These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

We design video games, but html is a mystery to us....

Author
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#1 - 2011-12-19 15:47:04 UTC
poor
poor
poor
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#2 - 2011-12-19 15:48:17 UTC
Its because HTML is not a real word like video or games. That is why it causes confusion so easily.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#3 - 2011-12-19 15:51:07 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Its because HTML is not a real word like video or games. That is why it causes confusion so easily.

those bloody acronyms...
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2011-12-19 15:55:03 UTC
or maybe its because people who develop the game are not the same to those who ****** up forums... As i believe they are not even part of CCP but some 3rd party hired by CCP to do this...

But i dont know for sure*
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#5 - 2011-12-19 15:58:05 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
or maybe its because people who develop the game are not the same to those who ****** up forums... As i believe they are not even part of CCP but some 3rd party hired by CCP to do this...

Thought Eve forums was made by the same people who made Eve Gate, which are all in house. They may have outsourced a bit but its still as ****** as Eve Gate is.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#6 - 2011-12-19 16:00:12 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Yeah I got a strong feeling they outsourced it and are now stuck with it without any support.

Oh, by the way;

WE GOT GANKED! What?

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-12-19 16:01:30 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Thought Eve forums was made by the same people who made Eve Gate, which are all in house. They may have outsourced a bit but its still as ****** as Eve Gate is.

Could be, dont know i never used EVEgate before.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#8 - 2011-12-19 16:02:19 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Could be, dont know i never used EVEgate before.

Guess what?

Your using it now Blink

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#9 - 2011-12-19 16:11:53 UTC
The mind boggles at how terrible these forums are.

In retrospect, the old forums were awesome.

I hope everyone involved was part of the 20%, and they remain unemployed for a long, long time, so they can think about what they've done.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Jask Avan
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2011-12-19 16:17:11 UTC
I posted a thread on this advising what they should do with said people, but they deleted it. :(
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2011-12-19 16:48:33 UTC
Jask Avan wrote:
I posted a thread on this advising what they should do with said people, but they deleted it. :(

Don't be fooled.

They deleted the thread because they just don't like you, not because of the content.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-12-19 16:53:28 UTC
it is scary to imagine that the people who created the forums share a building with the guys in charge of multithreading python in a bleeding edge supercomputer
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#13 - 2011-12-19 17:01:30 UTC
You guys should actually design a website based on your OWN CMS system. This ain't WordPress, jackoffs. The type of security / authentication interfacing w/ the API they have goin' on here is pretty impressive. The site looks great. If you think all you need to know is HTML to pull this off you've gone full-******.

One should never go full-******.

People use pre-packaged CMS systems like PHP-BB and WordPress or the killboards and they think they know thing one about designing a site. That smack is funny to me.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#14 - 2011-12-19 17:05:28 UTC
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#15 - 2011-12-19 17:18:00 UTC
Akita T wrote:
These forums are a modified version of the open-source YAF ( http://yetanotherForum.Net ).
See blog : http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=902

Fair enough, but it isn't stock. Application development was required to pull this off. Getting YAF to interface w/ the API and populate it's DB w/ every EvE user had to be a big project in and of itself. The security considerations alone seem like a huge headache.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#16 - 2011-12-19 17:28:52 UTC
Crumplecorn wrote:
The mind boggles at how terrible these forums are.

In retrospect, the old forums were awesome.

I hope everyone involved was part of the 20%, and they remain unemployed for a long, long time, so they can think about what they've done.

Especially since they proudly claimed it was the culmination of 70000+ man hours of development work, only to have to take it down for another 6 months to fix all the security holes.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#17 - 2011-12-19 17:40:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Morganta
Gogela wrote:
You guys should actually design a website based on your OWN CMS system. This ain't WordPress, jackoffs. The type of security / authentication interfacing w/ the API they have goin' on here is pretty impressive. The site looks great. If you think all you need to know is HTML to pull this off you've gone full-******.

People use pre-packaged CMS systems like PHP-BB and WordPress or the killboards and they think they know thing one about designing a site. That smack is funny to me.

yup, overblown infrastructure is whats screwing the pooch here, we'd all be better off of they switched to wordpress.

and impressive is only impressive if it WORKS.
I can build a saturn V in my backyard, but nobody is going to care if it doesn't fly.

frankly I'd rather have working forums than yet another way to check in on my toons while I'm not playing, which is all evegate provides, and honestly there are other apps out there that do a better job than bloated, buggy, eve-gate

and for the record "jackoff" if these guys are so flippin great at coding, why is it they don't even have their headers correct? why are they mixing latin and utf-8 across the site and then not declaring the language?
why do they display links in a manner that makes them unusable?
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#18 - 2011-12-19 18:12:36 UTC
Morganta wrote:
yup, overblown infrastructure is whats screwing the pooch here, we'd all be better off of they switched to wordpress.

I can build a saturn V in my backyard, but nobody is going to care if it doesn't fly.

frankly I'd rather have working forums than yet another way to check in on my toons while I'm not playing, which is all evegate provides, and honestly there are other apps out there that do a better job than bloated, buggy, eve-gate

and for the record "jackoff" if these guys are so flippin great at coding, why is it they don't even have their headers correct? why are they mixing latin and utf-8 across the site and then not declaring the language?
why do they display links in a manner that makes them unusable?

Well, I am guessing here but they are using transitional markup too, which is a bit more flexible/fault tolerant. My guess would be that there is a problem with invalid byte sequences under certain circumstances when translating things from the API, maybe having to do with different languages / character set (multi-byte asian sets for example) under the API which might otherwise render a � under UTF-8. Also, as I understand it if you try to make UTF-8 handle all of that, than the byte length in the database goes from like 1-5 to 10-50 even for common cases. That could be a problem for site performance (obviously) but I wonder what it would do to Tranq's performance because the Forums do interface w/ the Tranq DB 2-ways. I would say Unicode would be best given what I see in people's bios character-wise. I don't know though. It depends on how tranq's database is set up. I would imagine if I'm wrong about everything I just said we would find the answer on tranq's DB as to why they use mixed encoding.

^ Really going out on a limb. Guessing.

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#19 - 2011-12-19 18:19:11 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Gogela wrote:

frankly I'd rather have working forums than yet another way to check in on my toons while I'm not playing, which is all evegate provides, and honestly there are other apps out t

Most apps are desktop apps designed by idiots who have no ideals of optimization and make unattractive interfaces for those that don't live in spreadsheets.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2011-12-19 18:22:31 UTC
If integration with Eve Gate is the problem then I would have to ask should the forum be apart of eve-gate? I'm not really seeing any advantage of having it so. There's no added features that I'm familiar with though I'll admit I'm not a forum warrior.

Don't ban me, bro!

123Next page