These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Oceanus Mac Issues Thread

First post First post
Author
CCP Gargant
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2014-09-30 11:17:20 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
Oceanus has been successfully deployed to Tranquility!

The release brings a host of additions and fixes to the game including the launch of French localization; new cloaking effects; the beginnings of the module Tiericide; an overhauled opt-in notification system; new burner missions; easier importing and exporting of fittings; and many more.

Check out the release page for Oceanus here, and read the dev blog Coming in Oceanus by the Executive Producer for EVE Online, CCP Seagull.

Most of all remember to fly safe.

Please post any Mac issues you come across in this thread. For general feedback on Oceanus, you can use this thread.

CCP Gargant | EVE Universe esports Coordinator

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#2 - 2014-09-30 14:24:04 UTC
From the Dev blog:

"CIDER upgrade for the EVE Mac client

The underpinnings of the EVE Mac client gets a big update with Oceanus that addresses several issues."

But I see nothing about this in the patch notes, nor has there been a Dev blog about it...or anything. Did it happen? What changed?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Alisyana
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-09-30 16:14:51 UTC
Quitting one client while running multiple clients kills the wineserver process instead of the thread it's running on. #fail

**Definition of "SD" (Self Destruct) = "It's like running up to someone to kick them in the balls, they see you and proceed to kick themselves in the balls, and then laugh at you for denying someone a chance to kick them in the balls." ** - Celery Man

Sir John Halsey
#4 - 2014-09-30 19:46:29 UTC
Alisyana wrote:
Quitting one client while running multiple clients kills the wineserver process instead of the thread it's running on. #fail

I guess they still didn't fix the bug.
I have a work around for this and doesn't involve having 2x copy of EVE installed.

If you have some knowledge of bash and you want to take the risk of messing things up, let me know and i'll give you my shell script.
Quetz Alkoatl
#5 - 2014-09-30 19:48:46 UTC
Whatever they did - it is not working. Got frozen while checking the new cloaking animation. Back to WINE, where I can play EVE normaly.

Mac client still messed up.

Sir John Halsey
#6 - 2014-09-30 19:53:25 UTC
Quetz Alkoatl wrote:
Whatever they did - it is not working. Got frozen while checking the new cloaking animation. Back to WINE, where I can play EVE normaly.

I tried running Wine once and the fans were spinning out of control :)
On my macbook pro retina, It seems way more resources intensive for some reason running on wine.
Rigg Asanari
Vertex Unlimited
#7 - 2014-10-01 04:11:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Rigg Asanari
I had the client freeze many times after the patch yesterday, with "force quit" as the only way to get out. Each time as the autopilot approaches a gate to jump. I was running a client clone created by the create clone script (but mostly with no other client running).
Hebus Zanheros
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-10-01 11:54:12 UTC
I got this with the today update :

Quote:
Exception during UpdaterModule.Update
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "lib/update.pyc", line 101, in run
File "lib/update.pyc", line 282, in _Update
File "lib/update.pyc", line 254, in ApplyPatch
File "lib/steps/applyHttpPatch.pyc", line 38, in Run
File "zsync/zsync.pyc", line 698, in ApplyPatch
File "zsync/zsync.pyc", line 698, in ApplyPatch
File "zsync/zsync.pyc", line 651, in PatchFile
File "zsync/zsync.pyc", line 642, in PatchFile
File "zsync/fileSync.pyc", line 382, in GetBlock

I did a restart, and I have no other process that lock anything. Any Idea ?
Sis Ta
Ravenstar Business Solutions
#9 - 2014-10-01 13:42:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Sis Ta
After Oceanus, game freezes after about 2 mins ingame no matter what I am doing. Force quit is the only option. Very frustraiting. I dont run multiple clients, tried to restart (in case of conflictling programs or whatever) - no improvement. Macbook pro 17, OS X 10.9.5

Edit: In previous versions of the game I fixed the freezing by setting "prevent app nap" in options for the client file. It helped me greatly before and the game didnt freeze at all (although it did especially in heavy fights) - but now it doesn't help.
Kimimaro Yoga
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-10-01 13:49:38 UTC
Sir John Halsey wrote:
Alisyana wrote:

I have a work around for this and doesn't involve having 2x copy of EVE installed.

If you have some knowledge of bash and you want to take the risk of messing things up, let me know and i'll give you my shell script.

There's a far simpler workaround for this bug. The problem occurs when one client hands foreground control to another running application, and that second application is another Eve client running off the same wineserver instance. So before you quit an Eve client, click on some non-Eve app to bring it to the foreground, then bring to foreground and quit the Eve client. Foreground control gets passed to the non-Eve app, then you can click on other running Eve clients and they continue responding normally.

Interesting tidbit: If you have multiple clients open when the server shuts down, and they all display the disconnect message, this bug doesn't happen. Quit one and the next in line remains responsive.

Now recruiting: http://dogfacedesign.com/index.php/Recruiting-Posters/recruiting-poster-patr3

Overlord PinKy
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-10-01 23:08:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Overlord PinKy
Think this is related to the release.

The full install I have on my HD is now over 30 gigs.

Clients are crashing more than ever, cloned as well as original. Delayed responses to clicking etc.

Love a product that causes me to fix it when it's new.
KraK Oziane
EVE University
Ivy League
#12 - 2014-10-02 11:53:38 UTC
My Mac client is unable to log in since yesterday (01/10)......... The download bar don't ever starts. I'm stick at ver. 2.1.826897 , and if this is the last is not working at all. Any solution?
Chtolo JenHoch
I hate stupid people
#13 - 2014-10-02 15:34:19 UTC
Game is mostly unplayable atm. It worked after the first of the Oceanus patches, had no crashes, but after the second one it's completely unusable. When I log in it takes between 2-5mins and the game crashes. If I open any windows, like industry or skilll, it always crashes right away. If I don't switch to map mode immediate when I log in it also crashes. By far the worst instability I've experience while playing on mac.
Bash Dromeda
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2014-10-07 21:17:48 UTC
For the past several days I have been unable to successfully launch the client. The launcher works fine, downloads and applies patches, and logs in. But when I attempt to launch the game it crashes every time.

It's a late-2012 iMac, 8 GB, 3.4 GHz i5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running 10.9.5

My MacBook Air, however, runs the updated Eve client just fine.

I've completely uninstalled the client and reinstalled with a fresh download, including blowing away the ~/Library/Application\ Support/EVE\ Online directory, but to no avail.

I have a support ticket open with full details, including the full error message, in the "Mac" category.
Bash Dromeda
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2014-10-10 01:49:04 UTC
After a few puzzling days, I can now reliably reproduce this crash, and reliably make it not happen as well. The problem is a conflict with the Razer Kraken 7.1 surround sound headphones driver. I updated the Razer Synapse software and drivers, but it still happens.

Oddly, this crash happens on my late-2012 iMac, but not my mid-2012 MacBook Air.

• If my iMac's system audio is set to the Kraken, the Eve client will segfault.
  • If the Eve client is already running and I switch the audio to my Kraken, Eve immediately crashes.
  • If the system sound is set to internal speakers, there are no problems.

Workaround: Install Soundflower and use it as an audio intermediary between the Eve client and the Razer driver.

• Set the system sound to use Soundflower in 2 channel mode.
  • Use the Soundflowerbed app to set Soundflower's to output to the Kraken.
  • Everything works just fine and the audio feeds to the headphones properly.

If anyone experiences this crash, the key is to not directly expose the Eve client to the Kraken's audio interface. Note that I don't have any advanced audio settings enabled.

Hope this helps somebody!

- Bash
Tahnil
Gunboat Commando
#16 - 2014-10-12 15:32:50 UTC
Kimimaro Yoga wrote:
Sir John Halsey wrote:
Alisyana wrote:

There's a far simpler workaround for this bug. The problem occurs when one client hands foreground control to another running application, and that second application is another Eve client running off the same wineserver instance. So before you quit an Eve client, click on some non-Eve app to bring it to the foreground, then bring to foreground and quit the Eve client. Foreground control gets passed to the non-Eve app, then you can click on other running Eve clients and they continue responding normally.

Interesting tidbit: If you have multiple clients open when the server shuts down, and they all display the disconnect message, this bug doesn't happen. Quit one and the next in line remains responsive.

I think that‘s a good one, but there is an even simpler solution: ALT-CMD-Esc, then kill the client process. You have to focus the would-be-killed EVE client beforehand, then it is already correctly selected in the kill window.
Parchdroned
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-10-29 15:36:03 UTC
Alisyana wrote:

This ... x 100000000 PLEASE FIX DRIVING ME CRAY CRAY
Cyan Kali
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2015-01-14 11:52:43 UTC
Bash Dromeda wrote:
After a few puzzling days, I can now reliably reproduce this crash, and reliably make it not happen as well. The problem is a conflict with the Razer Kraken 7.1 surround sound headphones driver. I updated the Razer Synapse software and drivers, but it still happens.

Oddly, this crash happens on my late-2012 iMac, but not my mid-2012 MacBook Air.

• If my iMac's system audio is set to the Kraken, the Eve client will segfault.
  • If the Eve client is already running and I switch the audio to my Kraken, Eve immediately crashes.
  • If the system sound is set to internal speakers, there are no problems.

Workaround: Install Soundflower and use it as an audio intermediary between the Eve client and the Razer driver.

• Set the system sound to use Soundflower in 2 channel mode.
  • Use the Soundflowerbed app to set Soundflower's to output to the Kraken.
  • Everything works just fine and the audio feeds to the headphones properly.

If anyone experiences this crash, the key is to not directly expose the Eve client to the Kraken's audio interface. Note that I don't have any advanced audio settings enabled.

Hope this helps somebody!

- Bash

Hi there,
I had the exact same problem with my Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma on my iMac. I tried the workaround with the soundflower and it actually worked, but the sounflowerbed app crashed a lot of times after setting up the audio routing.
But i found a much easier work around.
I opened the Razer Synapse app and just changed the Kraken configuration to 2.0 (stereo). I know it is not surround anymore, but it works fine. No more Eve Client crashes, sound is really good and I don`t need the imo buggy soundflower software.

Thanks Bash for your nice workaround! Kept me from going completely crazy Blink

Cheers Cyan
ISD Supogo
ISD BH
ISD Alliance
#19 - 2015-01-17 14:27:05 UTC
Locking this topic since Oceanus is now obsolete by three subsequent patches to avoid further necroposting.

ISD BH Supogo

Bughunter

Equipment Certification and Anomaly Investigations Division (ECAID)

Interstellar Services Department