users, please search to see if there is a thread already open on the topic you wish to discuss. If so, please place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forums needlessly, causing good feedback and ideas to be lost. Please keep discussions regarding a topic to a single thread.

ISD Atomic Dove

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department