These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

My Remap Situation

Author
Catherine Brown
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-01-17 01:03:56 UTC
Hello everyone!

I've been around the traps for about a month now, so needless to say I'm still on all fours ;)

A week or so ago, I stumbled across my attributes page, and the remap button. I thought I'd check out the effect different levels of abilities would have on my training times, so I proceeded to do a bit of testing, by using up my two bonus remaps and the one for the year. Of course I didn't read the warnings, and of course I now know that was really silly.

After my third remap, when I realised I would be stuck as I was for a year, I had the following skills:

Perception : 17
Memory: 25
Willpower: 17
Intelligence: 23
Charisma: 17

I was lucky enough to have my one remap for the year reset by a friendly GM after I put in a support ticket.

So, my question - Given that I'm still a newbie and have no solid plans for the future as yet, should I use my remap now to reset my points to a more level playing field, or wait until I know what I want to do when I grow up?

Thanks in advance.
Eldwinn
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-01-17 01:07:09 UTC
Catherine Brown wrote:

So, my question - Given that I'm still a newbie and have no solid plans for the future as yet, should I use my remap now to reset my points to a more level playing field, or wait until I know what I want to do when I grow up?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6765

Read that and use it.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#3 - 2015-01-17 01:30:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Catherine Brown wrote:

Not the worst. Bearable for a primary drone user, miner, or industry character. Not so great for combat otherwise.

MEM > INT
* Manufacturing
* Mining
* Reprocessing
* Drones (MEM > PER)
* Can still do INT > MEM too, which is the majority of core skills.

In general I'd rate the importance of attributes as: INT = PER >> MEM = WIL >>> CHA. Specializing can shift the importance.

I consider 2000 SP/hour the minimum training rate I'd recommend. This doesn't mean that I don't train skills that are under that amount, but rather try to keep the time training such skills to a minimum. Note that 2700 SP/hour is the maximum possible.

If you search the forums for "remap" you will find lots of posts by me.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3095907#post3095907

Example of what never changing your attributes looks like after nearly 6 years with a general mapping (average of 2,404.09 SP/hour). Notice that having low PER & WIL doesn't prevent one from training those skills (ships, missiles, turrets, T2 ships), though the character is primarily a drone user.

I'd wait and really consider what you want to train. I have 132m SP and I still have 4 bonus remaps; they are not replaceable and should not be wasted.

Breakdown of your attributes

No implants:
Big smile 25m > 23i = 2190 SP/hour [Manufacturing, Mining, Reprocessing]
Big smile 23i > 25m = 2130 SP/hour [Core skills, Research & T2/T3 Manufacturing]
Smile 25m > 17p = 2010 SP/hour [Drones]
Straight 23i > 17p = 1890 SP/hour [Navigation]
Cry 17p > 17w = 1530 SP/hour [Ships, turrets, missiles]
Cry 17w > 17p = 1530 SP/hour [T2 ships]

+3 Implants:
Big smile 28m > 26i = 2460 SP/hour [Manufacturing, Mining, Reprocessing]
Big smile 26i > 28m = 2400 SP/hour [Core skills, Research & T2/T3 Manufacturing]
Big smile 28m > 20p = 2280 SP/hour [Drones]
Big smile 26i > 20p = 2160 SP/hour [Navigation]
Sad 20p > 20w = 1800 SP/hour [Ships, turrets, missiles]
Sad 20w > 20p = 1800 SP/hour [T2 ships]

+4 Implants:
Big smile 29m > 27i = 2550 SP/hour [Manufacturing, Mining, Reprocessing]
Big smile 27i > 29m = 2490 SP/hour [Core skills, Research & T2/T3 Manufacturing]
Big smile 29m > 21p = 2370 SP/hour [Drones]
Big smile 27i > 21p = 2250 SP/hour [Navigation]
Straight 21p > 21w = 1890 SP/hour [Ships, turrets, missiles]
Straight 21w > 21p = 1890 SP/hour [T2 ships]

+5 Implants:
Big smile 30m > 28i = 2640 SP/hour [Manufacturing, Mining, Reprocessing]
Big smile 28i > 30m = 2580 SP/hour [Core skills, Research & T2/T3 Manufacturing]
Big smile 30m > 22p = 2460 SP/hour [Drones]
Big smile 28i > 22p = 2340 SP/hour [Navigation
Smile 22p > 22w = 1980 SP/hour [Ships, turrets, missiles]
Smile 22w > 22p = 1980 SP/hour [T2 ships]

Notice that +1 to both primary and secondary attributes yields +90 SP/hour.
Memphis Baas
#4 - 2015-01-17 04:44:01 UTC
If training a combat pilot (PVE or PVP), personally I'd put it on Int/Per and leave it for the year. This is because you'll be training Int/Mem support skills, and Per/Wil ship and weaponry skills.

If you're training an industry, research, trading, whatever special purpose character that won't be flying many ships, then probably Mem/Int or whatever the specifics for the task that you're training.

You can also get more remaps if you buy Aurum or buy Plex and convert it to Aurum from the Account webpage. But that will cost you money.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-01-17 06:42:02 UTC
Intel and memory are really great skills to be stuck in. They are good for a large part of ship piloting skills. Anything having to do with tank be it armor or shield as well as electronics and engineering skills and navigation and targeting. Drone skills also would be decent to train with this remap. Of course this is ignoring all the industry and Planetary Interaction skills that it's good for as well as scanning.

You can look at any skill in the show info UI and there is an attribute tab. So skills train at your primary attribute plus half of your secondary attribute per minute. So for you ideally you would want skills with Memory as Primary and Intel as secondary but honestly they are so close that intel primary memory secondary would be almost the same. Also anything with Memory or intel as a primary won't be terribly bad either.

The math:
25 memory primary and half of 23 intel secondary is your ideal 25 + ( 23 X .5 ) = 36.5 skill points per minute or 2190 skill points per hour.

Intel primary and memory secondary would be 35.5 per minute or 2130 per hour.

anything with memory as a primary and any other stat ( since for you they are all 17 ) would be 33.5 per minute or 2010 per hour.

For comparison the baseline that I think you started with was 20 on everything except charisma which is 19. For that remap anything non charisma related would be 30 per minute or 1800 per hour.

So as you can see anything with intel or memory as a primary is going to be better now than it was before which is a lot of usefull skills that you will need very soon. If you can stand to train those skills for now and get access to all T2 tank mods and get some halfway decent targeting skills probably want to throw some scanning skills in there then get navigation up and some basic drone skills then you could remap to something more perception / willpower based which will be good for all ship piloting and damage skills like guns and missiles.

What you really need is an app called EveMon that allows you to make skill plans and move stuff around and even see how remaps would affect skill plans as well as a button to calculate the ideal remap for a given skill plan. It's all out of game so it does not mess with anything in game until you come up with a plan that you are happy with. It is an awesome tool and can be combined with EFT ( Eve Fitting Tool ) for even more useful stuff like importing ship fits and characters into skill plans and such.

Also it is likely that none of this would have happen if you weren't trying to solo eve. I recommend you get in a noob friendly group and ask questions. Eve is full of lessons that can be learned the hard way or the easy way and as you have seen there are real consequences.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2015-01-17 06:50:13 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

Not the worst. Bearable for a primary drone user, miner, or industry character. Not so great for combat otherwise.

As I have just pointed out there are a good amount of skills needed for combat that are not dps related that he can train well now. IMHO he is in as close to an ideal postion as possible for where he is with just one remap for combat. The reason that I say this is he can get access to T2 tank, and hull skils. baseline rig and targetting and tech 2 prop mods as well as some fitting skills then remap and train spaceship command and damage for a year. I mean after all the Tech 2 guns don't do you much good without the CPU and powergrid to fit them.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-01-17 08:11:54 UTC
I never really liked the idea of doing Attribute Remaps and then training skills in a specific skill group class just to have increased amount of Skill-points per hour.

Instead I opted for a full set of +5 Attribute Implants to do that.

Since I'm the type of player that doesn't put much stock into following 'Skill Plans' and I basically jump around to different skill groups when needed, I have my Base Attributes set up as a 'Jack Of All Types' setting.

Intelligence: 22
Perception : 20
Memory: 20
Willpower: 20

With a full set of +5 Attribute Implants installed, my average Skill-points per hour is 2,198.25

DMC
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-01-17 08:40:05 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:

You can also get more remaps if you buy Aurum or buy Plex and convert it to Aurum from the Account webpage. But that will cost you money.

Shocked I don't think this is true.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#9 - 2015-01-17 09:16:20 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure about that either.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-01-17 09:16:57 UTC
Catherine Brown wrote:
Hello everyone!

I've been around the traps for about a month now, so needless to say I'm still on all fours ;)

A week or so ago, I stumbled across my attributes page, and the remap button. I thought I'd check out the effect different levels of abilities would have on my training times, so I proceeded to do a bit of testing, by using up my two bonus remaps and the one for the year. Of course I didn't read the warnings, and of course I now know that was really silly.

After my third remap, when I realised I would be stuck as I was for a year, I had the following skills:

I was lucky enough to have my one remap for the year reset by a friendly GM after I put in a support ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Really

You didn't know about what it did, and still wasted your 2 bonus remaps?

May I suggest, next time...read up on it and you would have had the information about it's about skill training times and that it's best to first have a dedicated skillplan before you are going to remap.

So, to answer your question:

Definately wait till you have a skillplan. You already wasted the bonus maps, and due to luck you have your yearly map again. Why waste it yet again.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2015-01-17 11:21:16 UTC
So for any newer players reading this that have not burned up your remaps yet a couple tips:

Your first year in the game you jump around the skills so much you really don't want to remap into anything. What you think you want to train for the next year now and what next week you thinks he wants to train for the next year likely won't be the same thing. If anything I can say the liklihood of you using a lot of charisma based skills in your first year is not good. You will likely use some just not alot in most cases other than that you'll use the other 4 attributes all very much.

Never remap into a heavily focused attribute map unless you have a spare bonus remap to get yourself out of it if something changes. Your needs change skills change sometimes new ships and modules come out that you need to train for. You never know for sure what you will be training for the next year.

When I first started I remapped my main to get max skill points per hour. I had 2 active accounts back then and knew that I'd likely have to play the second toon for a while until my main got more balanced in his skills. That alt became my main and to this day my second toon with much less skill points is a far more useful toon.

J'Poll
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-01-17 11:55:01 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
I never really liked the idea of doing Attribute Remaps and then training skills in a specific skill group class just to have increased amount of Skill-points per hour.

Instead I opted for a full set of +5 Attribute Implants to do that.

Since I'm the type of player that doesn't put much stock into following 'Skill Plans' and I basically jump around to different skill groups when needed, I have my Base Attributes set up as a 'Jack Of All Types' setting.

Intelligence: 22
Perception : 20
Memory: 20
Willpower: 20

With a full set of +5 Attribute Implants installed, my average Skill-points per hour is 2,198.25

DMC

I kind of agree with this mapping idea.

As a new player, you will need skills from all over the place, all the time.

Sure, you can go into a dedicated core-skill mapping, but that will set you back when you train up starship related skills.
Sure, you can go into a dedicated starship related mapping, but it will limit the progression of core-skills.

Fine tuned mapping is great:

* Once you know what you will / want to be training for a long time AND you don't really need to side step from that plan very often.

* If you are making a very dedicated alt on an account that you want to train as efficiently as possible for a certain duty.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-01-17 12:24:09 UTC
i prefer the int/percep remap for new players. Sure drones will train a little bit slow but it covers almost all the bases
Memphis Baas
#14 - 2015-01-17 13:55:37 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

Oops you are right, I thought I saw the option somewhere in the NEX Store but I was mistaken. There are no remaps available anywhere. Only things available are resculpts and multitraining.

I apologize.
J'Poll
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-01-17 14:36:43 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Tipa Riot wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

Oops you are right, I thought I saw the option somewhere in the NEX Store but I was mistaken. There are no remaps available anywhere. Only things available are resculpts and multitraining.

I apologize.

The only way we ever had the option to choose extra bonus remaps was with the Xmas gifts a couple of years ago.

Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#16 - 2015-01-18 03:50:00 UTC
Catherine Brown wrote:
should I use my remap now to reset my points to a more level playing field, or wait until I know what I want to do when I grow up?
It's not a terrible map as mentioned above. I would train some drone skills before going to a Int=Per generic map that will serve you well for quite a while.

You can find other skills that are maxed for your current map by getting EveMon and using the filter by attribute option.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#17 - 2015-01-19 19:04:42 UTC
Reposting because I don't think anybody is clicking on the link I posted above:
TauCabalander wrote:
I'd recommend starting with a general remap of either:

* Perception = Intelligence [24i 24p 17c 17w 17m], for a combat focused character.
* Perception > (intelligence = Memory) [21i 23p 17c 17w 21m], for a combat and drones focused character.
* Intelligence > (Perception = Memory) [23i 21p 17c 17w 21m], for an industry and drones focused character.

So Called Long Term Remap

Also the character I posted above that has not remapped in 6 years has the last of the above general mappings, which I can recommend to new players that have no idea what they want to do.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-01-20 03:57:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
Actually as a new player training a lot of ship related skills the first Perception/INT remap is usually optimal for the first one to two years.

its better not to guess. Create a skill-plan for the next 12 months in EVEMON and get it to suggest a mapping for you.
Forest Archer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-01-20 04:37:39 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Actually as a new player training a lot of ship related skills the first Perception/INT remap is usually optimal for the first one to two years.

its better not to guess. Create a skill-plan for the next 12 months in EVEMON and get it to suggest a mapping for you.

I would highly disagree while ship and weapon skills are often trained the engineering, navigation, and electronics are just as important as well as drones. All of which have little no no use of perception and will power.

While it is up to the individual until you complete a majority of the core skills I would go with the balanced approach.

Always willing to help all you have to do is ask, though if you're in the other fleet I may not help the way you want. Just a heads up. Pub Channel: Lost Souls Trading Post

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#20 - 2015-01-20 23:51:06 UTC
I didn't remap untill after a year or so. There is no real point. Your training times are short on all those level 3-4 skills you will want to train the first year, and there are just too many flavours to sample.
12Next page