These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Are ships stopping keeping their alignment in space now???

First post
Author
Saisin
Chao3's Rogue Operatives Corp
#1 - 2015-01-10 03:05:48 UTC
I just noticed that after stopping my ship keep its direction and angle from the direction it warped from instead of falling in line with the "horizontal plane" as it used to do...
Is this a recent change?

If yes, kuddos to CCP for finaly gettiong rid of this silly ways ships had to stop based on laws that do not apply in space!!!!!!! Big smile

Vote Borat Guereen for CSM XII

Check out the Minarchist Space Project

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#2 - 2015-01-10 03:09:13 UTC
Then they only need to remove the camera lock and jumble locations and stations around.

EVE: Free Falling.
Saisin
#3 - 2015-01-10 03:10:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Saisin
Well, I had a wrong impression, as unfortunately, ships after warping to a new location or aligning to a point in space and then stopping still pivot themselves automatically to a silly 'horizontal plane' :(

Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-01-10 03:28:29 UTC
Saisin wrote:
Well, I had a wrong impression, as unfortunately, ships after warping to a new location or aligning to a point in space and then stopping still pivot themselves automatically to a silly 'horizontal plane' :(

It is an annoying, but rather miniscule part of the game. The direction a ship in EVE with 0 velocity is facing, has no effect regarding velocity, guns, aligning, or really any mechanic that will affect your ship.
Saisin
#5 - 2015-01-10 03:30:55 UTC
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:

It is an annoying, but rather miniscule part of the game. The direction a ship in EVE with 0 velocity is facing, has no effect regarding velocity, guns, aligning, or really any mechanic that will affect your ship.

I agree with you, but it simply irks me to see it happens as it takes me out of the space-sci-fi immersion I am looking for when playing Eve. May be I am too much OCD Blink

Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#6 - 2015-01-10 03:35:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Saisin wrote:
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:

I agree with you, but it simply irks me to see it happens as it takes me out of the space-sci-fi immersion I am looking for when playing Eve. May be I am too much OCD Blink

If that is the biggest reason for complaint in terms of immersiveness, then, well, you need to explore the game more, friend. Smile
Saisin
#7 - 2015-01-10 03:38:33 UTC
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:

If that is the biggest reason for complaint in terms of immersiveness, then, well, you need to explore the game more, friend. Smile

lol, you are right.. Well I am still playing and learned to ignore this minor irk.. it is just that as I came back to my computer I thought the irk had gone away and it filled me with such a dose of joy that I felt like sharing Big smile and then came the "ohh.. nevermind"

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#8 - 2015-01-10 04:06:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Back in the 90s I tried to make a wireframe graphic multiplayer space game where the environment was past the event horizon of a very huge wormhole - the kind that could take days to hit the singularity. This was an academic project, no attempt at trying to be an indie game maker or anything like that (If it were I would have used good fast C++ and not Jave with that horrible RMI crap)

So with each "tick", everything was moving towards the singularity. If you lost your fuel all you could do is drift towards your doom.

(The black hole environment was in fact my excuse for not having a skybox because the graphics were already at 5 FPS from 3D rendering and being on the kinds of machines available in the late 90s)

The goal of the game was to survive simply by killing other players' ships and taking their fuel. There was no way out (though that was missed in the instructions).

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#9 - 2015-01-10 04:10:54 UTC
Ships in EVE are simply stored as vectors based on movement & acceleration. The 'facing' your client shows you is client side rendered based on that movement and acceleration.
This means that if your ship is stationary, it is simply a point. It has no facing. So the client approximates by rendering you with a flat facing.
This is why large ships can enter warp sideways, because the sideways is simply just a client render, not the server facing (there is no facing on the server).

Part of the sphere mechanics of EVE.

I could have this entirely wrong not being an EVE Dev of course, but pretty sure it's right.
Herzog Wolfhammer
#10 - 2015-01-10 04:20:07 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Ships in EVE are simply stored as vectors based on movement & acceleration. The 'facing' your client shows you is client side rendered based on that movement and acceleration.
This means that if your ship is stationary, it is simply a point. It has no facing. So the client approximates by rendering you with a flat facing.
This is why large ships can enter warp sideways, because the sideways is simply just a client render, not the server facing (there is no facing on the server).

I could have this entirely wrong not being an EVE Dev of course, but pretty sure it's right.

That seems reasonable and a cheap way to "keep track" so to speak. Having to send orientation data over the pipe just takes up more space, and then you risk having to update the model rendering on the client side. Get rid of that and let the client make assumptions and it saves a ton of trouble (blast - wish I realized that back in 1998)

This would also explain why the ships do not correct themselves quickly when they come flying in sideways out of warp. The client is taking time to get the proper information and then the rendering is not instantly updated.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#11 - 2015-01-10 04:41:55 UTC
Quote:
Are ships stopping keeping their alignment in space now???

Saisin wrote:

If you stop assuming you are playing a space ship game, and instead assume you are playing a space submarine game that takes place in a fluidic universe, you will find that all things in Eve tend to make more sense.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Serene Repose
#12 - 2015-01-10 05:37:33 UTC
Who notices this sort of crap? Oh. Sorry. Ugh

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#13 - 2015-01-10 06:03:53 UTC
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:

from gate cloak I like it. when I stop to smell the flowers, and/or shoot stuff, and then hit my MJD, it is kinda annoying. especially if I'm zoomed out just enough I can't really tell where my ship is pointed.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#14 - 2015-01-10 06:43:20 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

First time I ever saw a cap do that, I thought "Huh, Pugachev's Cobra...in space! Well, maybe just ridiculously high AOA. Nice."

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Kousaka Otsu Shigure
#15 - 2015-01-10 08:19:11 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
...(If it were I would have used good fast C++ and not Jave with that horrible RMI crap)...

I was gonna point and laugh at you for using Java, if I wasn't using Visual Basic 6 right now... for a DB.

Archiver, Software Developer and Data Slave

Current Project Status: What can I make with these minerals?

Solecist Project
#16 - 2015-01-10 08:32:23 UTC
It always happened that ships didn't go horizontal.

I forgot how it works.

A long ago eve friend always complained about the "arbitrary up".

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2015-01-10 10:37:33 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Back in the 90s I tried to make a wireframe graphic multiplayer space game where the environment was past the event horizon of a very huge wormhole - the kind that could take days to hit the singularity. This was an academic project, no attempt at trying to be an indie game maker or anything like that (If it were I would have used good fast C++ and not Jave with that horrible RMI crap)

So with each "tick", everything was moving towards the singularity. If you lost your fuel all you could do is drift towards your doom.

(The black hole environment was in fact my excuse for not having a skybox because the graphics were already at 5 FPS from 3D rendering and being on the kinds of machines available in the late 90s)

The goal of the game was to survive simply by killing other players' ships and taking their fuel. There was no way out (though that was missed in the instructions).

Just out of curiosity, do you still have the files? Seems interesting.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#18 - 2015-01-10 13:25:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

That seems reasonable and a cheap way to "keep track" so to speak. Having to send orientation data over the pipe just takes up more space, and then you risk having to update the model rendering on the client side. Get rid of that and let the client make assumptions and it saves a ton of trouble (blast - wish I realized that back in 1998)

This would also explain why the ships do not correct themselves quickly when they come flying in sideways out of warp. The client is taking time to get the proper information and then the rendering is not instantly updated.

As ship facing is handled by the client, CCP could add a feature called "spaceship-like movement" as an option. If you checked it, ships would point in the direction they are accelerating rather than the direction they are moving, and they would not "settle" once they came to rest. As this is all happening client side, it would place no additional load on the server.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#19 - 2015-01-10 13:40:28 UTC
Ferni Ka'Nviiou wrote:
Saisin wrote:

Because it's just a sequence of timers. It's the glory mechanic that makes 'Bump mechanic' such a ******* nuisance.

As for your observation OP, go on test server and warp a bunch of ships to a bookmark, leave them there. Before you jump out, align them all to another location. It will look like the fleet of ships are all pointing to the same location. Now, jump on another character and head over. You get the bowling pin effect. It's pure UI.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Herzog Wolfhammer
#20 - 2015-01-10 19:56:18 UTC
Lugia3 wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you still have the files? Seems interesting.

Yes. You want them?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

12Next page