These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can we get back to New Eden characters instead of WoD clones?

First post
Author
Jace Errata
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2011-12-20 11:48:27 UTC
I personally prefer the new characters to what I've seen of the old ones...but I would like the ability to add cyber-widgets to my face.

tweeten

One day they woke me up so I could live forever

It's such a shame the same will never happen to you

Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#22 - 2011-12-20 11:52:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Ciar Meara
Thorn Galen wrote:
CCP Xhagen wrote:

But it sounds to me that you guys generally like the new creator but are asking for more distinct varieties between bloodlines and perhaps special stuff for each one. I'm fairly certain that can be accomplished more easily in the new character creator than it could be in the old. In fact, if I have understood the guys working on the new creator, the old one simply could not be developed further. It was one of the oldest piece of technology in the game (since 2002 or so) and was in dire need of a revamp.

For example the option of giving your character a new haircut or dress it differently simply didn't exist in the old character creator - only a full remodeling was available (for a price). And adding that functionality would probably have taken a longer time than writing up a new one.

I'll make sure that the people that are still working on avatar get this feedback.

Best statement I have read today. Italics are mine for emphasis.

Agreed on both counts.

And while I agree space ships vital for eve, continued development on all fronts should be encouraged. If you included avatars and Incarna in the sandbox to begin with a lot of bother could have been unbothered.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#23 - 2011-12-20 11:59:33 UTC
CCP Xhagen wrote:

But it sounds to me that you guys generally like the new creator but are asking for more distinct varieties between bloodlines and perhaps special stuff for each one. I'm fairly certain that can be accomplished more easily in the new character creator than it could be in the old. In fact, if I have understood the guys working on the new creator, the old one simply could not be developed further. It was one of the oldest piece of technology in the game (since 2002 or so) and was in dire need of a revamp.

For example the option of giving your character a new haircut or dress it differently simply didn't exist in the old character creator - only a full remodeling was available (for a price). And adding that functionality would probably have taken a longer time than writing up a new one.

I'll make sure that the people that are still working on avatar get this feedback.

PS - I'm so much cooler now than I was before Roll

We want options that look like they are not from the current time period, but actually scifi, and we also want some of the cultural distinctions between the races back. I would actually prefer them not being race specific in the sense, that only certain races can access them, but rather have race specific clothing sets. Like/inspired by the old amarr dress with antlers or flashy gallente dresses with see through plastic pieces. Those things look more EVE than almost anything you've managed to do with the new system so far. The new avatars look better, but the actual art style has become bland and boring in the clothing area.
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#24 - 2011-12-20 12:05:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Crumplecorn
CCP Xhagen wrote:
All I want is my old hair back:
[img]http://oldportraits.eveonline.com/Character/101287868_256.jpg[/img]

And my alt wants her plastic doohickery back:
[img]http://oldportraits.eveonline.com/Character/470836792_256.jpg[/img]

[img]http://image.eveonline.com/Character/470836792_256.jpg[/img]

But yes, in general the new character creator is a vast, vast improvement, except in that it is not letting us recreate what the old one gave us. In my case, I think my new face is a "just plain better" version of the old one; less cartoony, but still essentially the same. But the character creator doesn't have the old hairstyles? Only crappy new ones?
And for other players that applies to their entire look.

(also more color variety, my new alt is more or less color coordinated like the old one, but in a different shade of blue because I can't say "make her hair/eyes/lipstick/clothes this specific color" when there is no reason I can think of that I shouldn't be able to)

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Arcathra
Technodyne Ltd.
#25 - 2011-12-20 12:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Arcathra
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
We want options that look like they are not from the current time period, but actually scifi, and we also want some of the cultural distinctions between the races back. I would actually prefer them not being race specific in the sense, that only certain races can access them, but rather have race specific clothing sets. Like/inspired by the old amarr dress with antlers or flashy gallente dresses with see through plastic pieces. Those things look more EVE than almost anything you've managed to do with the new system so far. The new avatars look better, but the actual art style has become bland and boring in the clothing area.

Yeah, those dresses were nice Cool

Please, remodel them with the new technology or do something similar. I would even pay AUR for them P
Theodemir
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2011-12-20 12:09:56 UTC
The lack of distinction is noticeable, at least give the Khanid people their visors and metallic helmets [of sorts] and the caldari civic (sp) race their armour back. Also the current robe selection I find lacking... it needs more flare, more fanatical zealotry!
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#27 - 2011-12-20 12:15:42 UTC
I find the new creator absolutely amazing. It offers nearly endless possibilities for creativity, and the results look both distinctive and realistic -unlike the old one, where all portraits were similar and very computer-gamey.

Aiyshimin
Descendant Command
#28 - 2011-12-20 12:18:21 UTC
I'm a slave child and perfectly happy with my looks, the portrait is exactly what I visioned.

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#29 - 2011-12-20 12:31:53 UTC
No. There will be no downgrading for the stupids.
Valei Khurelem
#30 - 2011-12-20 12:38:34 UTC
CCP Xhagen wrote:
Ciar Meara wrote:
Atticus Fynch wrote:
When the new character creator came about, there was a sudden change in the "image" of the individual EVE races.
That change being, they all look the same (except maybe amarr who came out pretty good)..

Why thank you, as the chosen race it is not that difficult to look awesome still its nice to get noticed. We do look rather good.

I agree with you, although not 100% the current Char creator is very impressive but what it needs is more Racial distinction in terms of clothing and cultural/tribal tatoos, scarring, hair and clothing, etc.

CCP did some excellent work for that when they starting working on ambulation, I wonder where it all went...

All the work is still there but with avatars being on the backburner for the time being and the focus being on spaceships, things in this area will happen slowly.

I'll just leave this here for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qiVH0fO_us

LONG LIVE SWG!

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#31 - 2011-12-20 12:42:41 UTC
The new character creator and the new avatars are awesome and with effort and talent very distinct looking and great chars can be made (I have limited talent and didn't put that much effort into this one <--- but I still think it's quite good). Most people look the same because they make badass, mean-looking, sunglass-wearing, bald gangsta dudes. Well guess what, those dudes all look the same in real life, too.

The old portraits were a sad joke and only little children or anime lovers could think they were good. LOL.

Incarna was useless, but the new avatars alone are almost worth all the lost time and resources. Almost.

Roc Wieler
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2011-12-20 12:44:59 UTC
I honestly agree.

Roc had a very cool and distinctive facial tattoo. The shades let people know he was Brutor.

Now anyone can wear shades, and the tattoo? Despite promises at Fanfest, despite promises via email from the Art Director that it would return, I am still without that distinctive tattoo... it saddens me that every bald Brutor looks the same.

What saddens me more is the overall military theme. I served my time in the Tribal Liberation Force. One would assume that military style gear would be a faction perk you could purchase, but no, it's available to every capsuleer, whether they've actually served in the militia or not.

Everything is so vanilla.

Never start a fight you can win.

Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#33 - 2011-12-20 12:50:35 UTC
Jowen Datloran wrote:
All humans look the same: two eyes, ears, one nose and mouth wtf?

I blame The Creator.

Two eyes? Clearly you've not been to Norfolk.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#34 - 2011-12-20 12:52:06 UTC  |  Edited by: non judgement
Valei Khurelem wrote:

LONG LIVE SWG!
What about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_FFxdV7ZHw
Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#35 - 2011-12-20 13:09:44 UTC
Theodemir wrote:
The lack of distinction is noticeable, at least give the Khanid people their visors and metallic helmets [of sorts] and the caldari civic (sp) race their armour back. Also the current robe selection I find lacking... it needs more flare, more fanatical zealotry!

Do you mean you want something more like this.

With the current character creator the Bloodlines have lost their uniqueness. The feeling of very distinct cultures from other worlds is gone and it lessens the richness of EVE because of it. So much background lore describing the different races of EVE and yet the clothing, tattooes, etc we currently have fail to capture that.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

Kaylen Vimanis
#36 - 2011-12-20 13:13:54 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:

LONG LIVE SWG!

Wow that looks so dated. Oh btw SWG officially closes on the launch of TOR.

While SWG had a lot of variety and face sculps, isn't it a lot harder to give distinctive looks to 12 kinds of human type races than it is to give to however many SW races there are?

Also TOR doesn't really have the advanced sculpting that EVE has, it's more like selecting a mix of presets.

I thought this was a game about spaceships anyway? Walking in stations isn't properly going to be around for awhile (10 years time), I'm sure we can live without those customisations for just a bit longer, we've been waiting almost a decade anyway right?

Plus as the devs have said, it's very easy to add content to this char creation tool than it was before, so it's quite safe to say that we should be seeing more in future (hopefully more hair styles!).

I’m a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

Silet'kaa
Matari Combat Research and Manufacture Inc.
#37 - 2011-12-20 13:17:04 UTC
I want my old slit pupils back.....

Granted, I like aspects of the new character creator, but I wish that there were more options that differentiated us from run of the mill humans.

New Character Creator + Old Style Appearance Options == Win

Love is a Covert Cyno. Death to All Supers!!

Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#38 - 2011-12-20 14:17:31 UTC
CCP Xhagen wrote:
Ciar Meara wrote:
Atticus Fynch wrote:
When the new character creator came about, there was a sudden change in the "image" of the individual EVE races.
That change being, they all look the same (except maybe amarr who came out pretty good)..

Why thank you, as the chosen race it is not that difficult to look awesome still its nice to get noticed. We do look rather good.

I agree with you, although not 100% the current Char creator is very impressive but what it needs is more Racial distinction in terms of clothing and cultural/tribal tatoos, scarring, hair and clothing, etc.

CCP did some excellent work for that when they starting working on ambulation, I wonder where it all went...

All the work is still there but with avatars being on the backburner for the time being and the focus being on spaceships, things in this area will happen slowly.

A huge Yes to more options like what was previously available for each Bloodline ... and a big No to adding more into that meaningless NeX store.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

YuuKnow
The Scope
#39 - 2011-12-20 14:25:06 UTC
CCP Xhagen wrote:

I think the new look is way better than the old look. Its why I reactivated my subscription after several years.
Illwill Bill
End of employment history
#40 - 2011-12-20 14:30:57 UTC
The creator isn't the problem. Variety is. I miss the toon-ish look of the old characters. Sad