These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

gaming laptops advice?

Author
Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#1 - 2015-01-18 20:22:55 UTC
Hi all, I've never played EVE or any other highly graphical games on anything but a desktop computer, but I'm curious about the possibility of gaming laptops. I guess I just never believed it was possible for a laptop to really perform adequately for gaming, but I was talking to a guy in Best Buy who swears they're up to the task.

So I'd like to ask if anyone out there is playing EVE on a laptop, and what do you think of it? Can the $1200 models handle it? Can you run all the high-end effects? What about running two instances of EVE at the same time, i.e. a main character and an alt?

I'm a Windows and Linux user, but if you're playing EVE on a Mac laptop I'd also be interested to hear about it.

I have three kids under age 4, who love pulling on wires and pushing switches in the back of the computer, so it'd be great to make the switch if this option is really usable.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#2 - 2015-01-18 20:38:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
It may be outdated, but my best advice on laptops for gaming is: buy a desktop PC.

Gaming means heat and heat kills laptops. So either your laptop can't die of heat because it's not useful for gaming, or it does gaming at the expense of its lifespan.

Now, if you want to play EVE and just EVE, it haves very basic system requirements so probably a laptop could run it without being suit for gaming.
Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#3 - 2015-01-18 20:45:45 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
It may be outdated, but my best advice on laptops for gaming is: buy a desktop PC. .

Your advice matches my intuition, but I am old and remember laptops that I bought in the 1990s and 2000s. Maybe we are indeed outdated. I'd like to hear what the young whippersnappers think about the issue.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#4 - 2015-01-18 21:09:44 UTC
for 1200 you should find something that can pull games well.

Make sure you are going for dual fans separate for cpu and gpu w separate heat pipes as well so you don't torture laptop w heat also try not to break any frame rate records and you will be fine.

Asus "ROG" series comes to mind.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#5 - 2015-01-18 22:02:03 UTC
Joe Starbreaker wrote:

I have three kids under age 4, who love pulling on wires and pushing switches in the back of the computer, so it'd be great to make the switch if this option is really usable.

You'd be better off to learn how to kid-proof your home and stick with a desktop.

If you are used to a decent monitor, the 13" to 17" of a laptop will drive you bonkers. I often log in on a 13" laptop just to set up market orders and it drives me nuts. I can't even imagine trying to do combat on one.

I manged to raise two kids a year apart and never had a problem with them pulling out plugs and poking around under my desk. The worst I had was trying to clean the drool off the keyboard and mouse. And that was with a full HOTAS set up for combat flight sims.

Mr Epeen Cool
Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#6 - 2015-01-18 22:39:39 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
You'd be better off to learn how to kid-proof your home

Let me tell you, there's no such thing. They could hurt themselves and break things in a padded cell with styrofoam popcorn up to your knees.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2015-01-19 00:44:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Joe Starbreaker wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
You'd be better off to learn how to kid-proof your home

Let me tell you, there's no such thing. They could hurt themselves and break things in a padded cell with styrofoam popcorn up to your knees.

i have twin 4yold boys,
a tower will be much harder to hurt than a laptop...
that they can pick up and throw...
and hit each other with...
(r.i.p think pad)

unless you want it for travel (lol)
Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#8 - 2015-01-19 01:01:24 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

a tower will be much harder to hurt than a laptop...
that they can pick up and throw...
and hit each other with...
(r.i.p think pad)

True, but at least in theory you can fold the laptop up and put it on a high shelf.
Just remember never to get up and go to the bathroom or answer the phone, while the laptop is out, without locking the boys in their room first.

Anyway as I said, my own intuition agrees with yours -- that a laptop isn't going to be adequate for gaming -- and I made this thread because I want to find out from those with actual experience whether I might be wrong.

I'm hoping somebody will post and say "yes, I'm playing EVE on a Brand X laptop and it works great" or the contrary.
Zeko Rena
ENCOM Industries
#9 - 2015-01-19 01:03:43 UTC
I had a "gaming laptop" once, it sucked and died after a few months.

In my honest opinion there is no such thing as a gaming laptop, my rather new work laptop gets hot just running windows 8.1 and Microsoft Office.

I would recommend building a new desktop machine.
Mina Sebiestar
#10 - 2015-01-19 05:55:11 UTC
Quote:
Anyway as I said, my own intuition agrees with yours -- that a laptop isn't going to be adequate for gaming -- and I made this thread because I want to find out from those with actual experience whether I might be wrong.

I'm hoping somebody will post and say "yes, I'm playing EVE on a Brand X laptop and it works great" or the contrary.

Here are some pics of eve 2 acc in fixed window mode

Client a

Client b

Short vid of Far cry 4 fairly new game does not show much just how fluid or not it is w some explosions.

Lapy run

And here is what runs it(i upgraded ram w 2 additional rip jaw sticks of same size) it is over half year old so similar lapy should be cheaper some.

Mobile rig

Because >>I is too hard

Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#11 - 2015-01-19 06:18:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Starbreaker
Looks good, thanks.

And I guess I've got to check out Far Cry 4!
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-01-19 08:44:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Joe Starbreaker wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
It may be outdated, but my best advice on laptops for gaming is: buy a desktop PC. .

Your advice matches my intuition, but I am old and remember laptops that I bought in the 1990s and 2000s. Maybe we are indeed outdated. I'd like to hear what the young whippersnappers think about the issue.
It's feasible, just make sure your laptop is an a smooth hard surface... like a desk, so it can vent the heat properly.

If you try to use that on a couch or bed you'll either get your thighs burned or your laptop kills itselfs and sets something afire in the process. No kidding on the burned skin tho I haven't checked on the set things afire part.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2015-01-19 09:15:14 UTC
I played EVE on a Dell XPS Gen 2 laptop from 2005. As long as it doesn't use integrated video, you should be fine.
Solecist Project
#14 - 2015-01-19 11:09:54 UTC
I recently bought me a MSI GE60 for 720 bucks.
Cheap, but fast! :D

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#15 - 2015-01-19 18:05:55 UTC
Here I go:

I have a desktop that plays eve.. but that's not this topic

I also have:

Asus (I forget the model, its not right in front of me) with an i7, nividia card (again not in front of me) with 2gb of dedicated ram, and 8 gigs of ram. I got it for 999 at best buy, and it plays eve well. Though I have not done a lot with it, as I need to hoop up my mouse, but one client on high did not lag.

I also have an Asus t200ta (transformer book) and in testing it played eve on low settings with not much lag. But I don't think i'll use it for eve for more then checking mail, market, and maybe scanning.

Honestly, most can handle eve on low settings if the graphics is not integrated. I had two integrated laptops and they would choke on eve.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Black Panpher
CastleKickers
Rote Kapelle
#16 - 2015-01-19 18:26:34 UTC
I used to use a MSI gaming laptop, it was great until it melted.
Joe Starbreaker
Starbreaker and Sons
#17 - 2015-01-19 18:38:04 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:

Did you ever try running two clients at once, i.e. a main and an alt?
Solecist Project
#18 - 2015-01-19 18:41:41 UTC
Joe Starbreaker wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:

Did you ever try running two clients at once, i.e. a main and an alt?

I ran three clients at low settings on a seperate screen with 1920x1080.

Each client at around 1060x1050 ...

... on a much older machine.

This one should run them on high easily.

Dedicating CPU to each client helps to.

It's a tad loud under load though. :)

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Mina Sebiestar
#19 - 2015-01-19 18:44:57 UTC
Black Panpher wrote:
I used to use a MSI gaming laptop, it was great until it melted.

Old types of Dominator or such those thing are single fan w arctic blast boost cool me long time...... translation it will melt thermal paste within a year and than will eat silicon in chips,and die on desktop screen due to temps.....

Because >>I is too hard

jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#20 - 2015-01-19 19:24:32 UTC
wife bought an alienware ( read this as a souped up Dell. which is essentially what it is ) it cost around £1000 .. runs all her games without any problems at all in addition to all her own work stuff ...

seriously considering getting one meslelf as you can custom hardware the laptop specs so if you do it right as in less HDD space but more ram and memory it be done relatively reasonably price wise .

im an IT hardware /software engineer so I allways keep a keen eye on this stuff...I have to ..its my job
12Next page