These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Love the new Exequror - Did CCP hire a genius?

First post
Author
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2015-01-14 15:56:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Caviar Liberta
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Hal Morsh wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Just as a note of clarification, the Exequror is still asymmetrical... it's just more subtle about it. Smile

So I wasn't the only one looking for asymmetry. A lot of companies only paint one side of things and just copy it, I for one like that CCP doesn't. Sometimes things don't line up when you do.

We still do that

Even if you do just make one half and mirror it, that just makes it easier to build a base model. Once that is done you just go back and start adding smaller additional pieces to the base you designed. You can do asymmetrical design with a symmetrical piece as your base.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#22 - 2015-01-14 16:08:45 UTC
Dave Viker wrote:

Everything has beauty in it, somewhere. The old Blackbird, for example, had its beauty somewhere deep inside, not visible to our eyes.

This is what parents tell ugly children btw Big smile
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2015-01-14 19:02:15 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dave Viker wrote:

Everything has beauty in it, somewhere. The old Blackbird, for example, had its beauty somewhere deep inside, not visible to our eyes.

The "beauty" of the old Blackbird was at the point of its explosion. Enough said.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#24 - 2015-01-14 20:01:24 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dave Viker wrote:

Relevant.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Provence Tristram
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#25 - 2015-01-15 05:19:03 UTC
I liked it at first glance, but have gradually soured on the new design. I'm starting to fear these recustomizations.
Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#26 - 2015-01-15 06:09:08 UTC
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Hal Morsh wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Just as a note of clarification, the Exequror is still asymmetrical... it's just more subtle about it. Smile

So I wasn't the only one looking for asymmetry. A lot of companies only paint one side of things and just copy it, I for one like that CCP doesn't. Sometimes things don't line up when you do.

We still do that

FaithInCCP == FaithInCCP--

:P
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#27 - 2015-01-15 06:27:01 UTC
Sirinda wrote:

FaithInCCP == FaithInCCP--

FaithInCCP--;

that's enough,
FoxFire Ayderan
#28 - 2015-01-15 07:06:07 UTC
To be fair not all asymmetry in the ships is bad. The Catalyst comes to mind, which is a good looking ship despite being asymmetrical. As is the Myrmidon (which I guess still does have bi-lateral symmetry).

It does come down to how it is done. Big bulgy things hanging off or growing out (like the Torax) or "missing limbs" (like the old Exequror) or broken limbs (like the Atron) or bent and crooked (like the Imicus) are NOT the right way to do asymmetry. In general people are going to be turned off from that. And as much as I otherwise like the look of Gallente ships, these bizarre design choices ruin them.

Provence Tristram
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#29 - 2015-01-15 07:33:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Provence Tristram
FoxFire Ayderan wrote:
To be fair not all asymmetry in the ships is bad. The Catalyst comes to mind, which is a good looking ship despite being asymmetrical. As is the Myrmidon (which I guess still does have bi-lateral symmetry).

It does come down to how it is done. Big bulgy things hanging off or growing out (like the Torax) or "missing limbs" (like the old Exequror) or broken limbs (like the Atron) or bent and crooked (like the Imicus) are NOT the right way to do asymmetry. In general people are going to be turned off from that. And as much as I otherwise like the look of Gallente ships, these bizarre design choices ruin them.

Unlike human faces, where we all -- arguably -- have some kind of baseline preference for certain appearance traits (symmetry being one of them; there have been a number of studies done that help explain why beauty is beauty), a predilection towards a certain style of car, or boat, or house, or... yes... spaceship is likely affected by any number of non-preprogramed life experiences, sensations, and simple, inexplicable want (the very intangible stuff that makes us human).

The long and short of it is that this is outer space, and you could build a ship that looked like anything, ranging from this, to this, to this... to even something like this. And while some (or even all) of those designs might not be any particular person's cup of tea, physics being what they are, they could probably all be thrust through the void.

What you see as 'bizarre design choices' are, for many of us, what gives the Gallente ships their character. The Gallente are arguably, far and away, the most artistic race in EVE. They almost hedonistic when it comes to an over-the-top flair for the dramatic, the avant-garde, and, yes, the needless.

There is expression even in the superfluous, and while I am sure that every little dangly bit and protruding nacelle probably serves some kind of purpose, the Gallente have chosen to exhibit things where they are due not to need alone, but because -- for them -- form matters. (It matters to the Amarr, too, clearly... though they also follow a far more traditional design approach that involves more basal attempts to overawe and intimidate). If function ruled over all form, then every ship in EVE would look like either those of the Caldari or the Minmatar (and thank goodness they don't).

Yes, I see a sleeker, more rugged, and arguably more battle-ready boat in the new Exequror. But I also see a ship that lost a lot of what made it a very cool and exceedingly unique part of this little universe. The new Exequror is something more than what it once was, but also something less... and that's not a happy thing. It really makes me worry about changes to other 'scorned-but-beloved' Gallente ships like the Imicus, the Thorax, and the ever-present Dominix.

I welcome very much improvements to the models. I view with increasing fret changes so dramatic that they destroy the identity of the very thing they are trying to upgrade.
LeFitz Chevalerie
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2015-01-15 13:26:30 UTC
FoxFire Ayderan wrote:

I also prefer asymmetric design. To everyone its own. Big smile
Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#31 - 2015-01-15 16:23:24 UTC
There are so many reasons why any (RL) spacecraft will be as symmetrical as possible it ain't even funny.

Center of thrust, weight due to reinforced structures, ease of manufacture, to name just a few.
Saturday Beerun
Lost Ark Enterprises
#32 - 2015-01-15 16:31:47 UTC
Arline Kley wrote:
Saturday Beerun wrote:
It is still an ugly Gallente ship.Would be nice to find a real improvement to their ships.

You have the Celestis to keep you going.

I like the megas,catalyst too.Mostly they're too bad to be seen out in unless its dark.Wait a sec.Its space!!

I Want The Black Vindicator Back

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#33 - 2015-01-15 16:35:25 UTC
Ruskarn Andedare wrote:
there's something about the engines that isn't right now.

Now?

At least now the ship looks like it's capable of flying in a straight line.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

FoxFire Ayderan
#34 - 2015-01-15 17:04:31 UTC  |  Edited by: FoxFire Ayderan
Provence Tristram wrote:

The long and short of it is that this is outer space, and you could build a ship that looked like anything, ranging from this, to this, to this... to even something like this. And while some (or even all) of those designs might not be any particular person's cup of tea, physics being what they are, they could probably all be thrust through the void.

Putting aside the comical ones (like Spaceballs), the Star Wars medical frigate is obviously not designed for beauty, but function (presumably), and yet it's still not deformed looking and has at least one axis of symmetry (and nothing malformed growing off of it at a weird angle). One does not get the same sense of 'something is not right or sickly with this ship' as some of the Gallente (or other non symmetrical) ships engender.

Look at the Throax. The asymmetry on the top is not so terrible as is that giant offset 'thing' hanging from the bottom. If it was repeated on the other side, or if the single one was centered, it would look considerably better (though certainly more *ahem* - which EVE designers might want to avoid, but the Gallente certainly wouldn't ).

Can you imagine the Enterprise with one of its nacelles missing (with the single one in the same position), or the saucer section tilted sideways at an angle? People would think there is something wrong with the ship, and it would not be considered particularly attractive or a good 'artistic' design choice by the vast majority of people.

I think perhaps the idea is to have at least one axis of symmetry before things really start to look 'off'.
Yahrr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2015-01-15 18:01:07 UTC
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Hal Morsh wrote:
[quote=Ranger 1]A lot of companies only paint one side of things and just copy it, I for one like that CCP doesn't.

We still do that

It would be stupid not to do it. It saves half the work, half the time and half the money. But in certain applications it's not the best thing to do, for example with patterned textures like the Gallente Navy camo. On most ships the mirror line is hidden or disturbed by parts with another texture, by geometric details, or just happens to make a good looking mirror line. There are even a few ships that have asymmetric camo on a symmetric hull.
On the Exequror the mirror line is visible over the complete length of the hull, with the exception for the little part on top between the engines. The camo pattern of the Navy Exequror enhances the mirror line so much that it hijacks your focus when looking at the ship.

There are a few more problems with he new model IMO. They're all details, but it's the details that make or break the immersion in the game. The ship has seven engines, but only three trails. I can imagine seven trails might be a bit much and look overdone, but having trails on the smaller engines, but not on the big main engines looks strange.
The warp engines light up when moving sub-warp as well, but in the out-of-warp rotation. I'd say if they're warp engines, they should only light up together with the warp animation. This also saves two trails, making it a total of five for sub-warp movement, which would look correct without looking overdone.
The bumpmap on the main body of the ship is very light, almost to the point where you need Photoshop to make them visible. It removes a lot of detail from the ship, making it look like the same or even lower definition than the old model.
The engines on the sides of the model are eight-sided cylinders. Every polygon saved is another one and for a game that's extremely important, but saving them on clearly visible supposed-to-be-round edges which even contrast to the background in almost every angle isn't the best way to go.
The satellite dishes to the sides of the ship... They look important, they look like delicate equipment, yet they are completely unprotected on a ship that is likely to see clouds of shrapnel.
The T2 model additions are missing for the Oneiros. They are even highlighted on the presentation sketch, so why are they missing?

Stuff like redoing POS, giving low sec piracy and carebear activities some love and fixing crappy market mechanics like the 0.01 isk fest is much more important, but if you're working at improving the immersion in the game you shouldn't ignore the details. The same goes for that we now have really beautiful asteroid belts, but the ships still go for a complete and abrupt stop the moment before they enter warp.
Ro Fenrios
Armilies Corporation
Domain Research and Mining Inst.
#36 - 2015-01-15 18:10:03 UTC
The old exe looked just fine. I do like the new one as well. Now lets talk about scythe....
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#37 - 2015-01-15 18:46:13 UTC
The Hyperion is symmetrical.

And neglected. Major drone boat, no drone bay.

And the Imicus still sucks. Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus Imicus

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#38 - 2015-01-17 20:52:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Hal Morsh
Provence Tristram wrote:
FoxFire Ayderan wrote:

Unlike human faces, where we all -- arguably -- have some kind of baseline preference for certain appearance traits (symmetry being one of them; there have been a number of studies done that help explain why beauty is beauty), a predilection towards a certain style of car, or boat, or house, or... yes... spaceship is likely affected by any number of non-preprogramed life experiences, sensations, and simple, inexplicable want (the very intangible stuff that makes us human).

What you see as 'bizarre design choices' are, for many of us, what gives the Gallente ships their character. The Gallente are arguably, far and away, the most artistic race in EVE. They almost hedonistic when it comes to an over-the-top flair for the dramatic, the avant-garde, and, yes, the needless.

There is expression even in the superfluous, and while I am sure that every little dangly bit and protruding nacelle probably serves some kind of purpose, the Gallente have chosen to exhibit things where they are due not to need alone, but because -- for them -- form matters. (It matters to the Amarr, too, clearly... though they also follow a far more traditional design approach that involves more basal attempts to overawe and intimidate). If function ruled over all form, then every ship in EVE would look like either those of the Caldari or the Minmatar (and thank goodness they don't).

Yes, I see a sleeker, more rugged, and arguably more battle-ready boat in the new Exequror. But I also see a ship that lost a lot of what made it a very cool and exceedingly unique part of this little universe. The new Exequror is something more than what it once was, but also something less... and that's not a happy thing. It really makes me worry about changes to other 'scorned-but-beloved' Gallente ships like the Imicus, the Thorax, and the ever-present Dominix.

I welcome very much improvements to the models. I view with increasing fret changes so dramatic that they destroy the identity of the very thing they are trying to upgrade.

YEah don't touch the thorax. Or at least keep the spinny things on the interdiction version if you do.

CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Hal Morsh wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

We still do that

Well then at least CCP does it properly.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Memphis Baas
#39 - 2015-01-17 21:34:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Provence Tristram wrote:

Unlike human faces, [...] a predilection towards a certain style of car, or boat, or house, or... yes... spaceship is likely affected by any number of non-preprogramed life experiences, sensations, and simple, inexplicable want (the very intangible stuff that makes us human).

Counter-point. The part of the brain that recognizes patterns as faces and immediately rates the symmetry doesn't turn off when we look at other things.

Symmetrical ships will appeal to more people than non-symmetrical ships; the trick is that we have, what, more than 200 ships in the game and they all have to be unique and easily recognizable somehow. Fortunately, the world probably has several thousand different models of cars and vehicles, and they're mostly symmetrical, so I think the issue with the ships already has solutions.

EDIT: Regarding "genius", it's more like they had Picasso-wannabe art designers and now they switched back to Raphael / Renaissance. I like the changes; keep the abstract in all the meta and stats we have to deal with when looking at the ships, and let their shapes be realistic.
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#40 - 2015-01-17 22:44:26 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
[quote=Provence Tristram]
it's more like they had Picasso-wannabe art designers

All my Probes/Cheetahs are named PicassoBird
Previous page123Next page