These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning Industrialist - Highsec POS - please help

Author
Working Man
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-01-03 14:10:22 UTC
Hello everyone,

I have returned after more than one year break, and I see a lot have changed regarding industry.
I've read the patch notes and what not, but I still have one question remaining:

- If I reanchor my POS back, will I be able to stockpile the materials into a public station and start the manufacturing from there?0
- Do I need to have the BPOs in the POS?
- Do I need to have also the mats into POS?
- What precautions do I need to take in HS? Will a small pos work for small scale manufacturing?

I am only interrested in manufacturing, since I dont have yet the skills to do research / invention,
But can I do invention in a normal station using the POS facilities?

Thank you,
Ydnari
Estrale Frontiers
#2 - 2015-01-03 15:34:49 UTC
No.
Yes.
Yes.
Run short jobs so you can take it down if there's a war. Yes.
No, you have to either do it in the station if it has facilities, or all up at the POS.

--

Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2015-01-03 21:12:22 UTC
Ydnari wrote:
No.
Yes.
Yes.
Run short jobs so you can take it down if there's a war. Yes.
No, you have to either do it in the station if it has facilities, or all up at the POS.

Since he's manufacturing, he ~could~ just use BPCs in the POS (but obviously would need to source them from somewhere).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Working Man
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-01-04 10:33:38 UTC

What happens when you cancel a manufacturing job? What do you lose?
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-01-04 11:53:24 UTC
Everything (except the BPO).

You lose all materials, if you're using a BPC, the number of runs that would have been needed are removed from the BPC and you get no output.
Lil' Brudder Too
Pistols for Pandas
#6 - 2015-01-04 14:27:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Lil' Brudder Too
They have fixed the 'cancel' mechanic to actually give you back the blueprint now...previously it was still locked in the canceled job until that job was 'finished'. But now you can cancel all jobs and get bpo's back. Haven't tried this with bpc's yet though.

That being said, if you are just doing small scale stuff, there really is no benefit to doing a POS.

Pros:

You save the 10% tax on the job cost.

You get a 2% material reduction with most arrays.

25% reduced build times for most arrays.

Cons:

Still have to pay the Job Installation Cost, which amounts to about 5% of the value of input materials.

Have to play material tetris at your tower with all the blueprints AND materials.

Have to have the BPO's at the tower in order to use them. Very vulnerable. (and no, even a large deathstar or dickstar is not safe in HS anymore)

TLDR:

Unless you need something very quick and as cheap as physically possible. Or are in a large alliance/corp who can easily muster a defense fleet. The 'benefits' to using a POS are easily outweighed by the 'negatives'...
Selaria Unbertable
Bellator in Capsulam
#7 - 2015-01-05 11:44:57 UTC
Lil' Brudder Too wrote:

Cons:

Still have to pay the Job Installation Cost, which amounts to about 5% of the value of input materials.

Have to play material tetris at your tower with all the blueprints AND materials.

Have to have the BPO's at the tower in order to use them. Very vulnerable. (and no, even a large deathstar or dickstar is not safe in HS anymore)

Additional Pro:
You can set up a POS in systems without stations, which usually have a lower cost index due to the lack of said stations.

1) That installation cost can be reduced by picking the right system, preferably one without stations and a research station in a system close by.

2) No argument against material tetris, that is annoying as hell... But I like the term, I think I will steal that Pirate

3) With a research station close by one can simply store all BPOs there and make copies. Works well for me, though it's not as comfortable as working with BPOs. I do a mix of both, storing cheap BPOs for components in my POS and all the others in a station just a few jumps away.
Lil' Brudder Too
Pistols for Pandas
#8 - 2015-01-05 21:48:37 UTC
Selaria Unbertable wrote:

Additional Pro:
You can set up a POS in systems without stations, which usually have a lower cost index due to the lack of said stations.

1) That installation cost can be reduced by picking the right system, preferably one without stations and a research station in a system close by.

That list looks very similar to what i use to determine where to look for POS targets. (too bad i can't use Teams to track down BPO researchers anymore) I mean to say...carry on...these are not the droids we're looking for...
Selaria Unbertable wrote:

3) With a research station close by one can simply store all BPOs there and make copies. Works well for me, though it's not as comfortable as working with BPOs. I do a mix of both, storing cheap BPOs for components in my POS and all the others in a station just a few jumps away.

Except the fact that it will nearly double your reaction time to changing any particular lines. Station research/copy speed is almost twice as long as in a tower, plus building in a tower lowers the build time by 25%, thus causing a shortage on the bpc side of the chain. (CCP didn't really think this whole mess through very well) Plus adding A LOT of extra 'job cost' by even doing just copies in a research station. Costs when some don't factor in when determining if something is profitable.