These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skillbooks - the most dangerous drug ?

Author
Muck Raker
Gutter Press
#1 - 2015-01-02 16:25:12 UTC
Capsuleer skill training packages, termed by the SOCT and others as "skillbooks", which are the learning packages that give capsuleers their ship piloting abilities, have become one of the major educational export products, for such institutions as the University of Caille, the Centre for Advanced Studies, and many other agencies across New Eden.

But, are they a dangerously addictive commodity ? We sent an agent to find out.

"I used to lead an alliance, we swept the stars clean of all others", said one man, a Caldari capsuleer. "Now I lurk in my captains quarters, looking up skillbooks and staring at camera drone footage of my ship."

"I can pilot an Erebus to 100% efficiency", said one Gallente female capsuleer. "But I don't own one, I've never even seen one, oh goddess what am I doing with my life ?"

"I do whatever makes the most ISK, and spend it all on skillbooks", said another capsuleer, a wild haired Minmatar. "If I owned any of them, I could fly any Gallente or Caldari ship as well as anyone. But I've only ever flown Minmatar ships."

"Buy skills, train skills, need more ISK, must, train, ggggaaaahh!" said another capsuleer, a deranged looking Intaki.

The addictive nature of skillbooks to capsuleers appears to rival the addictive qualities of Serpentis goofballs to the general population !

"There are no plans to make skillbooks contraband", said a Federal Customs agent.

Time will tell if the skillbook addiction crisis will cause wider social and economic problems.

Gutter Press. There's no skillbook for journalism. Fortunately.

Rumours, Wars, Rumours of Wars, Wars of Rumours!

Rhiannon Dellacorte
Liberty Vanguard
#2 - 2015-01-02 20:29:22 UTC
This is the best Muckraker article I've ever read.

Rules of Acquisition #261

A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience.

Karynn Denton
Lekhantsi Salvage Depot
#3 - 2015-01-02 20:42:37 UTC
Contraband skillbooks... now there's a pretty thought.

Karynn Denton

Caravan Master

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#4 - 2015-01-02 20:45:40 UTC
I dont have a skillbook addiction....
*a stack of skill books falls over into view of the camera *

MY BOOKS!!!!........ It's not what it looks like!

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Wendrika Hydreiga
#5 - 2015-01-02 21:18:16 UTC
Unlike most, I actually read my skill books!

Still on on chapter six of "Exhumer Docking Procedures For Dummies"... Gotta learn to dock before you fly I guess?
Quattras Peione
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-01-02 21:19:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Quattras Peione
Train train train inject. Train train train inject.

Yes, that's right, inject. I'm mainlining information.

Still working on that Napaani translation of the Dramiel Operator's Manual.

Dr. Quattras Alvar Peione

No, I'm not that kind of doctor.

Luna Hanaya
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2015-01-03 04:11:11 UTC
Pursuit of knowledge isn't a sin.

((

If you are a roleplayer, please join official CCP channels ingame for roleplayers and support roleplaying community:

Intergalactic Summit - IC router

Out of Character - channel for discussion of roleplay, live events and lore

))

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#8 - 2015-01-03 06:46:28 UTC
Only in a Federation desire to learn can be attributed as "addiction crisis".
Gallenteans with their lies and hypocrisies are running out of ideas how to stop peoples from learning.
But eventually logic and education will beat senseless gallentean propaganda and brainwashing.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Ponder Rouge Affinor
RURAL RAIDERS
#9 - 2015-01-03 06:54:56 UTC
Diana Kim, forever on point.
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#10 - 2015-01-03 13:28:39 UTC
Knowledge is power.

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2015-01-05 01:32:35 UTC
Halp! I am addicted to studying Biology through a Skill Book so I can get addicted on Combat Boosters!

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Shaera Taam
Khanid Prime Free Irregulars
#12 - 2015-01-06 17:33:41 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
Halp! I am addicted to studying Biology through a Skill Book so I can get addicted on Combat Boosters!

You and me, Elmund. Both on the same page of the same skillbook with the same goal. How's that for weird, huh?

Thus Spake the Frigate Goddess!

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2015-01-07 01:13:37 UTC
Shaera Taam wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:

You and me, Elmund. Both on the same page of the same skillbook with the same goal. How's that for weird, huh?

It's a big cluster.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Araxmas
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-01-15 10:32:53 UTC
I recommend people with addiction switch to Caldari skillbooks.
The books for our ships are only 6 pages long plus come complete with pop-up sections and a free Jumbo mug.
fudface
ACME-INC
#15 - 2015-01-15 11:37:53 UTC
hello my name is fudface and i am addicted to training skillbooks.

i came to eve as a mineral trader and nothing more, i didn't train anything for the first 3 months i was here. mineral trading doesn't require any skills at all to make a profit, being able to predict trends in the mineral market from the available information alone is enough.

As my career advanced i joined the pixies, who insisted i inject these skillbooks and start training. i had no idea what i was getting into. These skills i was training were for ship guns drones armour shields, my mind was awash. I didn't need a ship with guns and modules, i was happy podding about the universe moving through the green systems and into the deep red systems. i went where the minerals were. i didn't haul i just used the right click and sell. when the local market wasn't high enough to sell i would manipulate the local market until it was at my sell price. However, all that was changing, the thirst for knowledge assailed me, called to me in my sleep. i would awake into the eve world with a desire to train something, anything, as long as my skill q wasn't inactive. The panic i would feel knowing that my skill q was inactive drove me to look for longer and longer training times.

today as i sit before you i am training the amarr dreadnought to level 5, i am max skill for panther, redeemer, paladin, vindicator, and the list goes on and on. gunnery skills drone skills and even illegal drugs. my obsession with training everything to level 5 has led me here to you. ironically my main focus in eve is still the mineral market and the skills i have trained to date has very little to do with mineral trading and there are no skills to train for market pvp.

thankfully i have beaten my addiction to only putting up 24 hours worth of training. now i have over 250 days of training to do before i have to think about it again.

i hope others can learn from my story and avoid the addiction to skillbooks

my 2 isk worth

my 2 isk worth

Badel Jramodarr
#16 - 2015-01-18 03:48:44 UTC
W-Whyy c-can't I inject it again!? I-I need that s-sweet sound of com-completion. No-no, nooOO! Just inject. J-Just one more!!!