These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Military mission 3 questions

Author
Kiri Kaneko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-01-12 11:13:29 UTC
So I've finished business and started military and it was going well but now I'm stuck here

I got in my new Atrus (Atrus? Atron? I can't remember XD) and warped to the location and there was like 6 enemies, one was sending me mocking messages. There were 2 drones, one was a webber. And about 4 attackers. The attackers were close so I shot them with my light electron with antimatter S. I was able to shoot down all the attackers since they were about 2km but thats when I ran into problems

The drones were both at 6km from me, one had me webbed. I was still in my velator at the time and I was instructed to web them, so I webbed the webber drone and tried to close in on it. Unfortunately I couldnt move even a metre close to it and wasted 100+ ammo missing it. The info on my weapon says the optimum range is 500m and falloff range is 2km.

So I warped back and got in my Atron. Servers were about to reset but I managed to ask a few questions on chat. I didn't have time to get some clear answers really but my understanding from what we said was:

1) The way to beat kiters is to use drones, but I don't know which drones, what drones should I use? Do I need a skill for this?

2) A webifier will let me close in on them, it didn't

3) A nitro boost will let me close in on them, I couldn't use mine since it said its a 'passive module' or something

4) I need a new ship. I asked what and they told me to look at the info and work it out myself. I forgot what all the ships I have are called... I have my velator, my mining frigate, another one I got at the end of the business section and the Atrus I just got. The one from the end of business was dead slow but had high hp. Survival wasn't my issue closing in on them or hitting them at a range was so I rejected this. The mining frigate sucked all around for fighting, but the Atrus was faster than the velator a bit, had higher hp too so I think this one?

5) Fit better weapons/ammo. This is what I was asking the most about. My understanding so far is antimatter ammo halves my effective range. Tungsten ammo increases it but does lower damage. So I should switch to tungsten ammo to hit them? Also railguns are longer range, they're only 75mm but they said thats alright, but said I would be better with 125mm railguns. If I can afford a 125mm railgun and tungsten ammo should I fit those? Onto my Atrus?

Summary: So am I correct in thinking I need some kind of drone (which) on my Atrus, a drone skill, a 125mm railgun and tungsten ammo? Is this sufficient to beat this mission?
Concord Guy's Cousin
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-01-12 12:22:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Concord Guy's Cousin
Kiri Kaneko wrote:
1) The way to beat kiters is to use drones, but I don't know which drones, what drones should I use? Do I need a skill for this?

3) A nitro boost will let me close in on them, I couldn't use mine since it said its a 'passive module' or something

4) I need a new ship. I asked what and they told me to look at the info and work it out myself. I forgot what all the ships I have are called... I have my velator, my mining frigate, another one I got at the end of the business section and the Atrus I just got. The one from the end of business was dead slow but had high hp. Survival wasn't my issue closing in on them or hitting them at a range was so I rejected this. The mining frigate sucked all around for fighting, but the Atrus was faster than the velator a bit, had higher hp too so I think this one?

5) Fit better weapons/ammo. This is what I was asking the most about. My understanding so far is antimatter ammo halves my effective range. Tungsten ammo increases it but does lower damage. So I should switch to tungsten ammo to hit them? Also railguns are longer range, they're only 75mm but they said thats alright, but said I would be better with 125mm railguns. If I can afford a 125mm railgun and tungsten ammo should I fit those? Onto my Atrus?

Summary: So am I correct in thinking I need some kind of drone (which) on my Atrus, a drone skill, a 125mm railgun and tungsten ammo? Is this sufficient to beat this mission?

1: You're Gallente, you should already have some drone skills IIRC, your basic racial drone is the Hobgoblin I

2: A webifier slows down your target, making it easier to hit, range is about 10KM IIRC. A side effect of them moving slower is that you may be able to close in on them, it depends on how fast they can go while webbed.

3: I'm not sure what you mean by nitro boost, the module you're after is an Afterburner, which is an active module, not passive. It increases your speed, even when webbed although its effect is reduced.

4: Atron or Velator should be fine for the mission in question, bear in mind that the Atron doesn't have a drone bay, whereas your Velator does.

5: Antimatter is a close range ammo, used with blasters the range is really short but the damage is monstrous (relatively speaking), used with railguns the range will be longer but the damage will be less. 75 mm railguns should get the job done for the mission you're doing regardless of the ammo you use.

FYI range and fall off explained

ISD LackOfFaith ~ "Your Catalyst was a hamster, and your Retriever smelt of elderberries"

NPC Forum Alt, because reasons.

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-01-12 12:55:38 UTC
Concord Guy's Cousin wrote:

1: You're Gallente, you should already have some drone skills IIRC, your basic racial drone is the Hobgoblin I

Nope, Gallente does not come with the Drones Skill as standard; maybe this was the case once, but certainly not anymore. The skillbook is offered to you later on, though.
Kiri Kaneko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-01-12 13:16:14 UTC
The Railgun with tungsten ammo made short work of the webber, plus the Atron is faster than my velator so it was closing in slowly anyway

Thanks for the advice :)

Is it possible to fit my atron with a drone bay?
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-01-12 13:34:51 UTC
Kiri Kaneko wrote:

2: A webifier slows down your target, making it easier to hit, range is about 10KM IIRC. A side effect of them moving slower is that you may be able to close in on them, it depends on how fast they can go while webbed.

3: I'm not sure what you mean by nitro boost, the module you're after is an Afterburner, which is an active module, not passive. It increases your speed, even when webbed although its effect is reduced.

4: Atron or Velator should be fine for the mission in question, bear in mind that the Atron doesn't have a drone bay, whereas your Velator does.

5: Antimatter is a close range ammo, used with blasters the range is really short but the damage is monstrous (relatively speaking), used with railguns the range will be longer but the damage will be less. 75 mm railguns should get the job done for the mission you're doing regardless of the ammo you use.

FYI range and fall off explained

1. Nope. No race starts with Drone skills. Each race starts with gun related skills to that race. So you have to train up Drone skills.

Drones III + Light scout drone operation I = enough to field drones.

2. A web can make you close in on a target. If your target is faster without a web then you, but slower with a web...a web can make you close in on a target. However, as you point out, the main duty is to slow something down.

3. Yep. Afterburners & Microwarpdrives are active modules. My likely guess is that the OP used overdrive module or something that increases basespeed but is passive.

4. End of business gives you the Nereus which is NOT a combat ship in the first place but a glorified U-haul vessel (aka, meant to ship stoff from A to B). Your best bet IMO would be a prop-fitted Atron

Highslots:
3 x Blasters (same type fo all of them)

Mid slots:
1 x Afterburner
1 x Stasis webifier
1 x Capacitor slot (as you likely need cap support with low skills)

Low slots:
1 x Damage Control
1 x Magnetic field stabilizer
1 x Small armor repairer

* Only use the armor repairer if you are taking armor damage. Leave it off if you don't need repairs.
* If needed, pulse the afterburner to keep in range.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-01-12 13:51:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Frank Millar
Kiri Kaneko wrote:
The Railgun with tungsten ammo made short work of the webber, plus the Atron is faster than my velator so it was closing in slowly anyway

Nope. Ships are what they are. You can improve certain stats with skills, but you can't add stuff that isn't already there to begin with.

For a Drone Frigate, try the Tristan (you'll be given one at a certain point).
Tyape
Love the DaKa
#7 - 2015-01-12 15:21:46 UTC
Frank Millar wrote:
Kiri Kaneko wrote:

Nope. Ships are what they are. You can improve certain stats with skills, but you can't add stuff that isn't already there to begin with.

For a Drone Frigate, try the Tristan (you'll be given one at a certain point).

Well, this is not exactly true. Technically, you can add a lot of 'new stuff' to your ship, like guns, probe launchers, various scanners etc. It just so happens to be that you cannot add more drone bay space. (Carriers can fit drone control units though which allow having more than 5 drones out at once).
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2015-01-12 18:00:57 UTC
You need friends in game. Find a corp friendly to new players. You will have a rough time trying to go it alone and starter corps are often filled with trolls and bitter old vet's alts stuck in there for years to avoid war decs. If you have someone that you can ask questions of in real time this will be much easier.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Concord Guy's Cousin
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-01-12 19:16:07 UTC
Frank Millar wrote:

Nope, Gallente does not come with the Drones Skill as standard; maybe this was the case once, but certainly not anymore. The skillbook is offered to you later on, though.
Whoops my bad, that's what I get for posting at the end of a long day

ISD LackOfFaith ~ "Your Catalyst was a hamster, and your Retriever smelt of elderberries"

NPC Forum Alt, because reasons.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-01-12 19:38:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
The easiest way to answer your question is to state that rookie ships are quite nearly useless as combat ships and are really just intended to get you through the basic tutorial. You should move up into one of the other free combat frigates the tutorial gives you.

Your Velator has a much lower base speed than the Atron. If you are being webbed and also webbing your target, whoever had the higher base speed still moves faster (webs just reduce your max velocity by a certain amount). I suspect the Atron would have no problem catching the npc.

You can also increase your speed by fitting an afterburner or microwarpdrive. Each has their own perks and drawbacks, which you can see in the attributes section of the items.

Atrons can't carry drones, but the Tristan is THE drone frigate and it's also Gallente. However, in this case the drones really aren't necessary. It is one solution, yes, but not the only solution by any stretch of the imagination. It's something you can look at though, if drones appeal to you. Just make sure you also learn how guns work (optimal and falloff and tracking are all important concepts in PVP and PVE).

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2015-01-12 20:28:24 UTC
Generally one carries at least 2 and sometimes 3 types of ammo:
* Long range (lowest damage)
* Short range (highest damage)
* Medium range (optional)

You should always be prepared for hitting stuff at 10 km = web range.

Example: My blaster Harpy Assault Ship has about a 2-3 km range, but I also carry long range ammo that gets me out to about 11-15 km, for those times when I'm double-webbed. An afterburner or microwarp drive (MWD) also helps, but you can't depend on it for your only solution.

Drones are of course another way out of that situation.

Also, you can usually warp out, change ships and fits, and warp back. Heck, if you have the cargo room (usually not the case in a frigate), you can carry a mobile depot and different modules, so you can refit in space.

Generally for PvE long range weapons are preferred for ease-of-use over raw damage potential.