These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any new info about EVA ?

First post
Author
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#141 - 2015-01-08 17:19:27 UTC
I'd like more control over features, for example I'd love to add touches of grey to my hair manually if I wanted, or have different size beards based on how I'd like to look (a spade beard would be awesome) and some 'old man' face fitting round glasses, not the lame bomber glasses. and a cigar..

But past that, there is plenty of room for more avatar play, and I think it can be done in a way that's not silly, and works well with eve. I'd love WiS to be a thing for anyone who wants that, with bars, corp meeting rooms, and dressup. You can put money into it, or chose not to. But give the choice. I'd also love to see things like cloning into a legion solder and exploring old relics for new tech and things.

I don't see a point in like manually mining an asteroid outside of the ship, that type is a bit pointless. Boarding parties for ship on ship combat is also pointless, as by the time you deployed your legions onto the other ship, the other ship is most likely destroyed. (this would take a complete combat rewrite to be able to disable a ship)

There are ways to expand, and give more options that are not forced. If you want to play eve via the space aspect, and want to ignore legion/valk/WiS you should be able to. But if you want to enhance your experience, you should have the option to pick and chose what features and experiences you want to add. That's how I see where New Eden, not eve, could become a grand thing. CCP's old vision of the most comprehensive scfi game, could become a reality. minus aliens, humans are dicks enough we don't need some non human life form.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#142 - 2015-01-08 17:33:57 UTC
One more:

To everyone stating this is a spaceship game and WiS or EVA won't or shouldn't be added cause that's not what eve is.

I ask, as long as WiS or equivalent, doesn't subtract from eve (like incarna/greed is good did) but can enhance your experience (i.e. if your alliance is attacking alliance x and by having valk pilots do something in the system it will make it easier for you to take said system, or easier for you to defend it) then I would think you would welcome new game play no?

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#143 - 2015-01-08 17:40:46 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
If spaceships aren't enough for you, why choose to play a game focused on spaceships alone (as the playable 'avatars') when other space games that have avatar play exists (the aforementioned SW and ST MMOs) with at least 1 more (Star Citizen) coming? You know that plenty of us like our spaceship (that is really a submarine) focused game right?

I really don't understand this argument.

I like EVE enough that I want more of it. EVE on the ground. EVE in stations. EVE in ruined hulks. EVE in space, whether in capsules or not. Not Minecraft (although at least that's a sandbox--maybe EVE could learn something from it in certain contexts). Not STO, which has indifferent avatar gameplay and cool spaceship combat (which, maybe, CCP could poach ideas from?), but which is an undiluted theme park and therefore not EVE.

And CCP is giving you more EVE, in the proper way: seperate games that they are basically developing in the side and in tandem with paying attention to their flag ship product.'

Yup. That will be easier once they move the log in screen to the launcher: then CCP isn't forced to try to make the EVE engine do All The Things(TM). That said, some things, like EVA, will be really awkward with two clients.

Quote:
That 'original vision' led to a bloated, grasping, greedy company that thought one successful game meant that could make other games AND expanded their NICHE space ship game into something with more mass appeal while ignoring their core customers and "seeing what we would do, not what we would say"...

You don't think that distracted them from their original vision? You believe their original vision involved their game engine as a virtual platform for real-world fashion designers?

Fascinating.

The original vision was for a gigantic, life-like sci-fi universe. It didn't involve fashion, at least not beyond establishing and reinforcing lore--the old sketches for the different factions look nothing like the clothes that eventually appeared in the character creator during the real-world-designer phase. It didn't involve World of Darkness, either.

Quote:
And that's more than enough for me and I think peope like me. Trying to cram "WiS' into an old game that has a code base so old and mysertious that they would rather change superficual game mechancis than risk fooling with it (see the coming fight/FB nerf) was dumb to begin with. CCP isn't dumb anymore.

The point of EVE 2.0 is to get rid of the "old game" problem. I agree that there's no point pouring new wine into old skins, so as I've posted earlier, I expect any significant extension of EVE to follow when CCP feels that they've cleaned out the cruft and built a system that's good for the next decade, which is what they're doing now.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#144 - 2015-01-08 20:01:24 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
because awkward, no-talent photoshop hack jobs of female avatars in default underwear is sensible

Are you talking to me?
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#145 - 2015-01-08 20:23:34 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#146 - 2015-01-08 20:37:11 UTC
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Helios Panala
#147 - 2015-01-09 00:30:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Helios Panala
WiS, Legion, EVA, whatever, could be amazing.

Just imagine...

You're travelling through the very distant depths of null when you come across the remains of what was once a player outpost, you decide to prep your legion suit and board to see if any of the riches that were once kept here can be salvaged.

While poking around you eventually manage to find a hangar that has survived pretty much unscathed, it contains a repairable T2 cruiser and a collection of expensive modules as well as other assorted bits and pieces. You'll have to decide whether to return home in your own ship or fix the cruiser, but the modules alone have made this trip worthwhile.

You decide to take the cruiser, it's worth a lot more isk but the trip back will be much more dangerous. Unfortunately while you're preparing the ship to depart with your haul you're ambushed and killed.

Turns out a group of Legionnaires had been using the wreck as an incredibly ramshackle base while they poked around on the lucrative planets located in this sytem. Out here on the corners of known space they can explore large open maps killing rogue drones and looting the mineral and technology caches they stockpile.

You awake in a fresh clone back at your corps home station, you decide to head down to the offices to watch the Valkyrie tournament starting soon with your corp-mates. You just hope this time the team you backed to win comes through, it's about time you had some good luck.

Or alternatively...

You boot up Legion, the splash screen tells you about the latest dropsuits you can buy with real money. It'll give you a real edge in a fight but somehow you just can't seem to find it in yourself to care because for some reason someone thought to take inspiration from Call of Duty instead of Day Z and/or Planetside.

On your other moniter your Capsuleer sits in a locked room staring into space. Never shall these two worlds meet.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#148 - 2015-01-09 14:30:39 UTC
What I find intriguing is the comment from Devs about WiS being "no gameplay." Hmm, whose responsibility is that?
Sol Project
Shitt Outta Luck - GANKING4GOOD
#149 - 2015-01-09 15:23:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol Project
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:
because awkward, no-talent photoshop hack jobs of female avatars in default underwear is sensible

Are you talking to me?

Maybe the grumpy girly is talking to me.

Who cares? Just grumpy. ^_^

Ladies of New Eden YC 117 by Indahmawar Fazmarai

Warning: NSFW! Barely legal girls in underwear!

Diana Kim > AND THIS IS WHY THE FEDERATION MUST BE DESTROYED!!

Varathius
Enlightened Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#150 - 2015-01-09 16:39:21 UTC
EVA combat will most likely in eve be something similar to this.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#151 - 2015-01-14 14:16:32 UTC
Apparently WiS is taking a little round through the EVE blogosphere...

http://eveoganda.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/walking-in-stations-revisited.html

http://sandciderandspaceships.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/patience-soon-well-be-crip-walkin-in.html

Coincidence? Something cooking? Or just that the post-Incarna children are ending their 3 years tenures and someone wonders how to replace them with other players now that it's obvious that EVE is what it is, which is all what EVE will be forever. A game which 9+ million people chose NOT to play after trying it for free.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#152 - 2015-01-14 14:19:57 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Apparently WiS is taking a little round through the EVE blogosphere...

http://eveoganda.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/walking-in-stations-revisited.html

http://sandciderandspaceships.blogspot.com.es/2015/01/patience-soon-well-be-crip-walkin-in.html

Coincidence? Something cooking? Or just that the post-Incarna children are ending their 3 years tenures and someone wonders how to replace them with other players now that it's obvious that EVE is what it is, which is all what EVE will be forever.

This part is 'hurf, blurf'

Quote:

A game which 9+ million people chose NOT to play after trying it for free.

This is the only good part of this post, hell, it's the best thing about EVE.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#153 - 2015-01-14 16:53:50 UTC
If CCP pursues the One Character / Multiple Games concept that they have been talking about lately, that may start bridging the gap... at least in people minds.

If I can take Ranger 1 and play (as the same character) in EVE, Valkyrie, and Legion... this begins to make it seem more natural to have that kick ass character you've developed over the last few years doing more than sitting in a pod or in a barely furnished room.

If we need to log into different games to do different things, so be it.

If I opened that damn door and it automatically fired up the Legion client, I"m good with that.

If they add another stair down from my hanger balcony that leads to the fighter dock, and if I go down it my Valkyrie client is fired up by the time I hit the bottom... outstanding!

The key being that it's the same character, the same account, and what happens in one affects the other... as far as ISK, purchases, ownership (of goods or eventually perhaps territory)... it's treated as all happening to or being done by Ranger 1 (for good or ill).

Of course, the more seamless the transition the better, but in effect each time you enter a different door (or go down a different stair) you are switching into an entirely different game. One that hopefully looks as identical as possible while "crossing over".

If 1st person Avatars don't lend themselves well to EVE's internal architecture and/or graphic's engine... that's fine. Then move Ranger 1 smoothly into a game that is designed for Avatar game play. Then move R1 seamlessly into a game designed for rapid fighter combat... and then into whatever else your little heart dreams up.

Just make sure it's the same character (account) and that there is complete continuity between the games (environments).

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.