These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

pvp newbie looking for advice on FW

Author
Andor Rekkr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-01-15 01:16:32 UTC
Hi. A little back story, I am just now coming back to the game after about a 2 1/2 year break. I had a subscription for 2 years but quite honestly spent less than a year actually playing the game. Life got busy and I pretty much had a subscription just to keep skills going on the hope I would get back into EvE the last 14 months or so.

Anyway I pretty much just ran missions the whole time and it just wasn't fun for me anymore and I don't want to get into that again. I hear FW is a good place to start learning pvp for the more casual playtime schedule and I was curious what those in the know think is the "better" faction in terms of getting fights and learning the ropes. Was looking at either Minmatar or Gal due to being a Minmatar and either seems like it would make sense.

Or if FW isn't a good place to get into PVP would like to know some alternatives.

Thanks for the help.
Nightingale Actault
Borderland Dynamics
#2 - 2015-01-15 01:33:22 UTC
All factions have well seasoned corporations that can teach you the ropes when it comes to PvP. If you personally have an inclination to any of the Factions, be it for the items you can purchase from LP stores, the types of FW missions that you can complete bombers, or one particular corporation/alliances values; then I would recommend making your decisions along those lines. There are some other threads in this section that cover some of the good and bad of FW, and may well answer some of the other questions you may have that would lead you to your best fit as well.

Current state of the warzone is also something I would take into consideration. Minmatar are currently in a tougher position than Gallente in this regard.
Oreb Wing
Last Rites.
#3 - 2015-01-15 06:13:01 UTC
FW is a great place to learn pvp. First assemble an affordable frigate with 100+ dps and place some near a border system. Learn to have new ships prebuilt and ready. This will minimize your frustration at early losses and get you flying again before you can stress yourself out about sucking. Focus on learning ship attributes and practice d-scan. As soon as you see a ship on 1au, align to a celestial and enter warp when the creeper decides to come in. This should help you practice finding warp out points later when you are in the middle of a fight. Keep the info of the latest dscsn and study the ship that was going to kill you and that pilot's latest kb info. You should have managed to catch his name before warping off. Create safespots to do all this at. Sell LP, then die a lot using what you've learned. Don't make the same mistake twice, is good advice that's often too hard to keep. Challenge yourself. Offensive plexing should be easy in Minmatar wz atm.
Nameira Vanis-Tor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2015-01-15 11:23:54 UTC
Nightingale Actault wrote:
All factions have well seasoned corporations that can teach you the ropes when it comes to PvP. If you personally have an inclination to any of the Factions, be it for the items you can purchase from LP stores, the types of FW missions that you can complete bombers, or one particular corporation/alliances values; then I would recommend making your decisions along those lines. There are some other threads in this section that cover some of the good and bad of FW, and may well answer some of the other questions you may have that would lead you to your best fit as well.

Current state of the warzone is also something I would take into consideration. Minmatar are currently in a tougher position than Gallente in this regard.

I agree, ultimately if you are considering between Gal Mil and Min Mil there is going to be a different culture dictated by circumstances:

Gal Mil are rightly regarded as the best organised and most competent militia. If you want big fleet battles against Caldari Militia and powerful pirate groups and learn from the best go in that direction. Especially as there is a ful blown home system siege on the go, those are the best events in FW (may be a trial by fire though).

If you want to join the Min Militia there are plenty of new people joining us so you will not be out of place needing some instruction on what to do. If you want your individual efforts to have more of an impact on a warzone the Minmatar could use the help.

You should also check out the FE recruiting corps thread to see if Amy of the individual corps catches your eye.
Catherine Wolfisheim
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-01-18 12:04:51 UTC
You could spend some time doing additional research through livestreams and videos. There are things you could learn whilst avoiding burning some ISK on trial-and-error.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#6 - 2015-01-18 17:02:24 UTC
Honestly minmatar need more pilots and there are no shortage of targets on our side (Amarr) to shoot.

Probably best not to go with tlf if possible, there are plenty of active organizations like ushra Kahn and ghosts of deep space that are fighting lots of fights everyday. They tend to not be flying in 30+ gangs unless they are making a serious push to take a system usually it is small gang PVP with those groups. If you are looking for really big fights though the other war zone is better.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-01-19 15:14:14 UTC
Regardless of which militia you choose, make sure you do two very specific and very vital things:

1. Join an active PvP oriented player corporation.
2. If at all possible, base out of a system in the warzone instead of outside it.

Doing those two simple things will GUARANTEE you a completely different FW experience.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#8 - 2015-01-20 09:25:56 UTC
just read one of the 1000 threads asking the same question
Christine Peeveepeeski
Low Sec Concepts
#9 - 2015-01-20 12:46:31 UTC
Right now minmatar is really in need of active guys that are willing to learn. Problem is lack of experienced guys willing to take on hordes of newbies and manage the training well enough.

My advice to any minmatar friendly GOOD pvpers is set up a training channel for newbies of all corps in militia. Sit a few experienced guys in there and just be there to answer questions. Its worked well for us, it should do for you.