These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Is self-hauling worth it?

Author
Jyla Kenij
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-12-18 23:18:41 UTC
I have an empire alt who's been doing a little mining, missions, manufacturing, research, etc. I'm coming up on a remap (plus the bonus holiday remap) soonish and i have considered that it might be an opportune time to add some hauling ships to her repertoire. I have had fairly good experiences so far just contracting most of my bulky loads over to the public (or Red Frog) to be moved. I also haven't ever flown a ship slower than a raven, which I am told, is lightning fast compared to a freighter.

So, to those of you who can fly freighters/orcas: has it been worth it?
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-12-19 00:02:40 UTC
The orca is one of the best ships in the game. If you have an alt that can fly one, it's even better. If you are a miner and an orca alt, it's the best ship to have in high sec hands down.

A freighter is not just a 'nice to have' ship for someone that is doing serious industrial work. I can't imagine making battleships without a freighter to haul minerals to a production facility.

To answer your question, both my main and my alt can fly a freighter, an orca, and a rorqual. It's totally worth it imo.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Xuzi
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-12-19 00:48:52 UTC
I think freighters can be really handy at times when you want something moved immediately or when the destination isn't a station. (delivering raw materials to POS assembly arrays, etc) If you regularly move freighter loads of stuff a few jumps near your home base, then its probably a good investment, but if you only occasionally move freighter loads long distances, I'd probably stick to public or redfrog contracts for those. Since they rarely get blown up, you can treat the ship as an investment that you can recoup later. Again, assuming you don't get blown up. Don't haul a load that begs to be ganked by a fleet of ships.

Orca has so many uses. Can't say anything bad about them.
Jyla Kenij
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-12-19 01:50:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jyla Kenij
Well I don't "regularly," haul a freighter-load of stuff. Most of the the manufacturing I do is ammo for the mission hubs I have set up. I like to keep them all stocked with missiles, drones, and various ore and minerals I'll need for storylines and research missions. When those are topped off I roll most of the excess onto the local hub markets and trade them remotely. However; there are weeks when I have a load of extra materials in one area when i'd like them at another one of my hubs or when I want to set up a new hub base (which at present requires a contract or half a dozen trips).

I'm not entirely certain it can, but I think the orca has space for a tengu as well as most of the bulk cargo I would need to carry so, that might be the best bet for me.
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#5 - 2011-12-19 02:31:01 UTC
Unless you're into XL ammo manufacturing - an Orca will be plenty big enough (or even an Itty5, setup in a tanky version with 20-30k cargo) for most needs.

As soon as you start wanting to move 200M+ worth of cargo, the Orca is the answer, with a freighter for the bulky loads of 1.5B ISK or less.
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2011-12-19 02:55:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Unless you're into XL ammo manufacturing - an Orca will be plenty big enough (or even an Itty5, setup in a tanky version with 20-30k cargo) for most needs.

As soon as you start wanting to move 200M+ worth of cargo, the Orca is the answer, with a freighter for the bulky loads of 1.5B ISK or less.

If you can fly an Itty 5, I would just suggest going with a transport. The EHP is so much better plus you get the other nice bonuses on them. I looked at my Itty 5 the other day and almost cried at how much of a tin can it still is even with a tank fit heh.

I use the Occator and Viator constantly though for small loads.

Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#7 - 2011-12-19 03:58:52 UTC
I do a lot of hauling for myself, as I live out in the woods, so red frog isn't ideal. I also have a JF alt to move things to/from Jita out from/to here in nowhere land.

I started using an orca first, as I primarily haul minerals and ore, but soon needed a freighter to move my goods as the orca just didn't have enough space. The orca is stil a lovely ship though, good cargo capacity, decent tank if you want too(HULL TANKING FOR THE WIN! ). Ideal for a 'mobile mission base' too. You can load up your ships into it, move to the new location with everything you need, and deploy.

As to the speed of freighters.. it's a bit like this:
Undock -> click warp to gate -> go make coffee -> drink coffee -> check to see if you're in next system -> wait -> jump into system -> warp to next gate -> make some more coffe -> etc.

I highly recommend if you use a freighter to use an agility implant with the alt.. even just the 3% one makes a BIG difference.

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#8 - 2011-12-19 04:14:40 UTC
Jyla Kenij wrote:

I'm not entirely certain it can, but I think the orca has space for a tengu as well as most of the bulk cargo I would need to carry so, that might be the best bet for me.

The ship bay can carry up to 400k of assembled ships. Tengus are 92k when assembled.

And I forgot about the DSTs (they're just so slow that I prefer an Orca).
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#9 - 2011-12-19 04:52:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Jyla Kenij wrote:

I currently own:
* 1 Orca
* 4 Rhea Jumpfreighters
* 5 Charon Freighters
* 5 Bustard Deep Space Transports
* 4 Crane Blockade Runners (with T2 cargo rigs)
* 1 Badger Mark II (my first Industrial... still have it for sentimental reasons)

If you don't need them, they are worthless, but when you do they are invaluable.

Nearly all my alts can pilot a Charon and the Transports. One alt is currently training Caldari Freighter 5 (35 days left).

I use my Charon fleet to move a lot of minerals for manufacturing. My assembly lines consume several freighters of Tritanium alone.
Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2011-12-19 16:46:34 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:

I respectfully disagree. The training path for Orca's is way off the skillset for everyone but miners. It is faster and easier to train for a freighter than an Orca. I once did a full comparison; it may not be as accurate now with latest games changes and price variations: http://eve-search.com/thread/1550426-0/page/1#11

It 's totally worth it to train for freighter. If you put it to use hauling courier contracts or doing serious trading, it will easily earn you more ISK while you aren't hauling your own stuff. You could also put a contract alt into Red Frog...

Good luck!

Bokononist

Jyla Kenij
Doomheim
#11 - 2011-12-19 18:16:31 UTC
Yeah, I had noticed the orca is a longer train.
astara989
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-12-19 18:20:47 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Jyla Kenij wrote:

I currently own:
* 1 Orca
* 4 Rhea Jumpfreighters
* 5 Charon Freighters
* 5 Bustard Deep Space Transports
* 4 Crane Blockade Runners (with T2 cargo rigs)
* 1 Badger Mark II (my first Industrial... still have it for sentimental reasons)

If you don't need them, they are worthless, but when you do they are invaluable.

Nearly all my alts can pilot a Charon and the Transports. One alt is currently training Caldari Freighter 5 (35 days left).

I use my Charon fleet to move a lot of minerals for manufacturing. My assembly lines consume several freighters of Tritanium alone.

I have a big pen!s too!
Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2011-12-19 18:40:58 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Jyla Kenij wrote:

The ship bay can carry up to 400k of assembled ships. Tengus are 92k when assembled.

My worry about DST's are that they are so slow that anybody who might want to gank you gets plenty of time to scan your cargo and fittings.
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2011-12-19 19:27:17 UTC
Just do mwd/cloak.

Thing about a freighter is its not easy to transport assembled ships.

Skorpynekomimi
#15 - 2011-12-19 19:28:18 UTC
They're tough, though, and are point-resistant.

Personally, I don't see why I should waste time on my main hauling large amounts of crap around in a freighter. If I ever need one, I'll set up an alt for it.
I'm about a month of training off an Orca should I decide to go for one, though, and I use industrials and drag heavy **** around a whole bunch, because I dabble in industry and mining.
The orca would mainly be because I can just sit there, take notes, tractor cans, and warp occasionally, and claim 5% of everything that goes through the hold on mining ops.
And harass miners in belts, offering to buy the ore straight out of their cargo hold or jetcan at a discount.

Economic PVP

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#16 - 2011-12-20 18:09:11 UTC
Jas Dor wrote:
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Jyla Kenij wrote:

My worry about DST's are that they are so slow that anybody who might want to gank you gets plenty of time to scan your cargo and fittings.

With the right fit a DST can be hard to take down.

keep in mind they have a natural +2 warp stability and a dam good tank. if you fit it for survivability rather than max cargo you can have a tank comparable to a BS with +4 warp stability and still have over 10k cargo. I find it much safer than a blockade runner.

with warp stab +4 a gate camp needs 5 points on you to tackle you. With most low sec gate camps if you have a decent tank on a DST you can almost always warp off before they break your tank or get 5 points on you. It does happen but I run a lot of 5-10k m3 loads thru low sec and very rarely get caught. I get through more than enough to pay for the occasional ship I lose. And if you run an alt scout to check for gate camps you are golden.

I also have a frieghter and a orca pilot. Both very valuable ships. I have never lost a freighter and only ever lost one orca. I mostly use the orca as a mobile base of operations. it is nice to keep extra ships and modules with the fleet for refitting and protection. Mining boost is only one of many uses for a orca. And there is no substitute for a freighter when you have several hundread m3 of stuff to move. they are very slow but one slow trip with a freighter is still much faster than hauling the 800-900m3 in small haulers. especially if it is packaged ships that will not fit in anything smaller.
Dracko Malus
Messerschmitt Vertrieb und Logistik
#17 - 2011-12-20 19:20:29 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
Just do mwd/cloak.

Thing about a freighter is its not easy to transport assembled ships.

Easy enough to contract to yourself/private corp... but yeah, annoying as hell...
Why don't they just remove the limitation.. I mean you can also put an assembled ship in an orca's corp hanger.... how is that different to Freighters...?

Tess La'Coil's loveslave.

Huntress Huntress
Doomheim
#18 - 2011-12-21 01:21:35 UTC
Given the peasant wage most "haulers," demand for their laborious task, I have never ever considered a freighter alt. JF and transport ships are a diffirent story though. I like to keep my JF work to myself, so no comment on why that is, but the transport comes in handy for micro-moves in dangerous space where contracts aren't likely to be fulfilled in a short time frame.

When push comes to shove I like to spend the least ammount of MY time flying slow-as-molasses ships.
Ghoest
#19 - 2011-12-21 02:18:26 UTC
If you are hauling bulky stuff like minerals the answer is no.

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#20 - 2011-12-21 02:55:34 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
With the right fit a DST can be hard to take down.

keep in mind they have a natural +2 warp stability and a dam good tank. if you fit it for survivability rather than max cargo you can have a tank comparable to a BS with +4 warp stability and still have over 10k cargo. I find it much safer than a blockade runner.

Until you run afoul of a HIC.
12Next page