These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Mining different kinds of ore

Author
Marcuus Arielius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-01-22 02:10:56 UTC

I am doing tutorials and have run into a road block with regards to finding ores other than veldspar. Below are some of the ores I need and I have no idea how to find them.

I have been warping around Uitra, but no luck. I guess i could buy them, but I'd rather mine the ore if I can.

"You'll need the minerals mexallon, pyerite, and tritanium, which you can easily acquire by mining and reprocessing ore from pyroxeres, plagioclase, jaspet or hemorphite asteroids. "

Dradis Aulmais
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-01-22 02:19:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Dradis Aulmais
Your system may be mined out. Jump to another.
Make sure you have a survey scanner fitted. It will make finding the right rock easier as it will identify all rock types in range.

Jaspet and herm are low sec ores and are risker to get be careful when mining them.

http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

List ore types and their mineral break downs ( with prefect skills) and tells you what sec status system you can find them in.

Dradis Aulmais, Federal Attorney Number 54896

Free The Scope Three

Chal0ner
Hideaway Hunters
The Hideaway.
#3 - 2015-01-22 03:24:35 UTC
You might be able to find low sec ores in anomalies. As it is the tutorial, I probably shouldn't mention that you might also get the materials from reprocessing loot.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-01-22 03:55:11 UTC
If your in a school system the belts get mined out pretty much within an hour or two of server reset only to fill up again next day.

One good way of getting unusual rocks is mine the combat mission instances. A lot of the rarer ores will pop up in combat missions including the tutorial ones. Just kill the mission rats and then come back with your mining ship and mine for a bit before handing the mission in.
Oraac Ensor
#5 - 2015-01-22 07:45:34 UTC
If you can't find the ores for all the required minerals just buy the missing minerals from the market.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-01-22 08:16:45 UTC
A. Some ores are only found in certain space (So for some ores you will have to rravel tp other factions or to lowsec/nullsec).

B. Just buy the minerals. Easier, quicker and safer then trying to hunt all the ores yourself.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Celine Sophia Maricadie
Tal-Cel Industry and Salvage LLC
#7 - 2015-01-22 16:30:15 UTC
Make sure you're using a mining preset for your Overview, so that way you will see the different asteroids in a given belt/site.

I recommend reading through this Overview Guide.

This is also a decent guide on Asteroids and Ore.

The starter and career agent systems do have their dedicated rookie ores sites now as of the Proteus update, but I think they just offer veldspar. Those sites are anomalies called "Asteroid Belt Remnants"; see http://community.eveonline.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-for-proteus. They're designed to keep a supply of ore to mine that wouldn't be attractive to non-rookie miners.

Usually you don't have to go too far to find the ore type you're looking for to mine, but I also know that in the career agent missions where you have to manufacture a ship, and perhaps the ammo/crystals you're best off buying the more rare minerals you need, since those will be much more of a challenge for you to go out and find.

Also, if you do continue to mine, and you're doing this for the mineral content (because you're manufacturing stuff), you're going to be far better off selling the ore and then purchasing the minerals you need. You'll actually tend to come out ahead ISK wise. It takes a fair bit of skills and work to gain standings to have reprocessing percentages that get you a return in minerals that is more cost effective than selling the ore and buying the minerals.

More details: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Reprocessing

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2015-01-22 19:45:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Celine Sophia Maricadie wrote:
This is also a decent guide on Asteroids and Ore.

Notably:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/File:Glow_roid_grid.jpg
You can also reprocess junk modules dropped by NPC rats.

Generally if you want to build something, I recommend buying the materials rather than attempting to gather them yourself.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#9 - 2015-01-23 03:36:29 UTC
I also recommend buying the minerals. Mostly because you will gain a greater understanding of what the cost to produce something actually is.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com