These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Thermodynamic, 4 or 5?

Author
Kaos Itinen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-01-07 03:24:15 UTC
So, I'm going to be pirating with a small group of people, just two others. I'm going to be behind both them quite really far, roughly 150 km to 200 km. Will I really need Thermodynamics trained to 5 for doing this? I know it's good for PVP, though it's only an additional 5% more then the fourth level, and I don't plan on getting hit much. If someone does get even remotely close, I plan on just warping away. I do plan on taking it to level 4, I'm just debating over level 5, if I'll need it. I wont be using it a ton, it's more if I need it I have it there to use kind of thing.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#2 - 2015-01-07 04:41:53 UTC
Many skills are more important than Thermodynamics V.
But: it is a good skill to have at V.

I feel like you might fall into that category. It's sort of one of those "If you have to ask" kind of questions.
Get it to IV for now and work on ships, weapons, fitting, and tank skills for awhile.
After you've overheated fifty fights or so, you'll know.
Shayla Sh'inlux
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-01-09 11:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Shayla Sh'inlux
Quote:

roughly 150 km to 200 km. Will I really need Thermodynamics trained to 5 for doing this? I know it's good for PVP, though it's only an additional 5% more then the fourth level, and I don't plan on getting hit much. If someone does get even remotely close, I plan on just warping away.

I don't think you quite understand what Thermodynamics does.

It doesn't reduce damage done to you. It reduces damage done to modules when you overheat them. Overheating is great for solo and very small gang PvP. It's utterly pointless when camping gates with a few buds and ganking people jumping in and run from anything that looks like a fight, which from the look of your post, you plan to do.

So, no, don't train Thermodynamics V.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-01-09 19:02:37 UTC
thermo excels in small engagements and very large engagements that involve carriers, in between not so much but still extremely useful
O'nira
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-01-13 08:16:01 UTC
its not a good skill when you compare it to other skills that you can train, in my case anyway.

you may have all the other skills you want and then this is a good train.
Justin Zaine
#6 - 2015-01-15 03:18:23 UTC
It's like the cloaking skill. Sure, lvl 5 is good to have, but not until you've trained every other important skill to at least 4 and probably all the more relevant skills or skills of a smaller time multiplier up to 5 as well.

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.

He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#7 - 2015-01-15 03:34:25 UTC
Justin Zaine wrote:
It's like the cloaking skill. Sure, lvl 5 is good to have, but not until you've trained every other important skill to at least 4 and probably all the more relevant skills or skills of a smaller time multiplier up to 5 as well.

I'd argue that thermodynamics at least applies to a much wider range of ships and fits -- but that's essentially right.

For perspective, I didn't train thermo 5 until I was at nearly 100mil SP. Cloaking 5 waited until over 150mil. Thermo could have been sooner. Cloaking... still not sure I needed that one. Either way, there are higher priorities.
Kaos Itinen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-01-15 21:33:00 UTC
I actually ended up just training it. I probably shouldn't have, but I have a cerebral accelerator and I was mapped for it. It was something like 7 days of training, and with wanting to do pvp it seemed like it's going to be worthwhile in the long run. It's nearly done now. Thanks to everyone for there input on this!
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#9 - 2015-01-16 05:17:22 UTC
Kaos Itinen wrote:
I actually ended up just training it.
Good news is that now when you lose a ship you won't be thinking, "Da__ it! If I'd only trained overheating to 5!!"
Kaos Itinen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-01-16 06:19:20 UTC
Hahaha. Have you ever thought that O_o? Just seemed like a good thing to get done and out of the way with, especially sense I'm focusing mostly on pvp.
Dominique Vasilkovsky
#11 - 2015-01-16 11:08:01 UTC
Kaos Itinen wrote:
Hahaha. Have you ever thought that O_o? Just seemed like a good thing to get done and out of the way with, especially sense I'm focusing mostly on pvp.

Have you ever overheated a module?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-01-17 12:34:08 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Justin Zaine wrote:

I'd argue that thermodynamics at least applies to a much wider range of ships and fits -- but that's essentially right.

For perspective, I didn't train thermo 5 until I was at nearly 100mil SP. Cloaking 5 waited until over 150mil. Thermo could have been sooner. Cloaking... still not sure I needed that one. Either way, there are higher priorities.

clearly not hero tackling enough in covops ;D
Kaos Itinen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2015-01-17 22:30:08 UTC
Yes I have overheated before. I wish that I would have waited, I mean, I could have trained other things. Though sense I'm going to mostly be doing pvp with this account, I think it's fine. From the people I've spoken with that mainly do nothing but pvp, I've been told that they don't ever regret it and it's one of the most useful skills they've trained.
Catalytic morphisis
Deep Space Coalition
Fraternity.
#14 - 2015-01-19 13:25:07 UTC
level 5 is great for solo work, Keeps them reppers/Guns going on Heat for longer which can never be a bad thing when fighting against the odds

Actual Link free and scout free solo PvP'er

Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#15 - 2015-01-20 00:03:44 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
For perspective, I didn't train thermo 5 until I was at nearly 100mil SP.

My mighty 9.1m SP main starts Thermodynamics V in a day or so. I figure since I seem to overheat a lot (especially ECM jammers) I might as well suck it up and get it over with.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Qn'qura Zalas Zula
Doomheim
#16 - 2015-01-20 00:27:56 UTC
I've certainly considered adding Thermo V in to my queue chain as I'm always overheating (and often melting) my modules as an assault frigate pilot.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Kaos Itinen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-01-20 02:09:48 UTC
With the accelerated training, it only took 7 days. It was more then worth it, to me.
Veld God
Zonk Squad
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2015-03-30 22:17:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Veld God
Shiloh Templeton wrote:
Kaos Itinen wrote:
I actually ended up just training it.
Good news is that now when you lose a ship you won't be thinking, "Da__ it! If I'd only trained overheating to 5!!"

Every single time when you OH to much your MWD and you know "x?d§ that last cycle will kill him" . But especially in Frig Dessi only Enviroments like RvB oder FW its nice to overheat the whole fight your Moduls without looking them.
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#19 - 2015-03-31 00:00:52 UTC
Having had Thermo V for a little over a month now: it was WELL worth the training time and it has already saved a number of ships.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#20 - 2015-03-31 03:30:16 UTC
Mephiztopheleze wrote:
Zhilia Mann wrote:
For perspective, I didn't train thermo 5 until I was at nearly 100mil SP.

My mighty 9.1m SP main starts Thermodynamics V in a day or so. I figure since I seem to overheat a lot (especially ECM jammers) I might as well suck it up and get it over with.

If you are training skill when you need them then you are doing it right Bear
12Next page