These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any new info about EVA ?

First post
Author
Minxee
Perkone
Caldari State
#21 - 2015-01-04 17:43:29 UTC
Oxylan wrote:
Because topic "Team Avatar and the future of our prototype" is locked i need to ask.

According to this, i need to ask.

"There has been an idea kicking around CCP for a long time now about an ideal starting point for avatar gameplay. That is exploring hazardous environments in order to get awesome stuff."

Anyone got informations about this feature? soon tm, in hibernation mode, work in progrss, or maybe delayed, or just rip ?

Rumor has it its coming to PC soon(tm) but for now you'll have to buy a ps3 and play DUST.
Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2015-01-04 19:54:50 UTC
Solecist Project is looking spectacularly good today. What a fab portrait. Smile

Aaaaaaand relax.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#23 - 2015-01-04 21:13:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Avatar gameplay in EVE is dead in every possible sense.

There are no plans. And if there were any plans, they would come after a potential Legion success and the end of its development cycle (minimum of 5 years from now), and as a fourth game based on EVE Online franchise (after DUST, Valkyrie and Legion).

The existing ingame content is not being developed nor updated, and sooner or later will become redundant and its upkeep will be deemed too much. This means that CQs will be removed sometime in the future.

This does not affect the character creator. There's two developers making stuff for use at the CC (additional clothes).

So this is it. EVE Online is a spaceships game and will always be spaceships only.

By the way, this thread will be closed as redundant.

And you are not supposed to talk about what CCP does not want to listen.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#24 - 2015-01-05 00:14:26 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
The lowlife scum WiS would attract isn't worth it at all.

Perhaps not. But eve CCP can fill there pockets for sure. And at the end i hoop we get or big expanse bug fixs and everything we wants? So its a win win. Don`t see the problem and yes i like to have a drink with my fellow eve players.
Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#25 - 2015-01-05 00:24:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayem See
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

*snip purely for tidy*

There are no plans. And if there were any plans, they would come after a potential Legion success and the end of its development cycle (minimum of 5 years from now), and as a fourth game based on EVE Online franchise (after DUST, Valkyrie

It would appear there is quite a large demand for character driven content. Sadly there seems to be a player driven paradigm in which one can only exist without the other. Clearly a nonsense.

Aaaaaaand relax.

Solecist Project
#26 - 2015-01-05 00:37:41 UTC
Nami Kumamato wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:
The lowlife scum WiS would attract isn't worth it at all.

You'd be in it 24/7.
Just saying...

Would you see me running around,
manipulating people so I can kill them or whatever?

Yes, of course!

Would you see me playing Mindclash or whatever else boardgame CCP comes up?

Yes, of course!

Would you see me trade it for a simple chatbox and ship spinning?

Never!

Jayem See wrote:
Solecist Project is looking spectacularly good today. What a fab portrait. Smile

Gee, thanks honey! ;)
Sadly I can't take credit for the idea, though. ^_^

Johan Civire wrote:
But eve CCP can fill there pockets for sure. And at the end i hoop we get or big expanse bug fixs and everything we wants? So its a win win. Don`t see the problem and yes i like to have a drink with my fellow eve players.

You do not need to have avatar gameplay to have a drink with anyone in this game.
If you need the visual input, then you lack imagination and just like in the last post have far bigger problems.

Jayem See wrote:
It would appear there is quite a large demand for character driven content. Sadly there seems to be a player driven paradigm in which one can only exist without the other. Clearly a nonsense.
Character driven.
Yes.
About the characters.

There is so much that can be done ...
... and none of it needs WiS in any way or form.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#27 - 2015-01-05 07:52:31 UTC
Jayem See wrote:

*snip purely for tidy*

There are no plans. And if there were any plans, they would come after a potential Legion success and the end of its development cycle (minimum of 5 years from now), and as a fourth game based on EVE Online franchise (after DUST, Valkyrie

Oh, there is still demand. Most of the die-hard WiSers are unsubbed, though, and CCP is not interested on avatar gameplay. CCP Seagull moved from "unlikely, but anyway would be a new game" to "we're not interested any longer, this is a spaceships game".

And then, CCP Seagull is THE ONE to talk about the matter. Her plans are for spaceships only. Add on that everyone who worked with ingame avatar assets was fired (specially the Atlanta guys, to whom we owe almost everything). Plus, the fact that the almighty Art Team was never interested in avatars and certainly is too busy with spaceship features as to think about the silly legacy avatars. (They also are not interested in player logos, in case you wonder why they need to PBR every texture map right after they V3'ed them and why it takes 3 bloody years to put some bloody decals on some bloody spaceships).

So essentially you have a Executive Producer whose plans don't need nor want avatars, an Art Team whose word is Law and never wanted avatars to begin with and of course the unsubbing of everyone waiting for avatar gameplay.

It's dead, Jim.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Nami Kumamato
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2015-01-05 09:28:19 UTC
I for one support WiS. It would give EVE an even larger playground.
And it doesn't need to have many things inside - just a bar or a lounge where you could sit and chat with your buddies while glancing on the planet below silently spinning.
The immersion would be complete.

Plus nobody forces you to open the door if you don't want to.

Fornicate The Constabulary !

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#29 - 2015-01-05 09:35:14 UTC
By the way, this thread will be closed as redundant.
Not today and not by me.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Dominique Vasilkovsky
#30 - 2015-01-05 10:52:10 UTC
CCP had an idea, they failed to deliver it in the most spectacular way, they will not try again.

I would be happy if the removed the Captains Quarters and instead just gave us a bit more animated 3d character preview and more poses for the character portraits.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#31 - 2015-01-05 10:58:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Here's a thought: this is the subscriber base EVE will have as long as EVE stays what it is.

Thinking EVE will have some kind of success explosion while remaining space ships flying between stations is a dream.
Solecist Project
#32 - 2015-01-05 11:22:32 UTC
Dominique Vasilkovsky wrote:
CCP had an idea, they failed to deliver it in the most spectacular way, they will not try again.

I would be happy if the removed the Captains Quarters and instead just gave us a bit more animated 3d character preview and more poses for the character portraits.

Yay sister in mind!

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#33 - 2015-01-05 11:26:20 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
No clue what he is on about.

I have had LOTS of extra-vehicular activity in the last months
with so many people and they all enjoyed it!

Mmm, decompression injuries.
Solecist Project
#34 - 2015-01-05 11:34:43 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:
No clue what he is on about.

I have had LOTS of extra-vehicular activity in the last months
with so many people and they all enjoyed it!

Mmm, decompression injuries.

Most people I know actually suffered from compression issues and being stuck.

What are we talking about now??

Dominique Vasilkovsky
#35 - 2015-01-05 11:44:56 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Here's a thought: this is the subscriber base EVE will have as long as EVE stays what it is.

Thinking EVE will have some kind of success explosion while remaining space ships flying between stations is a dream.

CCP missed the boat, fell in the water and is fighting to stay afloat.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2015-01-05 13:36:01 UTC
I dunno about all that, I think they're doing fine staying afloat. However it might still be a problem sparing the labor to develop something new.

One option is a crowdfunding effort outside of subscriptions for new gameplay. This wouldn't only fund ideas, it would also ensure new features are worth having before they're developed.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#37 - 2015-01-05 14:51:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Rain6637 wrote:

That summarizes what has become increasingly obvious since Incarna. No matter what everyone expected from avatar content/gameplay, it was the only way that EVE stopped standing on one leg.

EVE is a great game, but it's only a fraction of how great it would have been with avatar gameplay. EVE needed a fresh start, and everything since Incarna is second chance, going on with what we got instead of starting anew in unexplored grounds of gameplay, content and player interaction.

And lest not forget that spaceships gameplay faces its own issues; ask twenty veterans and you'll get twenty different and mutually excludent lists of those issues...
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#38 - 2015-01-05 15:24:29 UTC
CCP Seagull moved from "unlikely, but anyway would be a new game" to "we're not interested any longer, this is a spaceships game".

Seagull has decided to drag EVE kicking and screaming into the long-hoped-for 2.0 iteration, which is only--what--about 8 years late? The ~someday~ features are now either on the road map now or off completely.

From what I've gathered, mostly from CSM documents, CCP seems content with Legion being the avatar gameplay. Maybe it will grow beyond the current lobby shooter paradigm, especially if CCP is still trying for a Grand Unified Clone that can be a legionnaire, a capsuleer and a valkyrie? Only they know.

Legion solves the problem of avatars being difficult to efficiently individuate by making them interchangeable cyborg-looking things, which at least allows them to solve some problems before moving on to others, instead of trying to solve them all at once. The problem is that the difficulties that they're punting down the road are the really hairy ones, but maybe they're hoping that client hardware will have the computational power to handle it by then? I don't know.

I agree that the timeline we're looking at is likely measured in years.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#39 - 2015-01-05 15:40:32 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:

EVE is a great game, but it's only a fraction of how great it would have been with avatar gameplay.

Bullpucky.

How is somehow having an avatar that can walk around and touch things (aka the thing we can all do in real life simply by standing up) somehow supposed to enhance a game about spaceships? If Avatar gameplay is so important, when not play that aweful Star Wars MMo or that aweful Star Trek MMO (and why didn't these games that have avatar game play kill EVE as predicted by every WiS fanatic)?

Avatars are a distraction to those of us who like what EVE is about. Avatars don't make trading easier or building ships faster. It doesn't help me kill rats faster or do missions faster. And unless you do some wonky and out of place first person shooter crap ala DUST it can't help you conquer or hold space. Not without a huge re-write of the game that would take years.

I think many (could even be most) EVE players tend to be practical/pragmatic types who don't much care about 'fluff' and 'immersion' (this is why the EVE role play community is microscopic compared to like communities in other games). Avatar gameplay is either useless fluff (yay i can watch a visual representation of myself sit down i a space station and play poker) or contrived fluff (yay I now have to go EVE from my ship in dangerous space in other to hack that node while someone scans me down and pops my ship, yay).

No thanks. Being Captain of a futuristic space battleship is enough, and CCP has proven to be a good SMALL game company that can put out an excellent FOCUSED product, but it's also one that failed when it got to big and failed when it tried to do more than EVE. CCP repeating the past by trying to 'branch out' and 'get more players' can only end in failure (again).

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#40 - 2015-01-05 15:46:30 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
]

Good.

have you seen the rest of the (non-EVE) 'gaming community'? Ever spent a single second listening to people in a public WoW, WoT or LoL teamspeak/mumble channel, or Xbox live etc? More N-words than a NWA song. Hell, Once I was a member of INIT and spent a week listening to Goons on comms and that was tame compared to what's out there, and that's saying something lol.

Anything that keeps that out and EVE community quality high (and adult) is a good thing.