These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Improved D-Scan

First post
Author
James Zimmer
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-02-01 15:02:21 UTC
I was sitting in a wormhole, mining some gas, hitting d-scan every 5 seconds or so to keep myself safe, and I realized: This sucks. It's apparently the distant future, but I can't make my ship's sensors work without periodically mashing a button. Also, it kind of sucks that when I find things, I have to slew my camera around wildly to aim my d-scan.

How about this instead: D-scan has a cycle time. The cycle time is influenced by the angle and range at which you set it, so a 360 degree scan at 14.3 AU takes much longer than a 5 degree scan at 1 AU. Also, the d-scan's aim is tied to a hotkey+click or right click in space or a on celestial. Sometimes you want to know what's at a particular planet without staring at it constantly. Generally, I think these changes would decrease the workload on the pilot, and generally make life better, without making d-scan a perfect, constant stream of intel.
Kaleen Khadath
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-02-01 16:01:44 UTC
Yep, totally agree.

Or, if you absolutely feel you must keep this medieval torture device, at least give us a hotkey we can bind. I get carpal tunnel when scanning in wormholes, from all the repetitive mouse wrist movement of hitting Analyze button (which also lacks a hotkey), and then mousing back to D-scan window to keep on spamming that.

CCP, please look outside. Look at the calendar on the wall. See how it says 2015? Get with the times. These controls were sad when Ultima Online was new.
Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#3 - 2015-02-01 16:03:47 UTC
It's absolutely ridiculous that there is no level of automation.

Somehow, after 11 years, Dscan still sucks.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#4 - 2015-02-01 16:06:15 UTC
improve your search skills

and no to d-scan automation d-scan is extremely powerful part of the balance is that when you can all you can be doing is scanning you then need to chose do i click scan or something else
Foxicity
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-02-01 16:19:25 UTC
I would support the creation of a hotkey, but no automation. A player's vigilance is what keeps them alive and removing that takes a human element out of the game.
FoxFire Ayderan
#6 - 2015-02-01 16:38:59 UTC

Yes I like it.

Why not? We aren't required to keep refreshing local to see who's in system. Though I imagine if we were, there would be those opposed to the idea of making that an automatic thing.

It would be much nicer if like local we could simply glance periodically at the D-scan window and see if anything new has popped up.

I also like the better aiming idea.
Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-02-01 16:49:39 UTC
Foxicity wrote:
I would support the creation of a hotkey, but no automation. A player's vigilance is what keeps them alive and removing that takes a human element out of the game.

A hot key is as far as i would go, change wise. Vigilance should be an atk activity.

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#8 - 2015-02-01 17:12:35 UTC
James Zimmer wrote:
I was sitting in a wormhole, mining some gas, hitting d-scan every 5 seconds or so to keep myself safe, and I realized: This sucks. It's apparently the distant future, but I can't make my ship's sensors work without periodically mashing a button. Also, it kind of sucks that when I find things, I have to slew my camera around wildly to aim my d-scan.

How about this instead: D-scan has a cycle time. The cycle time is influenced by the angle and range at which you set it, so a 360 degree scan at 14.3 AU takes much longer than a 5 degree scan at 1 AU. Also, the d-scan's aim is tied to a hotkey+click or right click in space or a on celestial. Sometimes you want to know what's at a particular planet without staring at it constantly. Generally, I think these changes would decrease the workload on the pilot, and generally make life better, without making d-scan a perfect, constant stream of intel.

You know what I do?

I have one of my buddies sitting close to me in a ship waiting to get a killmail.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

FoxFire Ayderan
#9 - 2015-02-01 17:12:46 UTC
Zimmer Jones wrote:
Foxicity wrote:

A hot key is as far as i would go, change wise. Vigilance should be an atk activity.

Well it still requires vigilance.

You can very easily ignore looking at local and seeing who has entered (or left) the system. I know I've done this, where I realize I haven't looked at local in the last 5 minutes or more. So you would still need to make sure that you do glance at the D-scan window frequently to see if anything new has come into range.
Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-02-01 17:43:50 UTC
FoxFire Ayderan wrote:
Zimmer Jones wrote:
Foxicity wrote:

Well it still requires vigilance.

You can very easily ignore looking at local and seeing who has entered (or left) the system. I know I've done this, where I realize I haven't looked at local in the last 5 minutes or more. So you would still need to make sure that you do glance at the D-scan window frequently to see if anything new has come into range.

Your memory problem is a feature, not a bug, and precisely what I was getting at. Operate your ship intelligently and you reduce the risk of dying stupidly. Local has nothing to do with it. If paying attention is not part of your routine, expect buying a new ship and implants to become a part of it.

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#11 - 2015-02-01 19:47:45 UTC
Thread locked.

The Rules:
17. Redundant and re-posted threads will be locked.

As a courtesy to other forum users, please search to see if there is a thread already open on the topic you wish to discuss.
If so, please place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forums needlessly, causing good feedback and ideas to be lost.
Please keep discussion regarding a topic to a single thread.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)