These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Heavy Missiles, lets make them interesting

First post
Author
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2015-01-07 09:22:42 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Well, it's rapid light, only cruisers can really use them well. Gruistas aside. Unbonsued rlml wouldnt see the light of day.

Even if you did though, I wouldnt expect to see HML profilerate into that gap because they dont fill it. They are just sub-standard, I'd usually say this is just my opinion but I cant even remember the last time I was hit by one, or saw one on (either side of) a killmail without trawling zkillboard, so my local area basically. Anyway, point being I don't think it's just me being a special snowflake. Heck if they were worth a damn, they'd be good at killing ishtars because you can [on paper] outrange the main sentry damage - except no-one does it because it's not viable.

I'd like to test them with the application nerf rolled back (but not the damage one).
Shivanthar
#42 - 2015-01-07 09:53:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Shivanthar
Suitonia wrote:

Heavy Missiles gain %bonus damage+Application based on the time they have spent in the air, the longer the flight time, the more powerful Heavy Missiles become.

This was proposed for some other threads of other missiles also, including cruise.
Actually, this proposal should be the mechanic of all missiles, where each missile starts with the velocity of the host ship, accelerating through target. The more speed it has, the more explosion velocity it should have, thus increasing its application. This would also encourage people who use missiles to bring some piloting skills to the ship they use, encouraging them to fire from somewhere around max flight time distance their missiles has.

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#43 - 2015-01-07 10:04:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Caleb Seremshur
afkalt wrote:
Well, it's rapid light, only cruisers can really use them well. Gruistas aside. Unbonsued rlml wouldnt see the light of day.

Even if you did though, I wouldnt expect to see HML profilerate into that gap because they dont fill it. They are just sub-standard, I'd usually say this is just my opinion but I cant even remember the last time I was hit by one, or saw one on (either side of) a killmail without trawling zkillboard, so my local area basically. Anyway, point being I don't think it's just me being a special snowflake. Heck if they were worth a damn, they'd be good at killing ishtars because you can [on paper] outrange the main sentry damage - except no-one does it because it's not viable.

I'd like to test them with the application nerf rolled back (but not the damage one).

Can anyone remember what the old stats used to be? I'm gonna do some forum searching for the dev post that did all this.

This is fozzies original thread on the topic
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=155029

where he specifically mentions changes to other medium guns.

Posting this here for posterity.

Now diddling around fitting up a navy caracal, not expecting much. 60mil hull just to make a weapon do what it's meant to.
Signal11th
#44 - 2015-01-07 10:08:20 UTC
They used to be interesting until CCP made them less so.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2015-01-07 10:53:36 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
afkalt wrote:

Can anyone remember what the old stats used to be? I'm gonna do some forum searching for the dev post that did all this.

Heavy Missiles
-Base flight time reduced by 35%
-Base velocity increased by 14.66%
-In total, base range reduced by ~25%
-Damage decreased by 10% (rounded to closest digit)
-Explosion radius increased by 12%
-Affects all variant Heavy missiles, including FOF.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=155029

Amusing, that was watered down, the initial proposal was a 20% damage nerf as well (!)

Edit:

6 Months later, this happened

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=260025&find=unread

Medium Rails (all sizes and metas):
+15% Rate of Fire
+15% Damage Multiplier
-15% Tracking Speed

Medium Beams:
+25% Damage Multiplier
-10% Tracking Speed

Medium Artillery:
+10% Rate of Fire
-5% Tracking

Apparently buffing turrets was "power creep" so missiles were nerfed. I guess it's not power creep if it happens in a different patch ;)

This is why everyone sane uses guns Big smile

Edit 2:
A precision cruise raven projects the nearly same damage (+/- 0.x) per launcher onto a moving caracal than a caracal with HML and the situation is the same shooting a frigate (LOL). Wow, I honestly didnt see that coming. Not that I'd use a raven either, but damned if it doesnt show the HML application issues - I'm aware it is precision ammo vs faction (but putting precision into the HML makes it worse) but its a launcher size up! The DPS and effective range would make it reasonable to do so (shoot precision at cruisers, if we are saying HML are any use).
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#46 - 2015-01-07 11:25:54 UTC
I note that we still don't see any kind of statistical evidence like we see in the HML nerf thread.

Quote:
The four most heavily used medium weapons in the game are all Heavy Missile launcher variants, as well as seven of the top eleven. Whenever we need to change something this powerful it will always be painful because so many players will have done the smart thing and flocked to the best game mechanic. If it feels like CCP nerfs you a lot that's just a sign that you're doing it right and getting good at staying on top of the best trends so pat yourself on the back.

No insight in to the performance since that day. Do any websites track usage? I think eve-kill used to?
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2015-01-07 11:36:07 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
iirc they pretty much tanked off the top N shortly afterwards but I've not seen any decent stats since.

To be fair - they WERE too good and the end nerf WAS about right - just the buff to medium turrets skewed it again (and the expanding of hulls getting 50% sig reduction on MWDs hurt a lot too). Cruise buffs happened soon after as well resulting in the edit to my last post too. They (HML) were balanced for about 6 months.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2015-01-07 13:54:32 UTC
I still think long range missiles should be good at hitting "Fast" moving targets and struggle to apply damage to "Small" targets. This would give synergy to long range missiles being paired with Target Painters (makes sense).

Then short range missiles should be good at hitting "Small" targets and struggle to apply damage to "Fast" targets. Then we get synergy with webs and short range.

Then Flare rigs would be useful for long range missiles and Rigor rigs would be useful with short ranged missiles.

I also feel that missile launchers really now need to be "fleshed out" a lot more. We currently have only one choice per weapon system.

You're either:
rockets or lights

HAM's or HML's (with RLML's)

Cruise or Torps (with RHML's)

Turrets get good choices (eg Dual 150mm, 220mm or 425mm) which allow for choices between tracking, fitting and projection within each class (long range or short)

Why can't launchers get similar options. I don't believe the choice between RLML, HML and HAM is a choice as they all serve different roles and are technically different classes of weapons.

What I'd like to see is something like this:

Heavy Missile Launcher II (Low fittings. Standard operation)
Dual Heavy Missile Launcher II (V. High Fittings, 1/2 RoF, Fires two missiles per shot)
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2015-01-07 14:19:11 UTC
@Spugg Galdon

I suggested this - different launchers with different properties affecting range/application etc and different fittings to match the different gun "sizes" thus allowing CCP to fine tune missiles by modifying ammo properties, but still not screwing with the ammo itself.

Not much came of it, unfortunately - maybe too much work.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#50 - 2015-01-07 14:24:40 UTC
This is before my time. But I believe that missiles actually used to use this mechanic as a way for frigates to "get under the guns". Then CCP switched to the current formula as a way of distinguishing missiles from turrets. If you check missile stats, they still have an agility stat.

TBH, heavies have sucked since the medium weapon rebalance of 2013. They were far far over-nerfed instead of fixing the ships that were abusing them. Now compared to medium long range turrets, they are absolutely worthless.

Don't get me wrong. Rails are actually viable now. But there really was no reason to nerf heavies so much. I think they just need some damage restored to put them back into a viable place.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#51 - 2015-01-07 15:17:54 UTC
Soldarius wrote:
This is before my time. But I believe that missiles actually used to use this mechanic as a way for frigates to "get under the guns". Then CCP switched to the current formula as a way of distinguishing missiles from turrets. If you check missile stats, they still have an agility stat.

TBH, heavies have sucked since the medium weapon rebalance of 2013. They were far far over-nerfed instead of fixing the ships that were abusing them. Now compared to medium long range turrets, they are absolutely worthless.

Don't get me wrong. Rails are actually viable now. But there really was no reason to nerf heavies so much. I think they just need some damage restored to put them back into a viable place.

Heavies are fine for the range they have, they're balanced just fine in that regard. Would you want more dps (which makes sense because they're kinda low dps) then you have to agree to a rebalance where they get less range.

On top of that; any missile ship that still doesn't use rigor and flare rigs is a moron and one has only himself to blame in that regard.
scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#52 - 2015-01-07 18:29:44 UTC
1. It actually makes a lot of sense for missiles to do more damage based on how long they have been flying, but only if they continue to accelerate. Not that I am for such a change, but it makes perfect sense technically....this is Eve however, where space is filled with space fluid and clearly not a vacuum so it's a moot point.
2. Anyone who says that missiles, specifically heavies, apply just fine probably hasn't used them outside of blob or semi-blob where the volley makes up for the poor application.
3. The same goes for the "lol rigors/flares/paints/webs noob" argument. For a missiles ship to meaningfully increase it's application, the pilot must sacrifice their rig slots and this is not balanced. For the sake of argument let us set aside paints and webs since they apply to all ships. This leaves missile pilots with rigors and flares. That's it. Turret and drone pilots still have TEs, scripted TCs, and scripted remote TCs that allow for numerous combinations of stat increases. Need to trade optimal for tracking? Just change a script or 2 and voila. Paints, webs, and rigs are all common factors that, when subtracted, clearly shows the inequalities between missiles and turrets in regards to application.
4. Just an example, I worked through the math of the application formula on TS using Heavies shot from my drake against my drake. The math showed that, by simply turning on it's engines and flying at approximately 187m/s, a drake can negate roughly 25-30% of incoming heavy missile damage by speed alone. That is before resists, before an AB, and with no application mods. So he anemic dps of heavies is further reduced by the movement of a terribly slow BC under engines alone, at any range. To clarify, I am not making the argument that heavies should apply perfectly, that would be ridiculous, but they should apply better against something as big and slow as a drake. Also, note that IIRC velocity was the limiting factor in my example and webs are not commonly used by a ship at long range. (Obviously a different matter with tackle)

In conclusion, there are most definitely problems with missiles and with heavies specifically that should not continue to be swept under the rug with the "lol rigors" arguments. Application, for heavies and torps, as well as flight time vs engagement range are both issues that I would like to see seriously addressed by someone other than Rise. There are multiple approaches to a solution, whether it be a stat change, a role shift, or something different entirely, and I find it a little discouraging that nothing has been done or said officially.

**Typed on my phone, so errors or unclear points can be cleared up later if you're not an ass about it. Smile
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#53 - 2015-01-07 18:33:18 UTC
Unfortunately, the base range of the longest range heavy missiles (Caldari Navy) is half of long range rail ammo (Spike) loaded into 250mm Rails. So a range reduction would be absolutely unacceptable.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2015-01-08 15:00:39 UTC
scorchlikeshiswhiskey wrote:
Stuff comparing turrets and missiles namely the use of tracking computers/enhancers Smile

Yes, Turrets do get modules that assist in the projection and application of damage.

Yes, Missiles only get two different rigs (where only rigors are important) and target painters to improve application and turrets also benefit from the use of painters.

However.

Missiles =/= Turrets.

They work incredibly differently. For starters, missile users can completely ignore their own transversal velocity to the target as they know it doesn't effect their own application. Speed and size is all that matters to them.

There are only three ways to reduce or mitigate damage. (excluding links and drugs)
Speed
Smart bombs
Defender Missiles

Speed is the only really viable one.

Now lets look at the different weapons fitted to a properly fitted Caracal. That means maximizing tank, DPS and damage application. The Caracal is a kiter. So I haven't gone for any kind of brawler fits as you simply can't get the tank for it.

A HAM Kiter (1x Rigor Rig) using a TP applies very good damage to cruiser and above and (IMO) acceptable damage to a frigate

A HML Caracal (2x Rigor Rig) using a TP and no point fitted as it should be operating at above 75km range to target gets good application vs cruisers and acceptable application vs frigates which can be further boosted by using precision missiles

The RLML Caracal is a special snow flake though. But I think people need to consider the fact that it's burst DPS is much higher than it's sustained DPS. You also should fit a range rig in order to get very good projection.

If you compare actual range and damage of comparable turret ships it all looks pretty good. Including how well you can tank these ships.

All in all, I think missiles are in a generally good place (Including heavies). They currently aren't used very much because of the insanely overpowered Ishtar.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2015-01-08 15:21:39 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Caracal cant lock passed 72km, maximising tank is going to be tough with 3 mids down for prop/TP/SeBo and 2 rigs down for what....a couple of hundred dps (edit: that's actually pretty generous) if you're lucky since the painter is in falloff too :) ?

It's not the ishtar - there is a reason slippery petes do not use missiles.
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2015-01-08 15:32:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
afkalt wrote:
Caracal cant lock passed 72km, maximising tank is going to be tough with 3 mids down for prop/TP/SeBo and 2 rigs down for what....a couple of hundred dps if you're lucky since the painter is in falloff too :) ?

It's not the ishtar - there is a reason slippery petes do not use missiles.

My HML Caracal fit has a targeting range of >93km and approx. 20k eHP. That is plenty sufficient for a ship hanging about at >75km.

I can't find another T1 cruiser that can do that and get similar applied damage to target at ranges between 70-90km. A 250mm Railgun Moa perhaps but that needs to use Spike ammo which is pretty damn awful. Not to mention how terrible railgun tracking is at close range which missiles just ignore.

Stealth Edit: A Sentry Vexor can compare in range and damage and can fit a huge armour buffer still. But, you know. Because of Sentry.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2015-01-08 15:42:16 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Thing is, no other cruisers (stabber aside) have a range bonus, so they can't compete. I discounted vexors for the same reason. Makes it hard to compare. Belli is no use because of EWAR bonus.

Try comparing a cerb and an eagle, I've not actually tried that, but both have double range boosts. Maybe omen navy to a navy osprey.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#58 - 2015-01-08 16:04:42 UTC
Personally I wish CCP would take more advantage of what a missile launcher *is*. Its a tube that shoots rocket propelled explosives. Take a look at the HML for example it has 24 missiles or so visibly loaded in to it. Being able to fire the whole lot ala LRM would be a great great thing.

I have been musing on the topic for a couple of days now. If you fly another ship with long ranged weaponry you effectively have a cone in front of the nose of your guns wherr you csnnot miss. On the outside of this cone is another cone where you begin to mis and this second cone gets more blurry the further to its edges you go. This vague idea is the only appropriate parallel I could come up with for comparing long ranged performance for turrets vs missiles. In brief, inside a certain set of parameters you are almost certain to hit your target with guns at a given range for a damage as determined by how deep in to falloff (×2) they were. Also unless I am mistaken a target can be beating your tracking by percentages thus resulting in grazing or glancing hits which are still hits but at reduced damage output. Essentially with a long range turret and at a range inside your falloff you will have a hard time missing.

Where am I going with this? Look at the volley damage for 720 arties. It hits what... I think 3700 or so on a gank fit? I'm not personally sure but let's say it does. You can land a practically guaranteed blow of between 3700 & 1850 on a target within the limit of your falloff as long as you hold the appropriate range advantage. Heavy missiles will lose damage if the target is stationary but has a smaller sig radius than the explosion radius of your missiles. As correctly pointed out above the best way to mitigate damage from missiles is by being very fast. The faster you go the less damage you take. Period.

To me if we were to say hypothetically remove missiles from the dps grinder gameplay of turrets and instead make them high damage (which is easily mitigated) low dps one-shot-per-reload weapons it could provide some very interesting operational situations for missiles to exist in. Consider again the LRM. It is a finesse weapon. Bad lrm users receive little thanks and underperform woefully while very skilled LRM users amongst other things will complement a variety of group outfits and provide long range harassment that can dislodge enemies or force them to bunker down and become entrapped. Long range missiles would become like lrm (which possess relatively poor target tracking and a prone to losing applied damage due to landing off tsrget) while short range missiles become like SRM or MRM a higher rof burst weapon with relatively lower damage per volley but are faster and track much better.

Look up a mechwarrior video sometime and tell me how conclusively thst missile ganeplay isn't incredibly boring in EVE right now and that it wouldn't be improved both from a technical and player skill investment perspective but also from a gameplay perspective where players with a poor sense of timing or incompatible fleet design will see degraded performance as compared to a player with very high skill and proper fleet comp will see better than average performance. And the best part is you don't even have to change the heavy missile or HAM or anything at all to achieve this, you're changing the launcher instead. To do this you would lower the maximum capacity of the HML to what is physically visible and then set the number of charges launched per cycle to say a percentage of the whole rack at a time. Things like the rapid launchers would dump their entire load at once irrespective of the target making them perfect for instantly killing that one frigate tackling you but useless for wiping the rest of the group because you'll spend quite a while waiting to reload.

If there's one thing I've really hated about the new design of the rlml is the reload timer penalising you arbitrarily for having the wrong ammo loaded, taking 35s of damage you can't respond to and then having to wait 90 seconds to expend the clip you just loaded. Waiting is not good gameplay. If I have to wait a long time to reload then I feel like that should be compensated for by a very high rof or a much larger usable ammo count. Like LMGs with belt fed ammunition they have their srawbacks in reload time compensated for by very high rofs and longer uptimes. Rlmls and rhml would follow this pattern if they shot once per tick instead of whatever. Their ammo count isn't high and when they do get to fire again they dont dish out the pain fast enough to get them out of those situations where it literally would have been better to fit lml and not rlml. Talk about sustained damage all you want at the end of the day it's still time spent not defending yourself. Knowing that once you've finished reloading you just pull the trigger and you'll dump 50 missiles on someone is enough to keep the heart racing.

There's very little tactics to missiles particularly long range missiles right now. Just benin range and press shoot and then stand there mystified at why you can't dump your whole cassette instead of playing grab-ass against someone's logi module timer.

Sample ammo cassettes could be like lml 10, rocket 6, rlml 9, hml 12, ham 5, rhml 10 and then balance torps and cruises as loading from an ammo bay only and compensating for their one-shot then reload gamplay by multiplying the damage volley by the rof/reload time lost from original. Making cruises volley kings but still unable to blap a frig in one volley unless that frig has a vegetable for a pilot.
scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#59 - 2015-01-08 17:26:16 UTC
Not going to make a long quote that has to be scrolled past....
Caleb, you obviously put a lot of thought into that idea but I'm not sure how your version of missiles would be much different than the current artillery. My understanding is that you were referring to the MLRS (Multiple Launch Rocket System) and how it fires all at once which, IIRC, is not entirely correct. I believe the MLR systems are selectable, one can be launched or all can be launched, or somewhere in between. I do like the idea of having launchers that fire double, like dual AC's, but having launchers just fire everything and go into reload seems like a poor change to make unless you want to see gank Corax's replace gank Catalysts.

Actually... I'm not sure they would replace artillery gank fits entirely, a well-timed smartbomb would clear a lot of damage off the field since the missiles would still have their ridiculous flight times.

Spugg, I think you're wrong on some things but you do raise some good, and valid, points. This proposal addresses the lack of missile transversal in a way and also gives a new way to mitigate missile damage, range control.

I do think Caleb is on the right track though, missiles need a change in fundamental mechanics rather than a change within the flawed mechanics. Personally, I favor the approach of reworking the missile formula for damage and giving missiles an acceleration instead of max velocity. My idea would be to have short range missiles be big and slow, packed to the gills (so to speak) with explosives and little room for fuel. They would have a high base damage modified very slightly by their velocity at impact, which would be low because of the short flight time. Long range missiles would have a low base damage that is modified heavily by velocity at impact, such that the longer a missile is flying the more damage it will do when it hits. (Not counting maneuvering to catch an orbiting frig, since the missile would be correcting course constantly) This would give long range missiles an "optimal" of sorts where their damage peaks, so for lights it might peak at 40km (random) and would not increase significantly beyond that. It would also be beneficial if missiles started with a vector and velocity from the firing ship such that flying at your target allows your damage to peak slightly sooner if you are willing to fly right into their guns, short range missiles to travel slightly further, or even for "chase" armament to make a debut of sorts. Short range would be limited more by range than by damage peaks, making the 2 have different useage characteristics. I would even go so far as to suggest that maybe short range missiles should have a slower ROF, but higher volley, with the lore reasoning of needing to recharge/clear the booster that pushes them to max velocity at/near launch. Long range missiles would then fire faster, by virtue of not needing a booster, but would require time and distance to reach useful damage. Then adjust the base damages to balance the dps, of course. (More objects to track, but for shorter time server-wise)
Obviously it's not a fully formed idea, there are plenty of holes to fill, but I think that if CCP were to run with something like that, it would make missiles better and more interesting to fly.
On making acceleration work in a fluid system.... Missiles already have a behind the scenes acceleration, like the warp acceleration mechanics currently. You could leave short range missiles largely as they are, and increase the maximum velocity of long range missiles while decreasing the hidden acceleration. (Short range=frig warping, long range=BS warping in this analogy) This would have the effect of decreasing overall flight time at long range, without making them into quasi-turrets with insta-damage.
This would make heavies a more viable long range weapon, with a damage curve similar in ranges to long range turrets which can be mitigated with a similar ammo swap, while still keeping them different and alternately better/worse in a given scenario.

Thoughts? I have read this a couple times and I think it looks good, but I would appreciate constructive feedback and, of course, discussion. Smile

As for heavies by themselves, reading the dissenting opinions does highlight that their is more to missile balance than just increasing application. I think that application could be addressed alone if CCP hadn't said that they would like to get rid of Defenders, leaving the only good missile counter as speed. (CSM summer summit minutes '13) I would much rather CCP try and fix the real, underlying problems rather than slapping on a fresh coat of paint and pretending that the foundation isn't flawed because the paint is easier.
Mario Putzo
#60 - 2015-01-08 17:38:37 UTC
CCP just needs to make missiles apply damage more in line with other weapons. Since they have no way (outside of rigs) to increase explosion velocity or radius guns of equal sizes will always have a higher application rate.

IMO this is what would fix missiles on all levels.

Dropping the Alpha on missiles
- This is a no brainer if you are going to increase applied damage.
Increasing the explosion velocity on missiles
- This is the problem all missiles have
Increasing the velocity on missiles
- So missiles spend less time in space
Decreasing the Flight time of missiles
- So missiles still only go as far as they do now (with velocity changes included)

For the launchers
Increase ROF on the launchers
- To get back DPS lost from reducing Alpha

As it stand missiles on every level bleed too much damage against like sized targets that are moving. This applies to rockets against frigs, all the way up to Capital Launchers against Capitals.

HM shows the largest "bleeding" of damage against like sized targets that are moving.