These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

[proposal] Remove Auto Ship Alignment (on full stop).

Author
MNagy
Yo-Mama
#1 - 2011-12-19 18:27:57 UTC
Why does my ship auto align to some fictitious point in space.

If I stop my ship at 'full stop' - it should stop - aligned to whatever point in space I was moving towards.

Why does this matter?
Simple example:
Try setting up a surprise attack with a cloaked bomber. You cant align properly and wait till the time is right to decloak and throw a couple bombs.

Currently I align to my target and set my speed to 0.000000000001 so I stay aligned.
Drake Draconis
Obsidian Engineering
Evictus.
#2 - 2011-12-19 18:34:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Drake Draconis
MNagy wrote:
Why does my ship auto align to some fictitious point in space.

If I stop my ship at 'full stop' - it should stop - aligned to whatever point in space I was moving towards.

Why does this matter?
Simple example:
Try setting up a surprise attack with a cloaked bomber. You cant align properly and wait till the time is right to decloak and throw a couple bombs.

Currently I align to my target and set my speed to 0.000000000001 so I stay aligned.

IF this was true......and I think it might be...I support it.

EDIT: Yes it is...specially if your alinged to a safe spot that is above your "horizon" at an obsecne angel and you would only maintain it if your where moving.

So yeah....def. want this fixed.

Just remembered a valid example as to why I thought it was the case...hence my edit.

================ STOP THE EVEMAIL SPAM! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=78152

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-12-19 19:43:57 UTC
I recall reading something in a Star Trek book once that explained the reasoning behind an "imaginary planar field" that everybody used to align ships with each other. It was absolutely ubsurd but primarily was done to negate the silliness of ships in space from different races flying at different angles based on how they evolved in their own exploration of space.

I do agree with the OP to a point. The auto alignment makes our ships in space act like submarines that "balance" themselves when stopped after diving or surfacing. On the other hand...seeing ships at all sorts of weird angles in space would feel...odd...kinda like how the new stargate alignment does. It makes sense...but seems odd looking at them compared to what we are used to seeing.

I would like to know what determines what is up and what is down for pilots in EvE? How was this determined and why doesn't one race fly upside down compared to the others? I guess one could argue it is the plane of a specific solar system that you are in or perhaps the plane of the currently known galaxy...

I digress...agreeing with the OP.]

+1

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2011-12-19 20:14:53 UTC
Agreed.

It is pretty annoying for SB bombing runs in particular to have to maintain a little speed to remain in perfect alignment.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Noctis
Shoot First.
#5 - 2011-12-19 21:10:22 UTC
Agreed. When I say "stop" I don't mean "turn the ship 30 degrees and stop".

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Goose99
#6 - 2011-12-19 22:56:11 UTC
Just make bomb launch in direction of your camera like ds.Cool
Drake Draconis
Obsidian Engineering
Evictus.
#7 - 2011-12-20 00:56:03 UTC
Goose99 wrote:
Just make bomb launch in direction of your camera like ds.Cool

Please don't troll this thread...its the first decent idea I've seen in weeks.

This has nothing to do with stealth bmobers...or luanching bombs...

This is exactly what the OP says it is...he just used one example...I gave an another.

There are dozens more where that came from...from all walks of EVE.

Just support it. PP

================ STOP THE EVEMAIL SPAM! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=78152

Ya Huei
Imperial Collective
#8 - 2011-12-20 11:41:36 UTC
Support.

Its more of a bugfix than anything.
Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-12-20 11:49:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Kolonko
nvm, i fail at reading sometimes
Usurpine
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-12-20 12:04:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Usurpine
*Support*
Add me with moving rorquals in industrial mode. Sometimes it moves right out of the pos field very slowly and as long as it is in industrial mode, its unstoppable.
Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2011-12-20 12:44:49 UTC
Usurpine wrote:
*Support*
Add me with moving rorquals in industrial mode. Sometimes it moves right out of the pos field very slowly and as long as it is in industrial mode, its unstoppable.

you can always bump it.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2011-12-22 19:09:10 UTC
Max Kolonko wrote:
Usurpine wrote:
*Support*

you can always bump it.

have fun bumping a deployed capital

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Jagga Spikes
Spikes Chop Shop
#13 - 2011-12-22 20:28:20 UTC
"to align" in EVE, means to have desired direction AND 75%+ of ship's maximum speed. therefore, you can't have ship at rest and be aligned. ship at rest has no direction, from server point of view; it will accelerate in any direction at the same rate.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2011-12-22 21:11:32 UTC
Jagga Spikes wrote:
"to align" in EVE, means to have desired direction AND 75%+ of ship's maximum speed. therefore, you can't have ship at rest and be aligned. ship at rest has no direction, from server point of view; it will accelerate in any direction at the same rate.

Did you even bother to read the thread?

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Maxsim Goratiev
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-12-24 10:45:57 UTC
bumpedy bump
Orboro Naheema
Doomheim
#16 - 2011-12-24 21:54:05 UTC
Yeah +1 for cool immersion stuff.
Santiago Fahahrri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2011-12-25 04:52:16 UTC
Orboro Naheema wrote:
Yeah +1 for cool immersion stuff.

Yep
Gerrick Palivorn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-12-25 04:53:43 UTC
+1

As for why the ships balance out when you stop I believe thats because the original physics engine for Eve was based off of a submarine simulator. Or so I've been told.

MMOs come and go, but Eve remains.  -Garresh-

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
#19 - 2011-12-26 16:29:53 UTC
Agreed, in space, when you stop you STOP no matter what direction you were facing, the auto levelling to the galactic plane has always irritated me simply because there is no reason for it.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2011-12-26 19:37:55 UTC
Rico Minali wrote:
Agreed, in space, when you stop you STOP no matter what direction you were facing, the auto levelling to the galactic plane has always irritated me simply because there is no reason for it.

We can whine, but this all comes to "submarine" engine eve's uses.
I fully agree that even though it does not matter what side you are facing in full stop (apart from SB bomb launcher), it is more immersive to keep original direction while stoped.
However it could cause little more net traffic (right now it is possible that there is no traffic for stationary targets, but it can be totally opposite, and it can be similar to moving target, just values being zero)

12Next page