These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cooperation?

Author
Maynard Sokarad
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-01-26 20:25:52 UTC
I have been playing for 3 or 4 months, I have reached 4mil SP and 1bil on my wallet, both being small milestones that attest i'm a semi competent beginner.

This really is a good game. It is hardcore (although probably not as hard as it used to be) and it's complex enough that the only people that bother playing are quite an interesting bunch. There is also a lot of active player which is, quite frankly, the stat that makes or breaks a MMO. I have discovered dozens of different full time activities and although i have not discovered anything new in quite some time I wouldn't be surprised if I still had no knowledge of huge parts of the game.

There is, however, something that is really missing in Eve. It's what I would call pick up cooperation. There is nearly no way to interract with a stranger except maybe for shooting him down (or more likelly in my case, getting gunned down). There is no mechanic in place to help player cooperate for small objectives. For example the loot system make it nearly impossible to do a pick up fleet with stranger and say, run an anom or a mission. On the other hand, like most MMO Eve is balanced for multiplayers, making multiboxing a practical necessity.
Matter of factly, 4 months into the gamee and the only time I got to play with someone else (except for the numerous time I got killed) was when a corpmate invented something for me to do : scout this or that, usually. Something they could have done faster but knew that i'd enjoy doing.
As far as i can tell incursions may be the closest thing from a pick up fleet thing, but i'm severall weeks away from a decent BS fit (if I ever chose to get there) even If i was lead to understand some people would accept beginner fitted with meta 4 modules.

Am I missing something?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2015-01-26 20:44:34 UTC
search npsi (not purple shoot it) fleet roams
Memphis Baas
#3 - 2015-01-26 21:00:24 UTC
Yeah, the problem isn't lack of tools. We have the ability to form fleets, unrestricted chat and email to contact people with, and the content you're thinking of doing as a group allows others to enter and participate.

The problem is the lack of trust that a full PVP environment builds. And that is not just an artifact of this game, pretty much all PVP MMO's or games have this.

Coop does happen in the Sisters of EVE tutorial areas; newbies ask for help killing this boss or that boss all the time, and veterans help. Nothing prevents you from just asking in local, and inviting anyone to your fleet. However, as far as guaranteeing that they play nice once invited, that's another thing.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-01-26 21:06:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
Maynard Sokarad wrote:
Am I missing something?

It sounds like your corp is primarily PVE focused. This is a PVP game at its core. If you decide to branch out into PVP you will find that cooperation is close to mandatory for most forms of combat. Proper fleets have many different roles that need to be filled - scout, tackle, dps, logistics, ewar, boosting, etc. Given two equal fleets (haha), the more coordinated one will always win.

Sure, some forms of PVE require fleet cooperation - incursions, wormhole sites, level 5s, etc. However, in my opinion these will never be as thrilling as player combat, no matter how difficult they are or how much cooperation they require. As you said, you might as well just multibox and make better isk/hr.

Even production/industry IMO provide better opportunities for cooperation than combat PVE.

SP and ISK are grinding metrics, akin to other MMOs. EVE is not a grinding MMO - at least the good parts of it aren't. If you find yourself bored from grinding you need to try something new. Also, if the extent of your interaction with your corporation is frivolous "scouting" to "keep you busy", you should consider looking for a better corporation that will get you more involved. Remember, it's a two way street. You'll also need to put in the effort to involve yourself, because few corporations will go out of their way to train a new player that doesn't bother to participate. However, I have seen new players that play a huge role in their corporations, quickly becoming invaluable in a scout/tackle role. You could be the one that pushes your corp-mates to try something new and interesting. Ask if they want to take a roam through low-sec or try some wormhole diving.

A billion ISK is PLENTY to start PVPing. I suggest you stop making money for a bit and go spend some. If you really hate the idea of combat, there are other ways to shake up your gameplay and avoid grinding. Production and trade are interesting ways to make money. Exploration is slightly more interesting than combat grinding because it will take you through dangerous space where you will be forced to interact with other players (though I will never fully board that hype-train because I find the mini-game insufferable).

TLDR - Don't grind. If you are bored, you are either doing the wrong activity or doing it with the wrong people, or both. People are the content in EVE.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-01-26 21:25:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Tipa Riot
Phig Neutron
Starbreaker and Sons
#6 - 2015-01-26 21:36:40 UTC
When my main character was young, the way I built up a corporation of about 50 members was by running level 2 missions in a system that also had level 1s, and inviting the newbies who I'd see around the station to join me in my L2 missions. We'd fleet up, they'd learn a little bit about fleet boosting, tackling, coordinating primary targets, etc., and often join my fledgling corporation. I was just chatting with them in local or inviting them to private conversations. It's not hard.

If you want to be doing things cooperatively with strangers, just ask! If I were in local with you and you asked for fleetmates to do missions or something, I'd probably be glad to join you. (If you asked me to go to lowsec with you, I'd be a bit more wary...)

Marsan
#7 - 2015-01-26 22:02:41 UTC
Yes and no. High Security PVE is not going to encourage much player cooperation as it's generally more efficient to mission on your own. That said a lot of HS PVE mission running and mining corps are very social, and run missions, mine and the like all the time. HS wars require an extreme amount of cooperation to be successful.

Multiplayer in Eve generally only shines outside HS. Wormhole space pretty much always requires player cooperation. (Sure you'll see the army of alts and multi-boxing in C1-C3.) Living in NS, and LS is going to be most successful, and enjoyable in an organized corp/alliance.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-01-26 22:20:45 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
*cough* public roams / public incursion fleets.
*cough* anybody can fleet with anybody if you ask
*cough* anybody can make or join community chat channels.

So, seriously, there are many tools to do group stuff, even when not in a corp / not in the same corp etc.

That people mostly play alone / with their own corp, doesnt mean it isnt there.

People tend to PvE alone cause you can solo most PvE and doing as a group only hurts your income.

P.s. EVE is a PvP game in its core, so the PvE is just a "side activity" by design...

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2015-01-27 07:10:16 UTC
I think you are missing a few intentional game designs.

First CCP advertises on the whole theft / piracy things so the game is intentionally tilted in that direction. They want to create opportunities for people to screw each other over. So you won't see that game mechanic go away and you won't see a whole bunch of tools created to hold your hand or get around the whole trust building and background check stuff.

This game is intentionally player focused. Some will say PvP focused but it's really player focused. Yes PvP is included in that but even PvE CCP would rather player generated content than server created. High sec is a little more of a "safer" zone which is there mostly to get new players up to speed but once you get out to null sec or wormhole space you become very dependent on other players and trust building mechanics.

So most wormhole content is not soloable so you need to do it with a group but there is no bounty system so you have to collect the loot and salvage and then determine payout and divvy it up yourself and then someone needs to get the stuff to high sec and sell it at some point. CCP leaves it up to the players to figure out how to "play" together. They give you the space to play and the game mechanics but they don't hold your hand and do it for you.

Null sec mining ops are a similar situation where in most cases there is not a healthy local market to get good isk for your ore so players have to come up with ways to make use of the ore or move it to where it can be used as a group and then make sure everyone is cut in on the action.

I've heard the saying "it's not a bug it's a feature" used before but in this case I believe it to be a true statement. The lack of the sharing tools that you speak of I believe are an intentional omission.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#10 - 2015-01-27 16:20:44 UTC
'Like' for the good attitude - welcome to Eve.

Are you in a player owned corp? If no, that may be your problem. If yes, then you may want to look for a corp where everyone is not so independent.

Solonius Rex
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-01-27 18:45:17 UTC
Maynard Sokarad wrote:
I have been playing for 3 or 4 months, I have reached 4mil SP and 1bil on my wallet, both being small milestones that attest i'm a semi competent beginner.

This really is a good game. It is hardcore (although probably not as hard as it used to be) and it's complex enough that the only people that bother playing are quite an interesting bunch. There is also a lot of active player which is, quite frankly, the stat that makes or breaks a MMO. I have discovered dozens of different full time activities and although i have not discovered anything new in quite some time I wouldn't be surprised if I still had no knowledge of huge parts of the game.

There is, however, something that is really missing in Eve. It's what I would call pick up cooperation. There is nearly no way to interract with a stranger except maybe for shooting him down (or more likelly in my case, getting gunned down). There is no mechanic in place to help player cooperate for small objectives. For example the loot system make it nearly impossible to do a pick up fleet with stranger and say, run an anom or a mission. On the other hand, like most MMO Eve is balanced for multiplayers, making multiboxing a practical necessity.
Matter of factly, 4 months into the gamee and the only time I got to play with someone else (except for the numerous time I got killed) was when a corpmate invented something for me to do : scout this or that, usually. Something they could have done faster but knew that i'd enjoy doing.
As far as i can tell incursions may be the closest thing from a pick up fleet thing, but i'm severall weeks away from a decent BS fit (if I ever chose to get there) even If i was lead to understand some people would accept beginner fitted with meta 4 modules.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. There is an entire community dedicated to public roams and whatnot. But i think the problem you have is more obvious. I think you should look for a different corp, if you want to be a part of things like daily roams, daily ratting excersizes, nullsec roams, etc. And then, there is always Faction Warfare, which provides ample roaming and fleet fighting opportunities.

If youre looking for more team fights, there are plenty of avenues. You just gotta ask.
Maynard Sokarad
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-01-27 19:03:21 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:

So most wormhole content is not soloable so you need to do it with a group but there is no bounty system so you have to collect the loot and salvage and then determine payout and divvy it up yourself and then someone needs to get the stuff to high sec and sell it at some point. CCP leaves it up to the players to figure out how to "play" together. They give you the space to play and the game mechanics but they don't hold your hand and do it for you.

That certainly is a sensible way to design a game if you want the player to be free and not force them into specific mechanism. I'm just a bit underwhelmed with the end result, where it looks like every player fend for themselves outside of corps/alliance boundaries.

Speaking of which, I very well know that my corp is a size below critical mass and further more we are only 4 active players left at that point. In due time i may look elsewhere for a more active corporation but really i'd enjoy some "pick up" action in the meantime. From the response in this thread it looks like it may exist but I have yet to find it.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2015-01-28 00:23:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
As mentioned already, you might want to look into joining a wormhole based corp.

Train cloaking 4
add the Ore Frigate & Gas mining skills (so you can contribute towards the T3 production efforts)
and the scanning skills to around 3-4 (so you can contribute towards the bookmarking efforts)
the PI skills can be handy too

and you'll get a good mix of group based pve and group based pvp

the cloaking skill is kinda essential though, don't leave the pos bubble without it.

wormhole life isn't for everyone.
you can go days or weeks without seeing another person if your corp is having a quiet, or busy IRL, time
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2015-01-28 20:09:45 UTC
Maynard Sokarad wrote:

That certainly is a sensible way to design a game if you want the player to be free and not force them into specific mechanism. I'm just a bit underwhelmed with the end result, where it looks like every player fend for themselves outside of corps/alliance boundaries.

I'll give you that the game does wind up being very corp / alliance / coalition based but what you are basically saying here is that outside all of the group activities there are no group activities.

I'll try to word this more clearly. Eve is extremely focused on group player activities. Any thing that you want to do in this game of any significance requires you to coordinate your efforts with other players. While this mechanic which forces cooperation does exist there are very few in game tools to facilitate this. How this ends up is people not only need to work together to get stuff done they need to work together on working together. What I mean is you have to figure out how to make it happen.

Public roams which split up the loot evenly happen all the time. There are null sec groups in game that will provide ship replacements for people outside any official structure ( corp, alliance, coaliton ) that roam with them to defend their space. When corps get war deced it's not uncommon for other corps / alliance to offer to join the fight and help some for a fee and some for free. There are entire communities and sub communities that exist in the incursion aspect of this game that get non-affiliated individuals working together on group content and a permanent basis.

For me personally when I was first playing this game I had a guy randomly start a convo with me and ask if I wanted to salvage his missions for him. He must have seen that I was new and in a mission hub system but regardless his reasoning he asked if I wanted to loot and salvage his missions for him and split the isk. I said yes, he fleeted me, I made bookmarks of all of his mission pockets and looted and salvaged all of his missions and after he logged off I sold all the stuff and split the isk. This was back before the noctis or the MTU existed so it was more of a job and before the loot nerf so it was more profitable. So anyway the next day when the guy logged in and saw that I paid him a fair amount he asked if I wanted to do it again. I made more isk than I could have running missions on my own. He made more isk than he could have alone because he could chain run them and not have to stop and loot but still was able to get half of the loot value.

Group content happens outside corps and alliances all the time in this game. The only difference is that none of it is spoon fed to you. This is not WoW. There are no queueable battlegrounds there is no LFR. Anything you want to do in this game ultimately requires you to do it with other players and there are almost no game mechanics to facilitate this. Learn how to make friends or find another game those are your options but Eve is heavily group focused.

I would argue that forcing players to have to figure out how to work together makes it a far more group focused game. Go play any other game that you can just queue for something and have some group just automatically created and to me that group barely feels like a group. Now go on a public roam or roam with some twitch streamer or go make a day trip into a wormhole with some random friends you made you will see what real group activities are.

To me queue for some group stuff in other games is like going to the movies by yourself and because of the fact that you are in a theater with other people claiming that it is a group activity.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-01-28 20:36:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
Yesterday I was out looking for solo fights and found another solo pilot doing the same. After dancing around each other for a while we opted not to fight (they had links and I wasn't in the right ship for it).

So we just talked in local for a while about links and blobbing and all the things that us piratey types talk about. A couple Russians jumped into system so we moved to a private convo and shared intel on them. They were trying to bait me but my new friend warned me that they were blobbers and liked to drop black ops.

I had a couple corp-mates online but I didn't think I could bait out black ops in the Enyo I was flying. My new friend offered to bait them out with his Raven so we let him in our fleet. The Russian Incursus pilot asked me to "test his tank" (lol) so I allowed myself to be baited to the sun where a "surprise" Sentinel appeared.

During a stressful fight against the Incursus and Sentinel my new friend in the Raven arrived to encourage them to escalate. Sure enough, a Gnosis appeared, lit a cyno, and spawned two Panthers. At this point I called in the rest of my fleet and we managed to kill 2 Panthers, a Gnosis, a Sentinel, and an Incursus without losing any ships! We would never have got it done without the Raven pilot who held tackle on the Panthers like a hero.

I spent the next few hours chatting with my new friend about ship fits, drones, missiles, frigates, battleships, kiting, brawling...etc. I even learned a couple things.

TLDR - You can find "cooperative pickup content" anywhere. You just need to be friendly and talk to people.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament